Tigers Win Game 1 @ UAT

Tigers had 5 run on 12 hits and 1 error. UAT had 4 runs on 10 hits and 2 errors.

Fletcher went 1-3 with a HR and 3 RBI. Mummey was 2-5 while Morris, Hargett and Cunningham all went 2-4.

Fletcher's Three-Run Blast Fuel's Auburn's 5-4 Win Over Alabama On Friday Night

Woodall earns 10th save of the season

April 25, 2008

Final Stats

http://auburntigers.cstv.com/sports/m-base...-2008/au43.html

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. -

Box Score in PDF Format

Brian Fletcher's opposite field three-run home run put Auburn up by a run in what turned out to be a four-run sixth inning for Auburn, who defeated Alabama, 5-4, on Friday night in Tuscaloosa. The victory was just the second win for Auburn on a Friday night in Tuscaloosa since 1992 but the second in its last three tries.

Grant Dayton earned the win for Auburn to move to 6-1 on the year, allowing three runs on seven hits in 5.0 innings, striking out six, two off of his career high. The redshirt-freshman has now won his last five decisions.

"It was tough, they battled, we battled; we had to make some great plays," Dayton said. "They are all good hitters. I did get some strikeouts, but they were hitting the change-up, which had been my out-pitch."

Dayton got three strikeouts in the first inning but it was a pair of pitches that cost him a run as Josh Rutledge tripled to lead off the inning and then scored on a wild pitch, giving Auburn a 1-0 lead.

Alabama threatened to break open the game in the fourth, loading the bases on a flair single to right, an infield single and a hit batter but Alabama centerfield Alex Kubal laid down a bunt and ran into the ball, getting called out for interference to end the inning.

Auburn finally got on the board in the fifth as Ryan Jenkins' (1-for-3) two-out, RBI single knotted the game at 1-1, scoring Fletcher (2-for-3, BB, 2 R, 3 RBI), who had walked to lead off the inning and went to third when David Cunningham (3-for-4, 2B, R) smoked a ball past Alabama second baseman Ross Wilson to the outfield.

Alabama took a 3-1 lead on Alex Avila's two-run single with the bases loaded and none out in the bottom of the fifth but Dayton coaxed a popout to right, his sixth strikeout of the night and a groundout to second to end the threat before turning it over to the bullpen.

Auburn then answered with a four-run top of the sixth, highlighted by Fletcher's three-run home run, a shot over the wall in right. Hunter Morris (2-for-4, BB, R) drew a one-out walk and then Joseph Sanders (1-for-4, R) doubled, bringing Fletcher to the plate. The homer was the fifth of the season for the freshman. Cunningham and Mat Hall (1-for-4) kept the inning going with back-to-back singles, knocking Alabama starter Miers Quigley (4-4) out of the game. Justin Hargett (2-for-4, RBI) then greeted Will Stroup with a RBI single that made it 5-3 Auburn.

"We had runners in scoring position so I saw an opportunity to drive in some runs," Fletcher said. "He gave me a pitch over the plate that I could handle and it just carried out for me."

Bryan Woodall earned his 10th save of the season by throwing the final 2.0 innings, entering in the eighth with a runner on second and none down but getting out of the inning unscathed. Alabama would get the tying run to first twice in the ninth but Matt Bentley fouled out to Fletcher down the leftfield line to end the game.

"Grant pitched a great game and then our hitters came out in the sixth and put up some runs for us, and then the bullpen did a good job of holding it," Woodall said.

Morris extended his SEC-only hitting streak to eight games with a two-out single in the top of the fourth.

With the win, Auburn moves to 24-19, 8-11 SEC and is now tied with Alabama (23-21, 8-11) in the SEC standings.

The two teams will play game two at 3pm CT on Saturday. Fr. LHP Cory Luckie (4-4, 4.23) will be opposed by Jr. RHP Austin Hyatt (3-3, 4.85). The game will air on FSN as a part of the SEC Game of the Week.

http://auburntigers.cstv.com/sports/m-base.../042508aaa.html

Tigers had 5 run on 12 hits and 1 error. UAT had 4 runs on 10 hits and 2 errors.

Fletcher went 1-3 with a HR and 3 RBI. Mummey was 2-5 while Morris, Hargett and Cunningham all went 2-4.

Flether was 2-3 BTW. Also had a BB and 2 R, but I think it says that in the article posted.

