Frank Thomas

...looks like he is back after a tough past few seasons.

He just hit a grand slam against my Red Sox to break a 2-2 tie.

sounds like you need to pick a new team.

go astros. ;)

:au:

sounds like you need to pick a new team.

goastros Orioles. ;)

:au:

Fixed that for you :thumbsup:

Yeah, I need to pick a new team seeing how mine has sucked so bad that last few years. :rolleyes:

eThere is no other team for my to pick. I continued to be a Red Sox fan after the near miss of the 80s, I stayed a Red Sox fan in the lean times of the 90s, and I will continue to stay a Red Sox fan even if we never play another postseason game. I would rather be the fan of a pitiful Red Sox team then a fan of a Yankees dynasty.

I do feel sorry for Braves fans. They could have been the fans of one of the biggest dynasties ever in baseball if they had a coach that knew how to manage when it was all on the line.

Come on, Ranger, we know you're really a Yankees fan. :)

Come on, Ranger, we know you're really a Yankees fan. :)

Try never to insult such an intelligent individual as Ranger12 again.

The man likes his water dirty.

yesterday, Thomas struck out 4 times. It was only the 2nd time he's struck out 4 times and the first since 1990. The last time he struck out 4 times was the 14th game of his career. Not too shabby.

I used to like you Jonathan. <_<

It's okay, because he knows he is really a Cubs fan at heart.

:roflol::roflol:

Let's tap the breaks there. But, I'd sit next to you guys at Wrigley and buy you a beer.

• 2 weeks later...

wow, this topic took a nose dive quick.

Big Hurt Released

The Frank Thomas era in Toronto has come to an end.

TSN has learned that the 39-year old designed hitter has been released by the Blue Jays, one day after being benched as the teams' starting designated hitter.

Thomas was batting .167 in 16 games, with three homers and 11 RBI this season.

When told of his benching yesterday, the Big Hurt said it was an attempt by the club to limit his at bats in order to make sure he didn't get the 304 plate appearances required to guarantee his $10-million option for next season.

The vesting option was part of the $18.12-million, two-year deal he signed with the Blue Jays in November 2006.

On Saturday, general manager J.P. Ricciardi denied that Thomas' contract factored into the decision to bench the 19-year veteran.

"I think the decision is the manager's based on what he thinks is best for the team," said Ricciardi. "As a team we're struggling offensively and I just think Gibby is trying to spark our offence a little bit.

"A lot of guys are struggling, I don't think (Thomas) is alone. I think at this point you try and do what you can do to help the club and Gibby's trying to put our best possible lineup on the field."

With Thomas being released, the Jays could recall prospect Adam Lind, who is currently hitting .360 with 3 home runs in 14 games at Triple-A.

Thomas has 516 homers and a lifetime batting average of .302 during a career that will likely land him in the Hall of Fame.

Yeah, I was just about to post that same info. Somebody will probably pick him up, but he may have to start back in AAA and work his way back up to the MLB roster.

Man I just saw it and came on here to see it - you guys just beat me.

Anyways, I'm a BIG Frank Thomas fan. He's always been my favorite as a fan, back since 1991. For me, it was a little ironic for me to go to the school of my favorite baseball player. I still recall the day I was so greedy, I had to steal his 1990 Leaf Rookie Card (buddy was rich and that card was worth like $100, $100 I didn't have - still have it today and he never noticed).

Does he not want to play First Base? He was pretty good with the White Sox and then they replaced him with Paul Konerko. Anyways, I wish he would find a NL team that needed a First Basemen. I'd love to see him when he would visit Atlanta or Cincinnati. My two favorite athletes of my childhood - Michael Jordan and Frank Thomas I have never seen play in person. Sad :(

Archived