Auburn losing recruiting war with in-state rival

Ryan Sanders

http://www.alexcityoutlook.com/articles/20...ts/sports04.txt

Just take a look and read his article.

"Quote: Tommy Tuberville on Feb. 4, 1999 from the Columbus Ledger-Enquirer: "We don't recruit out of magazines, we don't recruit out of recruiting services, we go out and evaluate our players."

Question to Coach Tuberville: For the past five years, where and the heck have you been looking? As of this date, you are sitting in 31st with 53 days left until national signing day."

Its funny.. he never wants to mention that we had a huge recruiting class last year and actually HAVE recruited well. This guy is a nut bag actually.

I know this hasn't been the best recruiting year.. but we still have a while to go.

Also this from the article

"Alabama will be the top recruiting class in the country - they will land top prospect, No. 1 wide receiver Julio Jones. The Tide will ink no less than 10 more top 150 recruits, all in the top 15 at their respective positions."

Is he saying that Alabama will sign 10 more top 150 recruits from what they have already? Or in total?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Quote: Tommy Tuberville on Feb. 4, 1999 from the Columbus Ledger-Enquirer: "We don't recruit out of magazines, we don't recruit out of recruiting services, we go out and evaluate our players."

Question to Coach Tuberville: For the past five years, where and the heck have you been looking? As of this date, you are sitting in 31st with 53 days left until national signing day."

Its funny.. he never wants to mention that we had a huge recruiting class last year and actually HAVE recruited well. This guy is a nut bag actually.

I know this hasn't been the best recruiting year.. but we still have a while to go.

"Alabama will be the top recruiting class in the country - they will land top prospect, No. 1 wide receiver Julio Jones. The Tide will ink no less than 10 more top 150 recruits, all in the top 15 at their respective positions."

Is he saying that Alabama will sign 10 more top 150 recruits from what they have already? Or in total?

The guy's a moron.

I read the article this morning. From a recruiting ranking perspective, Tuberville is getting destroyed by Saban. Saban is here 1 year and already filling in talent like there is no tomorrow. You guys can make excuses like "well they have lots of scholarships to offer and players will quit, so that means playing time." I don't care - the guy is bringing in a lot of talent next year.

I'm not saying Tuberville's signing class is a disappointment. But we all know if the recruits were the other way around, from a rankings perspective, we'd be jumping for joy and making fun of the opposition.

I'm somewhat indifferent. I don't think I've ever bragged about a "recruiting coup" except for Carnell Williams. I got excited about him before he played a down. Other than that, I just want the guys that we pursue. I'm not a killer nay-sayer. Bama and other teams get guys we want from time to time, but as long as we get guys we target early on... I feel great about our guys. This staff is better at spotting talent than almost any in the SEC.

As for this guy... he writes for the Alex City newspaper. Why would you expect anything worthwhile?

Thats a good article......

triumph-the-dog-to-perform-on-tbs-special.jpg

to poop on.

Here's a reminder: I am not an Alabama fan.

But you sure know your audience. More proof that a clue is generally not included with a keyboard and a printing press.

There is a insinuation that we must pay players in there too. Classy. :thumbsdown:

I read the article this morning. From a recruiting ranking perspective, Tuberville is getting destroyed by Saban. Saban is here 1 year and already filling in talent like there is no tomorrow. You guys can make excuses like "well they have lots of scholarships to offer and players will quit, so that means playing time." I don't care - the guy is bringing in a lot of talent next year.

I'm not saying Tuberville's signing class is a disappointment. But we all know if the recruits were the other way around, from a rankings perspective, we'd be jumping for joy and making fun of the opposition.

I am not going to argue that this year's recruiting class isn't too great (to this point). But for him to act like Tuberville is lazy and hasn't recruited well.. Got lucky with Williams and Brown.. blah blah.. is way off.

The main thing I am worried about right now is next year... will we be sitting here again with a decent season, and a recruiting class way behind Bama's?? I am not being pessimistic but just thinking real.

I would like to feel assurance with Franklin.. but he was running an offense against teams that aren't good. So for now, all I can do is wait and see how we do next year on offense.

Bama was 6-6. They stunk. They lost to ULM. Any major college program that loses 6 games or more with the number of patsys you have on the schedule stinks. They need help. Lots of it. We were 8-4 and most of our talent is young and learning or waiting for their opportunity to shine. Most of the little talent UAT had is graduating (Gilberry, Hall, few others). They are gonna get some players.

