AL BORGES IS THE OC!!!!

Raven_tiger

Please someone tell me if this chioce excites anyone. I for one is really disappointed. I think we could have done better. Well lets hope this dude has a clue. I think CTT will collect his 4 million next year, and maybe that is what he wants.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The best thing this guy can point to is that Indiana set a "school record" in passing in 2002?????!!!!!!

Come on!!! I do not understand why AU seems to continue to flounder around in mediocrity. I was excited about the prospect of a new, powerful offense in 2004- and now- I just want to win 8 games.

Hope I am wrong. WAR EAGLE! :au:

i wouldn't want to change the staff that much. i know the players LOVE these coaches. you got a HUGE win by keeping hugh nall, and it'd be a shame to lose him over a marginally better coordinator. eddie gran is a really good coach too. i don't care about ensminger. he coulda gone, but blowing up the offensive staff would have been a mistake.

no the best thing he can point to is ucla winning 20 games in two years leading the pac-10 in offense with a heisman trophy candidate at qb. that's impressive. i don't care what anyone says. and PLEASE don't act like cade mcnown was a world beater. he was a strong leader with a decent arm, and borges got him to light up the world (miami won a shoot out or his offense is in the national title... and that team was all offense, no defense).

he also lead the pac-10 in passing at oregon before oregon was a machine. he helped build that program. he's had good passing games every place he's been; i just wonder what he does with the running game b/c i don't have a clue.

GROAN!!!!!

Oh man, just when you think we are about to make a good decision we get this...well, I hope he proves my gut instict wrong. I still think Spence was the guy.

The guy has nothing to point to for the last 5 years!

I keep reading "maybe CTT wanted someone who will not leave next year".

NEW FLASH!!... Pay the right guy a fair salary, build in bonus $$ for performance attainment and have 3 year minimum clause in the CONTRACT. He won't leave.

It is not hard to do.

Unless this guy sets the world on fire- CTT will catch it next year.

Sad thing is... he will really have to do better than anyone else would have because there will be so much light on him.

Mistake.

WAR EAGLE! :au:

I don't think it matters if someone has been an assistant for a long time. If he comes to AU and lights up the scoreboard and is successful, he will eventually be considered for a headcoaching job.

Can someone tell me again why it would be so bad to change things around "too much".  I watched these guys play last year too.

Well I should have realized that CTT is incapable of making a good hiring/coaching desicion, even to save his own job. I thought, "Gee, CTT will REALLY want to put some consideration into this hire, afterall his job very well may depend on it.' WRONG!

You know.......I have supported CTT through his entire career at AU.......I know he has made questionable decisions and great decisions. I am not sure which of the two, the hiring of Borges was. BUT, I am not going to jump on CTT's ass because he hired this guy. If he believes that Borges was the best fit for this program then WE as AUBURN MEN and WOMEN need to give this man our full support. CTT is much more knowledgeable about HIS system and what he believes is best for AU, than any or us on this board. SO, until Borges proves that he is not a good OC....He has my full support and I look forward and expect a great great things from his offense next season......

I know most people wanted Spence or Montgomery and we kinda got blind-sided by this decsion, but lets try to be more POSITIVE about this hire. Hell, he might even be the best thing that ever happens to AU's offense.......

WAR DAMN EAGLE......FOREVER & ALWAYS!!!!!!

You know.......I have supported CTT through his entire career at AU.......I know he has made questionable decisions and great decisions. I am not sure which of the two, the hiring of Borges was. BUT, I am not going to jump on CTT's ass because he hired this guy. If he believes that Borges was the best fit for this program then WE as AUBURN MEN and WOMEN need to give this man our full support. CTT is much more knowledgeable about HIS system and what he believes is best for AU, than any or us on this board. SO, until Borges proves that he is not a good OC....He has my full support and I look forward and expect a great great things from his offense next season......

I know most people wanted Spence or Montgomery and we kinda got blind-sided by this decsion, but lets try to be more POSITIVE about this hire. Hell, he might even be the best thing that ever happens to AU's offense.......

WAR DAMN EAGLE......FOREVER & ALWAYS!!!!!!

See Hugh Nall OC promotion for basis for questioning CTT talent assessment ability. :blink:

Also see Bobby Petrino and Gene Chizik. You can't slant it one way like that. I'm disappointed but hoping he knows more than I do.

