Enough with the Lebo

GalensGhost

Okay. I'm off the bandwagon. Won't be getting back on. And here's why: Ole Miss.

Are you seriously going to tell me that Auburn was a bigger basketball wasteland than Ole Miss? The Rebels sucked at roundball since Jonah rode the whale. It was a desert over there. They play in the "Tad Pad" for Buddha's sake.

Kennedy showed up in 2006 to take over that dreadful Ole Miss program. Where are the Rebels today?

Basketball should not be a five or ten year building process. And AU is going to invest $100 katrillion dollars in an arena when only 11 fans show up for a home SEC game? Yeah, Catch-22 blah, blah, blah. This isn't Field of Dreams. If you build it, they still won't come. You should have a program that WINS before you invest in it.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The biggest difference I see in Ole Miss and Auburn's situations: probation and freakish injuries. Ellis left a mess behind. It was exacerbated by the prima donna attitudes of Marco Killingsworth and Lewis Monroe (and one other cat I can't remember) not being willing to get with the program of the new coach and deciding to transfer. Toney Douglas and his father were of the same ilk.

Then you finally get to this year where the new players are coming along and we're looking to really turn the corner. You lose leading scorer Josh Dollard to a medical condition. Lebo has to suspend the next leading scorer and rebounder, Quan Prowell, for the first six games because of academic issues. And just when you think they might still be able to make a little noise, your leading scorer and the man leading the NCAA in FG percentage, Barber, breaks his wrist right before SEC time starts and he's out 4-6 weeks.

I just can't fault Lebo for the run of horrible luck he's had. Can anyone show me another team that not only had to come from being down before the new coach's arrival, but got all of the above added to the deck? You say you need to have a winner before investing, but I don't think Billy Donovan, Coach K or Roy Williams could have done much better with these circumstances. They might have gotten a few more recruits because of their reputations but that's it. And we're not going to attract a coach like that right now. Not with our reputation as a football school. Not with our facilities.

Watching Lebo, I can see he's an excellent coach on the floor. He gets more out of this bunch than just about anyone could. We could bring someone else in here, and they likely will do better than Lebo has done. But it wouldn't be because they were actually better than him, just that they would be coming in on the tailend of all the mess.

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think I've ever seen a situation at an SEC school (or any other in recent memory) like I've seen Lebo have to deal with. Yet we came within an eyelash of winning the (albeit, down) SEC West last year. I think if the things out of his control (Dollard's medical situation and Vot's injury) hadn't happened, you'd see another step forward this year. I mean, do you honestly think he's to blame?

auburn fans don't ask for much when it comes to basketball. all we want is to be one of the top 62 teams in the nation.

Okay. I'm off the bandwagon. Won't be getting back on. And here's why: Ole Miss.

Are you seriously going to tell me that Auburn was a bigger basketball wasteland than Ole Miss? The Rebels sucked at roundball since Jonah rode the whale. It was a desert over there. They play in the "Tad Pad" for Buddha's sake.

Kennedy showed up in 2006 to take over that dreadful Ole Miss program. Where are the Rebels today?

Basketball should not be a five or ten year building process. And AU is going to invest $100 katrillion dollars in an arena when only 11 fans show up for a home SEC game? Yeah, Catch-22 blah, blah, blah. This isn't Field of Dreams. If you build it, they still won't come. You should have a program that WINS before you invest in it.

Shut......up....

I'm not a "how many game do YOU go to" fan. Nor am I a "Real fans do THIS" guy. However, anyone who blames Lebo for this year, simply hasn't kept up with the basketball program. And for that you deserve a big STFU.

Under Lebo...

1st Year...the NCAAs shortest team with 8* seniors and no juniors, one sophomore. Dwayne Curtis (Ole Miss' best player this year), Marco Killingsworth, Lewis Monroe all transfer. Brandon Robinson flunks out. That's four STARTERS unexpectantly gone his FIRST FRICKIN' YEAR. Without a forward on the team, Lebo gets an immediate pass on this year. Toney Douglas was a stud, but wanted to play point instead of SG. ??? What a waste.

2nd year...Toney Douglas (leading scorer) transfers. Luckily, the 8-5 rule is abolished and Auburn can recruit to fill in the gaping hole that the 8* seniors left on the team. Still, Lebo can't quite fill an entire roster. He lands McDonald's All American Vot Barber. The team struggles early and on the road due to inexperience and youth.

