The two rumored top candidates

I am not happy if Lowe is really one of the top 2. I don't think he is the right man for the job, though he could probably do much better then Slater. Yes, I will say it, I think Lowe's age hinders his chances. However, not because I think he is too old to get the job done, but because we need somebody that, if successful, will be there for the long run, not possibly retiring in a couple of years.

I support Casey Dunn as a candidate. Instead of Lowe, I sure would have rather seen Bobby Pierce as that second candidate.

Report: Dunn, Lowe on AU’s list

School looks for baseball coach

By Ross Dellenger

Sports Writer

The Auburn athletic department would like to have a head baseball coach in place by the middle of June, a source familiar with the program said Monday.

The source said an internal deadline of June 10-15 has been set to have a replacement for Tom Slater, who agreed to resign Saturday after the team missed the postseason for the third straight year under his reign. Auburn made the NCAA tournament in 2005 without playing in the SEC tournament.

On a day when Auburn athletics director Jay Jacobs remained quiet and baseball players were not allowed to speak with reporters, two in-state names surfaced as possible replacements to Slater. Samford coach Casey Dunn and Auburn-Montgomery coach Q.V. Lowe are gradually gaining sentiment, sources said.

Jacobs did not return multiple phone messages left for him Monday morning, and Dunn did not respond to an e-mail and a phone message left for him later in the day.

According to an Auburn spokesman, Hartselle High grad and starting second baseman Justin Hargett and Decatur High grad and designated hitter Ben Jones “declined interview requests at this time.”

But when contacted Monday, Hargett and Jones both said they were specifically told by an Auburn official not to do interviews. Hargett did say that he plans to return to Auburn for his sophomore season.

Auburn has hired the search and management consultant firm of Carr Sports Associates Inc. to help find a coach.

Auburn hired Carr Sports in 2004 to find an athletics director before ultimately hiring Jacobs from within the athletic department. The firm also conducted a study in 1998 to help the Troy football program move from Division 1-AA to Division 1-A.

Bill Carr, one of the firm’s associates, confirmed that the firm is already working with Auburn on finding a new baseball coach. “We work with schools to help them identify and evaluate candidates,” Carr said, before referring all question to Jacobs.

According to its Web site, the firm provides assistance in all phases of a coaching search: structuring the search, conducting on-site analysis of the athletics program, creating the “Ideal Candidate” profile, identifying, evaluating and interviewing candidates, and negotiating the terms of the contract.

Slater’s resignation came Saturday, minutes after a home loss to LSU, cementing the Bayou Bengals’ series sweep of Auburn. With Thursday’s series-opening loss to LSU, Auburn was eliminated from the SEC tournament for the fifth straight season — the last four coming under Slater.

Slater’s four-year stint with the Tigers included one appearance in the postseason. He led Auburn to an NCAA Regional in 2005, his first season, where the Tigers finished as regional runner-ups to host Florida State.

Auburn’s new coach will be its fourth in the past eight years. Hal Baird ended his 16-year tenure in 2000.

His replacement, Steve Renfroe, resigned in 2004, opening the door for Slater, who never had a winning SEC record in four years.

The door now stands open for another. In 2005, just his second year at Samford, Dunn transformed the Bulldogs from a cellar-dweller to Ohio Valley Conference champions.

Samford (33-21, 19-7) is playing in the Ohio Valley Conference Tournament on Thursday as the No. 2 seed. A graduate of Auburn and a catcher on the baseball team, the 31-year-old Dunn spent three years coaching Spain Park High’s baseball program.

His teams won two Jefferson County titles and a co-region championship and earned two state playoff appearances.

The 63-year-old Lowe is a bit of a stretch because of his age, but he’s another Auburn graduate and former Tiger baseball player.

Lowe built Auburn-Montgomery’s baseball program from scratch in 1986.

Since then, the Senators have won 40 or more games 11 times, including this past season when AUM won the Southern State Athletic Conference Tournament, and an NAIA regional tournament, finishing 14th in the national NAIA poll.

link

Why do we hire an outside source to come in and suggest possible candidates? That just sounds like our Athletic Department isn't capable of searching for a coach. Hmm....

Why do we hire an outside source to come in and suggest possible candidates? That just sounds like our Athletic Department isn't capable of searching for a coach. Hmm....

Pierce...Pierce...Pierce. Do not take any chances. This guy can coach. He's proven. You know what you're getting with him. He's a winner and he will come if they offer.

A lot of schools hire outside sources to come in and suggest

UGA did it for Richt

UF did it for Meyer

ND did it for Weis

Texas did it for Mack Brown

OU did it for Stoops

LSU did it for Miles & Saban

Not many people know that and maybe the schools had their eyes already on coaches but these groups/agencies can contact the coaches without being official

Pierce...Pierce...Pierce. Do not take any chances. This guy can coach. He's proven. You know what you're getting with him. He's a winner and he will come if they offer.

He is actually my first choice also. He has even kind of hinted he would take the job if ever offered. Casey is my second choice, so if he got the job, I would be real happy with also.

I do understand that many school do hire consulting firms to help with the search, but in this case do we really need that? I would think our AD department should be able to make a short list with Pierce, Dunn, Kittrell, and Lowe. Of those four, Kittrell may be the only one that might actually turn the job down since he has been at USA for so long.

It should have been Q.V. Lowe when Slater was hired. He's done a damn good job with AUM. He's a good fundamentals coach and has wanted to come to Auburn forever. I'd be happy with any of the others mentioned as well, but don't be downing Lowe.

