Rules of Basketball

auwallace

Okay, hear me out. I think basketball is an exciting sport that is fun to watch. However it is flawed in a big way. Here's the situation. If a player with the ball is grabbed intentionally during the first 38 minutes of a game the call is an intentional (or worse) foul. If said player is grabbed during the final minutes of the game it is simply a personal foul. A game filled with intricate plays should not be decided by who shoots the best free throws. If it is intentional during the first 38 should it not be intentional during the last few minutes? If i'm wrong and there is a rule for this please let me know.

I'm no expert, but I think they call it a flagrant foul now, so if it is intentional and a hard foul, the call is made for free throws + possession

I'll take a stab at an answer for you from an officials standpoint. From the games I've watched in recent years, rarely is an intentional foul called, unless its in a transition situation and even then it has to be farely "flagrant" to warrant the intentional foul from the officials in this day and age. Unfortunately, you will never see a foul called off the ball that will be called "intentional". I agree with what your saying, cause it sounds to me like you are simply asking for consistency. I have yet to see an intentional foul called all season, but I don't watch as much basketball as I used too, unless Auburn is on. Now, my experience was with high school basketball and the college game is very different. One thing we had in high school, was fouling to stop the clock or "to conserve time" was "according to the rule book" supposed to called an intentional foul. Rarely is it ever called that way because if officials did that, the associations would likely not give them as many (if any) games.

The letter of the rule is not how the game is called. For example: If offensive player goes to the basket with the ball and attempts a shot, and is tapped on the wrist during the shot, technically, its a foul, right? But, officials are taught to have what we call a "patient whistle" meaning, we're going to hold the whistle for just a split second to see how the shot is affected. If the ball goes in, then chances are, they will play through it with no whistle, but if the shot doesn't go, then we'll make the call. Sure they will call the more obvious ones regardless of the results, but on a little bump or just a little arm contact, you will likely not see a whistle is the shot goes in. Does this help?

I'll take a stab at an answer for you from an officials standpoint. From the games I've watched in recent years, rarely is an intentional foul called, unless its in a transition situation and even then it has to be farely "flagrant" to warrant the intentional foul from the officials in this day and age. Unfortunately, you will never see a foul called off the ball that will be called "intentional". I agree with what your saying, cause it sounds to me like you are simply asking for consistency. I have yet to see an intentional foul called all season, but I don't watch as much basketball as I used too, unless Auburn is on. Now, my experience was with high school basketball and the college game is very different. One thing we had in high school, was fouling to stop the clock or "to conserve time" was "according to the rule book" supposed to called an intentional foul. Rarely is it ever called that way because if officials did that, the associations would likely not give them as many (if any) games.

The letter of the rule is not how the game is called. For example: If offensive player goes to the basket with the ball and attempts a shot, and is tapped on the wrist during the shot, technically, its a foul, right? But, officials are taught to have what we call a "patient whistle" meaning, we're going to hold the whistle for just a split second to see how the shot is affected. If the ball goes in, then chances are, they will play through it with no whistle, but if the shot doesn't go, then we'll make the call. Sure they will call the more obvious ones regardless of the results, but on a little bump or just a little arm contact, you will likely not see a whistle is the shot goes in. Does this help?

you make complete sense i just still don't see why bear hugging or grabbing a player is simply considered the same as the unintentional hand check or blocking foul that occured earlier in the game.

My father is a basketball referee at the college level and he states in the final minutes to call it an intentional foul, you have to deliberately not go after the ball. I watched one of his games and he called intentional at the end and the coach asked him about it and just laughed. My dad said to the coach "he didn't even go after the ball coach. I had to make the call." He said to my dad, "Wow, I agree with the call, it is just the first time anyone has ever called it."

The thing you have to remember is that during the last two minutes of a game, they are deliberately fouling, but it's different from the intentional fouls you see during a game. Intentional fouls are when the player does not even go after the ball. Even though in the end it is on purpose, you generally at least go after the ball.

on purpose, intentional, delibrate.........free throws still shouldn't decide the game. Yes i know they are free, but everyone knows they aren't a given. I wish more refs would grow a pair and make the call that your dad made, it might make the game more interesting.

What's funny to me is to hear the coaches and players..and fans, all hollering, "FOUL HIM...FOUL HIM" in the last minute....and when the player runs over and hack-a-shaq's him...it's not intentional.

What's funny to me is to hear the coaches and players..and fans, all hollering, "FOUL HIM...FOUL HIM" in the last minute....and when the player runs over and hack-a-shaq's him...it's not intentional.

I know what you are getting at, but think of it this way:

Throughout a game, you are only allowed 5 fouls (6 in NBA). After 7 team fouls, you send the team to the line. So as an individual and as a team, you don't want to foul. Now say you are defending the point guard. You would love to play all tight on them and go after the ball every play, but you can't because you could be called for a foul so easily for the smallest infraction. Sometimes it is a ticky-tack foul and others you just went for the ball and accidentally got the entire arm. Point is - you still went after the ball.

Now in the final minute when everyone is telling you to foul, yes you are doing it on purpose (and thus intentional), but the foul you are committing is no different than earlier in the game in many scenarios. Technically the player does try to go for a steal if possible (but we all know he is probably actually fouling). It may be more obvious (because it is). You may end up wrapping around him in addition, but you are not deliberately pushing him or anything like that.

You have to remember, Technical fouls are for abusive language and fights and of the same. Intentional fouls are when you deliberately foul someone when it is not necessary. The most obvious case is if there is a break-away steal and instead of trying to block the shot, the defender pushes or hacks the kid from behind. That is what the intentional foul was made for.

update on this topic. anyone see the ending of the georgetown nova game and the ladies rutgers UT game? seems that everyone is upset at the refs for DOING THEIR JOBS AND CALLING FOULS!!!!!! If you can't play by the rules in the last seconds of the game then don't get upset when you lose the game by fouling someone. Again, why do people think that rules only apply in basketball for all but the final minute of the game?

Archived