Lowder Arena?

DKW 86

Possible wordplay aside ("Lowder needs to get louder", et al), the thought of another building with that name on it just makes me itch.

I'd just as soon name it after a former player...call it Barkley Arena or something like that.

Terrible idea. The sooner Lowder packs up and heads back to Montgomery the better. The last thing we need is his lingering ties via his name slapped on one of the most prominent buildings on campus.

If Lowder will write the 90 million dollar check he can name it Bear Bryant Memorial Coliseum.....Okay maybe that's taking it too far but if foots the bill he can name just about whatever he wants.

I think it'd be a bit greedy and pompous of him to name it after himself.

The Taj-Mahal of Auburn is already named Lowder.

It would make things confusing to call both the business building and the arena "Lowder".

That's alright. We can name it Lowder arena but after we win some national titles we'll rename it Lebo arena.

Not no but hell no, I'm happy that Bobby's public influence is all but stamped out at Auburn. I can just imagine Rane giving Lowder a reach over while he announced this lame idea.

Wow. That would be three buildings on campus to sport the Lowder name. Money definitely talks. And I guess that I'd rather have it named for an alum who gives money (even Lowder) than a corporate name:

"The University of Maryland plays in the Comcast Center, Providence plays in Dunkin Donuts Center and Ohio State plays in Value City Arena."

Those all suck.

I agree that it would be awesome if Sir Charles would toss in several million dollars and get the naming rights.

When the Chicago White Sox moved from the original Comiskey Park to a new stadium in '92 (?), they named the replacement stadium "New Comiskey Park"

The name of 'BEMC' should not disappear along with the building- If it were up to me, the new place would be called something like "BEMC 2" , "BEMC II" , "New BEMC" , ...

Whatever happens though, don't give it a name like our baseball facility.... ("Samford Stadium At Hitchcock Field At Plainsman Park") :poke:

When the Chicago White Sox moved from the original Comiskey Park to a new stadium in '92 (?), they named the replacement stadium "New Comiskey Park"

The name of 'BEMC' should not disappear along with the building- If it were up to me, the new place would be called something like "BEMC 2" , "BEMC II" , "New BEMC" , ...

Whatever happens though, don't give it a name like our baseball facility.... ("Samford Stadium At Hitchcock Field At Plainsman Park") :poke:

How about the "Keep it down home dome"....... courtesy of former assistant coach Larry Blakeney. :poke:

Some are proposing: The Jim Fyffe Memorial Arena

I like it but doubt it would ever happen.

Some are proposing: The Jim Fyffe Memorial Arena

I like it but doubt it would ever happen.

The house that Lowder built?

How about the "Keep it down home dome"....... courtesy of former assistant coach Larry Blakeney. :poke:

How about the "Yet Another Place For :ua: To Get Their Asses Handed To Them Arena" :moon::poke:

How about the "Yet Another Place For :ua: To Get Their Asses Handed To Them Arena" :moon::poke:

That might work. Might..... :rolleyes:

I read an earlier news article where Bobby Lowder said he didn't want the new arena named after him. This article pretty much implies a corporate name will adorn the new arena: Link

AUBURN -- Auburn trustees unanimously approved construction of a $92.5 million basketball arena Friday, the state's largest one-time expenditure for an athletic building.

The new complex will have 9,600 seats, two practice courts, a weight room, premium and courtside seating and 12 suites with outdoor areas that will also open on football Saturdays. The university will accept construction bids next spring, and the arena is expected to be ready for the 2010-11 season.

An artist's rendition was unveiled Thursday, when the board's Property and Facilities Committee OK'ed it.

Men's coach Jeff Lebo called the arena "a gigantic step for Auburn basketball."

"This is a monumental day for Auburn University, the Auburn athletics department and the future of Auburn men's and women's basketball," athletic director Jay Jacobs said. "Construction of a new arena will help our basketball programs compete for championships, give our fans and students a venue that they can enjoy, and provide a facility in which Auburn University can take great pride."

