How good is McFadden?

InDNo

I've been watching SEC football for a long time. I was thinking tonight about where exactly Darren McFadden fits historically among SEC running backs. So, in thinking about that, I took it team by team. I know that sometimes, when you're relying solely on memory, you can miss somebody. So, I'm gonna list my best running backs by SEC team and, if y'all disagree or have other names, chime in. I will go ahead and give the conclusion, though. I think McFadden is among the top four running backs in the SEC in the last 40 or so years. The other three would be Bo, Herschel and Emmitt.

Anyway, here's the team-by-team look.

Alabama: Bobby Humphrey.

Arkansas: Darren McFadden

Auburn: Bo Jackson

Florida: Emmitt Smith

Georgia: Herschel Walker

Kentucky: Sonny Collins

LSU: Toss up. Charles Alexander, Kevin Faulk.

Ole Miss: Deuce McAllister

Mississippi State: Walter Packer

South Carolina: George Rogers (though he's pre-SEC)

Tennessee: Reggie Cobb

Vandy: No one comes immediately to mind.

Anyone disagree or have other team choices?

InDNo

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been watching SEC football for a long time. I was thinking tonight about where exactly Darren McFadden fits historically among SEC running backs. So, in thinking about that, I took it team by team. I know that sometimes, when you're relying solely on memory, you can miss somebody. So, I'm gonna list my best running backs by SEC team and, if y'all disagree or have other names, chime in. I will go ahead and give the conclusion, though. I think McFadden is among the top four running backs in the SEC in the last 40 or so years. The other three would be Bo, Herschel and Emmitt.

InDNo

I do have to take exception to Bobby Humphrey for Alabama. Humphrey was a nice "back-up" runner at best. Gene Jelks was a far better runner and played on the same team but got moved to safety by Ray Perkins because the Alabama SID had begun making a large investment in the Bobby Humphrey for Heisman campaign while Jelks was injured and Bobby filled in for him. If Jelks doesn't get injured, Humphrey never starts for Bama. Most Alabama fans would say that Shaun Alexander is the best back in their school's history. I would probably agree although had he been able to stay healthy I was always astonished by Kerry Goude's running ability. He only played about three games a year before spending the rest of the season in rehab which is why he is largely forgotten today, but I believe that if he could have put together 4 healthy years his name would be held in the same esteem as Bo and Herschel. He was that good. All this being said Alexander is the only back in Bama's history that deserves consideration for such a list.

D-Mac is the only back I openly compare to Herschel and/or Bo. He has the size, speed, and athleticism to easily compare. I didnt say he was AS GOOD, but he is as close as you can get.

Since 1949, there has been fifty (50) 1200-yd individual rushing seasons by a SEC RB. McFadden is on pace to do it again in 2007. Based on a rating formula that factors, YPG, YPC and TD ratio, here is the top 10 best individual rushing performances:

Year Player Team Gm Yards Att TD APC YPG ATD Rating

1985 Bo Jackson Auburn 11 1786 278 17 6.42 162.4 16.35 94.17

1992 Garrison Hearst Georgia 11 1594 228 19 6.99 144.9 12.00 93.53

1986 Brent Fullwood Auburn 11 1391 167 10 8.33 126.5 16.70 92.70

2007 Darren McFadden Arkansas 5 779 130 7 5.99 155.8 18.57 90.06

1981 Herschel Walker Georgia 11 1891 385 18 4.91 171.9 21.39 88.83

1980 Herschel Walker Georgia 11 1616 274 15 5.90 146.9 18.27 87.56

1977 Charles Alexander LSU 11 1686 311 17 5.42 153.3 18.29 87.24

1983 Bo Jackson Auburn 11 1213 158 12 7.68 110.3 13.17 87.22

1982 Herschel Walker Georgia 11 1752 335 16 5.23 159.3 20.94 87.09

1986 Bobby Humphrey Alabama 11 1471 236 15 6.23 133.7 15.73 86.45

McFadden's 2006 season was #26 on the list.

Yeah I'd say Shaun was our best back.

As far as Dmac, I'd say it goes Walker, Dmac tied with Bo, and everyone else.

Let's not forget that Darren has to share carries with Felix Jones. They currently site at #1 and #2 respectively in the SEC rushing leaders list.

I'd put Alexander at the top of Bama's list as well. The 4th quarter of the 1999 Iron Bowl, he was a man among boys.

If you had said last 50 years, I'd put Billy Cannon on the LSU list.