3rd year...The Super Sophs are just that. Super. Vot, Josh Dollard, Quantez Robertson, Rasheem Barrett all play well. Add in Dwayne Reed, Quan Prowell, and Archie Miaway, and you've got a contender. In spite of 90%* of the minutes being played by underclassmen, Auburn comes within 0:10 of winning the west by stealing a victory from Ole Miss on their court. The team had its first winning record since the Marquis Daniels days. Things are looking up.

4th year...Things are still looking strong. Lebo brings in a legitimate big man Boubacar Scylla. With 13 scholarship players and 5 starters returning, nothing less than an NCAA bid would be considered a success. Then, the worst string of luck has happened.

Josh Dollard........last year's leading scorer, out for season on medical redshirt.

Boubacar Scylla...fractured ankle* in game two, out for remainder of season.

Rasheem Barrett..injured in P.E. the day of the team's first game. half-speed two games.

Quan Prowell.......suspended indefinitely (6 games to start the year).

Archie Miaway.....didn't make the grades, out at least the first semester...oops, the whole season.

Lucas Hargrove...broken wrist in game 8* out for 4 weeks.

Vot Barber..........broken arm in game 12* out for 4-6 weeks, likely the remainder of the year.

Aside from Rasheem Barrett above, those losses have all been DEVASTATING to this team. Now, the team is playing with 6.5 scholarship athletes. When your sixth man was originally your 13th man, you can't hand that to Adolph Rupp and get a winner out of it.

So, you tell me a logical reason why Lebo is to blame for this rash of injuries. If you can do that, I'll pack his bags for him. If not, I'd ask you to climb back into your La-Z-Boy and let 2008 play out. If 2009 rolls around and we still aren't SEC competitive, I'll lead the charge against Lebo with you. However, as it stands now, Lebo deserves every OUNCE of support to keep him here at basketball coaching purgatory.

Again, I ask you. If you are the coach at Auburn, how do YOU recruit kids to play B-ball at Auburn. Crappy facilities? Check. The worst basketball fans in the SEC? Check. Perrenial doormat? Check. Lack of momentum? Check.

*stat recalled from memory, not researched, because I'm too busy.

Amen to Rainman's post. I think he hit the nail on the head. If we aren't willing to support him better, I don't think we can get bent out of shape about his performance.

Shut......up....

I'm not a "how many game do YOU go to" fan. Nor am I a "Real fans do THIS" guy. However, anyone who blames Lebo for this year, simply hasn't kept up with the basketball program. And for that you deserve a big STFU.

Under Lebo...

1st Year...the NCAAs shortest team with 8* seniors and no juniors, one sophomore. Dwayne Curtis (Ole Miss' best player this year), Marco Killingsworth, Lewis Monroe all transfer. Brandon Robinson flunks out. That's four STARTERS unexpectantly gone his FIRST FRICKIN' YEAR. Without a forward on the team, Lebo gets an immediate pass on this year. Toney Douglas was a stud, but wanted to play point instead of SG. ??? What a waste.

2nd year...Toney Douglas (leading scorer) transfers. Luckily, the 8-5 rule is abolished and Auburn can recruit to fill in the gaping hole that the 8* seniors left on the team. Still, Lebo can't quite fill an entire roster. He lands McDonald's All American Vot Barber. The team struggles early and on the road due to inexperience and youth.

3rd year...The Super Sophs are just that. Super. Vot, Josh Dollard, Quantez Robertson, Rasheem Barrett all play well. Add in Dwayne Reed, Quan Prowell, and Archie Miaway, and you've got a contender. In spite of 90%* of the minutes being played by underclassmen, Auburn comes within 0:10 of winning the west by stealing a victory from Ole Miss on their court. The team had its first winning record since the Marquis Daniels days. Things are looking up.

4th year...Things are still looking strong. Lebo brings in a legitimate big man Boubacar Scylla. With 13 scholarship players and 5 starters returning, nothing less than an NCAA bid would be considered a success. Then, the worst string of luck has happened.

Josh Dollard........last year's leading scorer, out for season on medical redshirt.

Rasheem Barrett..injured in P.E. the day of the team's first game. half-speed two games.

Archie Miaway.....didn't make the grades, out at least the first semester...oops, the whole season.

Vot Barber..........broken arm in game 12* out for 4-6 weeks, likely the remainder of the year.

Aside from Rasheem Barrett above, those losses have all been DEVASTATING to this team. Now, the team is playing with 6.5 scholarship athletes. When your sixth man was originally your 13th man, you can't hand that to Adolph Rupp and get a winner out of it.