The arena will be built across the street from 40-year-old Beard-Eaves-Memorial Coliseum and separated from Jordan-Hare Stadium by a parking lot.

Former Auburn and NBA star Charles Barkley's response to the news: "It's about time. Basketball's been a stepchild there for so long," he told The Birmingham News.

The arena is designed to be more intimate than Beard-Eaves, with seating closer to the court. Design officials compared it to Duke's Cameron Indoor Stadium.

The university will fund about 65 percent of the cost through bonds and wants to raise the rest in donations. No money will come from Auburn's general fund.

"That's very different than most universities, no matter what they may say," said Bobby Lowder, chairman of the trustees' finance committee.

"I feel confident we'll have the money to do this. We've been working on this a long time, and I feel confident we'll have the funds in hand."

John Mouton, who oversees Auburn's campus building projects, said Beard-Eaves would probably be torn down in about five years.

Board members also indicated they were willing to sell naming rights for the arena to a corporation.

360 Architecture of Kansas City, Mo., has been working with Davis Architects of Birmingham on the design of the arena. Robins & Morton of Birmingham will serve as construction manager of the 243,792-square-foot facility.

"The new arena is part of an aggressive campus-wide effort to ensure that Auburn has state-of-the-art classrooms, research facilities, labs, residence halls and athletic facilities," Auburn President Ed Richardson said.

The new arena will feature chair back seats along with bleacher seating for students.

The scoreboard will feature a high-definition video board.

The Tigers' other arenas have been The Gymnasium (1906-16), Alumni Gym (1916-48) and the Sports Arena (1948-69).

Say what you want about Lowder, but the facts show he is an accomplished businessman with very good business instincts. The funding of this new basketball arena is a perfect example. Point out another public university that's adopted an all private donations funding plan for a capital improvement project of this magnitude. Disagree with him on specific topics, but give the guy his due when he does something right.

I assumed all along it would be coporate, but I have seen it twice in articles that the university approached two unnamed companies about naming rights and one said no and the other said maybe. Lowder said he did not want his name or Colonial's name on the arena so he may be the no. I think there is a pretty good chance that the university will be able to cover the costs without selling the naming rights and in that case they can name it for whomever they deem most worthy.

I read an earlier news article where Bobby Lowder said he didn't want the new arena named after him. This article pretty much implies a corporate name will adorn the new arena: Link

AUBURN -- Auburn trustees unanimously approved construction of a $92.5 million basketball arena Friday, the state's largest one-time expenditure for an athletic building.

The new complex will have 9,600 seats, two practice courts, a weight room, premium and courtside seating and 12 suites with outdoor areas that will also open on football Saturdays. The university will accept construction bids next spring, and the arena is expected to be ready for the 2010-11 season.

An artist's rendition was unveiled Thursday, when the board's Property and Facilities Committee OK'ed it.

Men's coach Jeff Lebo called the arena "a gigantic step for Auburn basketball."

"This is a monumental day for Auburn University, the Auburn athletics department and the future of Auburn men's and women's basketball," athletic director Jay Jacobs said. "Construction of a new arena will help our basketball programs compete for championships, give our fans and students a venue that they can enjoy, and provide a facility in which Auburn University can take great pride."

The arena will be built across the street from 40-year-old Beard-Eaves-Memorial Coliseum and separated from Jordan-Hare Stadium by a parking lot.

Former Auburn and NBA star Charles Barkley's response to the news: "It's about time. Basketball's been a stepchild there for so long," he told The Birmingham News.

The arena is designed to be more intimate than Beard-Eaves, with seating closer to the court. Design officials compared it to Duke's Cameron Indoor Stadium.

The university will fund about 65 percent of the cost through bonds and wants to raise the rest in donations. No money will come from Auburn's general fund.

"That's very different than most universities, no matter what they may say," said Bobby Lowder, chairman of the trustees' finance committee.

