Bob Knight leaves game at half time

Ranger12

You have to wonder if his health is going to be what finally makes him retire. For somebody as competative as Knight to leave the game because he did not feel good, that is a pretty big deal.

Link

Texas Tech coach Bob Knight felt ill with flu-like symptoms and was unable to coach the second half of Saturday's game at Centenary, Texas Tech sports information director Randy Farley told ESPN.com late Saturday night.

Farley said Knight didn't have a medical emergency and there was no need for an attending physician.

"He's just worn out," Farley said of the Hall of Fame coach.

Farley said after five minutes elapsed in the second half, he called Knight's son, Tim, a member of the athletic department, to see why Knight hadn't returned to the sideline. He said Tim Knight told him that his father wasn't feeling well and that he would take him to the airport to rest and meet the team after the game for the chartered flights (the team took three of them to get the whole party home) back to Lubbock.

"Coach is fine," Farley said. "There definitely wasn't any medical emergency."

Knight's son, Pat, the head coach designate, coached the Red Raiders in the second half. Centenary came back and won the game 70-66.

Farley said Knight has been feeling ill since the team's trip to Anchorage for the Great Alaska Shootout from Nov. 22-25.

The Red Raiders lost to Butler on Nov. 25 in the championship game after upsetting Gonzaga in the semifinals, then returned to Lubbock and beat TCU on Wednesday before heading to Bossier City, La., for Saturday's game against Centenary.

The Red Raiders were leading 35-32 when Knight was exiting the court. According to The Shreveport Times, Farley and Centenary sports information director David Pratt, a number of students were yelling at Knight. The Shreveport Times reported that one student yelled, "Oh [expletive], he's got a gun," in reference to Knight and a friend being accused of shooting errant birdshot at a nearby neighbor's home.

The Shreveport Times reported that Knight said in a calm tone that Texas Tech was being nice by coming to Bossier City and that no other team in the Big 12 would make such a trip.

Farley said that Knight is a constant target of jabs and barbs on the road. But Farley said the "kids applauded when coach walked away from what I saw."

But Pat Knight was not amused in his postgame remarks. The Shreveport Times quoted Knight as saying, "It's always above and beyond. It's ridiculous wherever we go. It's not just that, it's the stuff all week -- wherever we go. People making comments before getting both sides of the story -- it just wears on you."

According to The Shreveport Times, Pat Knight added, "It just gets old having to deal with that stuff, but that's just part of it. I feel for him because he's been down. He's not a young guy anymore. I'm more worried about his health than anything else."

The Red Raiders play host to Louisiana Tech on Wednesday and then go to New Mexico on Dec. 15 in their next two games before playing Stanford in Dallas on Dec. 22.

Centenary moved to 5-3 after the win, while Texas Tech dropped to 5-3.

Lebo didnt coach a game last year or the year before because of the flu. I dont think its a big deal.

Yeah, but Lebo is not Bob Knight. I bet Knight has coached through sicknesses just as bad as the flu before, just going by the type of guy he is. The thing about this story, they really did not make it clear it was the flu. He was just not feeling good and the alluded to a lot of stressful things surrounding him.

Archived