Who to Blame?

Where do you start with the problems on this team? Slaters has had some strong recruiting classes, but his better players usually end up being drafted. As a coach, its good to recruit a kid like Rasmus, but expect to lose those guys and make sure that you have a replacement for them. There is some real good young talent on this team, but way too many holes. Skinner at SS, good kid, but not an SEC caliber player. and then you have guys like Bristow, who was suppose to be a big time two way player. He has an ERA over 9 and rarely plays the field. Is it that the kid is not tough enough, or does the coaching staff not show the confidence in the kid. Like someone else a couple of years ago by the name of Mike Felix?? Remember him, he was asked to leave by Tom Slater.

Then there are the excuses, Auburn lost because of ........., how about just taking the blame and saying that they lost because they didnt get it done!!! Just like last night, if Auburn would have lost it would have been the bad umpiring! Thats college baseball, umpires are always bad, Auburn got the bad yesterday and won, and got the good against Troy, and lost!

But the most important problem with this team, is there confidence. They have lost it in themselves, and there coaching staff. Just ask some of the players, they will tell you!

Slater is a good recruiter................and that's about it.

Umpires are always bad? Geez, I don't know why I should even step back on the field then. :poke: Umpires and referees...another of life's thankless jobs. Nobody pats you on the back when you get it right, but they sure will let you know when you get it wrong. :lol: But you know, even if I was not paid to do it, I would probably still do it as a volunteer because I love being around the kids and at the ballpark. I have coached for many years and I have umpired for many years and I can't tell you which is harder and which is more fun. I can tell that both have to put up with some idiot parents. :big:

Besides that, I agree with you. I have been saying all year that it is not all on Slater. The guys have been making mistakes that should have been out of their system back in little league. Pitching being inconsistent and defensive errors have killed us this year. However, it is Slater's job to get that corrected and he has not. It makes you have to question how good of a leader he is.

Speaking of umpires, guys I really do get tired of how Bramlett and company are so critical of the umpiring. That is my biggest pet peeve when listening to the games and it happens just about every game. It just comes across as completely whiney and trying to make excuses. Heck, I remember a couple of weeks ago how they were dogging the plate umpire before the game had even started, talking about how inconsistent and bad he was. When you are anticipating bad umpiring, then you are going to look for it in every call and find a reason to complain. Sometimes I just want to tell Bramlett to STFU about the umpiring and quit sounding like a baby.

The problem is coaching. Unlike Football and Basketball, baseball is more fundamentals and coaching than raw talent. If Auburn continues to refuse to pay top dollar for a proven baseball coach they are never going to get back where they were in the mid 90's. Look at the other sports programs around the SEC. This is not just in baseball. Look at Florida, LSU, Tennessee, and even bammer. They are paying top dollar for coaches but we aren't. It doesn't take a business genius to figure out that if you pay alot of money for a great coach, you are going to may it all back and then some. Hosting regionals in baseball, NCAA tournament in basketball, and SEC championships and bowl games in football. On top of that attendance will improve. I don't know if our administration just doesn't have enough sense or that just don't give a damn? I expect Slater to be gone at the end of the season and we will hire a coach that is the most convenient and least expensive.

Why is it that all of the "Great" players we recruit get drafted and opt to go pro while other programs, like South Carolina, LSU (Not this year), Texas, Rice, ASU, FSU, Miami etc. keep their players. They recruit the top players around the country and I'm sure those kids are just as coveted, or more by the pros. But, those programs consistently put the best teams on the field. How is it that they keep such a high number of quality players while Auburn's recruits decide to try the big leagues.

Why is it that all of the "Great" players we recruit get drafted and opt to go pro while other programs, like South Carolina, LSU (Not this year), Texas, Rice, ASU, FSU, Miami etc. keep their players. They recruit the top players around the country and I'm sure those kids are just as coveted, or more by the pros. But, those programs consistently put the best teams on the field. How is it that they keep such a high number of quality players while Auburn's recruits decide to try the big leagues.

