Auburn versus West Virginia!

JBC1124

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope this game doesn't reflect what will happen this year, because if it does, it doesn't look good. I know Auburn isn't a basketball school but we've never been this pathetic in a while. This is Lebo's 4th year, and so far he hasn't even made the NIT. :(

Can we also just take the salary that JL is making and give it to Will Muschamp. I mean 3 straight years of losses of 25 or more and it could be worse by now. I do think it is time to abort the Lebo project and pay the money to get a real coach in here. With a new arena comming we can at least attract a better coach. I mean he is sitting there with his hands folded and has been the ENTIRE GAME!!!!!!!!!!

Don't give up on this team just yet it would be very hard for any team in the country to beat West Virginia the way they are shooting. Sometimes in basketball you will run into a team that is hot and it's near impossible to win. I think Lebo is a great coach and Auburn could not do any better. He has had terrible luck so far during his time at Auburn.

Don't give up on this team just yet it would be very hard for any team in the country to beat West Virginia the way they are shooting. Sometimes in basketball you will run into a team that is hot and it's near impossible to win.

I agree that West Virginia is a good team and is very good at shooting but that doesn't mean that we should be this piss poor at shooting the ball either.

Can we also just take the salary that JL is making and give it to Will Muschamp. I mean 3 straight years of losses of 25 or more and it could be worse by now. I do think it is time to abort the Lebo project and pay the money to get a real coach in here. With a new arena comming we can at least attract a better coach. I mean he is sitting there with his hands folded and has been the ENTIRE GAME!!!!!!!!!!

Don't give up on this team just yet it would be very hard for any team in the country to beat West Virginia the way they are shooting. Sometimes in basketball you will run into a team that is hot and it's near impossible to win. I think Lebo is a great coach and Auburn could not do any better. He has had terrible luck so far during his time at Auburn.

I could only agree with this if we made any progress. Since he has been here we have as stated above had " Were young, Very young" " Were short, Very short" " Players transfered". When is enough enough. We have not event made it to the NIT. And I like somone above fear very mcuh for this team in the SEC not to mention the rest of the non-conf schedule. We laid down right from the start of this game. It didnt even look like we had a gameplan much less we didnt execute it if we did. These arent fresh and sophs they are Jrs and Srs. Quan. Tez, Vot, Tolbert they have all been with the program long enough to at kleast make this a game in the first half then fall off due to depth. BUT STILL KEEP IT CLOSER THAN 88-59 29 point loss. WOW! And the overwhelming lack of interest is due to the fact that we STINK OUT LOUD.

Don't give up on this team just yet it would be very hard for any team in the country to beat West Virginia the way they are shooting. Sometimes in basketball you will run into a team that is hot and it's near impossible to win.

I agree that West Virginia is a good team and is very good at shooting but that doesn't mean that we should be this piss poor at shooting the ball either.

Well thats the way basketball goes sometimes. The good thing is its only December so we have plenty of time to improve before conference play starts

Truely hard to watch. At least the gals are 9-0 and playing lights out. They hit 12 of 15 on threes tonight! They look like a contender for sure.

This team better use this game as motivation, or they will see many more like it.

War Eagle! Get better guys!

Nice to see the inevitable Bama fans grinning ear-to-ear for the TV cameras. Go ahead and laugh...that team beat your guys twice last season. Remember that? Oh yeah, you're still reeling from number SIX, aren't you?

Seriously though, West Virginia's been real good to UAT lately. After all, Nick Saban's from there! *cough*

How many here are complaining about Lebo have been to a basketball game...

The game tonight is not anywhere reflective of the program... He has it in great shape with a TOP 25 recruiting class coming in...

The loss can be attributed to alot of factors... Us not making shots, Them making EVERYTHING... Happens... It was nice to see Reed score some points...

Also something that was mentioned... the students were made to sit down in the first half due to some Bama fans complaining that they could see... The police got involved so we were forced to sit... When my buddy talked to the head of security we were finally able to stand in the 2nd half... The team started looking better.

