AU-Vandy Game Thread

DCWarEagle

I can see it happening, Vandy has nothing to play for they are in the Big Dance. Auburn has everything to play for! I think we come out fired up ready to play, Quan, Frank, and Rasheem go for a double double each! Lucas shoots lights out from behind the ark hitting 4 in the first half. Auburn by 9 82-71! War Damn Eagle.

I can see it happening, Vandy has nothing to play for they are in the Big Dance. Auburn has everything to play for! I think we come out fired up ready to play, Quan, Frank, and Rasheem go for a double double each! Lucas shoots lights out from behind the ark hitting 4 in the first half. Auburn by 9 82-71! War Damn Eagle.

Do you mean 81-72?

And you guys don't think Vandy is playing for a better position in the tournament?

If all that happens well score a lot more than 82 points.

I'm with you autiger311. I get the feeling that these 6 guys that have played every minute all season have run out of gas. I hope I'm wrong. If we don't shoot better than 50%, it won't be a good afternoon for the Tigers.

"Run out of gas" is the laziest excuse I have ever heard. Guys, they just had 5 days off. You guys give waaaaaaaaaay too much credit to playing 6 guys vs 8 guys. You act like they must play / practice like twice as much as the average athlete. They might play in a game more, they might practice a few minutes more every day. But when it comes down to it - every basketball player in the NCAA has been playing/practicing since late October.

Are the former DIAA football players out of gas when they play their playoff games? Because their season starts around the same time and they keep playing through December. There is a reason they give BYEs in football because you do work hard every day for like 2 months, so they give you a week off to rest your legs. But that affects the TEAM. You don't see the QB saying "yea, I'm out of gas - I play every play out there on offense. But the rest of the team is fine, they get to have subs." Noooo, not at all do you hear that foolish talk.

Exhaustion gets to you in two ways:

1) You've been practicing / playing every day for a long period of time (which happens to EVERYBODY, whether there are 6 players or 12 players on a basketball team)

2) You've been playing a lot for the past day or so (like if you are playing every minute of the game or in tournament time when you play every day).

We've been hearing this excuse all year. Well the truth is, the players are fresh at the beginning of the game. Shooting 1 for 14 is not a sign of being tired. It's a sign of not being good (or "on" that day).

What's ironic is when the team does magically win a game, it's not that we were out of gas - it's that the team played well and won one. But when we lose, it's cuz we are out of gas. If Auburn wins today, it's not out of gas. But if we do lose today, we will be out of gas. Riiiiiiight :rolleyes:

I don't think an extra 5 minutes of game time ball for the past 3 months is going to make them run out of gas. Give it up...

93-82 final. Another disappointing season comes to a close.

I really hope Lebo can put something together next season. I still support him and I know we have had a bad run of injuries, ineligibility, etc, but the excuses are getting old.

I agree, next year you have a big crop of young talent coming in. This talent includes the size and depth we have been missing and the talent is superb. If he can't win next year, with Dollard and Syllia back along with the new guys, the seat may be boiling.

I have given Lebo his last excuse plagued season, if he doesn't produce something next year. like an NIT bid or a Winning Season, then I say lets get a new coach, but I am willing to give him one more shot.

Season 09 The No More Excuse Season

Yeah, I am tired of excuses too. Even if they are legitimate, the losing is wearing old on the fanbase. Let's do something next year.

Man, Quan Prowell fouling out with 11+ minutes left to go... man that must be due to running out of gas, right? Or maybe it was the size difference. Or maybe it was because we only play 6 guys.

So without QP, we still played 6 guys for the last 11 minutes and played about the same as we usually did. So I don't want to hear those excuses.

Thanks for the hard work team. But now it's time to look to next year. It's time to look forward to the football season again. Let's root on our brackets and hope next year doesn't have the excuses.

I think next year's team will be about the same since we lose two of our best in Tolbert and Prowell.

Did anyone hear or read the comments by Billy Donovan? Saying he is not confident with his team, nor does he think they will get better next year simply because they are a year older. That he is not excited about them being sophomores? Ouch... I love the honesty.

