Is this the Lebo's year to win?

BZ770

1/01/07 vs. Bluefield College Auburn, AL W, 89-75

11/09/07 at Tulane New Orleans, LA L, 77-62

11/13/07 vs. Kennesaw State Auburn, AL W, 74-62

11/16/07 at Alabama State Montgomery, AL W, 63-60

11/19/07 vs. Charleston Southern North Charleston, SC W, 89-59

12/02/07 vs. George Washington (BB&T Classic) TV Washington, DC (Verizon Center) W, 74-70

12/05/07 vs. West Virginia (Big East/SEC Invitational) TV Birmingham, AL (BJCC Arena)

Right now we are sitting at 4 and 2 with a road win on GW. But the WV embarrassment 88-59 lets me think that we should have never got rid of Coach Ellis. We did that man wrong, with him we at least had a good Basketball team. I like Lebo but I think that this is his last year and if we don't even get an NIT bid than I think it's time for the road.

12/02/07 vs. George Washington (BB&T Classic) TV Washington, DC (Verizon Center) W, 74-70

12/05/07 vs. West Virginia (Big East/SEC Invitational) TV Birmingham, AL (BJCC Arena)

Right now we are sitting at 4 and 2 with a road win on GW. But the WV embarrassment 88-59 lets me think that we should have never got rid of Coach Ellis. We did that man wrong, with him we at least had a good Basketball team. I like Lebo but I think that this is his last year and if we don't even get an NIT bid than I think it's time for the road.

There's a lot of debate on this topic in another thread. Lebo's most ardent backers insist that he should be given at least 4-5 years of free passes in order to get his program in, his players, etc.

I happen to like Lebo, but the "4-5 year plan" concept is sheer LUNACY when it comes to basketball. Great basketball coaches turn programs around in a single year. ONE season. Good coaches might take two. Basketball is the only major sport where this kind of dramatic turnaround is not just possible, but in the case of quality coaches probable. D-1 players rarely sitck around four years. Great players are gone after a single season. Good players are out after two. The idea that a coach should have four or five years to develop is the very definition of insanity.

One player can carry a team at least as far as an NIT bid. Two quality players can drag a team into the NCAA's. There is no plausible, acceptable explanation for the numbing mediocrity that permeates a program after a coach has been there more than two years. And yet that's what we have here.

For what seems like the fiftieth straight year under Lebo we must listen to whining about only having seven players on the bench. I'm quite tired of hearing that Auburn doesn't even have enough players to have a decent scrimmage and we're starting the waterboy at center and dragging a kid out of the stands to run point.

In football, you can tell what kind of coach you have in his third season. In basketball, you know by the middle of season two -- if it takes that long. I don't think the jury is out here, I think the jury has already had a ham hoagie, got its per diem and left the building.

By all means, let's build a 981 kazillion dollar arena so at least when we stink up the joint, we'll do it in style.

Right now we are sitting at 4 and 2 with a road win on GW. But the WV embarrassment 88-59 lets me think that we should have never got rid of Coach Ellis. t We did that man wrong, with him we at least had a good Basketball team. I like Lebo but I think that this is his last year and if we don't even get an NIT bid than I think it's time for the road.

Im going to repost what I said in the last thread.

If your fantasy is to have Ellis back, then get a new fantasy because its not happening. I dont see why you are arguing about whether Cliff should or should not have gotten fired. He's gone, hes been gone, and hes not coming back. Ellis getting fired had less to do with what he did on the court and more to do with what he did off the court - getting us on probation with caused lots of problems. Ellis was alright, but nothing to get too excited about. Lebo has been put in a tough spot and things are not getting any easier (Dollard out, Sylla and Hargrove out 4-6 weeks). Give the guy a chance to build the program. I think thats what hes doing, but he doesnt need the pressure of having his job on the line on a game to game basis.

Saying we did Ellis wrong is like saying we did Pat Dye wrong when he was forced out. He cheated and got our program and school stuck with probation. Thats not the direction I want any athletic program going at Auburn. Things need to be done the right way.

I mean seriously, one bad loss makes you think we shouldnt have gotten rid of a coach 4 years ago? How many games have you actually seen this year other than WV? I doubt you have a very good idea about the state of this team and what it was like over the previous 3 seasons with Lebo.

This Lebo rant sounds like the Bammers standing up for the Coach Shula era. What are we playing for Moral victories, then we had one last year. Was Marquis Daniels that led us to the sweet 16 a few years ago a fluke then we suck butt for the next few years and become the dregs of the SEC. Sorry, but this man has had time and we still are using the same arguments trying to justify our return to descent bball. If this were a Football situation it would have already resulted in his dismissal.

Did you really graduate from this university? You seriously need to learn how to write. A coherent argument would be nice.

"I happen to like Lebo, but the "4-5 year plan" concept is sheer LUNACY when it comes to basketball. Great basketball coaches turn programs around in a single year. ONE season."

