Jim Wells retiring from UAT

Just an FYI, because of a couple of connections I had with former UAT athletes, I had the opportunity too work with Coach Wells in 1999 and he is a great coach. This man knows the game as well as anybody I had ever met. Sounds like something has went down at UAT that was not your normal "joyful retirement". Things that make you go hmmm....

Link

After 13 years, Wells leaves UA baseball

Tide coach, 52, tells school he’s retiring

By Josh Cooper

jcooper@decaturdaily.com · 340-2462

TUSCALOOSA — Jim Wells, the most successful baseball coach in Alabama history, announced his retirement Thursday.

Wells, 52, coached the Crimson Tide for 13 seasons and compiled a 553-272 (.670) record.

“Over the course of the last week, I have had discussions with (athletics director Mal) Moore about leaving The University of Alabama,” Wells said.

“There comes a time in everyone’s career when they have to make decisions on what is best for all concerned.” This does not sound like a statement from somebody retiring a happy man. What gives with this statement?

No replacement had been announced, though speculation is that Troy coach Bobby Pierce could be a front-runner. An Alabama alum, Pierce guided the Trojans to a 34-27 record and a No.3 seed in the Oxford Regional in the NCAA tournament. Pierce, 48, played at Alabama from 1980-81, where he was an All-SEC outfielder.

He also served as an assistant at the school from 1990 to 1994. From 1995 to 2002, he was the first baseball coach at The University of Alabama in Huntsville before taking the Troy job in 2003.

After winning the SEC West title in 2006, the 2007 season was a trying one for Wells. The team sputtered to a 31-26 overall record, 15-15 in conference.

The Tide won three of its final four series, taking two of three games from South Carolina, Arkansas and Mississippi State to get into the SEC tournament. But the team lost consecutive games in Hoover and was ousted on the second day.

Alabama did not make the NCAA tournament for the first time since 2004. The Tide also didn’t make it in 2001.

Those were the only seasons in Wells’ tenure at Alabama that the team did not make the NCAA tournament.

“It caught me by surprise,” said UAB baseball coach Brian Shoop.

Shoop added: “But it doesn’t shock me when coaches get out. The day the season ends, there is no down time. It just never stops.”

Wells led Alabama to six SEC tournament championships and three trips to the College World Series (1996, 1997 and 1999).

“I was saddened to hear of his wish to retire, but I completely understand and respect his reason for making this decision,” Moore said.

“After having several conversations with Jim over the last few days, it became evident to me that he feels strongly about this decision. I wish him the best in his future pursuits.”Again, comments that makes it sound like Coach Wells is not leaving UAT like he would have wanted too.

Wells was as a finalist for the LSU coaching position after the 2006 season.

The one biggest gripe I heard about Wells is his treatment (overuse?) of pitchers during his era at the Capstone. Think about it - what great pitchers has Bama had over the time period he's been there?

The two with the biggest MLB impact are Lance Cormier, who is currently an embarrassment to both the city of Tuscaloosa and the University with his woeful attempts for the Braves this year, and Taylor Tankersley, a not-that-great reliever for the Marlins.

he is known around SEC circles for killing the arms of promising young pitchers by having them throw way too many pitches on a regular basis

Well, it so happens I worked with the pitchers, and I can tell you that whatever you heard did not go on while my friend played for him and while I was there for that 1999 season. Wells actually let his pitching staff do their thing and did not meddle that much. One of the reasons I was there as a volunteer coach (practices only) was that his philosophy was that if he could get more help from others like me that had pitching experience at the college level, even as short as my career was, it could only help the staff.

To be honest, and it is hard to say this about a UAT coach, but I learned more about coaching in that one year then I had ever learned from anybody else. I took what I learned and used it in the Dixie Majors (17-18) and American Legion teams I had coached after that. If you were to talk to former players, the very large majority will swear to you that he is a baseball god and he also was very big on discipline and integrity. You don't hear of UAT baseball players getting in trouble like you do about the other program at UAT.

Regardless of what you may have heard about him, the man knew the game and it is hard to find fault with what he has done at UAT. He got that job done there and that is all that counts when judging him as a coach.

Guest Tigrinum Major

...and he also was very big on discipline and integrity. You don't hear of UAT baseball players getting in trouble like you do about the other program at UAT.

Not to be argumentative (ok, maybe a little), when do you hear of any college baseball players (or any other sports besides football and basketball for that matter) getting into trouble?

