Saban making no friends in Tampa

WAR-MATT

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So are you telling me it isn't all about Nick?

Are you telling me he didn't tell LSU folks he had no interest in the NFL when he took that job? I can post an article that proves you wrong.

what does that have to do with the article this thread is about?

Are you telling me he didn't tell Miami media that he would not be the coach at Alabama? I can post several articles that prove you wrong.

what does that have to do with the article this thread is about?

Are you telling me he didn't coach several years under Belichick and admit to trying to steal signals, but being unsuccessful? I've already posted an article in another thread that proves you wrong.

what does that have to do with the article this thread is about? and fwiw, watching signals is not illegal...because coaches send those signals from the sideline in plain view of everyone in the stadium.

Are you telling me he didn't go into a far-worse-than-Gundy (subject matter-wise) rant against a reporter over "image" vs. "identity"? I can prove you wrong.

because the reporter said that he said something that wasn't, and the reporter kept pressing saying he did....when he didn't.

Are you telling me he was right to mention USF specifically (a team that, strangely, beat AU) when the subject of non- or partial-qualifiers came up? Can't prove you wrong, but the mention of a specific school is suspect.

USF was specifically brought up in the question. what was he supposed to do, comment on Michigan when asked specifically about USF and the Big East??

He's definitely a man of his word. A rock-solid, fair individual.

Or an a-hole.

I think it's the latter.

Supersized.

InDNo

When I was at the USF game... I had a guy beside me (an Auburn fan as well) talking about the same things that Saban was talking about.. so don't act like Saban is the only one. Lets be unbiased sometimes. Sure, it probably wasn't right to go public about it, but he isn't the only person saying it.

When I was at the USF game... I had a guy beside me (an Auburn fan as well) talking about the same things that Saban was talking about.. so don't act like Saban is the only one. Lets be unbiased sometimes. Sure, it probably wasn't right to go public about it, but he isn't the only person saying it.

well, like i said, he was specifically asked about that team and conference. like AC1 said though, he was getting baited into it and should have known. nobody is saying USF doesn't have talent; its quite the opposite. and some people would wonder how these smaller schools can get good talent, because that usually doesn't happen at smaller name schools. it falls in line with the general thinking of 1-AA schools getting stronger. they are getting 1-A talent that couldn't qualify for 1-A. still quality talent, just couldn't make the grades.

So are you telling me it isn't all about Nick?

Are you telling me he didn't tell LSU folks he had no interest in the NFL when he took that job? I can post an article that proves you wrong.

Are you telling me he didn't tell Miami media that he would not be the coach at Alabama? I can post several articles that prove you wrong.

Are you telling me he didn't coach several years under Belichick and admit to trying to steal signals, but being unsuccessful? I've already posted an article in another thread that proves you wrong.

Are you telling me he didn't go into a far-worse-than-Gundy (subject matter-wise) rant against a reporter over "image" vs. "identity"? I can prove you wrong.

Are you telling me he was right to mention USF specifically (a team that, strangely, beat AU) when the subject of non- or partial-qualifiers came up? Can't prove you wrong, but the mention of a specific school is suspect.

He's definitely a man of his word. A rock-solid, fair individual.

Or an a-hole.

I think it's the latter.

Supersized.

InDNo

1. I was responding to the article in which Leavitt was complaining about what Nick Saban said.

2. I said that Nick Saban was correct with his words concerning the Big East.

3. I brought up facts to prove that the Saban was correct in saying the Big East takes athletes that other conferences can't.

4. I said that Saban should not have mentioned USF specifically. "No need to slam USF".

Where are you dragging this other stuff up from? I made no point or argument about Saban's agenda here. I only stated that Nick Saban was correct with his information regarding the Big East. Their admissions are lower than the SEC. That's it. Nothing more.

I am seriously hoping that you quoted me by accident when you typed this response.

I thinkn leavitt's problem with all this is this: 1-2 partial qualifiers doesnt mean that the whole team, OR WHOLE CONFERENCE, is all partial qualifiers. CNS's words were likely not commuincated well by any party involved.

Either way, 1-2 still doesnt mean all are pqs.

"I think there are six guys starting on South Florida's defense who probably could have gone to Florida or Florida State but Florida and Florida State couldn't take them."

but what he said wasn't a lie.

How is this statement not a lie?

Guys, I think you're taking this a little deeper than necessary.

It doesn't matter if he was asked about ANY school in particular, he didn't have to expand on his thoughts to include the school if he was going to crack on the recruiting practices. That's a gripe that could have been aired out in some other, but more proper forum.

I said this earlier...

I think Nick could have taken that question in a totally different direction. Maybe toss out a compliment to the excellent coaching, and improving facilities and exposure the schools are getting. I suppose at that point, if he felt compelled to, make a general jab about recruiting. However, taking a stab at a specific squad and calling out their "less stringent standards" isn't the way to go. Proof of this, and how it could be taken in a less than acceptable way, is in Leavitt's reaction.

It really was a poor response. Nick's much smarter than that.

This isn't really all that big of a deal. If it's anything, it's just a little bit of proof that CNS might be a little rougher around the edges than we think.