Alright PChamp, I'm really tired of your whining.

You obviously have no knowledge of basketball beyond 3rd grade church league games you played decades ago. Yes, when players are outmatched, they tend to foul more often because they can't appropriately guard their man (because of the size difference). That's pretty simple.

Also, playing 40 minutes a game (like much of our team has had to do all season) wears down on our players. Are you keeping up? Again, they can't appropriately guard their defenders; they get beat on drives to the baseline and get outsized down low due to injuries.

You said, "I think next year's team will be about the same since we lose two of our best in Tolbert and Prowell."

That honestly sounds like something an eight year old would write. Seriously? We are certainly losing two great players that can shoot, BUT next year we get back Dollard, Vot, and Sylla. We add size, experience, and some darn good players.

I agree that Lebo has one more year to make a statement, and he has surely been bitten by the injury bug more than his share, but the Auburn basketball program needs to see success; at any cost.

Alright PChamp, I'm really tired of your whining.

You obviously have no knowledge of basketball beyond 3rd grade church league games you played decades ago. Yes, when players are outmatched, they tend to foul more often because they can't appropriately guard their man (because of the size difference). That's pretty simple.

Also, playing 40 minutes a game (like much of our team has had to do all season) wears down on our players. Are you keeping up? Again, they can't appropriately guard their defenders; they get beat on drives to the baseline and get outsized down low due to injuries.

You said, "I think next year's team will be about the same since we lose two of our best in Tolbert and Prowell."

That honestly sounds like something an eight year old would write. Seriously? We are certainly losing two great players that can shoot, BUT next year we get back Dollard, Vot, and Sylla. We add size, experience, and some darn good players.

I agree that Lebo has one more year to make a statement, and he has surely been bitten by the injury bug more than his share, but the Auburn basketball program needs to see success; at any cost.

Don't waste your time. If the basketball team won every game next year, he'd complain about Beard-Eaves.

Actually I am the only one that DOESN'T complain about Beard Eaves. Again, I complain about many of the fans that bring up excuses. I don't dog the team for being not good. I can admit we don't have a good program, but I dog the fans - not the players.

And 311... what is your basketball experience? Honestly? I'm not going to try to beat you with internet chat smack. I'm not going to say "well yours is

Kindegarten level." I have more basketball knowledge than you could imagine. Anyways... only 1 player on our team plays remotely close to 40 minutes a game and he doesn't foul out or complain about being tired (Quantez). The rest of the starters play about 32.

Being beat by size is NO excuse for fouling. Not an excuse at all. You don't foul the other team because you are getting beat. You learn how to play defense and how to shut them down. Because if you continue to foul, then you will foul out. And with only 7 players, that isn't smart to do. So I seriously doubt Lebo said "FOUL!! GO OUT THERE AND FOUL OR I WILL BENCH YOU!!"

I play rec ball with my coworkers and I am by far the smallest guy on the court (I'm 5'7 and 145). Last week I had the duty, due to defensive strategy, to guard the tallest (he is about 6'4 and lanky, thus not biggest/strongest) player. He is good at offensive rebounds and putting the shot back up. I shut him down because I could box him out. He would try to post on me, but I played good defense and I not once had to foul him or play dirty. Sometimes I have to guard stronger players that will post on me that aren't as tall (more like 5'9 / 5'10, but are physically strong) and I play great defense. Once in a while they will get a nice shot off and score, but it's not often. I play superb defense because I force the offense to make the play. That is how you play defense. That is how you play basketball without excuses.

And you just brought up the WORST argument. How do you lose two seniors and say "we are bringing in more experience." Dollard has some experience. Vot as some experience. OK, we just lost two seniors and gain two guys that used to play. So I wouldn't say we are bringing in more experience. Hargrove is the only experience that will come next year that wasn't there to have "experience" to start the season. Just because you have more players, doesn't mean you have more experience. Yikes...