"I feel confident we'll have the money to do this. We've been working on this a long time, and I feel confident we'll have the funds in hand."

John Mouton, who oversees Auburn's campus building projects, said Beard-Eaves would probably be torn down in about five years.

Board members also indicated they were willing to sell naming rights for the arena to a corporation.

360 Architecture of Kansas City, Mo., has been working with Davis Architects of Birmingham on the design of the arena. Robins & Morton of Birmingham will serve as construction manager of the 243,792-square-foot facility.

"The new arena is part of an aggressive campus-wide effort to ensure that Auburn has state-of-the-art classrooms, research facilities, labs, residence halls and athletic facilities," Auburn President Ed Richardson said.

The new arena will feature chair back seats along with bleacher seating for students.

The scoreboard will feature a high-definition video board.

The Tigers' other arenas have been The Gymnasium (1906-16), Alumni Gym (1916-48) and the Sports Arena (1948-69).

Say what you want about Lowder, but the facts show he is an accomplished businessman with very good business instincts. The funding of this new basketball arena is a perfect example. Point out another public university that's adopted an all private donations funding plan for a capital improvement project of this magnitude. Disagree with him on specific topics, but give the guy his due when he does something right.

Maybe I'm missing it in the article - but where does Bobby Lowder say he didn't want the new arena named after him. With his ego?

Maybe I'm missing it in the article - but where does Bobby Lowder say he didn't want the new arena named after him. With his ego?

This has been quoted in multiple articles but here is just one for you. These quotes are why i say I assume Colonial was the corporate sponsor approached that said no and that Loder does not want his name on it. He could not have said it more blatantly.

The Huntsville Times

Naming AU arena not cheap

Saturday, June 30, 2007

By PHILLIP MARSHALL

Times Sports Staff pmarsh9485@msn.com

Corporate sponsor will likely pay $20-25 million

AUBURN - Auburn's $92.5 million basketball arena, given final approval Friday by the Board of Trustees, will probably be eventually named after a corporate donor.

So said Auburn president Ed Richardson.

The price tag for getting your company's name on the most expensive athletic building ever built in the state will be $20-25 million.

"I have approached a couple of large companies," Richardson said. "One has said it could not do it. The other one is still out. A company has to make a pretty major decision to go $20 million."

Early in the process, which began in late 2005, Richardson said it seemed Auburn might need such a donation to go forward with the project. That is no longer the case.

"Once we looked at the financing of it, we were able to pull together several sources of revenue," Richardson said. "It's not as essential. We believe in time that can occur, but the building can go forward without having to have that."

Richardson, who is retiring and will be replaced by Jay Gogue on July 16, said he did not anticipate the arena would be named after trustee Bobby Lowder, an idea supported by fellow trustee Jimmy Rane in an interview with The Times.

"No," Richardson said. "I saw that. No, but Mr. Lowder has been very helpful in the early discussions."

That's the way Lowder wants it. Page 2 of 2

Though he has already made a large financial pledge to the arena project, Lowder has told those close to him he does not want his name, his family's name or his company's name on the new arena. Already, the Edward L. Lowder and Catherine K. Lowder Business Building is named for his parents and the Charlotte G. Lowder Student Athlete Development Center is named for his wife.

Friday, the Board unanimously approved the arena project, as well as the building of an arena for Auburn's equestrian team. Because an anonymous donor pledged a million dollars, to go with another anonymous $3.5 million pledge, the budget for the equestrian center grew from $7 million to $9 million in 24 hours.

But the basketball arena, which will replace aging and worn Beard-Eaves Memorial Coliseum, was the centerpiece. The final hurdle will be cleared next spring with the acceptance of bids. Construction is set to begin next summer. The arena is expected to open in the fall of 2010.

Athletic director Jay Jacobs said the financial plan takes into account the possibility of rising costs.

