"Fickle" fans?

WarTim

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll not be like some "little birdies" here and repeat what's already been stated. On to my theory.

To avoid OC bashing, first and foremost we need knowledgable football fans who truly understand the game. They must understand the struggles on the field and have a clue why these struggles take place. New coordinators, new systems, no established leader on "O", players at new positions, etc., etc. are examples. Even if you've never stepped foot on the field before, think and act with class and please remember the struggles and why they exist. At least try. Coach Tubb's has pointed to this year for some time now and I expect 10 wins. However, should we fall short I will continue to yell WDE to the top of my lungs! Prior to placing blame I will look at circumstances and understand.

As for what constitutes a job well done by our new OC? This is a tough one. Just ask Bob Petrino. I think he was a very good OC, but look at his early season struggles or better yet, look at the teams struggles to pick up the schemes of the new system. It's not easy. Again I say patience and understanding are needed. To our new OC, good luck and WDE!!!

Coach Tubs pointed to last year for a while too. Pre-season he said this team was as talented as the Miami teams he coached on . .

results not excuses . .

Maybe so Chuck, but he also spoke at many Auburn functions prior to the season and in each he cautioned against the hype. He knew the potential struggles. He was right.

As for the talent, minus one DB I say we were as talented on defense as Miami. No question. On offense, we did not have a leader at QB like Miami.

I'll not be like some "little birdies" here and repeat what's already been stated. On to my theory.

To avoid OC bashing, first and foremost we need knowledgable football fans who truly understand the game. They must understand the struggles on the field and have a clue why these struggles take place. New coordinators, new systems, no established leader on "O", players at new positions, etc., etc. are examples. Even if you've never stepped foot on the field before, think and act with class and please remember the struggles and why they exist. At least try. Coach Tubb's has pointed to this year for some time now and I expect 10 wins. However, should we fall short I will continue to yell WDE to the top of my lungs! Prior to placing blame I will look at circumstances and understand.

As for what constitutes a job well done by our new OC? This is a tough one. Just ask Bob Petrino. I think he was a very good OC, but look at his early season struggles or better yet, look at the teams struggles to pick up the schemes of the new system. It's not easy. Again I say patience and understanding are needed. To our new OC, good luck and WDE!!!

XP14.........You have hit the nail on the head. Too bad that "patience & understanding" are not often found from the "fan" base......... :D

You are 100% correct. We need to support the team and the staff come Hell or High water!

WAR EAGLE ! ! ! ! ! ! :au:

As for the talent, minus one DB I say we were as talented on defense as Miami. No question. On offense, we did not have a leader at QB like Miami.

What??? Leader at QB, Brock Berlin??? The guy was benched halfway during the season for his poor performances. I guess that on the field experience of yours failed you.

Were did you say you played??? Yea, I thought so.

:ph34r:

WarTim - what you don't understand is that folks who complain about CTT or his coaches is that we still support Auburn. We still go to games, buy Auburn products, give money to the school, and cheer on our school.

However, as with everything I am a part of, I don't accept mediocrity. Maybe you are different, maybe you are happy with mediocrity, and that's fine, you are entitled to your opinion, but belittleing everyone who doesn't feel this way is both childish and foolish.

I think most everyone is aware of the fantastic things CTT has done for our program. Some (such as the talent build up until 2003) is fantastic, some (such as keeping us off probation and our players out of the negative news) is EXPECTED. What concerns us is that up until this point, everything has been uphill. CTT came in, won more games, and recruitied well. When his Coordinators got stagnant, he made two FANTASTIC hires (which he was forced to do), and we were still happy.

However, he then made a horrible, lazy, put myself and my coaches ABOVE Auburn decision. AND THAT IS NOT ACCEPTABLE. He is paid $1.5 million dollars to put AUBURN first, not a friendship to drinking buddies like Nall and Emsinger. Then, this class is significantly below his par. It is DOWNWARD from the norm. THAT is also not acceptable.

Granted, CTT could do nothing about SACS - not his fault, but jetgate was a result of his ineptitude in making a rational decision, and you reap what you sow.

IF CTT can make a good hire with this OC, and we see results (no blow outs, diverse offense, use of resources) then I will be happy with him again. If he comes back and signs another Top 10 class in 2005, I will be happy again, but as long as I see the downward trend I saw last year and in 2004's recruiting, I will be concerned, and I will voice this concern.