I cannot think of a single instance of a report of minor or major problems with discipline outside of the two major sports. Why? Not because they don't get into trouble, but because no one cares enough to write about it. College baseball teams have the worst academic records of any sports, mainly due to the way their seasons run. When was the last time the New York Times made an issue of that?

He might be a great guy and a strict disciplinarian, but lack of news reports doesn't prove lack of issues.

You are just being argumentative. But that is just what you do, right?

I was not talking about news reports, but what you hear as fans of your respective teams and around campuses. Say for example, if one of our players had gotten into some off the field troubles, it may not be in the fishwraps, but we would probably get wind of it. But, my point was that his players do not get in trouble at all, regardless of what gets reported in newspapers or not.

I worked alongside the guy and so forgive me for not being an :au::homer: this time and trying to dispell some hearsay about the guy. I think sometimes we get so caught up in the rivalry that we forget that the coaches are even just guys like us, so instead we believe anything we hear about them just because they are a rival. Note this, that if you are winning a lot of your games, your starters are going to stay in longer then teams on the bottom.

Just for comparison, Vandy's David Price pitched 133 innings this year in 18 outings. That is 7.3 innings per outing. The only UAT pitcher to throw over 100 innings was Tommy Hunter who threw 107 innings. The #2 and #3 pitchers for UAT threw 90 and 71 innings respectively. If you will compare out pitchers innings to UAT's, you will find a similar average. Nobody on :au: pitched more then 70 innings, but then again, as I stated, we were not exactly winning a lot of games for any pitcher to stay in too long. Unfortunately I could not find season stats that included pitch counts, but innings pitched So, like I said, you can go by what you hear or you can look at the stats, but for me, I know what kind of coach he is personally.

Given our baseball's program past few years, are any of you trying to tell me you would not have wanted Coach Wells after Coach Baird retired?

Are you that bored? Of all the things I pointed out about Coach Wells' coaching abilities, you want to debate about how often we hear about baseball players getting in trouble? Stick to the subject BF. :moon:

Guest Tigrinum Major

You pointed out as proof that he was a great disciplinarian the fact that you don't hear any of his kids getting into trouble. I pointed out that no one ever hears about any baseball players getting into trouble because no one cares.

Does that prove Tommy Slater is a great disciplinarian? Nope.

You might be right, he might be the strictest guy this side of Steve Spurrier (at least in regards to quarterbacks), but your citation of the lack of press reports concerning his players doesn't prove the same.

By the way, you went off on another rant about his utilization of pitchers after the conversation turned to discipline. I couldn't give a rat's rear end whether he shredded some kids' arms or not.

So, your point is that because we don't hear about UAT or AU players in the news, it does not mean anything? Would that probably not mean that the coaches are keeping the kids in check? Umm...there are other sports making the news now when college players are alleged to get out of hand. Duke Lacrosse? Don't forget the college baseball team out in California that had players charged with rape of a teenage girl...that was national news for a few days and you still see it every now and then. if an AU or UAT player got a DUI or something similar, you bet we would have heard about it, if it did not get covered up. :big:

But, the integrity and discipline that Coach Wells instills is not the part that should even be debated, because there is nothing to debate about. The hearsay that he ruins arms is where I want to see some proof on, because the stats do not support that. The fact that you do not care if he shreds a kids arm or not just shows that all the other posters on this thread are smarter then you about this subject. :poke:

Look TM, just because you did not get a banana sliced up in you Cheerios this morning does not mean you have to be all argumentative. :big:

Can we get back to the point of the thread and wondering why Wells is leaving in the manner that he is? What fun is a conspiracy thread if nobody is going to play along.

Guest Tigrinum Major

I think it is clear why he was leaving - his concern over the perceived slight that Alabama baseball was receiving from the administration, his desire to spend more time with family (his mother is in failing health) and his feeling that he has taken Alabama baseball to great things and wants to leave on top. Mal Moore asked him to stay at least one more year.

I don't eat breakfast.

I am not debating his discipline. I don't know about it. But the fact that we don't hear about Alabama baseball players running amok on campus via the newspapers and internet sites doesn't prove it. That seemed to be your main contention concerning discipline, that we don't hear reports.

I didn't hear anything about the California baseball players. I could just as easily ignore Alabama transgressions. As far as your Duke analogy, that one wouldn't have seen the light of day if not for Nifong using it to further his re-election campaign. (That turned into a political quagmire, didn't it?)

Ok, ok, he's a great guy. He's a successful coach that may or may not manage pitchers well. You've got a huge man crush on him.

We get it.

Just say you have no clue why he is leaving instead of making stuff up.

Try eating breakfast every now and then. I am sure your co-workers would appreciate you improving on you "sunny disposition" in the morning.

