Auburn fans don't deserve a good B-Ball team

TexasTiger

The victory was in doubt until the final buzzer, as the Hornets thrived on a loud home crowd of 4,663 at the Joe L. Reed Acadome. Despite the large Auburn alumni base in the Montgomery area, there were only a handful of orange-clad fans at the arena.

http://www.al.com/auburnbasketball/mobiler...&thispage=2

Auburn is less than an hour's drive away from Montgomery, so if you live there, making the homes games should not be that difficult. But when AU brings the game to you, and you still don't go...pathetic.

That is surprising.

I remember when Alabama played ASU in Montgomery, we were in the majority. I'm shocked that the same situation didn't occur when Auburn came to town.

Of course, the high school football playoffs might have had something to do with it...

Well first, two of the area's biggest schools had playoff games (Prattville and Wetumpka). And that doesn't count all the smaller private schools. Second, ASU's campus is not in the greatest section of town. It has also hurt attendance in Montgomery for high school games at Cramton Bowl. People don't feel safe, wrong or right. Third, I think a little of the air got knocked out for AU fans when the news came down about Dollard and Powell.

That said, there should have been more people there. But there are other factors besides "Auburn fans don't care" involved with regard to last night.

TexasTiger... did you see a lot of orange in the crowd while you were there?

Not sure what your point is. If you're suggesting that it would have been as easy for someone in Texas to have gotten to the game as it was for someone from Montgomery or Prattville, that would be real stupid, so I'm assuming that's not it.

There was not alot of orange....

I counted maybe 2 other guys in the entire arena that looked like Auburn students.

I know we could of had 20 or so if it was the first weekend of thanksgiving break..

I saw a a few older Auburn couples in the crowd. And yes it was pathetic. I was embarrassed with the lack of Auburn fans there.

:au: = Football school. After this season is over and the team gets into the conf schedule you will see the attendance increase.

Kentucky hasn't sold out a game yet this year either.

There was not alot of orange....

I counted maybe 2 other guys in the entire arena that looked like Auburn students.

I know we could of had 20 or so if it was the first weekend of thanksgiving break..

I saw a a few older Auburn couples in the crowd. And yes it was pathetic. I was embarrassed with the lack of Auburn fans there.

oh cmon there was 5 of us sitting with me. Most of the AU students blended in with the crowd there (because they were black and werent wearing their colors), but you could see them get up when Auburn did something positive. There was a descent number of AU people. Not many wives but lots of dads with their kids along hand. Honestly, I think a lot of people were scared to go, especially without a group. A lot of people left Auburn thursday or very early Friday. When I left AU to go to the game and then home, there were only a handful of cars left in my apartment parking lot. Finally I doubt many students knew about the game. Some of my friends didnt know about it until I mentioned it.

I know most won't look at this point, but....

Auburn and Opelika High School hosted Class 6 playoff games, along with many other games around the state. Basketball is tooooo early in my opinion. It should not be competing with football on any level in November.

I don't know if I'd go so far as to say that Auburn doesn't deserve a good basketball team, but you can can't ignore the fact that basketball has long been ignored by the rank and file :au: fan.

I think the main reasons for this are...

1. Basketball is not the "event" that football is at :au:

2. Not as many :au: students like basketball as football, in my estimation.

When you combine #2 with an inferior product, you get lousy attendance.

With football, there is at minimum an unspoken expectation that students who are able to go will be there, even if things aren't going well...there is no such expectation for basketball.

The only times that basketball has been really well-attended is when the team was exceptionally good...and that hasn't been a frequent occurrence.

I wish basketball would develop the same sort of following as football because the energy in a basketball arena when things are going really well can easily match that of football...but I doubt it'll ever happen.

IMO the energy of the alabama game last year matched that of of the UF/AU football game.

If only we could get people to come and participate there would be alot more fans out there...

Maybe people could care less about watching Auburn play Alabama St on a Friday night? It might be that simple.

Please see my post below re :au: vs CSU--I'll be there and then drive 418 mile Wed PM to be ready to beat Bama Saturday. Please don't let me be the only orange dot in the crowd in North Charleston Any :au: fans in the area need to come out War Eagle!

I don't care who we play... We as fans should support them and show up. That goes for football as well. Alot of people complain that we aren't expanding JHS and then I've heard a lil bit of complaining about the size of the new arena.

We don't deserve to expand ANYTHING until there is more support.

• 2 weeks later...

It is too bad we don't have great fan support. Maybe if we could win consistently it would change. I know when we had Chris Porter and Mamdou N'djai (sorry, I know I just killed his name) it was a big deal and the crowds came. We are very fair weather at basketball.

Plus, as others have said, it is tough to focus on basketball when it is still football season.

I just hope we can have a couple of good seasons and have a competitive team when the new arena opens. I think a lot of people will come out and try the "new product" (so to speak) and that if the team is doing okay and the crowd is good, we will have a chance to build momentum. If the team is not good, it won't take long for the newness to wear off and it will be same ol' atmosphere, just in a more expensive place.

I'll do my part this Saturday when the Tigers are in DC to play George Washington. Got my tickets in the mail yesterday!!!

Archived