Slater not off to a good start

Unlike Lebo's travails with the basketball team, Slater's excuses are gone. He hasn't experienced significant injuries, hasn't lost a bunch of people to graduation or the draft, has had sufficient time to recruit his own players, has one of the best facilities in the country...it's put up or shut up time. Getting swept by FSU is ridiculous.

He'd better get a hold on this season quick or he might not finish it out. I have been more than willing to give him the benefit of the doubt in previous seasons but everything is in place for success this year and this is not the way to start.

I agree titan. We have way to much talent to not be any better than we are. Who could we get that could bring this program back to where we are all accustomed?

This guy was such a dissapointing hire to began with, why is anyone surprised. I do not believe he is the right guy by any means. My concern would be that he does just enough to allow th PTB to justify retaining him.

Auburn has a name in baseball; a good name. Great facilities, great fans, can attract great talent. Why we settled for him in the first place is amazing. There is so much coaching talent in baseball it is ridiculous.

I've been on this bandwagon since last season. I'm pro AU in every way and support all things Auburn. But Slater should have been fired last year. We had a great program that won with class and we have fallen very far in a short time.

I can only hope that we reverse what happened last year. We started off so great and took that series from Arizona State. Get the SEC play and got swept the first 3 series and were out of it from that point on. Maybe this will wake them up. If it doesn't, he's had ample opportunity.

I was not too thrilled when Slater was hired either, but I was willing to give the guy a chance. I even stood behind him last year. This year is another story. I agree with everything Titan said. The sweep does not bode well for when the SEC season starts up.

I don't follow AU baseball like you guys, but what do you think has been the problem the past couple of seasons? Is it purely Slater? I know you guys have some solid talent -- Bianucci and Brooks in particular.

Plainsman is absolutely gorgeous and is a great place to take in a game. I would think having that park would do wonders for recruiting. How we're competitive with the mausoleum we have to play in is amazing.

I don't follow AU baseball like you guys, but what do you think has been the problem the past couple of seasons? Is it purely Slater? I know you guys have some solid talent -- Bianucci and Brooks in particular.

Plainsman is absolutely gorgeous and is a great place to take in a game. I would think having that park would do wonders for recruiting. How we're competitive with the mausoleum we have to play in is amazing.

Well, the consensus is that Slater is the problem. It seems he does not know how to properly manage the players and be a leader. He also seems to consistently make some awful in-game decisions.

With the talent we have, if Coach Baird was still managing the team, I have to believe we would have easily made the regionals with these same players and definitely would have been playing for the SEC championship.

Brooks

No longer on the team or enrolled at Auburn unfortunately. Academic casualty.

No way.

That sucks. I remember thinking what a talent he was in his Enterprise days.

Slater is a joke. However, I don't know if he will be gone after this season. We do have BoBo head Jay Jacobs as our AD. LSU or FLorida would have gotten rid of him two years ago, but not Auburn, we'll wait until he runs our baseball program to the ground.

Power, where ya been? Been missing that "can do" attitude.

he's been busy campaigning. He's running for a second term as president of the Anti-auburn campaign.

I don't find myself here very often, but I completely agree with Eyeore in this case. Slater should have been fired 2 years ago, but it appears as if the fans will have to wait until the program has to be re-built from the ground up now.

Plain and simple, Slater sucks. Too bad Jacobs either can't or won't see that.

Archived