Is Nick Saban skirting the rules in recruiting?

RunInRed

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just go away. Nobody wants to hear you stick up for bama on an Auburn board. It's getting old BG.

Awww...you're new.

Please Hammer... don't hurt him.

Just go away. Nobody wants to hear you stick up for bama on an Auburn board. It's getting old BG.

Awww...you're new.

Mental image I didn't need. BG in gold pants...

Awww...you're new.

Mental image I didn't need. BG in gold pants...

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!! :roflol:

:au::homer:

BG you did a credible job deflecting the subject away from $aban's alledged cheating by pointing out the "vagueries" of some of the AU fans arguments and then turning it around with silly examples.

Why does the rest of the SEC call the new recruiting rules regarding spring contacts with recruits the...........................SABAN RULE.....??????...............Maybe because he "stretches" the rules?

BG you did a credible job deflecting the subject away from $aban's alledged cheating by pointing out the "vagueries" of some of the AU fans arguments and then turning it around with silly examples.

Why does the rest of the SEC call the new recruiting rules regarding spring contacts with recruits the...........................SABAN RULE.....??????...............Maybe because he "stretches" the rules?

link to information about CNS cheating?

link to other schools (not their fans) actually calling it the "SABAN RULE"?

This is an article by Ray Melick (Bammerham News). It references a Chicago Tribune article from the day prior. Do the fans call it the "Saban Rule" ??????..............Of course!!!.......It is what it is!!!!

Is new NCAA rule aimed at stopping Alabama's Nick Saban?

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Maybe it is just a coincidence that the first year noted recruiting fanatic Nick Saban is back in college football, the NCAA passes a rule that prohibits head coaches from visiting high schools during the spring evaluation period.

Maybe it is just coincidence that the first year Saban is back in the Southeastern Conference, the league's coaches overwhelmingly vote in favor of the rule, which, just a few years ago, many of these same coaches voted against.

Maybe, as a Southeastern Conference official put it, it simply was time to institute a rule to protect SEC coaches from their own popularity.

Advertisement

Saban insists he is not paranoid. But since coming back into the league, he's been the subject of numerous allegations of secondary violations, even referred to in a story Monday in the Chicago Tribune as "the most blatant violator of the (spring contact) rule."

In the past, college coaches were allowed to evaluate high school players during the spring, but not actively recruit. That meant no direct contact with prospects. Any contact had to be unintentional and brief - although "brief" was never clearly defined.

At the January NCAA convention, the SEC proposed legislation to prohibit head coaches from making off-campus spring evaluations. It passed unanimously, and became effective immediately.

"The intent of the (old) rule was when a head coach from a big-time program walked into a (high) school in the spring to evaluate, he couldn't have contact with prospects," said Greg Sankey, SEC associate commissioner for NCAA compliance. "But with the popularity of our head coaches, the rule put them in difficult situations. There have been enough enforcement issues over this issue lately that we felt the best thing to do was remove (the head coaches) from the difficult situation entirely."

Saban said he agrees with the conference's position.

"We are put in difficult situations," he said. "We walk into a school and people want autographs, pictures, but I always tell coaches, `I can't talk to a prospect at all.' And I never do."

Saban, who said he visited as many as 100 high schools last spring, said he and his staff "have 35 instances last year of other coaches sitting down and talking with players in the spring - clear violations. But I never turn other guys in."

Saban is disappointed, because he loves going to high schools to watch spring practice, and believes such visits by head coaches help promote the game at the high school level.

Saban also knows he has been frequently accused of secondary violations such as illegal contact in the spring. And if Saban is guilty of violating the rules, then he should be punished.

But this rule change smacks of coaches who don't work as hard as Saban and Florida's Urban Meyer - another coach often accused of illegal spring contact - deciding that, rather than be held accountable for their actions, it is easier simply to make a rule against it.

"You know, I don't ever worry about what other people do," Saban said. "An awful lot of people seem to worry about what we do. Are we aggressive? Yes. But in no way do we violate the rules. People that know me know that. I can't control what other people think."

Or, apparently, the rules the NCAA makes as a result of what those people think. Ray Melick's column appears Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Write him at rmelick@bhamnews.com

Back to the question...."Is the $4 mil dollar boy "skirting" the rules?

Dogs bark....Cats meow.....uat cheats ...

Any questions?

Any questions?

Why do you constantly accuse Bama of being cheaters, when Auburn is #2 in the nation for all time major NCSS infractions? It may have been a while ago, but you're still ranked at this level. You won't let us forget our past, and you have a shady one yourself.

Any questions?

Why do you constantly accuse Bama of being cheaters,

because uat cheats....since the 1920's...its a uat tradition...

when Auburn is #2 in the nation for all time major NCSS infractions? It may have been a while ago, but you're still ranked at this level. You won't let us forget our past, and you have a shady one yourself.