That being said, McFadden is the best RB I've seen since Bo. And that pains me to say, since I love Ronnie Brown and Caddy.

InDNo

I do have to take exception to Bobby Humphrey for Alabama. Humphrey was a nice "back-up" runner at best. Gene Jelks was a far better runner and played on the same team but got moved to safety by Ray Perkins because the Alabama SID had begun making a large investment in the Bobby Humphrey for Heisman campaign while Jelks was injured and Bobby filled in for him. If Jelks doesn't get injured, Humphrey never starts for Bama. Most Alabama fans would say that Shaun Alexander is the best back in their school's history. I would probably agree although had he been able to stay healthy I was always astonished by Kerry Goude's running ability. He only played about three games a year before spending the rest of the season in rehab which is why he is largely forgotten today, but I believe that if he could have put together 4 healthy years his name would be held in the same esteem as Bo and Herschel. He was that good. All this being said Alexander is the only back in Bama's history that deserves consideration for such a list.

I agree...almost...I would have to say Alexander or Johnny Musso for Bamar. Musso was a great back for them.

For AU, Bo's the clear choice...but gosh, we've had sooooo may good ones, haven't we? WAR EAGLE!

:au::homer:

InDNo

The only one that I take issue with is LSU, I would go with Dalton Hilliard as the best I saw personally, or you could go with Heisman winner Billy Cannon if you wanted to reach on back there.

I think the fact that defenses have gotten tremendously better over the past few decades should play a role in rating D-Mac as a runner. The fact that he can outrun, outmaneuver, and out"strength" any defense is nothing short of amazing. It's hard to put him above Walker or Bo, but only because of their legendary status.

Nothing as large as Herschel, Bo, or D-Mac is supposed to move that fast.

That's what I've always thought about DMac. He's so big but still outruns people. Physics be damned!

As far as Dmac, I'd say it goes Walker, Dmac tied with Bo, and everyone else.

Let's not forget that Darren has to share carries with Felix Jones. They currently site at #1 and #2 respectively in the SEC rushing leaders list.

Your smoking crack again, or a blind bammer that can't acknowledge facts and stats. They all share carries, remember Lionel "Little Train" James and Brent Fullwood? They shared the backfield with Bo and I would put either up against Felix Jones. Not to mention Darren McFadden has an extra game to play. Go back and look at total attempts for Bo in '85 and D-Mac for this year, they are projected to be at or near the same number. I would suspect Bo will end of with more yards since Arky's schedule only gets tougher from here on out. I am not being a homer here, D-Mac is a great back, top 5 in the history of the SEC, but he is certainly no Bo Jackson. Period. End of story. Don't even bother to reply.

if we're going college, i'd say it's hersch, then bo, then run dmc... and everyone else a good ways back. i honestly think dmac could catch bo as far as performance. he'll never get there based on physical talent. heck i don't think walker could compete there either. i'm with dick schap. i think he's the best athlete i've ever seen. in any sport.

i would disagree about shaun vs. bobby humphrey. he was a complete killer. humphrey was more dangerous in my mind. much better receiver. as for lsu, it'd either be alexander or possibly cecil collins. i know he didn't have the longest career, but that guy was a freak of nature. and as for florida, eric rhett was just as good in college, but fred taylor was probably better than both of them (although he played with danny wonderful which is like cheating since no one ever gameplanned for him).

I never really got to see ES play much for Florida except for highlights and what not, but having watched Fred Taylor makes me give him my vote.

As for D-mac, it is a rare oddity to find a back with the size and talent like that (Bo and Herschel). He can weave through the middle or break it outside and outrun or just flat out run you over. It is backs like that you don't try to teach them anything, you just give them the ball and let them do work.

I never really got to see ES play much for Florida except for highlights and what not, but having watched Fred Taylor makes me give him my vote.

A little off topic here but not too much:

In 1986 I was a freshmen in college over in Mississippi. I had made friends with a couple of guys from Pascagoula. One of the guy's mom was from Pensacola and had graduated from Escambia County High School. The two 'Goula boys had noticed that their school was traveling to P-cola for a game against Escambia and we decided to go.

This was one year before 'Goula would win its first ever state title. The junior leaders on that team were QB Shane Matthews, RB Amp Lee, and CB Terrell Buckley. With that kind of talent it is easy to see why 'Goula won the title the next year. However this particular game belonged to Escambia High as they won behind the strong running of senior tailback Emmit Smith.

Garrison Hearst...what could have been

Man....just wish injuries and another year or so could have been had

I have seen a good amount of games and man was he good....