"What we've done is be proactive instead of reactive, which is what we've tried to do for the past three years," Jacobs said. "We've built escalators in there to push out what the cost would be in a year. Turns of events in the world could certainly change that, but we have an attitude we're not going to fail. It's not going to be the biggest arena in the league, but it's going to be the doggoned best one.

"People are going to be proud to come to Auburn to watch basketball, and our student-athletes are going to be proud to compete in there with the facilities we have for them."

When men's coach Jeff Lebo and women's coach Nell Fortner arrived in the spring of 2004, they were told they could expect a new practice facility. But as time went on, that vision changed.

The arena will be north of Beard-Eaves Memorial Coliseum, in the same area as a new student housing development, for which ground was broken Friday morning.

There will also be a dining hall, food court, shops and other amenities.

Richardson said the arena project will not stress the athletic department's budget.

A bond issue, based on the department's share of last year's increase in student fees, will bring in $60-65 million. Donations are expected to cover the rest.

"We found out we had a little more (bond) capacity than we thought," Richardson said. "Then Tigers Unlimited stepped forward and said 'We'll raise $30 million for you.' We had $8-10 million in deferred maintenance that we were going to put into the old coliseum. So we are there already.

"Once you think about the dorms out there and this - and there'll bee a parking deck out there at some point - I think it's going to be a great addition."

Is it just me, or does 9,600 seem really small for a new basketball arena? I know the attendance hasn't been all that great in recent years and basketball isn't the dominate sport at Auburn, but what does having a 9,600 capacity arena say to the fans and future recruits about the university's expectations for the basketball program? I'm estatic that we're finally getting a new facility, but I wished the seating capacity had been a little bigger. To give you an idea, here are the seating capacities of the other SEC schools:

Tenn: 24,535

Kentucky: 23,000

Arkansas: 19,200

South Carolina: 18,000

Alabama: 15,341

Vanderbilt: 14,168

LSU: 13,472

Florida: 12,000 (subject to change considering recent success)

Georgia: 10,800

Mississippi State: 10,200

Ole Miss: 8,700

Is it just me, or does 9,600 seem really small for a new basketball arena? I know the attendance hasn't been all that great in recent years and basketball isn't the dominate sport at Auburn, but what does having a 9,600 capacity arena say to the fans and future recruits about the university's expectations for the basketball program? I'm estatic that we're finally getting a new facility, but I wished the seating capacity had been a little bigger. To give you an idea, here are the seating capacities of the other SEC schools:

Well if Auburn wasn't a small town the maybe the capacity would be larger. Basketball usually relies on local fanbase unlike football at most SEC schools. Most of the schools that have large arenas are in areas with a much bigger population than Auburn.

Well if Auburn wasn't a small town the maybe the capacity would be larger. Basketball usually relies on local fanbase unlike football at most SEC schools. Most of the schools that have large arenas are in areas with a much bigger population than Auburn.

Great point about local attendance. Football games are huge events and people will drive hours (and sometimes fly) just to go to a game. Basketball is more something to do with a few spare hours.

Also, with regard to the capacity of other SEC basketball venues, I'd be interested in seeing how close to capacity they fill those arenas on a regular basis. I'd rather have a 9,600 person venue that is full than a larger venue that is half-empty.

Tennessee rarely filled theirs. Im not even sure they fill it now that they are having success. They built it so that they would have the largest football and bball venue, not becuase they needed it. Some of those schools are the only major university in the state. Some are also located in/near larger metro areas than Auburn. Like many have said, basketball plays alot of games and they are not the destination that football games are. Bball also plays on Wednesday nights, which would be very difficult to get to the 7:00 tipoffs from most places outside of Auburn. Large venues do not equal great programs. We modeled what we are doing after Duke, who has a small arena, but a great program. Duke has proven if you take care of the students and put a good product on the court, then you can have a legendary program. That is what they are known for. Also, once they reconfigured BEMC, it did not hold much more that 9,600 so it wont be much of a change. Plus the new arena won't feel so large and cavernous because even the farthest seats are 20 feet closer to the court than the farthest seats in BEMC.

