Jacobs: Slater's job is safe

http://blog.al.com/trackingtigers/2007/05/...ob_is_safe.html

OK, I didn't want him when Auburn hired him - I thought Lowe should have gotten the job. But, I was willing to give the guy the benefit of the doubt and give him a couple of years. I thought he had turned it around at Auburn when they went 18-3 prior to SEC play this year. But this guy has got to go. He can't seem to get it done and I've heard that many of the players don't like him. To say I'm disappointed is a gross understatement.

Good grief. What has this guy shown that demonstrates he's "got a plan" that actually works. We totally wilted in conference play again this year. I'm tired of it and think we can do better.

That was exactly my thoughts to MDM. I did not agree with the hiring, but was more then willing to give him a chance. I kind of had a feeling that Slater may get another year to prove himself. The team would be mostly his recruits, so he has no excuses if his "plan" fails.

I just know next year to not get my hopes up no matter how dominating we may be before SEC play starts. I just hope we are not losing another year by keeping this guy around when we could maybe have a new coach to start his plan next year.

Here is the question that everybody wants to know...if they do fire Slater after next year because he continues his same pattern, will Jacobs and the PTBs just hire another mediocre coach to repeat this all over again? I know there is plenty of smaller successful Div-1 coaches that would love to come to :au: . Let's at least hire somebody with a winning record next time. It is a crying shame that Coach Baird did not become the AD. <_<

I admit that I don't follow baseball as closely as football or basketball, but I do look for the box scores in the paper and check the gametracker on weekends. This season has been a disaster. Off to such a great pre-season and crashed during sec play (AGAIN). Now it appears that Slater is around for next year. Marsh gone and Slater stays -- does anyone else possibly have a problem with how our athletic department is handling things??

I admit that I don't follow baseball as closely as football or basketball, but I do look for the box scores in the paper and check the gametracker on weekends. This season has been a disaster. Off to such a great pre-season and crashed during sec play (AGAIN). Now it appears that Slater is around for next year. Marsh gone and Slater stays -- does anyone else possibly have a problem with how our athletic department is handling things??

Is Jacobs trying to dismantle our athletic program? He should have moved heaven and earth to keep Marsh - a given National Championship - and tried to get Lowe, who wanted more than anything to coach at Auburn, yet he keeps Slater - our version of Mike Shula.

Is Jacobs trying to dismantle our athletic program? He should have moved heaven and earth to keep Marsh - a given National Championship - and tried to get Lowe, who wanted more than anything to coach at Auburn, yet he keeps Slater - our version of Mike Shula.

I am more shocked he hasn't met with him since before the season. I love giving the coaches the space to run the show, but no meetings during the season? What else do you do with your time in Feb, Mar, and April to not have a meeting with the baseball coach, or any of the the coaches who are "in season"

The thing that disturbs me is Jacobs doesn't seem to be too concerned about the program at all. Hey, Slater's got a plan. It's a good plan. I like the plan. We don't agitate the plan. Who's agitatin' my plan? You agitatin' my plan?

The thing that disturbs me is Jacobs doesn't seem to be too concerned about the program at all. Hey, Slater's got a plan. It's a good plan. I like the plan. We don't agitate the plan. Who's agitatin' my plan? You agitatin' my plan?

Do not taunt the plan! Do not look directly at the plan. Do not expose the plan to direct sunlight...

Guest Tigrinum Major

You don't worry about the plan. Let me worry about the plan.

Hey, it worked for the junior executive at PlanEx.

That was exactly my thoughts to MDM. I did not agree with the hiring, but was more then willing to give him a chance. I kind of had a feeling that Slater may get another year to prove himself. The team would be mostly his recruits, so he has no excuses if his "plan" fails.

I just know next year to not get my hopes up no matter how dominating we may be before SEC play starts. I just hope we are not losing another year by keeping this guy around when we could maybe have a new coach to start his plan next year.

Here is the question that everybody wants to know...if they do fire Slater after next year because he continues his same pattern, will Jacobs and the PTBs just hire another mediocre coach to repeat this all over again? I know there is plenty of smaller successful Div-1 coaches that would love to come to :au: . Let's at least hire somebody with a winning record next time. It is a crying shame that Coach Baird did not become the AD. <_<

I don't agree with the " plenty of smaller Div-1 coahes". AU baseball is top notch. Facilites, fans, history. We should have a coaches dying for this job; those with both college and professional experience. We should not settle for something less than this program deserves, and that is what we have now.

