'V-Day' at Amherst High School

MDM4AU

Oh, the depravity!!!

SO, I can safely assume that you have no problem with showing this to 14-17 year-old high school students?

If so, it doesn't surprise me!

Oh, the depravity!!!

SO, I can safely assume that you have no problem with showing this to 14-17 year-old high school students?

If so, it doesn't surprise me!

I've never seen it. What's it about?

In The Vagina Monologues, Eve Ensler gives voice to a chorus of lusty, outrageous, poignant, brave, highly original and thoroughly human stories. Based on interviews with a diverse group of women – from a Long Island antique dealer to a Bosnian refugee – the play brazenly explores the humor, power, pain, wisdom, outrage, mystery, and excitement hidden in vaginas. Having seen The Vagina Monologues, no one – woman or man – will ever look at the world the same way again.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with adults seeing this. I personally will not. But to perform this in school for adolescents is appauling to me. The topics covered (other than the obvious) and detail used is simply inappropriate for school. This from the same school that will not allow "A West Side Story." Says it stereotypes hispanics.

Depravity?

YES!

So, you are saying you have no problem with the school showing this to 14-17 year-olds? Or did I assume "I knew you better than I did?"

If so, it doesn't really surprise me.

I have no problem with a school in Massachusetts deciding for itself what plays it wants to show. If I had a child going to that school and felt that it was inappropriate then I'd voice my opinion to the school's administrator and keep my child out of school on the day it was shown or I'd attend the play with him.

I have no problem with a school in Massachusetts deciding for itself what plays it wants to show. If I had a child going to that school and felt that it was inappropriate then I'd voice my opinion to the school's administrator and keep my child out of school on the day it was shown or I'd attend the play with him.

So why all the grief with me about my opinion that it is inappropriate? It's just my opinion. :blink:

It isn't some enlightened play about sex and love and identity. It is total feminist claptrap that wraps itself in the cloak of respectability by donating proceeds to women's causes. It is total crap and IMHO, does not reflect the views of modern, mainstream women.

I am certainly no prude, and have no problem discussing ANYTHING with anyone as long as the person with whom I am talking is comfortable with the conversation. I went to a WOMEN'S COLLEGE - and believe me when I tell you that the word "Baptist" in the name did not limit the topics of conversations taking place in those dorm rooms at night. But NEVER NOT ONCE did my GF and I sit around the old dorm roomand wonder what our vaginas would wear if we could dress them... :roll:

It isn't that we aren't "supposed' to talk about them, the better questions is "why would we WANT to talk about them"??????????

Do you guys sit around and chat about your penises?

Link to a "Review"

Eve Ensler, a practicing feminist her entire life, has traveled the world interviewing women about their relationships with their bodies. In her most famous play, The Vagina Monologues, the biblically named writer put together stories from a diverse group of women, each one bluntly exploring a specific aspect of the vagina. Trading off between light-hearted, shocking and pit-of-the-stomach disturbing, the play covers hair, scents, masturbation, sex, orgasms, secretions, periods, birth, mutilation, rape, what we call vaginas, what they would wear if they got dressed, what they would say if they talked, etc. Acknowledging that vaginas do exist, it’s a reconnection of sorts, making us aware that vulvas are a part of women and sacred, connected to the mind and not a shameful thing.

You know, stuff we’re not supposed to talk about.

Since The Vagina Monologues publication in 1998, a small revolution has taken place across the country, leading to a slow leak into the mainstream. The V-Day Initiative, a movement to end violence toward women, grew from the book and now college groups perform the play on Valentine’s Day each year to standing-room-only crowds, raising awareness and funds for domestic violence programs. The first V-Days happened in New York, London and Los Angeles.

Ensler wrote the play because she heard women talking about their vaginas and what they said surprised her. What she found out was that women were really “hungry” to talk about them. “They had no context or place where they could do that. And that by talking about them, they made themselves more real, more present and more legitimate,” she says on the phone from New York.

So why all the grief with me about my opinion that it is inappropriate? It's just my opinion. :blink:

Where's the grief??? Never once typed the word 'inappropriate.' Didn't even think it. Legal term for this is 'Assuming facts not in evidence.'

Let me re-phrase:

MY OPINION IS THAT IT IS INAPPROPRIATE. YOU GAVE ME GREIF ABOUT THAT OPINION. Pay attention here, man! It's not that difficult. I don't think you feel anything is inappropriate. That's the sad part!

Let me re-phrase:

MY OPINION IS THAT IT IS INAPPROPRIATE. YOU GAVE ME GREIF ABOUT THAT OPINION. Pay attention here, man! It's not that difficult. I don't think you feel anything is inappropriate. That's the sad part!

Pay attention: I wasn't giving you GRIEF, I was making fun of you!!! Oh, the depravity!!! But, you've given me an idea for a new topic. Thanks, and I hope you'll be one of the first to reply!!!

Archived