Tell me, other than your typical response "WE ARE AUBURN," what did you see on the field last year that could give you ANY prayer of beating UGA or LSU next year? Are you content being on the same level of Ole Miss and Arkansas.

I sure as heck am not. I want better things for Auburn . .

Check my earlier posts, say, for the past 6 months. This bird has been singing the SAME tune. ;)

"explayer14", I don't think that PS2 experience counts towards defining yourself as a former player. <_<

I think it's pretty laughable for to join this board and say that the fans/supporters/alumni who are dissatisfied with CTT's coaching performance, don't know what their talking about because they have never stepped out on a D1 field. Tubby never did until he coached at Miami. Start answering some questions, stop making assinine/condisending posts and maybe members might actually buy into the idea of Brock Berlin as the type of "leader" that AU needs for the team. :lol::lol::lol:

:au:

WarTim - what you don't understand is that folks who complain about CTT or his coaches is that we still support Auburn. We still go to games, buy Auburn products, give money to the school, and cheer on our school.

However, as with everything I am a part of, I don't accept mediocrity. Maybe you are different, maybe you are happy with mediocrity, and that's fine, you are entitled to your opinion, but belittleing everyone who doesn't feel this way is both childish and foolish.

I think most everyone is aware of the fantastic things CTT has done for our program. Some (such as the talent build up until 2003) is fantastic, some (such as keeping us off probation and our players out of the negative news) is EXPECTED. What concerns us is that up until this point, everything has been uphill. CTT came in, won more games, and recruitied well. When his Coordinators got stagnant, he made two FANTASTIC hires (which he was forced to do), and we were still happy.

However, he then made a horrible, lazy, put myself and my coaches ABOVE Auburn decision. AND THAT IS NOT ACCEPTABLE. He is paid $1.5 million dollars to put AUBURN first, not a friendship to drinking buddies like Nall and Emsinger. Then, this class is significantly below his par. It is DOWNWARD from the norm. THAT is also not acceptable.

Granted, CTT could do nothing about SACS - not his fault, but jetgate was a result of his ineptitude in making a rational decision, and you reap what you sow.

IF CTT can make a good hire with this OC, and we see results (no blow outs, diverse offense, use of resources) then I will be happy with him again. If he comes back and signs another Top 10 class in 2005, I will be happy again, but as long as I see the downward trend I saw last year and in 2004's recruiting, I will be concerned, and I will voice this concern.

Tell me, other than your typical response "WE ARE AUBURN," what did you see on the field last year that could give you ANY prayer of beating UGA or LSU next year? Are you content being on the same level of Ole Miss and Arkansas.

I sure as heck am not. I want better things for Auburn . .

Chuck-

You make some salient points, that most reasonable people would comprehend. Unfortunately your well written response to what you feel is lacking in the AU FOOTBALL program will fall on deaf ears. WarTim will most like respond in the following manner:

1. Are you from $PUAT???

2. Death to all Crimson

3. 28-23

4. 17-7

5. They sky is falling!

Or some ill conceived variation of the above standard canned responses.

Raven, if you would have read Chucks post prior to mine you would have noticed we were discussing Miami's talent during Tubb's tenure there. You should quit babbling and read! As for my PS2 ability, I've never played the game. As for where I played, I've never mentioned it. Don't need to, don't intend to. It's insignificant here. What matters is I understand what's happening and why. You on the other hand, well, I think you know that answer. Finally, there was nothing condiscending in my post. It was factual and it was a request. If it offends you it does so for a good reason. Think about it!

Chuck, if you know Coach T you know he did not move Coach Nall to the OC because of loyalty. He did so for stability. The move failed miserably and he's correcting that. As for recruiting, Auburn has had maybe one top 10 recruiting class in the last 40 years! To expect that from Coach T is wishful thinking. Can it be done? Yes. Will it? Probably not. Never has happened, probably never will. Chuck there is nothing wrong with hoping for better times at Auburn. However, those hopes should be realistic. Auburn has never been a dynasty. That point seems lost here at times. With regards for beating LSU and Georgia, I think we can win both games. I think the key is JC. If he becomes a leader I think it will happen!

WDE!!!

Maybe so Chuck, but he also spoke at many Auburn functions prior to the season and in each he cautioned against the hype. He knew the potential struggles. He was right.

