ESPNs NFL Sunday team

Ranger12

Did anybody hear the "apologies" this morning? They were all now saying that they aplogize for not saying anything about it, but in the same breath admit they did not catch it at first. Wouldn't you think such a "blatant" racist comment as the rest of the media made it out to be, would have stuck out immediatly? Sounds like to me that it did not come across as racist to them until the media got all over them about it for not saying anything and now they want to save face. Chris Berman even orginally stated he did not think it was meant to be malicious, but now says it "kicks himself for not catching it". Read the article and if you have a highspeed connection, listen to their apology on ESPN motion and tell me if you think they were being two faced. They said they were never told to be quiet, but seems they did not have a problem with it until the media and PC police started on them and then all of a sudden they have a problem with it. Look, I am not saying that Rush was right for what he said I and there are parts I could agree with and disagree with. I can understand his meaning behind it, but his word choice was very poor. However, I think to call his remarks racist or calling him a racist is when it goes too far. The same ones that call him racist are always quick to tell people not to judge others are stereotype them. Yet, they are quick to judge others that do not agree with them. Rush made a statement that was not made in good judgement, but if you go back to his history of supporting minorities in some very influential political positions, he has been very passionate about that. It angers me that the ones calling him racist choose to ignore that fact. They pick and choose the facts that suit their needs.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1631106

I can't believe Tom Jackson saying that "it wasn't our decision" to put Rush on the show. Well, it was somebody's decision, wasn't it? :huh: To me, that sort of comment doesn't make this situation any better, just worse.

Yeah, he did clarify though that Rush was hired to offer a fan's opinion. He was informed that he needed to keep the politics out of it. He needed to say, McNabb is overrated. Then, move on. Seeing as how the staff at ESPN is 50% african american, I felt that their reaction was a good reflection of how Rush's comments have made them all feel. He put his fellow staff in an awkward position and things couldn't ever be made normal again.

Rush just went too far.

Yeah but ill bet no one will make mention of Deion Sanders comment on CBS pregame show this morning where he said Kordell STewart is taking a beating worse than Rodney king.

And if you DON'T think there is a racial double standard in journalism...let a WHITE guy say that.

Yeah but ill bet no one will make mention of Deion Sanders comment on CBS pregame show this morning where he said Kordell STewart is taking a beating worse than Rodney king.

And if you DON'T think there is a racial double standard in journalism...let a WHITE guy say that.

He said that?! WOW!!!

"Personally, I think the only reason we like Tre Smith is because we want to see a white halfback suceed." If a black man says this, are you offended (pretend you are an Auburn fan)? :huh:

We don't have the right to be offended. We're white. We're evil. All the world's wrongs are because of white folks. Everyone but us can make racial statements. In fact, everyone else can be blatantly racist. We cannot even broach the subject of race unless we're apologizing for something our great-great-great grandfather's did. Otherwise, we're racists too.

:nopity: :cry3: Let me get my rain boots 'cause it's gonna flood in here with all of the tears you guys are shedding!!! You poor things act like the most put-upon little fellas in America. It's just hell to be a white guy in the USA, isn't it?

No one said it's hell to be a white guy, TigerAl. Why does it seem like you never give a straight answer when someone asks a really tough question? You don't address the issue raised, you just go straight to the wise cracks. I'm not saying you're the only one that does it, but it gets a little irritating nonetheless.

I detest racism. I have jumped all down certain people's throats around here for it. I hate to play the "some of my best friends throughout my life have been black" card, but it's true. All my friends growing up were black because that's who was my age in my neighborhood. That's who I went to school with. I played football and basketball until it was dark most days with them. I spent the night at their house and them at mine. I still have friends (though not as many) that I love spending time with...having them over, going out to eat, etc. If my daughter wants to marry a black guy one day, I'm all for it as long as he's a mature Christian, he's a responsible person and he loves my daughter and treats her well. I'm not speaking as someone who is isolated from any one other than WASPy types.

And I do realize that there are still vestiges of racism in society. I contend that there always will be because unless you can somehow eradicate being an idiot, there will always be those who judge people that way.

The thing I brought up, albeit in a very sarcastic manner, is that either we can discuss race, or it's out of bounds. Either we can make statements about other races that could be construed as "stereotyping", or we can't. It's not right to wink at it when a black or Hispanic person does it, but go ballistic when a white guy dares weigh in on the subject. And pointing to a "history of oppression" doesn't cut it. If we're going to realize the dream that Dr. King had for our nation, we can't have the double standard.