So, you tell me a logical reason why Lebo is to blame for this rash of injuries. If you can do that, I'll pack his bags for him. If not, I'd ask you to climb back into your La-Z-Boy and let 2008 play out. If 2009 rolls around and we still aren't SEC competitive, I'll lead the charge against Lebo with you. However, as it stands now, Lebo deserves every OUNCE of support to keep him here at basketball coaching purgatory.

Again, I ask you. If you are the coach at Auburn, how do YOU recruit kids to play B-ball at Auburn. Crappy facilities? Check. The worst basketball fans in the SEC? Check. Perrenial doormat? Check. Lack of momentum? Check.

Nice post.

If a Bama fan had put it out there, it would be considered "excuses". But it's okay by me.

I'm still off the bandwagon.

Nice post.

If a Bama fan had put it out there, it would be considered "excuses". But it's okay by me.

I'm still off the bandwagon.

More elbow room for me. Me and my shadow.

Shut......up....

Under Lebo...

I thought the exact same thing

One point of order...while Ole Miss hasn't exactly been a traditional hotbed of hoops prowess, they did make 5 NCAA tournaments in a 6 year stretch from 1997-2002. That's more than we've made in the last 20 years (1988, 1999, 2000, 2003).

Lebo has definitely been hamstrung by an inordinate number of injuries this season, but part of his job is also to recruit well enough to withstand those injuries...if that sounds like I'm waffling, well, I'm still in the jury room on Lebo.

Regarding a new facility, well, there are times where you have to take a leap of faith and this is one of them. Beard-Eaves is a ****hole of a facility and has been for a LONG time. There has been little to no visible commitment to improving basketball facilities in, well, ever up until now and it does make a difference in recruiting. Whether it should or not is moot.

Give me a break. Look at Florida they are starting 3 Freshman this year who have only high school b-ball experience and they're winning.

We got a bunch of players that can't slow down and just throw up a shot and call it giving it their all. I could do that and they don't even have to give me a scholarship to do it.

Thank you Titan and Rainman, it is nice to know that there are others out there that combat GG's knowledge of all. GG, who would you want to coach the basketball team? I know you could do a better job than everyone but your life is very busy so I don't think you can handle anymore burdens. Auburn needs a new arena and if you don't think it will help the program in the long run then you are a freaking idiot but I already suspected that. Also it looks like Fortner is getting the women's program back to where they have been before, don't the ladies deserve better facilities? I fully expect a cute little comment and I'm sure that will give you a warm fuzzy and make you feel like you really are King of the Internet Hill.

Give me a break. Look at Florida they are starting 3 Freshman this year who have only high school b-ball experience and they're winning.

We got a bunch of players that can't slow down and just throw up a shot and call it giving it their all. I could do that and they don't even have to give me a scholarship to do it.

No, you give me a break. Florida was not and has not been in the mess we've been. They haven't been on probation recently. They started with a higher talent level than Lebo did. They are coming off back to back national titles so the average talent level of their freshmen is going to be a tad higher than someone coming off the Cliff Ellis years and the Killingsworth, Monroe, Curtis backstabbing.

If you honestly think that what we're doing out there is just throwing up shots I question whether you can tell a basketball hoop from a mop bucket.

No, you give me a break. Florida was not and has not been in the mess we've been. They haven't been on probation recently. They started with a higher talent level than Lebo did. They are coming off back to back national titles so the average talent level of their freshmen is going to be a tad higher than someone coming off the Cliff Ellis years and the Killingsworth, Monroe, Curtis backstabbing.

If you honestly think that what we're doing out there is just throwing up shots I question whether you can tell a basketball hoop from a mop bucket.

Not to mention we wax that bunch of " winning Florida freshmen" on Saturday and probably Arkansas' very experienced team last week if we have our full roster.

Shut......up....

Under Lebo...

I thought the exact same thing

Doubt that surprises anyone...

Thank you Titan and Rainman, it is nice to know that there are others out there that combat GG's knowledge of all. GG, who would you want to coach the basketball team? I know you could do a better job than everyone but your life is very busy so I don't think you can handle anymore burdens. Auburn needs a new arena and if you don't think it will help the program in the long run then you are a freaking idiot but I already suspected that. Also it looks like Fortner is getting the women's program back to where they have been before, don't the ladies deserve better facilities? I fully expect a cute little comment and I'm sure that will give you a warm fuzzy and make you feel like you really are King of the Internet Hill.

This is a really, really, really, really dumb argument.

Oh yeah? Well who should be coaching?

It's the same dumb argument people make for staying in bad relationships. What if I can't find anybody any better?. Does it matter? If it isn't working out why keep going just to avoid the uncertainty of change?