I want someone who can get us to Bham and beyond. Dunn I like, Pierce is another one I like. Lowe is a good one as well, but I don't think Kittrell would leave USA after all he's put into that program. Plus, that's his school as well.

It wouldn't hurt my feelings if they found someone outside the state, as long as they have the credentials.

It should have been Q.V. Lowe when Slater was hired. He's done a damn good job with AUM. He's a good fundamentals coach and has wanted to come to Auburn forever. I'd be happy with any of the others mentioned as well, but don't be downing Lowe.

Don't get me wrong Titan. I am not doubting Lowe's abilities by any means. I am just afraid at his age, he may not be there long. I don't want to be going through another coaching search again in 3-4 years.

I threw Kittrell's name out there just because he should be on the list, but like I said, and agree with autigeremt, I doubt he would leave USA at this point in his career. He has way too much blood, sweat, and tears invested in that program.

Boy, you guys can't say anything about Texas always coming to get your coaches. Why don't you stay out of Troy's cabinet?

Boy, you guys can't say anything about Texas always coming to get your coaches. Why don't you stay out of Troy's cabinet?

Nothing wrong with being promoted from Troy to Auburn, not a lateral move to Texas. You know, kind of like how it was okay for Franchione to get promoted to Texas A&M, but not okay for Dubose to make the lateral move to Luverne High School.

Troy made the decision to go D-1. But, one thing you gotta' do if you want to keep good coaches at that level is pay them. Blakeney stated very matter of fact, if it wasn't Auburn, someone was hiring Franklin away. He was gone.

Nothing wrong with being promoted from Troy to Auburn, not a lateral move to Texas. You know, kind of like how it was okay for Franchione to get promoted to Texas A&M, but not okay for Dubose to make the lateral move to Luverne High School.

Not everyone would see that as a promotion, and Texas is certainly not a lateral move, but why are you discussing football on baseball site? Baseball not that great in Auburn, but I can certainly understand ya'll wanting a Bama guy anyway you can get him.

Not everyone would see that as a promotion, and Texas is certainly not a lateral move, but why are you discussing football on baseball site? Baseball not that great in Auburn, but I can certainly understand ya'll wanting a Bama guy anyway you can get him.

Oh good God!!! Bama My Heart, stay out of our biz. if you are going to come in here and stir up trouble. Nobody asked you! You will be looking for a football coach in a year or two, and NO, you can't have Tubberville. :roflol:

Although I think Pierce is a good coach...my number 1 choice is Casey Dunn. I watched the AU/ Samford game in bham and mentioned to my dad then that if slater doesn't get to bham he is gone and I want Casey. I was told then that they were already looking at casey hard and wanted to use the game in auburn to look at him some more.

Oh good God!!! Bama My Heart, stay out of our biz. if you are going to come in here and stir up trouble. Nobody asked you! You will be looking for a football coach in a year or two, and NO, you can't have Tubberville. :roflol:

I can promise you that is one coach that we would NEVER want. When Auburn fans stay out of our biz then maybe we wouldn't feel the need to be in yours.

Bama My Heart, take the smack talk to the woodshed and stop derailing threads with your crap.

Why would they if the coach is successful and has connections to the State?

If UGA needed a baseball coach and the one at Georgia Southern was a great one, I wouldn't have any problem with hiring him

AND

I suspect you wouldn't either needing a baseball coach

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

I can promise you that is one coach that we would NEVER want.

Too much integrity for you, I guess....wouldn't be willing to let the REC run the show.

When Auburn fans stay out of our biz then maybe we wouldn't feel the need to be in yours.

Who's on who's forum here, loser? Exactly how are we in uat's business? uat is an after thought until one of you come in and derail a thread like you've done here. uat is nothing more than a wart on the butt of america.

Now back on topic after the BMH idiocy....

Not all that familiar with Pierce but from what I hear he would be a good choice. My first choice would be Casey Dunn. He's worked his way up and would be a good fit for Auburn.

Who brought up Texas, which is where our football coaches moved. Since you brought it up, I threw it back at you. However, now that I think about it, Luverne may have been a promotion too, so I retract my earlier statement.

Not all that familiar with Pierce but from what I hear he would be a good choice. My first choice would be Casey Dunn. He's worked his way up and would be a good fit for Auburn.

You guys take everything so seriously, and are such big babies. If other schools come in and try to take your coaches you are the first to start complaining and say that they should search elsewhere. Personally I don't care if Troy's coach goes to Auburn or not. If he feels that it would be a good choice for him....then please go. I was only teasing you guys, but everytime someone comes on this board and doesn't say in each sentence how great Auburn is, and has the nerve to say something good about another school you guys get upset, and in typical playground behavior start calling names. Please grow up.

You guys take everything so seriously, and are such big babies. If other schools come in and try to take your coaches you are the first to start complaining and say that they should search elsewhere. Personally I don't care if Troy's coach goes to Auburn or not. If he feels that it would be a good choice for him....then please go. I was only teasing you guys, but everytime someone comes on this board and doesn't say in each sentence how great Auburn is, and has the nerve to say something good about another school you guys get upset, and in typical playground behavior start calling names. Please grow up.

need to look in the mirror bmh. Who derailed this thread and discussion with their ridiculous insights?

need to look in the mirror bmh. Who derailed this thread and discussion with their ridiculous insights?

I swear it was not to start a riot. I just wanted to kid ya'll about going after other school's coaches, and the fact that would be twice for Troy. It was not to ridicule your entire program or university, so get over it.

Archived