As far as my man crush goes, how about leaving my personal life out of the discussion. I don't bring up your dissociative identity disorder on the board do I? <like it is much of a secret>

Guest Tigrinum Major

Just say you have no clue why he is leaving instead of making stuff up.

Here's a link:

Wells weary of facility fight, pressure to win

Harder to understand is why Wells, the winningest coach in any sport in Alabama history, is walking away. Sources said one big reason is his unhappiness that planned improvements inside and outside of Sewell-Thomas Stadium have been put on the back burner.

The Joe got a new scoreboard and JumboTron in the past year, but the last major renovation came in 1999. The old yard was built in 1947.

There's also plenty of wear and tear on Wells. He's just 52 years old, but he's been a college head coach for 18 seasons and more than 1,100 games.

Baseball is the hardest college sport to coach, and it's getting harder.

The NCAA has passed an entire package of academic reforms that'll put serious restrictions on how baseball programs use their limited scholarships.

And the expectations/demands from administrators and fans are rising quicker than a fastball off the sweet spot of an aluminum bat.

And another:

Jim Wells Retires

The 52-year-old Wells was hired in 1995 and quickly turned a moribund Alabama baseball program into a national powerhouse, leading the school to three College World Series appearances in his first five seasons.

He cited a desire to spend time with his family as the key reason for his retirement. Friends said his mother's health also was a concern.

"There comes a time in everyone's career when they have to make decisions on what is best for all concerned," Wells said. "This was a decision that was not easy for me, because my family and I have the deepest love and respect for the University of Alabama.

I don't make stuff up.

Try eating breakfast every now and then. I am sure your co-workers would appreciate you improving on you "sunny disposition" in the morning.

I have a wonderful disposition. I am enjoying this conversation immensely.

As far as my man crush goes, how about leaving my personal life out of the discussion. I don't bring up your dissociative identity disorder on the board do I? <like it is much of a secret>

You're right, I shouldn't have brought up your personal life. I apologize. I'd hate for you to make an issue out of the fact that I changed my handle on here to combat boredom and inject a little humor into the situation. Oh, the humanity!

Apparently, the sarcasm in my post was lost. I did not really think you were making stuff up. I have read the same articles also, but I think the real reasons for Wells leaving, such as his unhappiness with the administration, is just another sign of how Mal Moore is killing the UAT athletic program.

Again, if you would have that breakfast, you might be able to see sarcasm better instead of just handing it out. :poke:

I think it is clear why he was leaving - his concern over the perceived slight that Alabama baseball was receiving from the administration, his desire to spend more time with family (his mother is in failing health) and his feeling that he has taken Alabama baseball to great things and wants to leave on top. Mal Moore asked him to stay at least one more year.

I don't eat breakfast.

I am not debating his discipline. I don't know about it. But the fact that we don't hear about Alabama baseball players running amok on campus via the newspapers and internet sites doesn't prove it. That seemed to be your main contention concerning discipline, that we don't hear reports.

I didn't hear anything about the California baseball players. I could just as easily ignore Alabama transgressions. As far as your Duke analogy, that one wouldn't have seen the light of day if not for Nifong using it to further his re-election campaign. (That turned into a political quagmire, didn't it?)

Ok, ok, he's a great guy. He's a successful coach that may or may not manage pitchers well. You've got a huge man crush on him.

We get it.

Link please

Guest Tigrinum Major

Apparently, the sarcasm in my post was lost. I did not really think you were making stuff up. I have read the same articles also, but I think the real reasons for Wells leaving, such as his unhappiness with the administration, is just another sign of how Mal Moore is killing the UAT athletic program.

Again, if you would have that breakfast, you might be able to see sarcasm better instead of just handing it out. :poke:

Apparently so.

Don't make me go all Mike Tyson on you and tell you what I'd eat for breakfast.

I don't eat breakfast.

We get it.

Link please

That quote feature is an elusive creature, no?

The link is three posts up.

I was just trying to be like you TM. Imitation is the best form or flattery, right? Do you eat lunch? Maybe a good lunch will do you some good.

I know for a fact that you drink eat dinner.

Guest Tigrinum Major

I ate greasy Dreamland ribs for lunch, topped off with some banana pudding. Quite tasty.

The manager at Dreamland is quite the disciplinarian. You never hear about his waitresses getting in trouble.

Umm...not true. Depends on which Dreamland location you are talking about.

But, my point was that his players do not get in trouble at all, regardless of what gets reported in newspapers or not.

Come on.

Seriously?

