Auburn versus West Virginia!

JBC1124

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cliff took over a losing Auburn program and turned it into a winning program and he only had 1 losing season while he was at Auburn. Lebo has had time and hasn't done anything.

I would say try to get Cliff back but I don't think Cliff would want to come back, plus he already has a job at Coastal Carolina.

I'm seriously sick of not making it to the tournament.

There's a 65 team playoff. That's over half of teams in DI. If we can't get into the top 55% of DI, year after year after miserable year, then something's gotta change. Thirty-two more teams get to play in the"Loser's Tournament" NIT. And we can't even get in that top 82%? We're happy with being in the bottom 18% year after year? Could you imagine Auburn letting its football team deteriorate to that level after making it to the Sugar Bowl (equivalent to elite eight) just four years ago?

It's embarrassing for most schools to go to the NIT. More embarrassing than any bowl to equate it with in college football. And we can't even make it to a 32 seed in that.

Thats not actually entirely correct. I think last year was the first time they used a 16 team NIT field. I guess it was because of lack of interest. Had it been a 32 team field we definitely would have been in. And any regular season conference winners who dont get win their conf. tourney get auto bids.

And as far as the 65 team field goes. 31 teams make the tourney automatically. Of those probably 20 or so wouldnt make it without the auto bid. So thats about the 45 best teams.

I agree that we should make at least one of the tourney's soon. Unfortunately with Dollard being out that is going to be really tough this season. He was without question our best player. If we do it will be nothing short of an amazing coaching performance.

Just in this state. USA, Jax State, BSC, Samford, ASU, Al A&M are all D-1a programs.

Yeah it sucks to have not made the NIT... I'm as frustrated as anyone out there (except for the coaches and the team).

But hey I don't complain. I go to the games, get there early, and still cheer my head off. It isn't hard to do and I have fun. That is whole reason we have sports is for fun. Yeah winning makes it MORE fun. But just being there and supporting the school I love tremendously gives me satisfaction.

Cliff took over a losing Auburn program and turned it into a winning program and he only had 1 losing season while he was at Auburn. Lebo has had time and hasn't done anything.

I would say try to get Cliff back but I don't think Cliff would want to come back, plus he already has a job at Coastal Carolina.

Ummm.... only 1 losing season? Are you sure about that? We missed the postseason practically every year. Occasionally, we'd make the tourney and have a good run. But largely, we played pathetic B-ball under Ellis.

Lebo is leaps and bounds above Ellis.

AURainman, check your stats. We had Ellis ten seasons. We made the NCAA three times, the NIT four times and only missed out on the post-season three times. We only had one losing season.

1994-1995 Auburn 16-13 .552 7-9 (4th-Western) NIT (first round)

1995-1996 Auburn 19-13 .594 6-10 (t-4th-Western) NIT (first round)

1996-1997 Auburn 16-15 .516 6-10 (t-3rd-Western) -

1997-1998 Auburn 16-14 .533 7-9 (3rd-Western) NIT (second round)

1998-1999 Auburn 29-4 .879 14-2 (Champions) NCAA South (Sweet 16)

1999-2000 Auburn 24-10 .706 9-7 (2nd-Western) NCAA Midwest (second round)

2000-2001 Auburn 18-14 .563 7-9 (t-4th-Western) NIT (second round)

2001-2002 Auburn 12-16 .429 4-12 (6th-Western) -

2002-2003 Auburn 22-12 .647 8-8 (t-2nd-Western) NCAA East (Sweet 16)

2002-2003 Auburn 14-14 .500 5-11 (t-4nd-Western) -

In three seasons under Lebo, we have already missed the post-season three times (the same as all ten seasons we had Ellis) and we have already had two losing seasons (one more than under Ellis).

I was a freshman the last year of Tommy Joe Eagles, and the increase in excitement and results under Ellis was significant. We did him wrong. But the past is the past and Lebo is who we have now. I support Lebo. Want him to do great. But Ellis is way under-appreciated.

Last years 17-14 team had a better record than half the years Ellis was there...

Lets just wait till the end of the season to evaluate the program..

AURainman, check your stats. We had Ellis ten seasons. We made the NCAA three times, the NIT four times and only missed out on the post-season three times. We only had one losing season.

In three seasons under Lebo, we have already missed the post-season three times (the same as all ten seasons we had Ellis) and we have already had two losing seasons (one more than under Ellis).

I was a freshman the last year of Tommy Joe Eagles, and the increase in excitement and results under Ellis was significant. We did him wrong. But the past is the past and Lebo is who we have now. I support Lebo. Want him to do great. But Ellis is way under-appreciated.

Post of the day.

When we had to scrimmage the women's team for a year, had a lot of guys leave, and limited schollies; Now, Dollard is out & our biggest guy is injured. I think we all should expect a sweet sixteen this year :rolleyes: . Turning a program takes time. A lot of the folks on here criticize Bama for not allowing a coach enought time to implement his plan and they are now trying to run off a dang good B-ball coach. Thats nuts. He needs four years in a perfect world, 5 when the majority of a team leaves, and 6 when the program fell apart and probation hit. We have been improving yearly, but have a long way to go. And just in case you didn't know: it starts with recruiting. Lebo is doing a heck of a job recruiting especially considering we have inferior facilities, we are primarily a football school, and our team hasn't made it to a tourney in a while. It takes a lot to sell Auburn to these guys. After a few years with a top 25 class and still not tourney appearance, that is when you can start to legitmately mumble about getting rid of Lebo.

I like Beard-Eaves Coliseum, some of my best memories at Auburn games are in that building when we had a dang good b-ball coach and they ran him off. Cliff had his problems too but he still only had 1 losing season. I think its hard to sell Auburn when you can't even make it to the NIT.

