Bama's basketball program imploding?

TitanTiger

All in the course of a few weeks:

Hendrix decides to enter NBA draft

Pickett gets suspended, then decides to transfer

Justin Tubbs decides to transfer

Ronald Steele decides to enter NBA draft

There was even some talk that guard Mikhail Torrence was thinking about bolting as well, though it seems that might have either been rumor or he changed his mind. Now, I understand that Hendrix and Steele might be back since they aren't going to hire agents, but is this the death knell for Gottfried at Alabama? And if all four go in one fell swoop like this, how long will it take the program to recover?

All in the course of a few weeks:

Hendrix decides to enter NBA draft

Pickett gets suspended, then decides to transfer

Justin Tubbs decides to transfer

Ronald Steele decides to enter NBA draft

There was even some talk that guard Mikhail Torrence was thinking about bolting as well, though it seems that might have either been rumor or he changed his mind. Now, I understand that Hendrix and Steele might be back since they aren't going to hire agents, but is this the death knell for Gottfried at Alabama? And if all four go in one fell swoop like this, how long will it take the program to recover?

So Got-fired is getting the Lebo treatment? B)

He has had some success there with the elite 8 a few years ago. What have you done for me lately refers to Football at Bama. As long as they have winning seasons and mediocrity I think he's not going anywhere. After all who would want to coach Bball at Bama.

Now, I understand that Hendrix and Steele might be back since they aren't going to hire agents, but is this the death knell for Gottfried at Alabama?

If there is any justice in the world.

Why it's taken Alabama fans this long to see through Gottfried's ineptitude is beyond belief. The dude couldn't coach his way out of a wet paper sack.

Well, to provide the grain of salt...

Pickett said he was leaving because he didn't get enough playing time. As a true freshman, he started 21 games and averaged 20 mins a game...and he wasn't very good at his job. Additionally, he was suspended twice for not going to class. He didn't like that.

Tubbs isn't an SEC caliber player. He needed to leave.

Steele isn't going pro. He just wanted to get in the pre-draft camps so he could show the guys that his knee is in good shape.

Now, I don't like CMG. But some of this needs to be put in perspective.

Well, to provide the grain of salt...

Pickett said he was leaving because he didn't get enough playing time. As a true freshman, he started 21 games and averaged 20 mins a game...and he wasn't very good at his job. Additionally, he was suspended twice for not going to class. He didn't like that.

Tubbs isn't an SEC caliber player. He needed to leave.

Steele isn't going pro. He just wanted to get in the pre-draft camps so he could show the guys that his knee is in good shape.

Now, I don't like CMG. But some of this needs to be put in perspective.

To say Steele isn't going pro, is putting your head in the sand. If he just wanted to show the "guys" that his knee was in shape, he would do that over the course of next year. If he hears the right words from these "guys", he will go pro. Now I don't think he will because he has been out of ball for a full year.

I've never figured out this love affair with Steele. He's a 6'1" guard with decent stats (15.9 ppg in 05-06) when he's not injured. Hobbled by an ankle injury in 06-07 and averaged 8.6 ppg. And he's injured a LOT. 6'1" guards had better be something special and durable to play in the NBA.

To say Steele isn't going pro, is putting your head in the sand. If he just wanted to show the "guys" that his knee was in shape, he would do that over the course of next year. If he hears the right words from these "guys", he will go pro. Now I don't think he will because he has been out of ball for a full year.

Sure, he's not going to turn it down if he's first round. But if you look at the draft projects (especially when guys like Rose and CDR come out), there's NO WAY hes a first rounder with the questions about his knee.

But declaring gets him in the pre-draft camps. And that's what this is all about.

I've never figured out this love affair with Steele. He's a 6'1" guard with decent stats (15.9 ppg in 05-06) when he's not injured. Hobbled by an ankle injury in 06-07 and averaged 8.6 ppg. And he's injured a LOT. 6'1" guards had better be something special and durable to play in the NBA.

Michael Jordan and NBA scouts disagree with you.

Jordan was 6-6 when he left NC a year early in 1984.

He averaged 17.7 ppg, 5 rpg, shot 54%, and 44.7% from behind the arc, averaged 30 min. per game.

Steele is no Jordan...not even close.

He averaged 17.7 ppg, 5 rpg, shot 54%, and 44.7% from behind the arc, averaged 30 min. per game.

I'll make any bet you want. Sig bet, case o beer bet, whatever...that if Steele stays healthy this next year...he goes in the first round.

Before he got hurt, everybody and their mother had him as one of the top 3 point guards in the nation. Mock NBA drafts, analysts, everybody.

His SOPH year he averaged 38 mins a game, 4.6 RPG, 14.3 PPG, shot 41% from 3, and 5 APG. Also shot 89% from the FT line. And none of that stat line shows how he is in the clutch, how he runs the floor, and his bball IQ.

DURABLE? Injury aside, the guy has been AMAZINGLY durable. He averaged 38.4 mins a game in 05-06. He started 31 of 31 games in 06, 32 of 32 games in 05 as a freshman...and put in 34 mins per game.

So aside from ONE YEAR where he played through a major injury...how has he been injured "a lot"?

"Amazingly durable"????? WTF? He's spent half his COLLEGE career either hobbled by injuries or completely out of action. Amazingly durable?

Let's see how that translates to the NBA and an 82 game schedule on top of an exhibition season.

"Amazingly durable"????? WTF? He's spent half his COLLEGE career either hobbled by injuries or completely out of action. Amazingly durable?

Let's see how that translates to the NBA and an 82 game schedule on top of an exhibition season.

He was hobbled one season by an injury that could have been healed properly had his WHOLE TEAM not depended on him.

I don't think the statistics from his playing time in his other two seasons are that confusing.

I'll make any bet you want. Sig bet, case o beer bet, whatever...that if Steele stays healthy this next year...he goes in the first round.

Before he got hurt, everybody and their mother had him as one of the top 3 point guards in the nation. Mock NBA drafts, analysts, everybody.

His SOPH year he averaged 38 mins a game, 4.6 RPG, 14.3 PPG, shot 41% from 3, and 5 APG. Also shot 89% from the FT line. And none of that stat line shows how he is in the clutch, how he runs the floor, and his bball IQ.

DURABLE? Injury aside, the guy has been AMAZINGLY durable. He averaged 38.4 mins a game in 05-06. He started 31 of 31 games in 06, 32 of 32 games in 05 as a freshman...and put in 34 mins per game.

So aside from ONE YEAR where he played through a major injury...how has he been injured "a lot"?

I never said he had been hurt a lot or questioned his durablility or his IQ or his mother's eye color. My remark was in response to your MJ statement. Steele at 6-1 averaging 9 ppg, and shooting 42% is no where near MJ's 6-6, 17.7 ppg and 54% shooting.

I never said he had been hurt a lot or questioned his durablility or his IQ or his mother's eye color. My remark was in response to your MJ statement. Steele at 6-1 averaging 9 ppg, and shooting 42% is no where near MJ's 6-6, 17.7 ppg and 54% shooting.

I said not according to MJ. I never said he compared to MJ. The year before he hurt his ankle, Ronald was playing in an all star summer tournament. He spent some time working out and playing ball with Jordan...who had seen every elite PG in the country play...and he said Steele was the best pure point in the country.

And the durability retort was aimed at another poster...sorry I should have quoted that instead of lumping it with my response to you.

Archived