Do you believe that each member of the uat baseball team is perfect in every way, not one has so much has gotten caught drinking underage or anything else typical of college students?

Are you that bored? Of all the things I pointed out about Coach Wells' coaching abilities, you want to debate about how often we hear about baseball players getting in trouble? Stick to the subject BF. :moon:

At this point in the conversation he had mentioned nothing but the dicipline thing.

Actually still that's all he's mentioned still.

Come on.

Seriously?

Do you believe that each member of the uat baseball team is perfect in every way, not one has so much has gotten caught drinking underage or anything else typical of college students?

Now, now...don't confuse my words. I never said they were perfect and I never said they did not do anything they should not have. They are still just youngsters after all. I said they never got into trouble, at least while I was there. I knew for sure there was some underage drinking going on, but they also feared Coach Wells enough to not leave that apartment if they were intoxicated. Coach Wells also had some of us young volunteer coaches that "assisted" with discipline if a player was seen on The Strip a little inebriated. If you go back to my original post in reply to discipline, I compared the "trouble" to what players on the UAT football team seem to get themselves into. But then again, a few of our football players have not exactly been saints themselves.

But, this does bring up an interesting point about the mindset of football players compared to athletes of other "lesser" college sports. Do football players push the limits of what they think they can get away with because they are more "known" then the other sports at a Div-1 school? Does being a football player increase the chances of getting caught doing something wrong because maybe ego plays a part in it? I do know that football players are more then likely to get something covered up at a major university, so do they think they can get by with more, whereas a baseball player knows he has to be more careful because his indiscretion may get him kicked out of school instead of favors being done for him?

Guest Tigrinum Major

Come on.

Seriously?

Now, now...don't confuse my words. I never said they were perfect and I never said they did not do anything they should not have. They are still just youngsters after all. I said they never got into trouble, at least while I was there. I knew for sure there was some underage drinking going on, but they also feared Coach Wells enough to not leave that apartment if they were intoxicated. Coach Wells also had some of us young volunteer coaches that "assisted" with discipline if a player was seen on The Strip a little inebriated. If you go back to my original post in reply to discipline, I compared the "trouble" to what players on the UAT football team seem to get themselves into. But then again, a few of our football players have not exactly been saints themselves.

But, this does bring up an interesting point about the mindset of football players compared to athletes of other "lesser" college sports. Do football players push the limits of what they think they can get away with because they are more "known" then the other sports at a Div-1 school? Does being a football player increase the chances of getting caught doing something wrong because maybe ego plays a part in it? I do know that football players are more then likely to get something covered up at a major university, so do they think they can get by with more, whereas a baseball player knows he has to be more careful because his indiscretion may get him kicked out of school instead of favors being done for him?

So, they did get into trouble, just not enough trouble to be arrested or to have it reported, only enough to be disciplined by some assistant coaches? Were you in charge of Drumsticks or Eskimo Pies?

I can only speak for when I was there, but nobody ever got arrested and my buddy, who had played there in the mid 90's, said nobody ever got arrested during that time either. The "trouble" was if word would get back around to Coach Wells, or maybe one of us assistants saw one of them being in the wrong place. Then the discipline would be nothing any different then any other way any decent coach would handle it. I have to admit that is was fun to watch some of those guys literally get it out of their system the hard way the next day in practice. Freshman and JUCO transfers learned real quick what was expected of them.

These were pre-Shula days, so the ice-cream policy for the athletic department was not established yet. Things were a little tougher back then. We gave them chocolate chip cookies instead.

I can only speak for when I was there, but nobody ever got arrested and my buddy, who had played there in the mid 90's, said nobody ever got arrested during that time either. The "trouble" was if word would get back around to Coach Wells, or maybe one of us assistants saw one of them being in the wrong place. Then the discipline would be nothing any different then any other way any decent coach would handle it. I have to admit that is was fun to watch some of those guys literally get it out of their system the hard way the next day in practice. Freshman and JUCO transfers learned real quick what was expected of them.

These were pre-Shula days, so the ice-cream policy for the athletic department was not established yet. Things were a little tougher back then. We gave them chocolate chip cookies instead.

Just an observation, but you should stick to your point. You say one thing and if challenged even slightly skid off in another direction and raise a completely different issue.

This is a boring topic.

My only interest in Wells is if the UofA performs a nationwide search and settles on a young up and comer named Slater to head their program. I'd support that.

Guest Tigrinum Major

Why were the assistants in the wrong places where they saw players?

Bit of a double standard there.

Wells played a little loose with discipline based on what you've said here.

Archived