Actually I am the only one that DOESN'T complain about Beard Eaves. Again, I complain about many of the fans that bring up excuses. I don't dog the team for being not good. I can admit we don't have a good program, but I dog the fans - not the players.

And 311... what is your basketball experience? Honestly? I'm not going to try to beat you with internet chat smack. I'm not going to say "well yours is

Kindegarten level." I have more basketball knowledge than you could imagine. Anyways... only 1 player on our team plays remotely close to 40 minutes a game and he doesn't foul out or complain about being tired (Quantez). The rest of the starters play about 32.

Being beat by size is NO excuse for fouling. Not an excuse at all. You don't foul the other team because you are getting beat. You learn how to play defense and how to shut them down. Because if you continue to foul, then you will foul out. And with only 7 players, that isn't smart to do. So I seriously doubt Lebo said "FOUL!! GO OUT THERE AND FOUL OR I WILL BENCH YOU!!"

I play rec ball with my coworkers and I am by far the smallest guy on the court (I'm 5'7 and 145). Last week I had the duty, due to defensive strategy, to guard the tallest (he is about 6'4 and lanky, thus not biggest/strongest) player. He is good at offensive rebounds and putting the shot back up. I shut him down because I could box him out. He would try to post on me, but I played good defense and I not once had to foul him or play dirty. Sometimes I have to guard stronger players that will post on me that aren't as tall (more like 5'9 / 5'10, but are physically strong) and I play great defense. Once in a while they will get a nice shot off and score, but it's not often. I play superb defense because I force the offense to make the play. That is how you play defense. That is how you play basketball without excuses.

And you just brought up the WORST argument. How do you lose two seniors and say "we are bringing in more experience." Dollard has some experience. Vot as some experience. OK, we just lost two seniors and gain two guys that used to play. So I wouldn't say we are bringing in more experience. Hargrove is the only experience that will come next year that wasn't there to have "experience" to start the season. Just because you have more players, doesn't mean you have more experience. Yikes...

You truly have no idea what you are talking about. I'd like to have a reasonable debate with you, but you choose NOT to see the reality of the situation. For that, I'll let you wallow in your delusion that you know it "Isn't a big deal to lose those players," or it "Isn't a big deal to play 6 players/game." When you are ready to accept a different opinion, and maybe open yourself to learn a little something, I'd be happy to debate you. 'Til then, blow all the hot air you want.

Debate how being "smaller" or having "less players" means you have the right to foul, or that it is necessary to stay in the ball game.

Debate that... I'd love it. Oh wait, you prolly never played a dribble of basketball.

And you act like I think having 6 / 7 players has no effect at all. I never said that it didn't. I just think it's funny that the excuse is by all the fans. There are other players on the team. Lebo chose not to play them. There is a reason you have "backups" on the team. Perhaps they chose to use them for practice, but geez - if there are only 7 players on the team, clearly it takes 10 to practice. I'd think 10 would know the game plan by now. Guess not...

And clearly you didn't read what I wrote. I was the one that said it was not a benefit to lose players. As in, it isn't good. I think losing our two seniors will hurt. Do I need to repeat that?

I'd totally dominate you on the court. If we played to 21, I'd beat you by 19. The only reason you'd score 2 is because I'd have to take a break and console your momma because she was crying so hard out of embarrassment for you. I'd beat you like you walked up in my house and stole something. There wouldn't be anything superb about it, it would be utter domination.

Great... internet smack... well my dad is bigger than your dad! So there!!

Please kid... you don't wanna mess with me on the court. I made a statement that I would play anyone anytime here in the Atlanta area. So put up or shutup

Please kid... you don't wanna mess with me on the court. I made a statement that I would play anyone anytime here in the Atlanta area. So put up or shutup

Wooooooosh!!!

Did you hear that? That was the sound of you missing the point.

I love it when sarcasm is mis-read.

Wooooooosh!!!

Did you hear that? That was the sound of you missing the point.

I love it when sarcasm is mis-read.

Actually I didn't hear anything, except a brush of wind from that aiiiiiiiiiiiiir ball...

Archived