Why should recruits stay at Auburn, when coaching-wise, they may improve, they may not?

This weekend was umpires... They missed many calls for both sides. Although it did not "cost" the game for us on sunday that first "run" was not a run. The runner has yet to touch home plate. It set the momentum for the rest of the game.

This weekend was umpires... They missed many calls for both sides. Although it did not "cost" the game for us on sunday that first "run" was not a run. The runner has yet to touch home plate. It set the momentum for the rest of the game.

That sounds like a bammer excuse. That's a bunch of crap. Anyway, teams that are well-coached and well-prepared overcome "bad calls". I'm tired of hearing excuses. I sure hope the admins at Auburn don't think this way, because if they do, we're stuck with Slater.

That sounds like a bammer excuse. That's a bunch of crap. Anyway, teams that are well-coached and well-prepared overcome "bad calls". I'm tired of hearing excuses. I sure hope the admins at Auburn don't think this way, because if they do, we're stuck with Slater.

Why do recruits end up at other schools when Auburn doesnt get them??? As a coach, you need to get a read from your players where there interest is. Some of those high draft picks decide to stay in school. Some of those kids are going pro from day 1. If you sign those guys, you need to prepare yourself in case you lose them. Of course Auburn did get Bristow, who was a high draft pick. Some say he is overrated, some say he is not tough enough. Last I heard about a kid at Auburn not being tough enough was a kid name Mike Felix. Auburn couldnt fit him in the mix, and he goes to Troy and becomes a 2nd round draft pick, and he hits 380 for them. Of course he did hit a Homerun and pick up 2 saves against the Auburn Tigers. Maybe its not the talent, maybe its the guy who controls the talent. Lets go get that coach from Troy, he seems to keep winning, and is quite successful in the state of Alabama!

So, what is the take here. Is Slater finished or get another year? Team is 7 and 17 with a series at home with Vandy and on the road with KY. Does anyone expect them to exceed last years record of 9 and 21? My take is that they win one more, maybe two. Vandy is a powerhouse and KY will go in to the last weekend fighting for a spot in the SEC tournament. I looked back at AU baseball history. AU has never had a three year stretch where they have been this bad. Slater's 3 year win percentage is going to be around .340. That is with the first year being .430. So does AU administration make a change? My take is they should. Players nor the team has gotten any better over the past three years. Pitching is terrible, hitting is so-so and fielding is not SEC caliber. The only thing this team excels at is running. JMO

I hope he's like the steak on my grill.............

DONE!

Dear Jay Jacobs,

Please consider me for your future opening of Head Baseball Coach at Auburn University. I would have made you a great coach 2 years ago, but it's still not too late.

Sincerely,

Casey Dunn

Hire me. I'm coaching T-ball this year and we haven't lost a game yet. Of course, we don't actually keep score but I rarely sweat the minor details.

Dear Jay Jacobs,

Please consider me for your future opening of Head Baseball Coach at Auburn University. I would have made you a great coach 2 years ago, but it's still not too late.

Sincerely,

Casey Dunn

Casey is not ready yet. Someday he will be a great coach, but he needs more experience. I know Casey personally and I grew up playing baseball with him. Someday he will be great, just like his dad, but he needs time to get the experience. If the administration does not make a change at the end of the year, Auburn's baseball program will be the laughing stock of the SEC. If it were LSU, FLorida, UT, or bammer, he would have been gone last year. There is no excuse for this kind of performance every year. I would give him the benefit of the doubt if they had made some improvement since year 1, but they have not gotten any better. What Auburn needs to do is spend the money to hire a proven winner. Will they do it? Probably not, it's too inconvenient and too expensive.

Slater's 3 year win percentage is going to be around .340.

That shouldn't be too surprising. When we hired him his record was 50-100, .333. Excuse me if I detect a pattern here...

Archived