However, if you think he hates the media NOW, wait till he sees that a nugget like this has gotten out via the media (true or not), and now he's got to deal with it.

He may NEVER come out of the Head Coach's office again!

Just another bit of straw on the camel's back maybe.. Something to tuck away till later... but nothing worth pages and pages of discussion though...

..JMO..

Bottom line here is...CTT didn't say it. If he had, this would be a non-issue.

I disagree.

I think Leavitt and the Big East would still take exception to it. Yes, I'm sure CTT would get defended in here a little more. That wouldn't surprise anyone in here. No more than Alabama fans are defending Nick now.

I think this is a dead issue unitl more comes out (ie; like a CNS response to the Leavitt response)

"I think there are six guys starting on South Florida's defense who probably could have gone to Florida or Florida State but Florida and Florida State couldn't take them."

but what he said wasn't a lie.

How is this statement not a lie?

Just because a statement is not a lie, doesn't mean that it has to be said.

Bottom line here is...CTT didn't say it. If he had, this would be a non-issue.

He wouldn't say it.

USF not happy

I guess Saban has a new rival! Add it to the list.

USF coach bristles at Saban's comments

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

TUSCALOOSA -- South Florida coach Jim Leavitt was not amused by Monday's comments from Alabama coach Nick Saban linking the rapid rise of Big East programs like USF to less-stringent academic standards.

"It's not right," Leavitt told the Tampa Tribune. "We've done what we've done because we've worked extremely hard."

With victories this season over Auburn and West Virginia, USF is now ranked No. 6 in The Associated Press poll.

Asked during his press conference how such non-traditional football powers became so competitive, Saban replied, "The distribution of players is not the same for everyone. We can't take props (partial qualifiers) in the SEC. They can't take them in the ACC. There's a significant amount of players who don't qualify, and they end up being pretty good players at some of these schools.

"I think there are six guys starting on South Florida's defense who probably could have gone to Florida or Florida State, but Florida and Florida State couldn't take them."

Leavitt fired back Tuesday that of his 110 players, two are non-qualifiers and only one is a starter.

"Whoever gave him that information needs to correct it," Leavitt said.

MERGED by Mod

Let me point out one exception to Saban's reasoning on the Big East situation regarding academic standards/recruiting.

Boston College was not exactly a perennial power coming out of the Big East every year. They had a few big upset wins over Notre Dame, but probably never ranked in the top 10. So, now, after joining the ACC shouldn't the level of talent on the BC team drop since they don't have the talent pool of Props to recruit from. Last time I checked BC is doing better recruiting and competing on the BCS level then they ever did in the Big East.

Same can be said for Virginia Tech, VT has been a serious college football powerhouse for awhile. I remeber them having a solid team 1994 thru 1999. Since joining the ACC, I wouldn't say VT's level of talent, which might included Props while in the Big East, has decreased.

on the other hand.......Miami joins the ACC (from the Big East) and competes for the ACC Championship a year or two then has quickly faded away.

To be fair, BC has higher academic standards for their athletes and wouldn't allow partial qualifiers even if the conference they were a part of said it was OK.

NCAA football, particularly in the south, has become just like politics! One school or conference just looking for a slip of the tongue or an off-color comment, whether innocently made or not, to gain an advantage! I'm an Auburn man and I'm not defending Saban or his comments, but I just think this thing is bordering on going way too far! The media is playing all of us like a drum on Saturday night!

NCAA football, particularly in the south, has become just like politics! One school or conference just looking for a slip of the tongue or an off-color comment, whether innocently made or not, to gain an advantage! I'm an Auburn man and I'm not defending Saban or his comments, but I just think this thing is bordering on going way too far! The media is playing all of us like a drum on Saturday night!

Don't you miss the old days...when there was limited press coverage and every TINY word that came out of someone's mouth wasn't turned into a story?

Does anyone think this might have something to do with Leavitt being the coach everyone is talking about now and not Saban? The man has an ego the size of the Grand Canyon.

Tricky Nicky also knows Drummond and the boys like Leavitt a lot and Drummond has made it no secret how he feels about Saban. Maybe he's getting a little paranoid.

It's hard for me to believe that if CTT wants a kid and the kid passes muster with the NCAA clearinghouse that we can't get the kid. Can someone verify? I mean, I know that if Joe Blow student doesn't meet the standards for instate, or out of state (whatever the case may be), he will likely be denied...but c'mon are we saying a five-star recruit from Fla doesn't have the average 3.53 GPA, or 1170 on the SAT we won't accept him?

It's hard for me to believe that if CTT wants a kid and the kid passes muster with the NCAA clearinghouse that we can't get the kid. Can someone verify? I mean, I know that if Joe Blow student doesn't meet the standards for instate, or out of state (whatever the case may be), he will likely be denied...but c'mon are we saying a five-star recruit from Fla doesn't have the average 3.53 GPA, or 1170 on the SAT we won't accept him?

If he is a partial qualifier you CAN'T accept him. AU and the SEC have higher academic standards for athletes.

Why then do our partial qualifiers always seem to go to upper SW LA state junior college? why don't they go to bigeast schools if they can accept them?

Archived