Georgia football..back to the 90s

Georgia football..back to the 90s

The good old days with NFL talent

The problem w/ looking @ RBs on paper is, if you saw Bo and Hershel, you know there hasn't been anything like them in the SEC since. Here's why: no other RBs made world class athlete defenders in college look like boys better than Bo & Hershel. It's kind of amazing they were basically contemporaries. Emmit and Berry Sanders were a notch below, but tied for 3rd, IMHO.

ESPECIALLY w/ RBs, you just can't look @ stats for your conclusions. Look @ Walter Payton. He racked up all those yards during years when his O-line was PATHETIC. The Monsters of the Midway Bears w/ a throwing game & Refrigerator Perry wasn't until the twilight of his career.

There was a RB named Dupree that Berry Switzer signed who was like Bo & Hershel. He was such a headcase though he actually succeeded in getting kicked off a Switzer team while he was a Heisman candidate. He transferred to Southern Miss. where he played a couple games before quiting (sounds like Randy Moss, eh?). He signed w/ the New Orleans Breakers in the old USFL, played a couple games where he gained like 200 yards w/ a suck o-line. Then he blew out his knee and he's probably sitiing on a porch somewhere in Mississppi right now. The greatest RB nobody remembers.

I'm throwing Barry in because I'm talking country wide over the last 40 years (i.e. Bo & hershel are the brst in the nation over the last 40 years).

FWIW, Musso & Alexander are the only outstanding RBs Bama's ever produced. Most guys Bammers think of as their great backs didn't even lead the SEC @ the RB position. There'a reason Bama has no Heisman's @ any position: defenders can't win it and producing on offense in the NFL ain't college.

InDNo

1-Bo

2-Herschel

3-McFadden

4-Who cares

The LSU story when it comes to RBs is the ones they let get away. San Diego State?

Nobody recruited Faulk for RB. It's not like he was a 5* RB coming out of high school. We have 4 RBs that would be starting at :au:

The problem w/ looking @ RBs on paper is, if you saw Bo and Hershel, you know there hasn't been anything like them in the SEC since. Here's why: no other RBs made world class athlete defenders in college look like boys better than Bo & Hershel. It's kind of amazing they were basically contemporaries. Emmit and Berry Sanders were a notch below, but tied for 3rd, IMHO.

ESPECIALLY w/ RBs, you just can't look @ stats for your conclusions. Look @ Walter Payton. He racked up all those yards during years when his O-line was PATHETIC. The Monsters of the Midway Bears w/ a throwing game & Refrigerator Perry wasn't until the twilight of his career.

There was a RB named Dupree that Berry Switzer signed who was like Bo & Hershel. He was such a headcase though he actually succeeded in getting kicked off a Switzer team while he was a Heisman candidate. He transferred to Southern Miss. where he played a couple games before quiting (sounds like Randy Moss, eh?). He signed w/ the New Orleans Breakers in the old USFL, played a couple games where he gained like 200 yards w/ a suck o-line. Then he blew out his knee and he's probably sitiing on a porch somewhere in Mississppi right now. The greatest RB nobody remembers.

His name was Marcus Dupree and he was from Philadelphia, Miss. A great author, Willie Morris, wrote a book titled "The Courting of Marcus Dupree." It was very similar to "Friday Night Lights" in that it told the story of Dupree in the social context of his hometown in that era. If you can find it, read it. Great, great book.

But, your memory is very good. Dupree did go USFL. In fact, he and Herschel were the first big USFL signees.

And you're also right about Herschel and Bo. No better athletes have ever played college football. Period.

One quick story: I was assistant sports editor for The Plainsman in 1983. Our schedule that year was unreal. We played Texas, Florida, FSU, Maryland and our normal SEC schedule. We played Florida the week before we played Maryland, a team featuring Boomer Esiason at quarterback. In the press box at the Florida game, a guy named John Ed Bradley, who played football at LSU and was the college football writer for the Washington Post for a while before becoming a novelist, sat by me. Before the game, he said, "I've heard people compare Bo Jackson with Herschel Walker and I just can't believe that." I told him, "Well, I'm biased, but I think Bo's better." On our third or fourth play from scrimmage in the game, Bo goes around left end, runs over a linebacker and goes 80 yards for a touchdown. Bradley looked at me and said, "You know, you may be right."

Bo was a PHENOMENAL athlete. We were robbed of many accomplishments by his hip injury.

InDNo

Archived