Because he was FORCED to MAzzone and Levitt. Was CTT responsible for hiring Petrino and Chizik??? Those 2 HAD to have been hired by someone else. Maybe by next year Chizik will be ready for the AU head coaching job.

You're not making any sense.  Who hired Petrino and Chizik?

Tubby was in the hot seat the end of 2001. He was pressured to fire Levitt and Mazzone. Chizik and Petrino were good hires, by that standard CTT could have not been invloved in those selections. Trying to be facetious.

I am in no way a "CTT can do no wrong" type of person, but I can't help but think this is a good hire. Not a great hire but a good hire. First of all, the coaches know more at this point than anyone on this board simply because they have met with this guy and discussed it among themselves. They have information that none of us will ever have.

This guy appears to be a stability hire. He has been successful at all the programs he's coached before. Look at what he did at Indiana for Pete's sake. Not exactly a football powerhouse. I am not crazy about a coach that appears to be a heavy passer, but CTT supposedly let these guys know that he expects AU to run first. This guys appearantly had a good grasp of what AU does and convined this staff that he can make it work. I don;t expect this guy to be on the next HC candidate list next year for every school that goes looking. It's not like this guy has no experience, though.

Some of you will never be happy and that is fine. You have every right to feel that way about our beloved University. We should always expect the best! But you have got to give this guy the benefit of the doubt until he proves he can't get it done. Many were not happy when we hired Dye yet he proved them wrong. Give this guy a chance to prove SOMONE wrong, whether it be those who think like me or even (heaven forbid) YOU!

Spence and Montgomery will be a HCs soon. I for one don;t want to be going through this next year or the next unless it is to CLEAN HOUSE. If he works out...well all the "belly aching was for nothing." If he doesn't, maybe we can hire Spence or Montogomery as a HC.

Just don't get bent out of shape just yet! It's not going to do ANYONE any good.

I'm thinking CTT wanted someone who is more of a "career assistant" so he didn't have to worry about replacing him in a year or two.  That unfortunately would have been likely with Spence or Montgomery.

Funny how those outstanding assistances end up being head coaches somewhere. Best to get an OC who is undistinguished, so no one else will want him. :blink:

I hope he made a wise choice, because HIS job depends upon it! However, I fail to understand how he can take over a week in making a decision that doesn't impress anyone! I'm afraid Tubs inability to make wise decisions is going to be his downfall. One thing for sure, Auburn people stood up for him and if he fails now, he has nobody to thank but himself! WDE! :blink: :roll: :au:

I'm thinking CTT wanted someone who is more of a "career assistant" so he didn't have to worry about replacing him in a year or two.  That unfortunately would have been likely with Spence or Montgomery.

Funny how those outstanding assistances end up being head coaches somewhere. Best to get an OC who is undistinguished, so no one else will want him. :blink:

Raven, I'm not going to go all "WarTim" on you, but don't twist what I'm saying into ridiculous comebacks. All I'm saying is that perhaps CTT went for some stability in this position over having the hottest name on the board, then losing him in a year like we did Petrino and finding ourselves searching again. The guy has had success at Oregon, UCLA, and though this past year (with crappy QBs) at Indiana was down, he did help them set a school record for passing yards in 2002. It's not like the guy is chopped liver. I'd venture to say that Indiana's troubles have more to do with being a traditional doormat and having DiNardo as a head coach (just ask LSU fans) than having Borges as their OC.

Once again I'll state...I preferred someone else too. But I'm not going to freak out either.

well, i'm surprised, but not depressed. surprised.

AND, this guy's success points to the passing...not the running game, and that seems to run contrary to CTTs stated objective (to remain a running team).

all i can say is 'war eagle', and 'time will tell'.

ct

Dang give the guy a BREAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. It looks like to me that he has been successful pretty much everywhere that he has been. Don't you all think that TT knows what he thinks is best for Auburn? We sure as hell don't. All WE have to go on are some stats and what a Toledo fan has had to say about Spence. Obviously, TT thinks that Borges fits in with what he wants. Quit the crying and support the new coach!!!!!

How will this decision effect the A-Day game? Will they try and install Borges offense before the spring game, or will they just have some of them? When do the spring drills start for AU?

Archived