Needed. Toshiba satellite A-105 chassis.

CCTAU

My son's laptop seems to work other than the fact that it's beat to hell and back. After a tour in Iraq, the screen is busted. But everything else seems to work. I just need a chassis to move all of the good stuff over to so I can send it to him to use in Afghanistan. Anybody know of a good place to look for dead laptops.

My son's laptop seems to work other than the fact that it's beat to hell and back. After a tour in Iraq, the screen is busted. But everything else seems to work. I just need a chassis to move all of the good stuff over to so I can send it to him to use in Afghanistan. Anybody know of a good place to look for dead laptops.

I've been looking on eBay for a cheap laptop and I see a lot of one advertised as broken or not working to be used for repairs. I haven't been specifically looking at Toshibas, but you might look and see what's out there.

I've been looking on eBay for a cheap laptop and I see a lot of one advertised as broken or not working to be used for repairs. I haven't been specifically looking at Toshibas, but you might look and see what's out there.

I've been looking. I got some old IBM T22 chassis. But the Toshiba A105 is bigger. This one has a DVD writer and internal wireless, so I would like to keep that. If you run across one, send the ad please.

Craigslist Atlanta has some good cheap laptops.

I've been looking. I got some old IBM T22 chassis. But the Toshiba A105 is bigger. This one has a DVD writer and internal wireless, so I would like to keep that. If you run across one, send the ad please.

Craigslist Atlanta has some good cheap laptops.

If you are comfortable with it (and it is a pain), you may be able to search ebay for the screen's part number and find it pretty reasonable. The installation can be a major pain in the butt, but you would be able to keep all of the components. It would probably be cheaper and easier to find, but definitely not easier to set up.

I may be able to help. WE take in all kinds of old laptops at the store that customers don't want to pay us to fix. I have probably repaired a hundred laptops, from replacing the lcd screens to even replacing the motherboards or soldering a DC jack. It can be costly for a customer and that's why they normally don't want us to repair them. I may have a toshiba chassis at the store. I know I have at least one but ironically my wife wants us to rebuild it for a friend that lost everything in katrina. I'm pretty sure I have another one, so let me check monday and see what I have. We are in the process of moving the store, so you never know what may come up. lol.

If not, ebay is a great source for laptop parts. There is even a store called laptopparts.com that we've done business with in the past. Might look at their site and see if they have what you need. Meanwhile, I'll take a look through our stash and see what we've got.

I appreciate all of the tips. I'm pretty good at putting together a desktop, but laptops use to scare me. I have done some research and I think as long as I can find a 15.4 inch Toshiba screen, I can swap it out. Just got to remember to keep the dust out. I have a couple on Ebay that I am watching right now. Hopefully I can get one of them for under $40. I think Toshiba only uses 4 screws to hold it in. Any tips on that would be nice.

I appreciate all of the tips. I'm pretty good at putting together a desktop, but laptops use to scare me. I have done some research and I think as long as I can find a 15.4 inch Toshiba screen, I can swap it out. Just got to remember to keep the dust out. I have a couple on Ebay that I am watching right now. Hopefully I can get one of them for under $40. I think Toshiba only uses 4 screws to hold it in. Any tips on that would be nice.

Be careful, that is the best tip. Most LCD's I have replaced have to have the case "cracked". This means you need a precision screwdriver or something about that size and you will have to break apart the front and back plastic cover of the screen to replace the screen itself. When you do this, be very careful and don't use a lot of force. If you get lucky and get the entire kit assembled, you won't have that problem. Also, pay careful attention to which screw came out of which hole and which cable was connected to which port on the motherboard. Some laptops are notorious for having three or four types of screws that look similar, but are slightly different. I would suggest to get a piece of paper, draw a circle and put groups of screws together in the circle with a description of where they came from.

Also, expect to have a screw left over...it happens almost every time if you have to take enough of them out of the laptop.

First there are usually 4-6 screws in the LCD bezel. Once they are removed the bezel just "unsnaps" BUT, usually at the bottom, they put double sided tape for a little extra security so it requires a little extra pressure to separate the front of the bezel from the screen. Now you also need to remember there is a narrow card at the bottom of the LCD called an inverter. The inverter is a bridge between the laptop motherboard and the lcd screen and the lcd cable plugs into the back of the LCD and into the inverter AND into the motherboard. Let me look at the chassis at work tomorrow and see, but there is a chance that you'll have to remove the keyboard to get to the place where the LCD cable plugs into the motherboard. Some are easy and right near the top, OTHERS are more complex and are routed under the motherboard. Now you have that out of the way, the screen is held in place by hinges that hold the screen and provide the ability to open the lid. They MAY or may not have to be completely removed to disconnect the hinges to remove the LCD. You may also only have to pull 3-4 screws on either side of the LCD to lift it out of the bezel. It just depends. I'll take a look at the carcass that my wife is taking and let you know, cause we have that same model and I'm hoping we can get another carcass to help.

Archived