Examples?

Lebo needs time because he hasn't gotten a solid recruiting class. Now that he has had that, when the good players from that class earn top roles on the squad, we can better assess Lebo's effectiveness.

Believing that a good coach can turn around a whole program (recruiting, facilities, PLUS the team itself) in one year is not rational. Even if Coach K came here and coached the rest of this season, he would only have slightly better results than Lebo. Why? Because of the players ON THE COURT.

Did you really graduate from this university? You seriously need to learn how to write. A coherent argument would be nice.

BS Business Ad, Major Marketing-Transportation

My argument is that I just wish Auburn Basketball would get back to a competitive playing level in the SEC. And has Lebo had enough time to do it, or is it time to get someone else.

For one thing we aren't Duke, and good coaches aren't going to beat down the door to coach at our school, especially knwoing how few fans support the team.

I think he's a good coach and keeps having bad breaks with players. If there is still littl esign of progression by the end of the year/beginnign of next year I'll start considering a need for change.

I hope he has recruited some players that can actually shoot the ball. I watched WVU make shots with ease in the 12-15 foot range.. our guys have such a hard time doing that. They either have to drive the ball or shoot up a luck 3. I am sorry, but it was like watching a highschool team play the other night. I don't know who to blame, but usually, the coach takes the blame. I am going to blame the coach in this situation. The players were throwing the ball over each others head.. turnover .. turnover. I blame that on coaching. If your good enough to play basketball in college, then your not constantly making bad passes.

I know that nothing is going to happen to Lebo.. and I like him, but after watching them the other night, it made me think of his 1st year at Auburn all over again. After the end of last season, I thought the team was headed in the right direction. Not so sure now. Maybe by the time SEC play gets here, the team finds the chemistry.

Lebo is the guy we need. Let him be for NOW. This program is snakebitten and Lebo is working his a** off to keep this deal together. Injuries, suspensions, and walk off have left him with a bum rap. Dean Smith would not be able to do any better with what has been thrown in Lebos lap. Support the team. If he can't get it done, then get ready for the next guy to fail. This program has a looooooong way to go. Thanks to Cliff and the gang.

Lebo is the guy we need. Let him be for NOW. This program is snakebitten and Lebo is working his a** off to keep this deal together. Injuries, suspensions, and walk off have left him with a bum rap. Dean Smith would not be able to do any better with what has been thrown in Lebos lap. Support the team. If he can't get it done, then get ready for the next guy to fail. This program has a looooooong way to go. Thanks to Cliff and the gang.

This is Lebo's 4th year and you guys are still acting like this is all Cliff's fault. Yeah, Lebo's 1st year or 2 was in part to Cliff but you can't seriously still be saying this is Cliff's fault when this is Lebo's 4th year. Cliff ain't the guy out there gettin beat by 29 points. It ain't cliff's fault that we've had a couple of a guys get injured.

You guys need to face reality and accept the fact that Lebo can't get it done and ain't gonna get the job done if Auburn kisses his butt and gives him 3 more years to turn the program around and still can't. I guess you guys will be happy making the NIT every 4-5 years but I won't be.

I want to see how they look with Prowell back in shape and Sylla in the rotation. If they can't produce after that, we need to question what's going on. I watched as much of the WVU game as I could stomach. WVU may turn out to tbe one of the better teams in the country once it's all said and done. But, I saw one team, WVU, running a beautiful offense, squaring up and taking good shots (And making them). I saw another team, you know which one, struggling to run any semblence of an offense, completely lost on defense, clanking shots from everywhere on the court including, shooting free throws like the Upwards Basketball team my 7 year old plays on.

Lebo was a great pure shooter at NC. Why on earth has he not recruited a sole that even resembles a threat to hit a 3-pointer? Why has he not taught these guys how to shoot...I mean free throws that barely hit the side of the rim???? Please.

I want the guy to succeed and I want Auburn basketball to finally be competitive. But, what I've seen this year so far, doesn't look any better than the first year of his tenure.

Kelvin Lewis is supposed to be a great 3 point shooter but he left...

Although I can't blame him or Lebo for that... Lewis moved back home to play under his Dad who just got a job at Houston.

Toney Douglas could shoot, but yet again his transferring had more to do with Douglas' dad being an idiot than Lebo.

Tay Waller coming in supposedly is one of the best 3 point shooters in JUCO..

I don't understand the FT's, but hasn't Auburn always had problems shooting the FT? If I remember correctly (which I may not) didn't the 99 team have problems shooting them as well?

There's a lot of debate on this topic in another thread. Lebo's most ardent backers insist that he should be given at least 4-5 years of free passes in order to get his program in, his players, etc.

