who will be Auburns next baseball coach?

I've not done any research on possible replacement coaches, but would like to hear some names of possible candidates.

During Slater's head coaching years we are last in the SEC. I did not know that.

http://www.oanow.com/oan/sports/college/ar...s_future/13418/

By The Numbers

A look at all 12 SEC schools and their conference records over the last four season. In parenthesis, the number of times a school has made the SEC tournament from 2005-07.

Vanderbilt 66-50 (2)

Alabama 66-51 (3)

Ole Miss 65-52 (3)

Arkansas 62-54 (3)

USC 61-56 (3)

Georgia 60-55-1 (1)

Florida 59-58 (2)

LSU 58-57-2 (2)

Kentucky 54-61-1 (1)

Tennessee 53-60 (2)

MSU 47-66 (2)

Auburn 43-74 (0)

My Top 5:

Mark Calvi, South Carolina Pitching/Ast. Coach

Chad Holbrook, North Carolina Ast. Coach

Jason Eller, UGA Ast. Coach

Greg Bergeron, Cal State Fullerton Ast. Coach

Mike Martin, Jr., FSU Ast. Coach

During Slater's head coaching years we are last in the SEC. I did not know that.

http://www.oanow.com/oan/sports/college/ar...s_future/13418/

By The Numbers

A look at all 12 SEC schools and their conference records over the last four season. In parenthesis, the number of times a school has made the SEC tournament from 2005-07.

Vanderbilt 66-50 (2)

Alabama 66-51 (3)

Ole Miss 65-52 (3)

Arkansas 62-54 (3)

USC 61-56 (3)

Georgia 60-55-1 (1)

Florida 59-58 (2)

LSU 58-57-2 (2)

Kentucky 54-61-1 (1)

Tennessee 53-60 (2)

MSU 47-66 (2)

Auburn 43-74 (0)

That is an absolutely shameful record and there should be no hesitation in making a change.

Talk on the radio around town is that Slater's time is very short. Heard it on several stations throughout the day.

I have heard talk around town that the decision to fire Slater has already been made and it is a done deal. I don't know how accurate that talk is, but it is what I heard a couple of times yesterday.

The local sports talk show in Montgomery is trying to push QV Lowe's name (head coach at AUM). He is in his 60's, but has a proven winning record at AUM. They mention some sort of tension between him and Hal Baird though, anyone know the story on that?

I have also heard interest in Troy's coach....you know Auburn's farm system to the south.

Bobby Pierce is a great coach. He has a great track record at the Div II level with UAH and now with Troy. But I'm not sure he's as proven at this level. Charles Henderson's HS has a former asst of his and began competing for state championships in just a couple of years.

Bobby Pierce is a great coach. He has a great track record at the Div II level with UAH and now with Troy. But I'm not sure he's as proven at this level. Charles Henderson's HS has a former asst of his and began competing for state championships in just a couple of years.

Hmmm. Hiring someone with a good coaching history? Hmmmmm. Interesting concept. They may want to try that this time. Who knows? It might work.

I hope it's a proven guy if it's a HC!!!! This (Slater) should never happen at Auburn again!

I have heard talk around town that the decision to fire Slater has already been made and it is a done deal. I don't know how accurate that talk is, but it is what I heard a couple of times yesterday.

There needs to be no delay on this. Monday morning after the season is complete. Jacobs needs to send a message that he is serious about improving this program. There does not need to be a sit down evaluation. The evaluation is the past 4 years under Salter. His record speaks for itself. In fact he should have been working on a list of names. Not contacting them, but be ready to start on this process next week. If Jacobs hesitates on this issue, then his tenure at AU should be done.

I just went to the AU website to check out the schedule for tonight. The AU baseball schedule shows the season ending on June 25, 2008 in the last game of the CWS. Do you think this may be a bit optimistic? If our season ends "as scheduled" I think Slater deserves another year. :)

I just went to the AU website to check out the schedule for tonight. The AU baseball schedule shows the season ending on June 25, 2008 in the last game of the CWS. Do you think this may be a bit optimistic? If our season ends "as scheduled" I think Slater deserves another year. :)

If that is when we play our last game, I will eat my hat pay Slater's salary from my own pocket.

Sports Call seems to believe that Slater will return. They gave the old he has had bad luck with injuries to Burnside and Luckie, his team is young with tremendous potential, he has another great recruiting class coming next year, etc. excuses for Coach Slater. And that if they don't make the SEC Tourney and NCAA's next year he should be gone. He has 1 remaining year on his contract and so on. I don't know. He has finished in 9th place or worse in the SEC every year, has the worst SEC record in those 4 years, and the team is usually out of realistic contention to go to Hoover before the end of April every year.

I heard it too! I don't think he deserves another chance. He has shown nothing in the way of progress over the last four years.

I heard it too! I don't think he deserves another chance. He has shown nothing in the way of progress over the last four years.

If he is back next year, I am giving no support to this baseball program. If Auburn chooses to have a losing baseball program, then that's their choice, but I am not going to support a program that continually choosing to be the worst in the SEC. If the Auburn nation had a backside, they would voice their displeasure with how Jay Jacobs has run the Athletic Department to the president.

If he is back next year it will be a statement from the admin. that they couldn't care less about having a winning baseball program.

Who cares if he has a year left. If you let him serve that year out, recruits will look at him as a lame duck coach just serving out his last year. Unless you want a down year in recruiting, cut him now and bring in a coach to bring some excitement to the program.

Please note, I was a Slater supporter until it became evident this year that it was more of the same.

Is it just me or do we seem to be plagued by injuries more so than many other teams?

I think at the minimum our strength and conditioning coach has got to go ;)

If he is back next year, I am giving no support to this baseball program. If Auburn chooses to have a losing baseball program, then that's their choice, but I am not going to support a program that continually choosing to be the worst in the SEC. If the Auburn nation had a backside, they would voice their displeasure with how Jay Jacobs has run the Athletic Department to the president.

Cn you list a few bad things Jacobs has done supported by facts and not opinion. And don't throw out the Marsh or Muschamp stuff because there are two sides to both those situations.

Back to the topic at hand...

Brett Boretti, head baseball coach Columbia, young up and coming guy, took one of the WORST programs in the country to NCAA tournament in 3 years (2 recruiting years), also has organized donation records and tremendous facilities upgrades. Detailed oriented around the whole program.

Archived