As far as Franklin goes, it's not like this guy has only coached in the SEC. He led UK to relevance in the SEC before today's age of "parody". The spread has been run at all levels with success. UK played plenty of good teams defenses during that time. We will be running this offense with as much offensive talent as anyone in the country.

I said this on another thread...check out the average rating of the recruits. There's little difference. Bama has more commitments now, Auburn has more offers left to give. Small differences in the average rating can result in significant gaps between rankings.

this makes it even better.

link

Friday, December 14, 2007

Plagiarism at the Alex City Outlook

From Pat Forde's column at ESPN.com on December 11, 2007:

[T]hose Arkansas fans ready to embrace their new hotshot coach and his pretty ball plays need to understand one thing:

The disingenuous drifter doesn't love you or any other fan base. He doesn't love any school or any NFL franchise. He loves himself, his playbook and his bank account.

That's it. Don't expect it to change.

Bobby Petrino will return your embrace, Hog fans. But while he's hugging you he'll be looking over your shoulder, scanning the terrain for his next hook-up.

Even in a profession rife with dishonest posturing, Petrino is singularly mercenary. Loyalty, allegiance, commitment and honesty are foreign concepts to him. It must be a sad existence.

I apologize to Alabama's Nick Saban -- last year I named him president of the Liar's Club. He's been impeached and replaced by the disingenuous drifter.

(Emphasis mine above and below.)

From Bruce Meyers' column in the Alexander City (AL) Outlook, December 14, 2007:

Nick Saban should send flowers to Petrino for taking the Arkansas job. Now the media can get off of Saban's back about how he handled the job change. They are calling Petrino the disingenuous drifter.

To the Hog fans: Petrino doesn't love you or any other fan base. He doesn't love any school or NFL franchise. Petrino loves himself, his playbook and his bank account. Petrino is a mercenary at best. Loyalty, allegiance commitment and honesty are foreign concepts to this guy.

Coach Saban, you have been impeached and replaced.

Meyers makes it a point to say twice in the column linked above, "I am not an Alabama fan." Maybe, maybe not, Bruce, but you are a plagiarist.

this makes it even better.

link

Friday, December 14, 2007

Plagiarism at the Alex City Outlook

From Pat Forde's column at ESPN.com on December 11, 2007:

[T]hose Arkansas fans ready to embrace their new hotshot coach and his pretty ball plays need to understand one thing:

The disingenuous drifter doesn't love you or any other fan base. He doesn't love any school or any NFL franchise. He loves himself, his playbook and his bank account.

That's it. Don't expect it to change.

Bobby Petrino will return your embrace, Hog fans. But while he's hugging you he'll be looking over your shoulder, scanning the terrain for his next hook-up.

Even in a profession rife with dishonest posturing, Petrino is singularly mercenary. Loyalty, allegiance, commitment and honesty are foreign concepts to him. It must be a sad existence.

I apologize to Alabama's Nick Saban -- last year I named him president of the Liar's Club. He's been impeached and replaced by the disingenuous drifter.

(Emphasis mine above and below.)

From Bruce Meyers' column in the Alexander City (AL) Outlook, December 14, 2007:

Nick Saban should send flowers to Petrino for taking the Arkansas job. Now the media can get off of Saban's back about how he handled the job change. They are calling Petrino the disingenuous drifter.

To the Hog fans: Petrino doesn't love you or any other fan base. He doesn't love any school or NFL franchise. Petrino loves himself, his playbook and his bank account. Petrino is a mercenary at best. Loyalty, allegiance commitment and honesty are foreign concepts to this guy.

Coach Saban, you have been impeached and replaced.

Meyers makes it a point to say twice in the column linked above, "I am not an Alabama fan." Maybe, maybe not, Bruce, but you are a plagiarist.

I knew that sounded familiar. Wow, anybody e-mail Forde?

The words "From a rankings perspective" are pretty key in your overall assessment. I would say that you're comments would indicate your not as impressed with our recruiting vs the competition based mostly on the national "ranking" of the comparative recruits. IMO the overall quality of the players we are bringing in should and will eventually equate to a much better FINAL ranking. IMO, To some degree, the ranking process of a recruit could be compared to the BCS ranking process-what goes into the determination of the rankings is flawed and we can see that time and time again looking backward. The true assesement of which players were really the best won't come until after the fact. Class, character, balance with personality and outlook on life COMBINED with pure physical on the field talent have to be looked at as a major portion of the definitive measure of how great a potential the player brings to do truly great things for themselves and our program in the process. How much weight is placed on that piece as far as player recruit rankings go?