This has been quoted in multiple articles but here is just one for you. These quotes are why i say I assume Colonial was the corporate sponsor approached that said no and that Loder does not want his name on it. He could not have said it more blatantly.

The Huntsville Times

Naming AU arena not cheap

Saturday, June 30, 2007

By PHILLIP MARSHALL

Times Sports Staff pmarsh9485@msn.com

Corporate sponsor will likely pay $20-25 million

AUBURN - Auburn's $92.5 million basketball arena, given final approval Friday by the Board of Trustees, will probably be eventually named after a corporate donor.

So said Auburn president Ed Richardson.

The price tag for getting your company's name on the most expensive athletic building ever built in the state will be $20-25 million.

"I have approached a couple of large companies," Richardson said. "One has said it could not do it. The other one is still out. A company has to make a pretty major decision to go $20 million."

Early in the process, which began in late 2005, Richardson said it seemed Auburn might need such a donation to go forward with the project. That is no longer the case.

"Once we looked at the financing of it, we were able to pull together several sources of revenue," Richardson said. "It's not as essential. We believe in time that can occur, but the building can go forward without having to have that."

Richardson, who is retiring and will be replaced by Jay Gogue on July 16, said he did not anticipate the arena would be named after trustee Bobby Lowder, an idea supported by fellow trustee Jimmy Rane in an interview with The Times.

"No," Richardson said. "I saw that. No, but Mr. Lowder has been very helpful in the early discussions."

That's the way Lowder wants it. Page 2 of 2

Though he has already made a large financial pledge to the arena project, Lowder has told those close to him he does not want his name, his family's name or his company's name on the new arena. Already, the Edward L. Lowder and Catherine K. Lowder Business Building is named for his parents and the Charlotte G. Lowder Student Athlete Development Center is named for his wife.

Friday, the Board unanimously approved the arena project, as well as the building of an arena for Auburn's equestrian team. Because an anonymous donor pledged a million dollars, to go with another anonymous $3.5 million pledge, the budget for the equestrian center grew from $7 million to $9 million in 24 hours.

But the basketball arena, which will replace aging and worn Beard-Eaves Memorial Coliseum, was the centerpiece. The final hurdle will be cleared next spring with the acceptance of bids. Construction is set to begin next summer. The arena is expected to open in the fall of 2010.

Athletic director Jay Jacobs said the financial plan takes into account the possibility of rising costs.

"What we've done is be proactive instead of reactive, which is what we've tried to do for the past three years," Jacobs said. "We've built escalators in there to push out what the cost would be in a year. Turns of events in the world could certainly change that, but we have an attitude we're not going to fail. It's not going to be the biggest arena in the league, but it's going to be the doggoned best one.

"People are going to be proud to come to Auburn to watch basketball, and our student-athletes are going to be proud to compete in there with the facilities we have for them."

When men's coach Jeff Lebo and women's coach Nell Fortner arrived in the spring of 2004, they were told they could expect a new practice facility. But as time went on, that vision changed.

The arena will be north of Beard-Eaves Memorial Coliseum, in the same area as a new student housing development, for which ground was broken Friday morning.

There will also be a dining hall, food court, shops and other amenities.

Richardson said the arena project will not stress the athletic department's budget.

A bond issue, based on the department's share of last year's increase in student fees, will bring in $60-65 million. Donations are expected to cover the rest.

"We found out we had a little more (bond) capacity than we thought," Richardson said. "Then Tigers Unlimited stepped forward and said 'We'll raise $30 million for you.' We had $8-10 million in deferred maintenance that we were going to put into the old coliseum. So we are there already.

"Once you think about the dorms out there and this - and there'll bee a parking deck out there at some point - I think it's going to be a great addition."

Thank you. I guess I was wrong.

Archived