AL BORGES IS THE OC!!!!

Raven_tiger

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm floored but will support his decision. Even his former boss felt that Borge will be "swallowed up by the SEC". :huh:

Didn't Dinardo get swallowed up, and then was spit out by the SEC???? Wow, I can not being to phathom this decision. Couldn't CTT hire Borges immdiately after the Music City bowl??? The wait, all for this??? UNBELIEVABLE... :ph34r:

I now firmly believe that CTT is COMPLETELY clueless.

:au:

i am a little bit shocked at this choice,but, i don't know everything going on behind the scene.....maybe this guy will work out....don't rush to judgement too soon......tub must have something to believe he is the man....i damn sure hope so

i am a little bit shocked at this choice,but, i don't know everything going on behind the scene.....maybe this guy will work out....don't rush to judgement too soon......tub must have something to believe he is the man....i damn sure hope so

Maybe similar to the "Nall moment" he experienced last year. Of all the highly regarded OC that interviewed, CTT hired Borges??? Maybe this is some of joke on the AU nation perpetrated by Finebaum. PLEASE wake me up!

i don't think it's a hoax because wjox just announced the same thing....i want to hope it is the right hire,but i just don't know at this moment.....i am somewhat deflated as i write this

Thanks Tom, I had just convinced myself that this was all just a VERY bad dream. Excuse me while I pass out...

well, i can't say that i understand this hire. i could think of good reasons to hire every guy on the list except borges. he's been around so i don't think the sec will "swallow him up," but he's never been a profound guy at any stop in his career. i kinda feel like we just settled. maybe i'm wrong. maybe all the guy needs is talent (he was successful at ucla and with randle el). we have the talent so we'll see. i'll be interested in what we just got. war eagle regardless.

maybe the others wanted to change too much stuff, or bring their own people....coach tubs just put his job back on the line......this guy has produced some good offenses in the past at various places....maybe he couldn't work with dinardo or something....maybe "the human snozzola" kept him throttled down at IU...i don't know how to react to this

maybe the others wanted to change too much stuff, or bring their own people....coach tubs just put his job back on the line......this guy has produced some good offenses in the past at various places....maybe he couldn't work with dinardo or something....maybe "the human snozzola" kept him throttled down at IU...i don't know how to react to this

I just threw up. That's how I reacted to it.

From my viewpoint it appears that Tuberville made another questionable decision much like he did when he promoted Nall to OC last year.

Its difficult to get excited about this hire. Looks like the only thing TT really accomplished was getting someone he won't have to worry about losing to another school anytime soon.

Oh well, I guess we will have to just wait and see what happens...but... if Mr. G doesn't come out of the blocks running fast, both he and TT are going to catch hell next year. The fans won't be too overly patient 'cause this is not the hire they wanted.

Well, to bring some balance to this conversation, you can't just look at Indiana's numbers. Expecting someone to light up the world at that school is a bit much.

While at UCLA from 1996-2000, the Bruins won a school-record 20 straight games between 1997 and 1998 and in both seasons, Borges was a finalist for the Frank Broyles Assistant Coach of the Year award.  He was named Football Coach Quarterly's offensive coordinator of the year in 1997.   

Borges helped lead UCLA to three bowl game appearances in five seasons.  His 1998 offense set school records for total offense, passing offense and points scored.  His 1997 and 1998 offenses averaged 40 points a game.

In 1995, Borges served as the offensive coordinator/quarterback coach at the University of Oregon and helped guide the Ducks to an appearance in the Cotton Bowl.  Oregon led the Pac-10 in passing, averaging 263.8 yards per game.

It's not like the guy sucks.

:blink: Maybe I can convince myself, until kickoff, that he is actually Rob Spence...

Please refer to Al Borges as Rob Spences until further notice or up until kickoff...

i think a lot of folks are over-exaggerating a bit. he's not a moron. he's been successful almost everywhere he's been to an extent. he helped put oregon on the right track. he was part of the best ucla teams ever. he had a great offense at indiana for a year (indiana for God's sake!). i just thought the younger guys brought a little more pop than he did. and i thought geis would help b/c he'd be the receiver's coach (and he's a dang good one).

i dunno i just thought we had better options, but maybe the other guys did want to change too much. the staff is a good one (outside of knox, he's never really blown me away). maybe this guy with this staff and this talent is the right match. i'll be patient (through at least the lsu game next year).

I now firmly believe that CTT is COMPLETELY clueless.

Wow!

Stop the presses! :D

Now THERE is a SHOCK!

Since WHEN did YOU "think" otherwise?

VERY typical....... :P:rolleyes:

I'm thinking CTT wanted someone who is more of a "career assistant" so he didn't have to worry about replacing him in a year or two. That unfortunately would have been likely with Spence or Montgomery.

From my viewpoint it appears that Tuberville made another questionable decision much like he did when he promoted Nall to OC last year.

Its difficult to get excited about this hire. Looks like the only thing TT really accomplished was getting someone he won't have to worry about losing to another school anytime soon.

Oh well, I guess we will have to just wait and see what happens...but... if Mr. G doesn't come out of the blocks running fast, both he and TT are going to catch hell next year. The fans won't be too overly patient 'cause this is not the hire they wanted.

True. Maybe Al and Tubby can job hunt together after next season. Why in the WORLD would you take such a gamble on OC that has never been highly sought after in the first place??? "Riverboat Gambler" I think you just rolled snake-eyes...again.

Maybe CTT thinks this guy will stay with us for awhile instead using the AU OC as a stepping stone to head coaching gig somewhere. I read the press release and he doesn't sound too bad - career assistant who's been coaching kids for 30 years, put up some impressive numbers at different stops... I dunno, doesn't sound bad to me considering Montgomery or Spence either one would be saying "Bye - bye" in a year or two.

Archived