It was a rough night, it happened to come against a hot team that is VERY good. Crap happens. But bailing now is not the thing to do. It will put what Lebo has worked hard to do behind a while.

Ask any coach or anyone who knows anything and they will say Lebo is a good coach. I've heard one of the top in our conference.

For him to get a class in that is a TOP 25 with the lack of fan support says alot about him. And personally it tells me that we should keep him. Yeah basketball will be rough at Auburn. But he is doing it the right way. We made strides last year. Was within 15 seconds of winning the west (yes it was a crappy year in the west).

The so called "excuses" there were brought up, we were short, we were young... Not Lebo's problem. CCE gave Lebo a Senior laden class. Had no soph. or jr. to speak of. So 2nd year Lebo had to start over. He brought in some talent in Tez, Barrett, and Barber (McD's All-American). The next year comes in Dwayne Reed.. One of the best younger pg's in the SEC.

Rome was not built in a day, and I'm not saying our program will be like Rome one day but getting rid of Lebo now will not help things along at all.

Think about coming to games to support the team... It truly helps the performance of the team and also helps recruiting.

WAR DAMN EAGLE!!!

How many here are complaining about Lebo have been to a basketball game...

The game tonight is not anywhere reflective of the program... He has it in great shape with a TOP 25 recruiting class coming in...

The loss can be attributed to alot of factors... Us not making shots, Them making EVERYTHING... Happens... It was nice to see Reed score some points...

Also something that was mentioned... the students were made to sit down in the first half due to some Bama fans complaining that they could see... The police got involved so we were forced to sit... When my buddy talked to the head of security we were finally able to stand in the 2nd half... The team started looking better.

It was a rough night, it happened to come against a hot team that is VERY good. Crap happens. But bailing now is not the thing to do. It will put what Lebo has worked hard to do behind a while.

Ask any coach or anyone who knows anything and they will say Lebo is a good coach. I've heard one of the top in our conference.

For him to get a class in that is a TOP 25 with the lack of fan support says alot about him. And personally it tells me that we should keep him. Yeah basketball will be rough at Auburn. But he is doing it the right way. We made strides last year. Was within 15 seconds of winning the west (yes it was a crappy year in the west).

The so called "excuses" there were brought up, we were short, we were young... Not Lebo's problem. CCE gave Lebo a Senior laden class. Had no soph. or jr. to speak of. So 2nd year Lebo had to start over. He brought in some talent in Tez, Barrett, and Barber (McD's All-American). The next year comes in Dwayne Reed.. One of the best younger pg's in the SEC.

Rome was not built in a day, and I'm not saying our program will be like Rome one day but getting rid of Lebo now will not help things along at all.

Think about coming to games to support the team... It truly helps the performance of the team and also helps recruiting.

WAR DAMN EAGLE!!!

Been to the games, seen the talent. Heard the excusses. As you stated the team almost won the west last year in down west year. Good job team. My question is this, why continue to come out and look like you dont have a plan. Or change the plan as you see what they are doing. Long runs with no time outs, coach sitting on the bench and the team looking like they are waiting on someone else to step up. Dont get me wrong I was glad to see CCE go I thought he was a me guy and was as noted by probation not doing things the right way. On the other hand Coach Champi did not leave the cupboard full on the womens side but coach Fortner is making some clear strides with her team. Same year similar situation. Lebo got our first Mcds AA but what is he using him for? He still looks like a freshman to me? My hope is that we are not as bad as we seem but losing to Tulane and then this to go with the fact that we have beatin some low level teams in the last minutes of the game does not show great progress.

Vot leads the nation in FG percentage.

I'm sorry you can't see it like I do... it was not a similar situation with the women's and men's basketball... The women have a better history than the men do. The men had ALL seniors, and the transfers that left NEEDED to leave.

Crap Happens. It really does. But why is tonight the first time I have seen you post on the basketball forum.. Because of the loss. If we had won by such a margin I doubt there would have been this much action on the board.