If your fantasy is to have Ellis back, then get a new fantasy because its not happening. I dont see why you are arguing about whether Cliff should or should not have gotten fired. He's gone, hes been gone, and hes not coming back. Ellis getting fired had less to do with what he did on the court and more to do with what he did off the court - getting us on probation with caused lots of problems. Ellis was alright, but nothing to get too excited about. Lebo has been put in a tough spot and things are not getting any easier (Dollard out, Sylla and Hargrove out 4-6 weeks). Give the guy a chance to build the program. I think thats what hes doing, but he doesnt need the pressure of having his job on the line on a game to game basis.

I like Beard-Eaves Coliseum, some of my best memories at Auburn games are in that building when we had a dang good b-ball coach and they ran him off. Cliff had his problems too but he still only had 1 losing season. I think its hard to sell Auburn when you can't even make it to the NIT.

I too love BEC, but honestly it is a bit run down. I'd personally rather keep it and renovate/restore it as opposed to the new arena, but that is apparently not happening. I never dis-credited anything CCE did during his tenure. I agree he was a good b-ball coach, but he is not the b-ball coach. That being said, I appreciate what he did during his tenure (except that whole probation thing), but I now support CJL and don't spend time dwelling on the fact that CCE is not here anymore.

Give the guy a chance to build the program. I think thats what hes doing, but he doesnt need the pressure of having his job on the line on a game to game basis.

I agree. Just look at what he did for UT-Chatanooga. I know that isn't as a big of a job as Auburn, but the expereince of building a program transcends the levels of competition.

OK, good stats, but it's not like we have the great players here now like we did in that era. Lebo would have done just as well or even slightly better with those groups of guys.

Well these are Lebo players that are getting blown out by West Virginia who btw wasn't even ranked. lmao. I guess Dollard is the Marquis Daniels of 2002-2003 for the Auburn team, cause if he isn't playing then Auburn isn't scoring.

I agree to give the guy a chance but this is his 4th year and if he doesn't at least make it to the NIT then get rid of him.

P.S. is Sylla and Hargrove starters?

If you don't even know that Sylla and Hargrove aren't starters then you have NO reason to complain...

WVU's only loss has been to Tenn by 2... and the last I checked Tenn has a damn good basketball team. AND they did get votes in the last poll.. Their coach also is the former Cincy coach that had them in the top 10 quite often... who had a full cupboard of players coming in and support of the fans.

Get to know YOUR team before you criticize the coach.

Now onto the new arena...

I like BEMC, but it IS falling apart. And it does not fit in aesthetically with the rest of the campus. This new arena will. Especially with the new housing going up over there. Also for parking purposes this is a better alternative. The location that BEMC is in is massive and will allow enough parking and possibly a new student act in the future (something that has been talked about and needs to happen).

:thumbsup:

If you don't even know that Sylla and Hargrove aren't starters then you have NO reason to complain...

WVU's only loss has been to Tenn by 2... and the last I checked Tenn has a damn good basketball team. AND they did get votes in the last poll.. Their coach also is the former Cincy coach that had them in the top 10 quite often... who had a full cupboard of players coming in and support of the fans.

Get to know YOUR team before you criticize the coach.

I know Auburn's basketball team. I've been watching Auburn basketball for years now, and plus Auburn hasn't been on t.v. much lately, it's freakin December. I can't be on a computer all day and look at who Auburn's starting lineup from week to week cause I don't have time.

You guys can keep makin excuses for Lebo and kissin his butt when we don't make it to the NIT this year.

So when we actually play descent teams where's suppose to be happy that we only lost to a them by 29 points. Because after all Lebo's had a tough time and blah, blah, blah :cheer:

We love you coach Lebo, keep up the good work, because your the best we can get. :thumbsup:

:puke:

We support the current coach. You kiss the previous coach's butt. :boxing: We're getting no where. Shouldn't you say "if" we don't get to the NIT not "when" we don't. Wait until you know a little more about the team and their performance as a whole to start making these accusations.

I like BEMC, but it IS falling apart. And it does not fit in aesthetically with the rest of the campus. This new arena will. Especially with the new housing going up over there. Also for parking purposes this is a better alternative. The location that BEMC is in is massive and will allow enough parking and possibly a new student act in the future (something that has been talked about and needs to happen).

I agree parking should be an issue, but it is not. Auburn is trying to force campus to being pedestrian only. I work for a general contractor and we work there a lot. We just bid on a phase of "The Village". Of all that housing (total of 9 buildings) there is NO parking whatsoever. This is that same area of the future arena and a dining hall. I don't like moving the arena away from JHS, PP, the track, softball field, pools, & McWhorter Center. ** Not to mention the 100 million AU will fork out**

I only kiss Cliff's butt because he was a great coach. It's a shame you guys don't appreciate Cliff more than you do. I'm embarrassed to call myself an Auburn basketball fan with comments like some have posted.

Lebo has done nothing to earn butt-kissing, and unless Dollard can make Auburn a heck of a better team than I saw against West Virginia, then I stand by my comments about the NIT.

I know Cliff didn't help us any by getting scholarships taken away but come on, that was his last year there. He put Auburn basketball back on the map. He is the 2nd winniest Auburn b-ball coach in school history.

Occasionally, we'd make the tourney and have a good run. But largely, we played pathetic B-ball under Ellis.

Lebo is leaps and bounds above Ellis.

Nice to know that Lebo is leaps and bounds better than Ellis :hail:

Huh???

The arena will be across the street from BEMC with a little area opened up for a courtyard between it and JHS

link

My bad.......I had it in mind it was on the other side of the housing.

Archived