To my point, I can remember two recent examples of highly touted recruits out there that we passed on and/or passed on us that included a certain linebacker that loved lobster, went to Miami and disappeared into oblivion ala the thug life, and a certain qb that plays for the other tigers that has developed a fairly discouraging and questionable habit of finding himself in the middle of thuggish problems as well. How does this equate to the sensational rankings they were given prior to signing day? They both may have been higher ranked players than what we ended up getting for the same position but will the players we took end up performing in the most well rounded fashion?-I'd say more than likely so if history prevails. No one is perfect at recruiting the best of the best at all times-even some of our best haven't turned out and there are always diamonds in the rough that outperform expectations. All areas considered-our recruiting classes continue to perform entirely as well if not better than the best "ranked" out there.

Bottom line to me is that if CTT and his staff continue to recruit just the way they have, we'll continue to have a chance at playing in and winning the SEC Championship and be in the NC mix year in and year out to boot. Our coaches know how to find the talent and how to get the better balanced results in building great men and in continuing our runs at Championship opportunities. It just a matter of timing and perserverance before we get to see what we all want to see.

Just my $.02

It is strange that some claim that stars don't matter (and they may not in all cases) but last year CTT certainly went after and got more players with 4 stars than he has so far th is year. So it must mean something! It's NEVER good when you allow your chief rival to outrecruit you in=state because it means you have established or re-established relationships with the high school coaches and the players then have friends who have committed to a certain school which draws even more to that school. I will say this....CTT cannot afford to allow this to continue in-state even if he continues to draw talent from surrounding states as in the past. I hope that Franklin and the new offensive strategy helps draw some in-state players back in our direction this year as the recruiting closes out for 2007 and continues into next year. We need to make a stronger effort to attract kids like AJ McCarron back to Auburn for camps. Check out scout and see how many kids this year attended camps at Auburn compared with Bammer. :au:

The guy's a moron.

for speaking the truth??

I am not going to argue that this year's recruiting class isn't too great (to this point). But for him to act like Tuberville is lazy and hasn't recruited well.. Got lucky with Williams and Brown.. blah blah.. is way off.

The main thing I am worried about right now is next year... will we be sitting here again with a decent season, and a recruiting class way behind Bama's?? I am not being pessimistic but just thinking real.

I would like to feel assurance with Franklin.. but he was running an offense against teams that aren't good. So for now, all I can do is wait and see how we do next year on offense.

And so it begins. The process is starting to work. You are wise to fear Saban's recruiting............

We have been trying to tell you that Saban is a recruiting machine. Still, you laughed and poked fun at him. This will be the norm with his recruiting. He is earning his money right now, imo. In a couple of years, we will be a force. You know it and we know it.............. :big:

And so it begins. The process is starting to work. You are wise to fear Saban's recruiting............

This is the same crap we have been hearing for almost 30 years. It gets old. In this state it is always media driven. We were suppose to fear all of the previous guys and how "great" they all recruited. You guys are about perception.

You wanted to "win" the press conference when hiring this last time.

You wanted to "win" with "the process" and "tough discipline"

Now you want to "win" recruiting.

As we use to say in little league, "Just look at the scoreboard"

You guys "win" everywhere except where it count over the past 25 years or so. And to borrow from you guys the only reason you did good in '90-'92 was that we were headed to "probation" and that is the only reason you did win.

whistle past the graveyard.

Six and counting, son...six and counting. You just keep adding up your moral victories...and we'll just keep adding up the ones on the field. See you in JH-West. B)

:au::homer:

Actually, we lost the in-state recruiting war even when bama was on probation.

Funny but we just keep winning Iron Bowls because we recruit so well out of MS, FL, and GA as well.

We have been trying to tell you that Saban is a recruiting machine. Still, you laughed and poked fun at him. This will be the norm with his recruiting. He is earning his money right now, imo. In a couple of years, we will be a force. You know it and we know it.............. :big:

Yeah, two more years and he can be in the same league as Mike Dubose.

How did that turn out for you?

Here's the way I look at it. In recruiting, Alabama needs to fill all positions, so it's easier for them. They can recruit anybody - or if you prefer, any position. Auburn needs to recruit SPECIFIC positions, so we are more particular about who, or what position, we recruit. That's one reason their recruiting is going so much faster than ours. I'm not worried. We have always started out slow, but ended with exactly who we needed (or more than we needed - that's a plus!). Don't be concerned until February. We'll be the ones smiling then. And it really doesn't matter what everybody else does. What we do, is the important thing!

Archived