IU's sampson resigns

kickinwang

wow...just wow.

espn

Indiana, Sampson reach $750,000 settlement to part ways

ESPN.com news services

Updated: February 22, 2008, 10:43 PM ET

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- Indiana basketball coach Kelvin Sampson has agreed to a $750,000 buyout with the school, the university said. Assistant Dan Dakich took over the team as interim head coach.

The deal includes a provision that prevents Sampson from filing suit against the university seeking further damages.

"I have made the very difficult decision to leave my position as head coach of the men's basketball team at Indiana University," Sampson said in a statement. "While I'm saddened that I won't have the opportunity to continue to coach these student-athletes, I feel that it is in the best interest of the program to step aside at this time.

The deal calls for Sampson to be paid $750,000, $550,000 of which is being provided by an anonymous donor, the university said. The remainder will come from athletic department funds. Sampson has agreed he will not file a wrongful termination lawsuit against Indiana.

"I am very sorry to see our relationship with Coach Sampson end this way, but we have to focus on doing what's best for the long-term interests of IU and its men's basketball team," athletic director Rick Greenspan said in a news conference.

The settlement was first reported by ESPN.com's Andy Katz.

Signs of a coaching switch were evident at the team's practice Friday afternoon.

Assistant coach Dan Dakich, who will be named interim coach, directed the workout but was short-handed. Senior captain D.J. White, Armon Bassett, Jordan Crawford, Jamarcus Ellis, DeAndre Thomas and Brandon McGee were not on the court.

The Hoosiers were scheduled to depart for Evanston, Ill., on Saturday for IU's Big Ten game that night at Northwestern.

"They have been playing their hearts out on the court in spite of all the controversy and media attention that has been focused on this issue," Indiana president Michael McRobbie said in a release. "I am grateful to each and every one of them for their perseverance and loyalty to this university."

When asked about the possibility players had threatened not to play if Sampson weren't coaching, White told Indianapolis station WTHR, "I will not say it's not true."

A somber-looking assistant coach Ray McCallum, who will be promoted to assistant head coach, emerged from a meeting with Greenspan at 5:30 p.m. but ignored questions from reporters.

Greenspan met briefly with Sampson on Friday. A few minutes after Greenspan left the coach's office, Sampson was seen with his wife, Karen.

Players, managers, assistant coaches and the coach's son, Kellen Sampson, then gathered in the locker room for what appeared to be a team meeting. The meeting broke up about midday.

Star freshman guard Eric Gordon was on his way to the team's 3:30 p.m. ET practice when he told the AP that players had not been told of any decision regarding Sampson.

Last week, McRobbie set a Friday deadline for Greenspan to give him a recommendation on what to do regarding Sampson's job status, which was cast in doubt after a Feb. 8 NCAA notice of allegations accused Sampson of five major recruiting violations over improper telephone calls to high school players.

Accoring to the school's release Friday, McRobbie approved the resignation agreement.

"I have accepted the resignation of Kelvin Sampson in order to put this matter behind us and allow our basketball season to move forward without these distractions," McRobbie said in the statement.

The NCAA gave Indiana 90 days, under policy, to respond to the allegations. A hearing in front of the NCAA's committee on infractions is scheduled for June 14 in Seattle.

Indiana last week released the NCAA's report that accused Sampson of providing false and misleading information to university and NCAA investigators about the phone calls and failing to promote a high standard of honesty and an atmosphere of compliance in the program.

Sampson is in his second season with the Hoosiers, who are 22-4 and contending for the Big Ten title.

Information from ESPN.com senior writer Andy Katz and The Associated Press was used in this report.

It will take years to realize that they should have never gotten rid of Bobby Knight. Take all of his baggage, but 28 years at the program and a great winner is what they got rid of. They are going through the chairs that Bama has been going through the past 25 years trying to replace the bear, it's not going to happen.

Archived