Phillip Marshall's article indicates that AU'winners out hit the T'losers 14-10.

http://blog.al.com/trackingtigers/2008/04/...with_54_vi.html

Tigers strike first with 5-4 victory over Alabama

Posted by Phillip Marshall, The Huntsville Times April 25, 2008 11:40 PM

Categories: Baseball

There were numerous Auburn baseball heroes in Friday's 5-4 win over Alabama at Sewell-Thomas Stadium in Tuscaloosa on Friday night. Auburn struck first in the three-game series. The second game is set for today at 3 p.m.

* There was freshman left fielder Brian Fletcher, who hit a three-run homer in the sixth inning to give Auburn the lead for good and made a terrific catch on flyball in foul territory to end the game in the bottom of the ninth.

* There was starting pitcher Grant Dayton, who gave up three runs on seven hits in five innings to move his record to 5-1 in the SEC and 6-1 overall.

* There was closer Bryan Woodall, who gave up a run in the ninth but held the Tide at bay in the final two innings for his 10th save.

* There was freshman second-baseman Justin Hargett, who greeted Alabama reliever Will Stroup with a run-scoring single that upped Auburn's lead to 5-3 in the sixth.

* There was Evan Crawford, who pitched a scoreless seventh and there was Michael Hurst, who pitched a scoreless sixth.

All in all, it was a good night for the Tigers, who improved to 24-19 overall and 8-11 in the SEC and moved into a second-place tie with Alabama. LSU is fourth, pecentage points ahead of Arkansas in fifth. A lot could and probably will change before the weekend is over.

Only three players in Auburn's lineup had ever played against Alabama before Friday night. Dayton, from Bob Jones High School in Madison, had been waiting eagerly for that chance.

Dayton said the in-state rivalry made this one different than any other.

"I'll be honest," Dayton said. "I was a little nervous. I knew there were a bunch of people I know watching. It was a lot of fun. There's not any other way to put it. You can't take any of them lightly. We didn't. As a team, I think we played great."

Alabama led 3-1 after five innings, but the Tigers bats got going in the sixth. Hunter Morris walked, Joseph Sanders doubled and Fletcher hit his home run.

"I was looking for an opportunity to drive in some runs and give us a chance," Fletcher said. " He threw me a pitch out over the plate that I could handle. It just carried for me. He threw me a pitch out over the plate that I could handle. It just carried for me."

David Cunningham and Matt Hall followed with singles, chasing Alabama starter Meirs Quigley. Hargett greeted reliever Will Stroup with a run-scoring single.

Alabama coach Jim Wells, who missed Alabama's two mid-week games to be with his ailing mother in Louisiana, returned home Friday afternoon and was in normal spot Friday night.

"She's hanging in there, good enough for me to come tonight," Wells said. He said she had been released from intensive care and the prognosis is positive.

Auburn outhit the Tide 14-10. Each team made one error. Fletcher , Trent Mummey, Cunningham and Morris had two hits apiece for Auburn. Freshman shortstop Josh Rutledge had three hits, including a triple and a double. Ross Wilson and Avila had two hits apiece.

NOTES OF INTEREST

* Bianucci seemed to break out of a slump last Sunday at Vanderbilt, but now he seems back in it. Batting second in the order, he was 0-for-5 with two strikeouts Friday night.

* Morris, who suffered a bruised side chasing a foul popup against Samford last Tuesday, was the designated hitter Friday. It was the first game this season in which he did not start at first base. Joseph Sanders started in his place.

* Quigley took the loss for Alabama and fell to 4-4 on the season. In his career, he has had 11 SEC starts. He is 0-10 with one no-decision in a game which the Tide lost.

'* Freshman Alabama shortstop Josh Rutledge led off the game with a triple, then added a single and a double before Woodall finally got him out in the eighth inning.

Here are the SEC West standings going into Saturday's games:

1. Ole Miss 11-8

2. Auburn 8-11

2. Alabama 8-11

4. LSU 7-11-1

5. Arkansas 7-11

6. Mississippi State 5-14

Here are the overall standings:

1. Georgia 15-3-1

2. Ole Miss 11-8

2. South Carolina 11-8

4. Vanderbilt 11-7

5. Florida 10-9

5. Tennessee 10-9

7. Kentucky 9-10

8. Auburn 8-11

8. Alabama 8-11

10. LSU 7-11-1

11. Arkansas 7-11

12. Mississippi State 5-14

* Every team but Mississippi State is in the hunt to get to the eight-team SEC Tournament. Even the Bulldogs aren't totally out of it. Kentucky, Florida and Tennessee are threatening to put their postseason futures in doubt. The Wildcats lead Auburn and Alabama by just one game in the overall standings and Tennessee and Florida lead by just two.

Wow, the SEC is pretty average this year. If any teams makes ito Omaha I will be shocked. It would be nice for Auburn to sweep Bama since they haven't swept a conference team yet.

Archived