Who cares? That's not the point. I contend that it shouldn't take a basketball coach five or six years to build a program. Great coaches make immediate impacts. Two year turnarounds. I certainly couldn't do it because I'm not a basketball coach, but there are bound to be coaches out there who could.

Something is missing there. That's my opinion.

So you're saying Lebo is the basketball equivalent of Mike Shula?

This sounds so, so much like what Bama fans have been saying about their football program for nearly a decade now.

So, Utah should have been awarded a shot at the football MNC in 2004 since they went undefeated?

Just because arguments use similar language doesn't mean they have equal merit.

I guess 9-35 from behind the arc isn't throwing up shots?

Has it occurred to you that you can have a bad night shooting and not just be "throwing up shots?" In general, watching this team, one can see that they are well coached. Much better coached than Ellis' teams for instance. But they are playing a lot of minutes and they are having to scrap against superior depth and talent right now because of the losses of Dollard, Scyla and Barber. We don't have the height or bulk with the latter two gone to bang under the boards so we're naturally going to take more outside shots.

Stats plucked out of the blue don't tell the full story.

It's the same dumb argument people make for staying in bad relationships. What if I can't find anybody any better?. Does it matter? If it isn't working out why keep going just to avoid the uncertainty of change?

Who cares? That's not the point. I contend that it shouldn't take a basketball coach five or six years to build a program. Great coaches make immediate impacts. Two year turnarounds. I certainly couldn't do it because I'm not a basketball coach, but there are bound to be coaches out there who could.

My point is how can Auburn get this great coach if the facilites are going to remain at the current level of crap since you are against it. It isn't a dumb argument, you are all for a new coach why don't you name a coach that you have seen or heard that is that great coach that can make the immediate impact. What I don't understand is people like you that call for a coach to be fired but yet when asked who you think should be the new coach you avoid the question. How do you know it isn't working when Lebo hasn't had a season without something going wrong on the scale that it harms the whole team. I don't think Lebo should be fired for multiple things that he has no immediate control over like players leaving and injuries. No Lebo isn't the basketball version of Shula because Jeff had prior success at a head coaching job therefore he has proven that he can coach...when he has the players.

Guest mtn_tgr

your right something is missing..our 2 leading scorers and only big men...There isn't any coach that could do any better with what Lebo has to deal with. He had us in position where we had a chance to win against arkansas and Florida..The players just couldn't pull it out. Its the coaches job to put the team in a position to win at the end of a game, and the players have to go out and win it, and by that Lebo has done an excellent job.

So you're saying Lebo is the basketball equivalent of Mike Shula?

This sounds so, so much like what Bama fans have been saying about their football program for nearly a decade now.

More like the basketball equivalent of Sly Croom. Last year was our "Liberty Bowl Year" only we were a sniff away from the goal. This year, we've only made a (projected) slide backward due to a bizarre rash of injuries where 70% of last year's post game has just vanished.

So, Utah should have been awarded a shot at the football MNC in 2004 since they went undefeated?

Just because arguments use similar language doesn't mean they have equal merit.

Now, hang on TT, I can see how the state of the AU basketball program somewhat equates to the state that uat football had been in, except that AU basketball has a good coach on the sidelined. The difference being, IMO, that it has been hard for Lebo to recruit big time talent. Look at UF, mediocre program for years, they get a very good coach in gets a great recruiting class or two then all of the sudden they are established as an SEC basketball powerhouse. Mark this, UF will be in the NC hunt next in b-ball, they are once again loaded with young kids. Lebo has had the worst luck with kids leaving, transfering, getting hurt, what ever that not even Shula had to endure at uat.

I am with others, that baring the injuries this year this group would be challenging for the SEC West, crap that might still do it..we can beat Arky (had that game, so close), beat LSU already @ LSU, they can beat uat and MSU. Ole Miss will be the one team that will probably sweep AU from the West. It is likely that AU can split with the others from the west. UK, USC, UGA are beatable, tough to hang with Vandy, UT, or UF. I think AU is close to getting to a competitive point!

I guess 9-35 from behind the arc isn't throwing up shots?

I think I heard commentators on the broadcast of the Arkansas game say this, and I agree... they are having to take so many 3 point shots becausse the players they need for an inside game are all hurt or suspended due to academics. They wouldn't be putting up that many if they didn't have to.

Plus if they had an inside game it opens up perimeter shooting because the defense has to watch the basket more closely and can't hang out by the shooters all night.

Archived