Despite the win today...

Guest Tigrinum Major

Guest Tigrinum Major

Yes, we actually salvaged a game against top ranked Vandy, 5-4 I believe was the score.

We showed promise in the series, losing one in extra innings, winning one and losing one that was respectable, considering the competition.

This team frustrates me. I don't have the answers. I know many of you are saying that Slater should be gone after this season. I am torn. I'd like to see him get one more chance, with the understanding that the seat is nuclear. SEC Tourney and NCAA berth next year. No exceptions.

Am I too nice of a guy?

Yes, we actually salvaged a game against top ranked Vandy, 5-4 I believe was the score.

We showed promise in the series, losing one in extra innings, winning one and losing one that was respectable, considering the competition.

This team frustrates me. I don't have the answers. I know many of you are saying that Slater should be gone after this season. I am torn. I'd like to see him get one more chance, with the understanding that the seat is nuclear. SEC Tourney and NCAA berth next year. No exceptions.

Am I too nice of a guy?

Consistency is what I'm looking for. So what if we give the guy another year and he makes it to the SEC tourney and the regionals, can we expect that the majority of the time? Just because he does it one time does not make the program a top notch program. The program is top notch when it does it and is expected to do it every year. I don't think this guy is going to produce consistently. Jay Jacobs has lost alot of respect as AD because he has shown that he has no backbone when it comes to making difficult decisions that are best for the Auburn program. I have begun to question his leadership and whether he is qualified to be Auburn's Athletic Director. I hope I'm wrong.

Slater sucks. If you take away our 0-8 SEC start (I know, Bammer logic), we're still only 8-11 from that point on. Still terrible and still not headed in the right direction. :puke:

Next year Coach Slater will have no excuses about youth or any of that other nonsense. It will be produce a SEC tourney and NCAA berth or good riddance.

I have been saying something along those same lines also TM. I don't think the problem this year has been all Slater. Our losses have come from stupid errors and the pitching being inconsistent. That is very frustrating even for the best coach in the nation. However, Slater is held ultimately responsible for the team's performance. I think I would rather give him one more year, and like you said, make sure he knows that his job is not secure. After next year, the majority of the team will be his recruits and all of the players will have been under him long enough to know what is expected, so Slater will have no excuses and the PTBs will be able to say they had given him plenty of time.

Consistency is important, as PowerI pointed out, so do we keep him one more year, thus keeping some coaching consistency and see if it will pay off, or do we gamble and start all over again? Also, another problem is how consistent the PTBs are about not getting a decent caliber coach. If they do get rid of Slater, are we just going to have to settle for another crappy or mediocre coach and just keep repeating the mediocrity? If so, what have we accomplished by getting rid of Slater to begin with? If you are just going to hire the same caliber of a coach, you are better off just keeping the one you have.

Power brings up an excellant point. Lets say Slater gets another year and they do o.k. Make SEC Tournament and maybe NCAA.. That does not guarantee any consistant success and then are you locking yourself into another 2 years or so of very average performance. To me this guys past head coaching record and his years at AU are a pretty good indicator of what you can expect. Jacobson really needs to look at this.

Archived