Wow. That was brutal. I follow Auburn basketball and that is the worst I have ever seen us. Like someone else said, hard to believe that is the same team I saw beat GW on Saturday.

I really want to Lebo to succeed, but I'm starting to have my doubts. I thought it was a mistake to fire Ellis (and I have been saying that on this board since the day it happened), but I kept hearing about what a good coach Lebo was and how he was going to be great, but I just haven't seen it yet. It does seem like a broken record of excuses every year. I hope he can get things turned around, b/c we are over three years in. There was some improvement last year and we finally finished over .500.

Come on guys. I know Auburn can have a good basketball team. I've seen it before (late 90's and then again the second to last season before Ellis was fired).

I dont think you should jump on Lebo because of one game nor should you lend your approval because of one good game either. I think the one thing you can say about the program is that we have improved each year while hes been here (by record), and are on pace to improve again this year. You can read about the issues the team has had during Lebo's tenure. We went 7-9 in the SEC last year (and got jipped in our last game that would have made us West champs) despite probably being the least talented team in the division.

That was ugly. Truly nothing went our way. They must have shot 70% and every loose ball somehow found its way to them. Auburn suffered a defeat like this last year to Texas A&M which I actually think was worse. I think we shot like 25%. We saw that they were and still are a very talented team. I think WVU is obviously very good as well. We are gonna have games like this at times against very good teams because we are outmanned.

As far as Vot goes, Lebo's doing a terrible job with him :drippingsarcasm7pa: . Please..

I dont think you should jump on Lebo because of one game nor should you lend your approval because of one good game either. I think the one thing you can say about the program is that we have improved each year while hes been here (by record), and are on pace to improve again this year. You can read about the issues the team has had during Lebo's tenure. We went 7-9 in the SEC last year (and got jipped in our last game that would have made us West champs) despite probably being the least talented team in the division.

That was ugly. Truly nothing went our way. They must have shot 70% and every loose ball somehow found its way to them. Auburn suffered a defeat like this last year to Texas A&M which I actually think was worse. I think we shot like 25%. We saw that they were and still are a very talented team. I think WVU is obviously very good as well. We are gonna have games like this at times against very good teams because we are outmanned.

As far as Vot goes, Lebo's doing a terrible job with him :drippingsarcasm7pa: . Please..

Keep this in mind..This season we have pretty much been without 40% of our starting lineup...that's two players...Take two starters off anyones team and they are gonna struggle...Quans first game back. He's gotta get his legs back. What frustrated me and probably most of you is the uncontested shots and layups we gave up. That more than anything had me throwing things around the room. On a positive note. I really liked Dewayne's quickness and his ability to get his own shot. He drained a couple of threes and looked good. Barrett continues to baffle me. He just disappears at times. Basketball is a game of runs and streakiness and wvu was hot. They run a very crisp tight offense and can shoot as well as anyone in the country. Ironically they are picked to finish 10th in the Big East. It wouldn't suprise me if they are in the top 3. Huggy bear is a great coach and this team when it plays like that will beat anyone. Here's my thing let's reserve judgement until we get at least halfway through the year. I like Lebo and I'm as frustrated as anyone else about our lack of progress but I was at the Ole Miss game last year and we played well and had every chance in the world to win the SEC. This year and next year I think we'll see progress. One of the things we lack that WV had was a spot up shooter. We don't have anyone who can catch and shoot. We really need to recruit a scotty pohlman type player who has that type of ability. Anyway those are my thoughts...WDE and let's get back on track starting with beat southern in about 10 days.

I left after we missed the 7th free throw in a row late in the game.

After it almost cost us the GW game, Lebo shouldn't have let them leave practice until they hit 50 in a row.

I don't want this to come across as excuses, because we definitely would have lost no matter what, but we had all three possible forces working against us. WVU couldn't miss. We were playing like crap. And the refs were making some pretty gawd-awful calls. Again, no excuses, because the biggest factor was no doubt our poor performance. I was just thinking the whole time, "Come on ref! They really don't need this help you're giving them!"