I happen to like Lebo, but the "4-5 year plan" concept is sheer LUNACY when it comes to basketball. Great basketball coaches turn programs around in a single year. ONE season. Good coaches might take two. Basketball is the only major sport where this kind of dramatic turnaround is not just possible, but in the case of quality coaches probable. D-1 players rarely sitck around four years. Great players are gone after a single season. Good players are out after two. The idea that a coach should have four or five years to develop is the very definition of insanity.

One player can carry a team at least as far as an NIT bid. Two quality players can drag a team into the NCAA's. There is no plausible, acceptable explanation for the numbing mediocrity that permeates a program after a coach has been there more than two years. And yet that's what we have here.

For what seems like the fiftieth straight year under Lebo we must listen to whining about only having seven players on the bench. I'm quite tired of hearing that Auburn doesn't even have enough players to have a decent scrimmage and we're starting the waterboy at center and dragging a kid out of the stands to run point.

In football, you can tell what kind of coach you have in his third season. In basketball, you know by the middle of season two -- if it takes that long. I don't think the jury is out here, I think the jury has already had a ham hoagie, got its per diem and left the building.

By all means, let's build a 981 kazillion dollar arena so at least when we stink up the joint, we'll do it in style.

How do you suppose Auburn go about getting a good to great coach with subpar facilites and meager fan support?

How do you suppose Auburn go about getting a good to great coach with subpar facilites and meager fan support?

Chicken and egg argument.

Do you think a swankier building and better tasting hot dog will put even one more fan in the stands? No, Larry Langford, even if you build it they may not come.

But better facilities WILL put better players on the court.

The biggest plus about the new facility will be the smaller seating. Although we won't have as much fan support, the arena will appear less empty than the eyesore that BEMC is.

Do you think a swankier building and better tasting hot dog will put even one more fan in the stands? No, Larry Langford, even if you build it they may not come.

But what good to great coach would want to come to Auburn when the facilites are last in the SEC and the attendance numbers are awful? By the same token, what bluce chip recruit would want to come and play in the same situation? I don't know why you are against a new arena, BEMC is 40+ years old and past the point of any meaningful upgrades. Lebo has had a run of luck with players leaving and other getting injured, he can't control that.

I guess since Auburn's had such crappy basketball teams the past couple of years, they let Beard-Eaves go to waste, because it was in good shape when Cliff was still coaching and winning.

If you compare Beard-Eaves with other SEC basketball arenas, Beard-Eaves isn't that old. Auburn has the 8th newest basketball arena right now. Beard-Eaves opened in 1969.

Alabama - Coleman Coliseum - 1968

Ole Miss - C.M. "Tad" Smith Coliseum - 1966

Georgia - Stegeman Coliseum - 1964

Vanderbilt - Memorial Gymnasium - 1950

Damn, Vandy needs a new arena bad then if you guys are sayin Beard-Eaves is old.

The difference is that the other arenas have undergone extensive upgrades...

The problem I don't think was upgrading it... It was the cost to upgrade it. The estimates I saw were around 70million...

It IS that bad though. Seats are falling apart and it IS an eyesore.

Why are you so against putting it up... You technically aren't paying for it and neither are the students?

I took a Health Human Performance class in there around 99 and my graduation was in there in 2000 and it wasn't that bad. I think it is a huge waste of money to build a new arena. Pretty soon Samford Hall will be the only building left on campus that you recognize.

I'm for the new arena, and I hope it can bring in some concerts as well.

We have to be more balanced in athletics.

FACT: Auburn is the ONLY SEC team without a practice facility.

FACT: Beard-Eaves is the armpit of SEC arenas.

FACT: The Auburn administration cares the least about basketball (of the men's big 3).

Until these things are rectified, we could roll Adolph Rupp out there and he'd lose at least 12 a year.

Cliff Ellis signed a stellar Junior College player that instantly elevated everyone to a higher level. That's why we had those two brief years of success. Recruiting took off hot on the heels of a popular "program on the rise." Unfortunately, the shine wore off of that penny, and we're back to the place we deserve. Luckily, the Powers that Be have noticed this and are making a change.

Lebo is ABSOLUTELY the right man for the job. We need to support him as long as we can.

I guess since Auburn's had such crappy basketball teams the past couple of years, they let Beard-Eaves go to waste, because it was in good shape when Cliff was still coaching and winning.

If you compare Beard-Eaves with other SEC basketball arenas, Beard-Eaves isn't that old. Auburn has the 8th newest basketball arena right now. Beard-Eaves opened in 1969.

Alabama - Coleman Coliseum - 1968

Ole Miss - C.M. "Tad" Smith Coliseum - 1966

Georgia - Stegeman Coliseum - 1964

Vanderbilt - Memorial Gymnasium - 1950

Damn, Vandy needs a new arena bad then if you guys are sayin Beard-Eaves is old.

Coleman just had a massive upgrade and the others are in a lot better shape than BEMC. Memorial Gymnasium is actually a fun place to watch a game, it has personality. BEMC has all the personality of GG when he is in a good mood.

Archived