A couple of points;

1. Sure tubs said he was worried that expectations were too lofty. Too many people were expecting a 0, 1, or 2 loss season. I don't think he was in any way anticipating a 7-5 season that included 4 very embarrassing losses and make that 5 if you, like me, consider any home loss to ole missus embarrassing(eli or no eli). You make it sound like tubs expected what happened to occur. He was simply warning about OVERLY lofty expectations. No way did he truly expect the disaster of last year to be nearly as bad as it was, imo.

2. I noticed that you are a big tubs supporter and thats great. I really like tubs as a person and am anticipating some continued growth in coaching abilities in the extremely near future from him. I also notice that you are quick to repeatedly point out jc's shortcomings at qb and how they cost the team. What a messed up thing you are doing imo. jc had a bad first year and then showed tremendous growth under petrino. Enter tubs to install nall at oc. What a horrible mistake that was. This is evidenced by the fact that nall lasted a grand total of one year and probably shouldn't have lasted that long. JC is not a world beater but is a good qb who needs a competent oc to flourish. Tubs did not provide that for him. My point is, praise tubs and put down jc all you want, looks to me like you're just playing favorites. I feel very good about jc's leadership ability this upcoming year with a competent oc. Heres to hoping tubs makes the right choice this time. If he does he'll be 2 for 4 in oc choices. Hmmm, 4 oc's over 5 going on six years........

BTW since you have decided to label yourself EXPLAYER14 and hint around that you have d1 experience why not just come out and tell us all who you are and where you played. Are you an ex AU player at least?

Finally, there was nothing condiscending in my post. It was factual and it was a request. If it offends you it does so for a good reason. Think about it!

So referring to posters as "little birdies" isn't condiscending?????????????????

T88, I am trying to remember 4/5 embarassing losses last year. I can't. Scal was the #1 team in AP and losing to them was not an embarassment. LSU was the #1 team in the BCS and losing to them is not an embarassment. Ga. Tech was probably my biggest disapointment, but I have my opinions on why it happened and I hope, man I hope certain changes eliminate those problems. The Ga. game actually was respectable until JC threw a ridiculous pass on the goal line. The game went from very close to out of hand quick! The previously mentioned problems crept up again. I don't like losing to Ole Miss, but I don't think it was embarrassing. They were decent.

By the way, I'm not a Tubb's supporter. I am a coach supporter and feel I understand circumstances last year that caused the aforementioned problems.

I'm definitely not bashing JC either. I've never said he cost the team, although he certainly contributed.

As for the Nall mistake, I agree totally. Give Coach T credit as he is changing that. Yes!

With regards to playing D1 ball, don't mistake my comments for the little birdies.

WDE!!!

Actually T88, I think Raven refers to him/herself (?) as the little birdy. I simply repeated as much.

I am an Auburn supporter from the deepest part of my heart and spirit. Have been for many years. When times have been tough financially for my wife (AU grad) and me, we still found a way to contribute to Auburn. Now that we are retired and quite comfortable, we are able to give more.

Football is great, but it is not the be-all, end-all for a school. Many studies have shown that the kind of students that you really want do not make their school choice based on gridiron prowess.

Still, there are few things I like better than to go to campus, stroll around reliving memories and taking in a rousing football game. I want the best for Auburn.

I support the Tigers and Tuberville fully. I have faith in him. Unless that faith turns out in the future to be misplaced, I will hang in with him over the rough patches. Heaven knows we've had a spate of them lately.

I fully realize that the Nall thing was a mistake, believed it as soon as it was done, before we had played a game. Now we're going to fix it. If he does as well as he did when he replaced Mazzone, we will be in good shape.

All I ask for is steady improvement. Not necessarily every year, but as an overall trend. If you look at the Dow Jones averages over the years it's a jagged sawtooth line, ups and downs, but the base bias is always trending upwards. We need the same. Due to recent events, this year MUST be an improvement.

As tolerant and supportive as I am, I will not settle for 7-5/8-5 every year. Things have got to be better than that.

When Dye was coach, we had shots at the brass ring more than once. Things just didn't quite fall into place, but the chances were there.

That's all I ask of Tubs, to put us in position to have a shot if a few things go right. It can't be every year, but the strength of recruiting and the foundation of the team has to be such that each new season starts with that possibility. I believe he can do it. If he can't, then we move on.

We will see where the trend line is the next two years.

explayer - how can you say Auburn can't have a top 10 recruiting class - CTT has already had a Top 10 class, 2002. So don't tell me it can't be done - he has proven its possible. Again, CTT has done some GREAT things for Auburn, but please explain this to me . . how is bringing in 2 Offensive Coordinators, both with conflicting styles, to run someone elses offense, helping stability?