Personally, I think everyone is way too sensitive about this stuff and we all need to back off on the "getting offended" scale. I don't think the solution is to get harder and more strict on what people can say. Race issues need to be discussed more openly and with greater ease and jumping down people's throats at every perceived hint of "racism" doesn't accomplish that. It makes people nervous. Everyone has to walk on eggshells for fear of some emotional weakling getting their feelings hurt. In this particular situation, people should be cool-headed enough to understand Rush's comments, while bringing race into the discussion, were not racist. But there are dozens of lesser known scenarios that happen everyday where people are having to over-think every word they say because everyone is so damn sensitive. Race relations won't improve until we get to a place where we stop taking offense at the drop of a hat. You gotta give people some grace and a little benefit of the doubt and you've got to have a little more personal emotional fortitude so your psyche isn't wounded at every word uttered on the subject.

Again, Rush was called a racist for a remark that was not negative about any race. Yet his history of supporting minorities in political positions seems to get ignored from the ones crying foul about his remark. Yes, that is a double standard.

A rumor circulated this weekend that the ESPN produces told Rush to heat it up a little because he has not said anything contreversial yet. Then today, on Rush's show, he finally admitted he was told that his "essays need to be edgier". That got what the asked for. They wanted Rush on that show to cause a stir every now and then, but they bit off more then they could chew with good ole Rush. Rush also said he was never told to not bring politics into the show and really did not plan to out of respect for the rest of the staff, but when he was told that his essays needed more edge, he did just that. Like I said earlier, nobody paid much attention to the remark until CNN made a big deal about it. And then a breaking story from the National Enquirer is treated like the gosped from the media. Next thing you know, the press will think that Hannity is an alien he is breeding with humans to make the human race extinct. :rolleyes:

Tiger Al explain to me how this can be said by a black guy but not a white guy.

What about Dusty Baker's comments this summer about how black guys and hispanic guys are better adapted to play in the heat because they were from hot countries and had dark skin? What if Joe Torre had said that? The Yanks would have a new manager, that's for sure.

The double standard is a crack - like someone said earlier, at this point in our sociaety, one should be able to DISCUSS issues of race openly, intelligently and honestly without being called a racist.

If you can't even raise a question, how can you ever hope to find a solution???

If you are looking for the non mainstream media (read "non liberal") view of the situation, www.rushlimbaugh.com has links to well written articles, and also clips from all of the ESPN shows, including the one in question (listening to Michael Irvin agree with Rush (bet you didn't hear that from your liberal local newspaper) is worth the time).

:nopity: :cry3: Let me get my rain boots 'cause it's gonna flood in here with all of the tears you guys are shedding!!! You poor things act like the most put-upon little fellas in America. It's just hell to be a white guy in the USA, isn't it?

Go ahead and play your violin. But there a lot of VERY compassionate conservative white guys out here who are tired of getting pissed on for being complaccent and nice about race relations when they are the ones who are always having to appologize. Josea (very racist but since he was black its OK) Williams used to get on the radio and beg black folks to stand together for their rights. If a white man did that, he would automatically be KLAN, even if he had never even entertained the thought. I, as a middle-aged white male, just want equality. If that means giving up my rights to supposedly get it for others, BITE ME. I am not less nor more than any man. Therefore I will never feel bad about being white. More importantly, I am honest, hard-working, and fair to all pepole who are fair to me. There are many like me. We are tired of the race card being used as an excuse to get what people want and not what they work for. Gifts are NEVER appreciated. and the Rush Limbaugh thing is another example of appologizing for NOTHING because he happened to be WHITE!

:nopity:    :cry3:   Let me get my rain boots 'cause it's gonna flood in here with all of the tears you guys are shedding!!! You poor things act like the most put-upon little fellas in America. It's just hell to be a white guy in the USA, isn't it?

Go ahead and play your violin. But there a lot of VERY compassionate conservative white guys out here who are tired of getting pissed on for being complaccent and nice about race relations when they are the ones who are always having to appologize. Josea (very racist but since he was black its OK) Williams used to get on the radio and beg black folks to stand together for their rights. If a white man did that, he would automatically be KLAN, even if he had never even entertained the thought. I, as a middle-aged white male, just want equality. If that means giving up my rights to supposedly get it for others, BITE ME. I am not less nor more than any man. Therefore I will never feel bad about being white. More importantly, I am honest, hard-working, and fair to all pepole who are fair to me. There are many like me. We are tired of the race card being used as an excuse to get what people want and not what they work for. Gifts are NEVER appreciated. and the Rush Limbaugh thing is another example of appologizing for NOTHING because he happened to be WHITE!

Ditto!!!

Archived