I don't agree with the " plenty of smaller Div-1 coahes". AU baseball is top notch. Facilites, fans, history. We should have a coaches dying for this job; those with both college and professional experience. We should not settle for something less than this program deserves, and that is what we have now.

The way the program is right now, we are not going to lure a coach away from another big name program and more then likely not lure a coach at the professional level either. Besides there is nothing wrong with hiring a coach from a smaller school if he has been successful there. Take Casey Dunn as a good example. Look what he has done at Samford in such a short period of time. Why would you not give a guy like that a chance?

Don't misunderstand my post and think that a coach from a smaller school is the only option I think we have, but more then likely that is where he would come from if Slater was to ever lose his job.

The way the program is right now, we are not going to lure a coach away from another big name program and more then likely not lure a coach at the professional level either. Besides there is nothing wrong with hiring a coach from a smaller school if he has been successful there. Take Casey Dunn as a good example. Look what he has done at Samford in such a short period of time. Why would you not give a guy like that a chance?

Don't misunderstand my post and think that a coach from a smaller school is the only option I think we have, but more then likely that is where he would come from if Slater was to ever lose his job.

For all the Casey Dunn huggers... The OVC standings directly from their website.

Baseball

Team OVC Overall

Austin Peay 15-6 32-17

Jacksonville State 14-7 27-22

Southeast Missouri State 13-7 28-19

Murray State 10-9 16-29

Eastern Kentucky 9-9 20-23 -1

Tennessee Tech 10-11 24-23

Eastern Illinois 8-12 19-24

Morehead State 8-13 15-31

Samford 8-13 23-26

UT Martin 6-14 18-30

He is not ready to coach Samford much less Auburn. I don't know him or anything about him but right now 90% of Auburn fans would praise his hiring and I dont know why. He is at the bottom of a very bad baseball conference. We need to find a good coach/recruiter that will make a splash in the baseball world. We are very stagnant and we could use a big hire the way UAT needed a big hire for their football program. They had tried the hire from within the family thing and they had tried hiring other smaler program coaches and it didnt work. Our baseball team has done the same stuff. Now it is time for a completely different approach.

For all the Casey Dunn huggers... The OVC standings directly from their website.

Baseball

Team OVC Overall

Austin Peay 15-6 32-17

Jacksonville State 14-7 27-22

Southeast Missouri State 13-7 28-19

Murray State 10-9 16-29

Eastern Kentucky 9-9 20-23 -1

Tennessee Tech 10-11 24-23

Eastern Illinois 8-12 19-24

Morehead State 8-13 15-31

Samford 8-13 23-26

UT Martin 6-14 18-30

He is not ready to coach Samford much less Auburn. I don't know him or anything about him but right now 90% of Auburn fans would praise his hiring and I dont know why. He is at the bottom of a very bad baseball conference. We need to find a good coach/recruiter that will make a splash in the baseball world. We are very stagnant and we could use a big hire the way UAT needed a big hire for their football program. They had tried the hire from within the family thing and they had tried hiring other smaler program coaches and it didnt work. Our baseball team has done the same stuff. Now it is time for a completely different approach.

Excactly right. AU can draw a top notch proven college baseball coach. There has already been a committment to facilities. We are in a fantastic league and there is great high school baseball in a 500 mile radius. This program is prime for a top notch coach. We do not have to settle for an up and comer. I like Casey Dunn, but I do not believe he is the answer. Maybe in 5 ot 7 years, but not now.

I think it is pretty clear that Jacobs is not going to cut it as the AD. I don't think Baird would have cut it either because he is too soft. We need an AD that won't put up with this crap. I'm getting tired of hearing the excuses that we have alot of freshman, what was the excuse for last year and the year before. If you look at the top programs around the conference, they don't put up with this. I would rather have an AD that is quick to make changes than an AD that waits until the program has already gone down the toilet before a change is made. And if he doesn't get his head out of his ass, we will lose Coach Lebo.

Okay, so jacobs runs of NC winning coaches and loves perennial losers who show no signs of hope?

I think he has it backwards.

Okay, so jacobs runs of NC winning coaches and loves perennial losers who show no signs of hope?

I think he has it backwards.

I know Jacobs didn't hire Slater, but 50-100 is anything but a winner. First, a good AD gets rid of the coaches that are not progressing forward and goes out and hires a coach with a proven track record or great potential for success. If Jacobs was a great AD, he would get rid of Slater and go out and hire a Coach with a proven track record or somebody that is primed for success.

Archived