Not sure what the NCSS is, but ok....wonder what the number of infractions would be without the drunken coach having the ncaa in his back pocket?

"anytime alabama gets investigated by the NCAA, auburn goes on probation". remember that quote? Wait, you'll just deny it, right?? You're in the wrong place if you dont think we know how uat operates.

Any questions?

when Auburn is #2 in the nation for all time major NCSS infractions? It may have been a while ago, but you're still ranked at this level. You won't let us forget our past, and you have a shady one yourself.

Not sure what the NCSS is, but ok....wonder what the number of infractions would be without the drunken coach having the ncaa in his back pocket?

"anytime alabama gets investigated by the NCAA, auburn goes on probation". remember that quote? Wait, you'll just deny it, right?? You're in the wrong place if you dont think we know how uat operates.

Sorry about that, my thinking just got a little ahead of my typing. I try to always read my posts before hitting post, because I know you guys are such sticklers, but I guess i missed this one.

All you previous coaches(careful now) were always sober? Did you know Coach Bryant or any of our coaches ? Did you ever personally see one of the drunk? Then how can you make this statement?

Any questions?

Sorry about that, my thinking just got a little ahead of my typing. I try to always read my posts before hitting post, because I know you guys are such sticklers, but I guess i missed this one.

All you previous coaches(careful now) were always sober? Did you know Coach Bryant or any of our coaches ? Did you ever personally see one of the drunk? Then how can you make this statement?

I used to party with Coach Bryant at the Legacy club back in the day. That is, until they hired some aubs to bounce there. B)

Any questions?

Like this: bryant was a DRUNK....see how easy that was? It's a well known fact. Interesting that this is what you are so desperate to defend out of my post.

Any questions?

Like this: bryant was a DRUNK....see how easy that was? It's a well known fact. Interesting that this is what you are so desperate to defend out of my post.

I just don't understand why you can call us cheaters when your own university is ranked #2 in the nation for NCAA infractions. That is more than us, so it seems like you must have cheated more than us, so I guess it's true a cheater recognizes a cheater.

The comment about Coach Bryant is in poor taste. You didn't know him, and can not prove that he was a drunk. There are a lot of things that could be said about some of Auburn's coaches, but it would also be in poor taste.

Is this how Auburn fans want to be known as the ones that if someone else does something well they must be cheating, unless of course it is Auburn. Well you're still ranked #2 and we know you cheated to get that ranking.

Any questions?

I just don't understand why you can call us cheaters when your own university is ranked #2 in the nation for NCAA infractions. That is more than us, so it seems like you must have cheated more than us, so I guess it's true a cheater recognizes a cheater.---all that says is we have been caught more than bama. You obviously don't know the history of bama cheating or you wouldn't even try to get in such an argument. Coach Bryant even admits in in one of the books about him.

The comment about Coach Bryant is in poor taste. You didn't know him, and can not prove that he was a drunk. There are a lot of things that could be said about some of Auburn's coaches, but it would also be in poor taste. --I have met Coach Bryant up close. You are very naive if you don't think he had a drinking problem.

Is this how Auburn fans want to be known as the ones that if someone else does something well they must be cheating, unless of course it is Auburn. Well you're still ranked #2 and we know you cheated to get that ranking.---as I said you don't know your history.

Any questions?

I just don't understand why you can call us cheaters when your own university is ranked #2 in the nation for NCAA infractions. That is more than us, so it seems like you must have cheated more than us, so I guess it's true a cheater recognizes a cheater.---all that says is we have been caught more than bama. You obviously don't know the history of bama cheating or you wouldn't even try to get in such an argument. Coach Bryant even admits bama was cheating in one of the books about him.

The comment about Coach Bryant is in poor taste. You didn't know him, and can not prove that he was a drunk. There are a lot of things that could be said about some of Auburn's coaches, but it would also be in poor taste. --I have met Coach Bryant up close. You are very naive if you don't think he had a drinking problem.

Is this how Auburn fans want to be known as the ones that if someone else does something well they must be cheating, unless of course it is Auburn. Well you're still ranked #2 and we know you cheated to get that ranking.---as I said you don't know your history.

Any questions?

I just don't understand why you can call us cheaters when your own university is ranked #2 in the nation for NCAA infractions. That is more than us, so it seems like you must have cheated more than us, so I guess it's true a cheater recognizes a cheater.

It simply means we didn't have a coach that had the NCAA in his back pocket to get away with everything and that turns in other programs just to keep them away from his own.

The comment about Coach Bryant is in poor taste. You didn't know him, and can not prove that he was a drunk. There are a lot of things that could be said about some of Auburn's coaches, but it would also be in poor taste.

Poor taste? No, just the facts as they are. Like it or not...