Embarassing losses . .are you kidding me???? Losing to USC, UGA and LSU by themselves are not embarassing. Losing in the manner which we did is INEXCUSABLE. That's 14 points in 3 GAMES!!!!! That's HORRIBLE!! UGA WAS NEVER CLOSE. MAYBE IF NALL HADN'T CALLED AN EMPTY BACKFIELD SHOTGUN PASS ON THE UGA 5 FU$#$@#G YARD LINE CAMPBELL WOULDN'T HAVE THROW A PICK!!!! That may have been teh stupidest call of the whole season!!!!!

I can accept the Ole Miss game so much more just because we put up a fight. Georgia Tech was pathetic . .3 POINTS . .AGAINST GEORGIA TECH . .ARE YOU KIDDING ME. HOW IS THAT NOT EMBARASSING!!??!?!?!?!?

Loyalty is a strong, solid characteristic. I want loyalty in my wife, family, friends, co-workers, employees, bosses, players, etc . .but what I don't want is my coach putting loyalty to his friends over that of Auburn in professional situations. Please explain how hiring a high school wide receivers coach to a preseason Top 10 NCAA D1A College Football team is anythign but that. Not to mention Emfsinger failed at Texas A&M as OC. They players flat out gave up on him he was so horrible!

I'm sorry, until we are at an ELITE level, I expect improvement EVERY year. It doesn't have to be drastic, but we went SEVERELY down hill this year, and that is unacceptable. Gradual up and down change is for the Ole Misses of the world . .

Tubby, I support you because you are Auburn's head coach, you are trying to make changes, and that's great - but that is the ONLY reason I support you. Fail us again, and I'll be back on your case in the offseason. You guys can call it fickle, I call it dedication to what is best for my University.

Not to mention Emfsinger failed at Texas A&M as OC. They players flat out gave up on him he was so horrible!

He failed at the high school level also. At Central High in Baton Rouge, his teams were constantly at the 6-4 range every year clearly not a dominant team, and eventually quit. Then as QB/OC at West Monroe he tried to bring his spread offense to a option team and that failed miserably. And West Monroe Lost to Evangel in the State Championship game.

I tried to tell yall that Emsinger would either turn JC into a All-SEC QB or run him into the ground.

Guest AuNuma1
However, as with everything I am a part of, I don't accept mediocrity.  Maybe you are different, maybe you are happy with mediocrity, and that's fine, you are entitled to your opinion, but belittleing everyone who doesn't feel this way is both childish and foolish.

Excellent point that countless people have made which, unfortunately, will probably never get across. hmm.gif

However, as with everything I am a part of, I don't accept mediocrity.  Maybe you are different, maybe you are happy with mediocrity, and that's fine, you are entitled to your opinion, but belittleing everyone who doesn't feel this way is both childish and foolish.

Excellent point that countless people have made which, unfortunately, will probably never get across. hmm.gif

Some people have a holier than thou complex. wartim has an Auburner than thou complex.

BTW since you have decided to label yourself EXPLAYER14 and hint around that you have d1 experience why not just come out and tell us all who you are and where you played. Are you an ex AU player at least?

Good Post Tiger88. "explayer" did not answer your question did he? I don't think he will.

Good Post Tiger88. "explayer" did not answer your question did he? I don't think he will.

I don't want it to look like I am jumping on the guys case, because I'm not. It just seems like if you come to a cfb forum and label yourself an explayer of d1 football and start using this in conversation as validation of your opinion, imo, you should divulge to people (at least those who ask via pm) who you are. We have had people in the past use fake identities around here and I'm sure some do now.

Actually T88, I think Raven refers to him/herself (?) as the little birdy. I simply repeated as much.

Nice, I think I used that line in 3rd grade. Look "explayer", I believe that you and I will never view the AU football situation in the same light. You want to allude to your previous playing experience, knowing CTT, and having insight into the program, fine. If you are/were part of the CTT program/staff I believe that your posts give valuable insight to the mindset of that staff. And SOME people wonder why CTT was almost fired???

I don't accept mediocrity in my professional or personal life, why should I accept it from the team/school I $upport??? I guess that separates the "successful" people/programs and the "also rans". Why can't striving to be better be achieved? ' We have never done this before, so we probably never will..'. Thank goodness that Columbus, The Wright brothers or Werner Von Braun didn't listen to some of you guys. We might still be in horse and buggies in the motherland.... :huh:

Archived