I left after we missed the 7th free throw in a row late in the game.

After it almost cost us the GW game, Lebo shouldn't have let them leave practice until they hit 50 in a row.

I don't want this to come across as excuses, because we definitely would have lost no matter what, but we had all three possible forces working against us. WVU couldn't miss. We were playing like crap. And the refs were making some pretty gawd-awful calls. Again, no excuses, because the biggest factor was no doubt our poor performance. I was just thinking the whole time, "Come on ref! They really don't need this help you're giving them!"

One of the announcers recently - I think the GW game mentioned that he was on some very poor free throw shooting teams and that they practiced it so much and it became such a mental focus that their percentages actually went down and they shot worse. Sometimes you just arent good free throw shooters and you have to deal with it. I agree that it isnt good, but it might have become a mental block.

We actually have not improved every year under Lebo if judged by record:

2004-2005: 14-17

2005-2006: 12-16

2006-2007: 17-15

As you can see, we regressed from his first to second year.

We actually have not improved every year under Lebo if judged by record:

2004-2005: 14-17

2005-2006: 12-16

2006-2007: 17-15

As you can see, we regressed from his first to second year.

Oh my mistake. I just read that wrong sorry about that. Either way lets wait till the end of the season to burn him. And actually I didnt need the explanation at the end, FYI.

First year was all Seniors... Second year was all freshman and Soph... Last year those Freshman and Soph. were Jrs and Soph...

Looks like improvement to me.

Lebo deserves 5-6 years, period. What established head coach with a good record would seriously consider coming to Auburn? The program has been down for years. Auburn is lucky to have Lebo. They could do a whole lot worse.

Clearly, the problem is the team is undermanned and has no big men (6'8"+) who contribute. A boatload of players have left the program because they didn't want to work hard and do things the right way. Good riddance.

Lebo is bringing in some decent players, but it is going to take 3-4 years of good recruiting classes to turn this program into a steady winner. Auburn beat UAT twice last season. Should have made the NIT. What are you complaining about?

I know last night was hard to take, but WV is probably a sweet sixteen team and Auburn will have to work their collective butts off to make the NIT. WV is an established bb program, has a big name coach, a full roster, and a lot of recent history of winning big games. If you want to blame someone, then blame Jacobs for scheduling the game. Would have been better if the opponent had been Cincinnati (UAB played them Saturday night in BHM).

Lebo is on track to hit 20 wins and maybe win the west division in 3 years. There just isn't enough mature talent or height in the program to do it any sooner.

"Oh my gosh we miss 3 pointers?!?! Coach didn't call a timeout every time WVU made a layup?!?! Let's hire a new coach!"

Sheesh I have never seen so many fairweather fans try to comment on things they know nothing about in my life.

"Oh my gosh we miss 3 pointers?!?! Coach didn't call a timeout every time WVU made a layup?!?! Let's hire a new coach!"

Sheesh I have never seen so many fairweather fans try to comment on things they know nothing about in my life.

Who criticized them for missing three pointers? The free throws were where the criticism was directed at.

Before you condemn people for commenting on things they know nothing about, make sure to check yourself first.

Who criticized them for missing three pointers? The free throws were where the criticism was directed at.

Before you condemn people for commenting on things they know nothing about, make sure to check yourself first.

Um, well, I was imitating their arguments. Laughy laughy ha ha.

I'm basically saying that we shouldn't get all over a coach's back because we lost to a really good team. Every variable went in favor of them (depth, injuries, FG%, etc) so it's not a surprise that we lost. YES there was a lot of hype that our team would be great this year, and YES the players on the court played poorly, but things like injuries and suspensions have gotten in the way of our success. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry but I think if Auburn does not make it to the NIT this year, I say we get rid of Lebo. I wish they never got rid of Cliff. Regardless of what you guys oipinon of him was, in my book he was a WINNER.

Archived