Is this how Auburn fans want to be known as the ones that if someone else does something well they must be cheating, unless of course it is Auburn. Well you're still ranked #2 and we know you cheated to get that ranking.

I never said if someone does something they must be cheating....NEVER....I'll challenge you to show me where I ever said such a thing. I said, UAT CHEATS for neary 100 years....PERIOD. It just took bryant leaving uat and thus uat losing their control of the NCAA to get caught.

You need to take a year off from all message board activity and read some history books. Start with your drunken coaches autobiography where he ADMITTED to paying players and move on from there. Sorry but many of us have been around a very long time and there are no secrets to how uat and bryant operated and how uat continues to operate. At least 3 of the times Auburn went on probation it was at the hands of uat. Period. Learn your schools history besides all your fabricated nc's. Until you do, you bring nothing to the conversation... Remember Don Feull?? Of course you don't.....RESEARCH please...

Any questions?

:roflol::roflol::roflol::roflol:

Any questions?

I just don't understand why you can call us cheaters when your own university is ranked #2 in the nation for NCAA infractions. That is more than us, so it seems like you must have cheated more than us, so I guess it's true a cheater recognizes a cheater.---all that says is we have been caught more than bama. You obviously don't know the history of bama cheating or you wouldn't even try to get in such an argument. Coach Bryant even admits bama was cheating in one of the books about him.

I understand what you are saying, and not once did I say that I thought that Bama has never cheated. My question was, why do Auburn fans constantly call us cheaters, when you have been accused and found guilty of this more than us. Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black? Ya'll laugh at us when we call you cheaters, because it sounds like we think we never cheated, so I was just asking why ya'll do it.

I assure you that I have never said that Coach Bryant didn't drink, and I wouldn't go so far as to say that I believe that he never got drunk. What I did say was that it was in poor taste to call this man that has gone on to his rewards, a drunk. I also have met an Auburn coach at a party one time for an Auburn player from my hometown that was being honored and he was quite drunk, but I feel that it would be in poor taste to come on this board or any other board and say this about the man.

I hope the fact that a person may have gotten drunk in public before does not make them a bad person, or a cheater, because I would have to say that I am in big trouble, as I would venture to say a lot of people on this board would be also. I think that football coaches should only be judged by what they do concerning football, and lets remember after all that they are only human.

Any questions?

I understand what you are saying, and not once did I say that I thought that Bama has never cheated. My question was, why do Auburn fans constantly call us cheaters, when you have been accused and found guilty of this more than us. Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black? Ya'll laugh at us when we call you cheaters, because it sounds like we think we never cheated, so I was just asking why ya'll do it.

We were "set up and turned it" more than uat. Please try and keep up. One more time...at least THREE times that Auburn has gone on probation it was because of UAT fabricating crap about something and even posing as encyclopedia salesmen to put it together. Again, study history. 1957 we went on probation, directly because of uat. 1958, the ncaa is back yet again, again directly because of uat. 1993, was after a few years of "investigating" where uat higher ups were pissed that dye finally got the game out of birmingham and uat had to get even. That's all it was. Tapes were doctored, and the whole works. I'm not saying everything is squeaky clean, but I am saying uat has set us up and turned us in MORE than we were actually guilty.

I assure you that I have never said that Coach Bryant didn't drink, and I wouldn't go so far as to say that I believe that he never got drunk. What I did say was that it was in poor taste to call this man that has gone on to his rewards, a drunk.

what kind of rewards are there for someone that constantly cheated his way to the top and turned in every program in the south??

I also have met an Auburn coach at a party one time for an Auburn player from my hometown that was being honored and he was quite drunk, but I feel that it would be in poor taste to come on this board or any other board and say this about the man.

I hope the fact that a person may have gotten drunk in public before does not make them a bad person, or a cheater, because I would have to say that I am in big trouble, as I would venture to say a lot of people on this board would be also. I think that football coaches should only be judged by what they do concerning football, and lets remember after all that they are only human.

do you really? WOW... character and integrity don't matter huh? Wow again.Does this apply to coaches in other sports too? I think I can safely say its lucky for you the administration at your own university doesn't feel the same way you do. Otherwise, you'd still be dealing with losers like Wimp Sanderson, Dubose, and Mike Price. Don't misunderstand me, we all know the uat administration (and the REC) has no integrity or character, but perhaps just a tiny bit more than you. Certainly not much more. Perhaps that's why you don't care that saban treats everybody like crap, lies at every turn, and has no respect for anyone. It's more of that win and all costs attitude that uat is famous for.

I grew up a Bammer in the 1960's-70's. My relatives have played for each school. Bear Bryant definitely drank and too much.

I grew up a Bammer in the 1960's-70's. My relatives have played for each school. Bear Bryant definitely drank and too much.

Pat Dye...most sober guy, ever.

Archived