The BOT will announce this week

RunInRed

the approval of a $90M+ arena that will seat approximately 10k. The arena will be woven into the "west village" which will incorporate 8 new buildings of apartment-style dorms and a dining hall. I am not sure if 360 architects will make their schematics they provided the BOT public or not but my question is what features would everyone like to see in the new arena?

I don't have alot of necessary features. I am sure sound and scoreboard will be upgraded from what we had previously(big screen tv's taped together). As for the structure, I just hope we do something with alot of personality. I think a good criteria would be that when this arena gets older, it will be so unique and neat that the university would rather rennovate it than knock it down to start over again. I think BEM is a good example of what not to do. Don't build a big bland typical arena. Come up with some very unique features (architecturally(?) and fan feature-wise) that make it stadn apart from all other buildings. Things like the Crimson Tide lights/alternating ceiling colors in Coleman Coliseum make it unique. Cameron Indoor is a very small gym-like building with wood panels and brass rails. Most of the good arenas have something very unique that helps give them alot of personality. We just need something unique. The first thing that came to my mind was an indoor tiger/eagle cage. I know it is impossible and it is not necesarily ideally what I want, but it is the kind of unique/only Auburn has it thing that I am talking about.

It's about 20 years overdue, but I am very happy that a new arena is being built. Auburn, both its administration and a significant portion of its student body, has treated basketball like the orphan stepchild for much too long.

I for one would like to see the seating as close or closer as it already is. Keep the lebo's lunatics along the side of the court instead of behind the basket. I want it look very modern on the inside but yet the building of yesteryear... I.E. Plainsman Park.

I have the plans in my office, but they are too large for me to scan. I will make a copy of a couple of sections and post them soon. We are breaking them down so that all fire safety and code requirements are met.

I'm anxious to see the plans for the new building. I think it is the right move, although I do have some misgivings...that is a lot of money, and I know Beard Eaves is a sub-par facility, but that is where I took SCUBA and recieved my diploma, Sir Charles and Chris Porter played there and it has hosted a lot of concerts.

I agree it will be nice for the new arena to have an intimate feel. Basketball will always be second to football at Auburn, but there is no reason it can't be a fun experience for students, fans and players.

Auburn has really been on a building spree the last several years. How do the Shelby Transportation Center and the new Student Union look? Shelby is pretty much done, right? Is the Union taking shape?

Is there anyway to get your hands on stuff that is discussed in BOT meetings? I looked at the schedule posted on the auburn homepage and noticed several, less high profile projects that interest me personally (namely the 2nd phase of the pharmacy building, pedestrian plans and Cary Hall Rennovations to name a few). Is there a place where what is presented is made public (renderings, plans, etc) online or archived somewhere that the public can access it. I know we will all see the renderings for the arena because of the high interest in athletics, but I would love to see some of this other info.

"The arena would seat roughly 9,600 fans -- although Jacobs cautioned that the number isn't yet set in stone -- which is about 900 less than Beard-Eaves-Memorial Coliseum, Auburn's current home. "

I have to admit that it concerns me that they are even considering building a smaller arena than we currently have. Sorry, but I don't know how they can expect us getting a whole lot better than we are now, with that size.

Question: Why is this going to take 3 years to complete? Does it really take that long to build such a structure or are other factors involved? If so, what are they?

I have to admit that it concerns me that they are even considering building a smaller arena than we currently have. Sorry, but I don't know how they can expect us getting a whole lot better than we are now, with that size.

I understand what you are saying...

But I look at this way... We are not gonna draw that many people in the first place to games... And when we start drawing in more people. I'm not gonna complain how big of a problem it is to get tickets... Thats because 1) We are winning... 2) More support has been given to the program... Just because you have a small capacity does not mean it can't be intimidating or loud.

"You can point toward the arena as an example of the commitment to basketball here," Lebo said. "It's certainly impressive to be able to show people."

Is Coach Lebo going to carry around drawings of this thing on the recruiting trail or something? :big:

They have drawings up on rivals. Auburnsports.com has like ten renderings on there. Looks pretty good.

"The arena would seat roughly 9,600 fans -- although Jacobs cautioned that the number isn't yet set in stone -- which is about 900 less than Beard-Eaves-Memorial Coliseum, Auburn's current home. "

Cameron Indoor (Duke) only holds about 9300. We very rarely fill BEM as it is. Why go bigger?

Archived