Question about your treatment in Athens

BamaGrad03

I didn't get to make it to athens this year but really wanted to go.

Anyway, I've talked to a BUNCH of people who went to the game and said they were treated HORRIBLY. Children yelling curse words at them...fans giving them the finger...just all KINDS of stuff.

I have to say this is a little suprising. It seems like UGA fans have this superiority complex all of the sudden after one championship season.

So my question is, what are y'alls experiences in athens? Not just AU fans, but LSU, Arkansas fans too...if you've been around UGA fans, id like to know if the experience was as bad as some of the ones ive heard about.

I know southlink you're gonna step in here and id like to hear what you have to say too...because what ive heard is just horrible.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always liked UGA. But ever since I stared reading message boards, it sound like everyone hates them and that they are all jerks. I found that hard to believe. I had always thougth we had a nice friendly rivalry... <_< If UGA is like this after ONE YEAR, just imagine how they would be if they had "TWELVE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS!" :P:lol: jk

Many moons ago I dated an UGA (no jokes please). She had season tickets and I enjoy football (I was too poor) so I went to several games. The atmosphere is very party oriented and I'm sure by the time the game is over, many fans are a little DRUNK. But everyone seemed to be pretty good. Maybe its different now. Might be that now everybody hates bammer and they were just being ugly to them!!!!

Guest AuNuma1

BS, we've been down this road many many many times before and the common agreement between all fans is that every fan base has their fair share of a-holes so even if a bunch of people jump on this thread and tell you they've had bad experiences at uga, you can't come to the conclusion that one fan base, uga's in this case, is considerably worse than another.

You've defended bama in that same light way too many times on here before unfortunately so I don't understand the point of this thread...

I have never been to Athens, but I don't think this lack of class shown by UGA fans is something new. When I was at Auburn in the early 1980s the Georgia fans were BY FAR the worst visiting fans, in fact, every other school that visited, including LSU and Florida were no comparison to the Georgia fans that visited Auburn. What few times I have been around Georgia fans since, has only confirmed what I learned as a young 20 year old kid, many years ago...

I am friends with plenty of UGA and Bama(i know that it doesnt relate, but they are still our biggest rival). The thing is that EVERY team has itz fair share of aggrivating fans. This past Saturday, two drunk guys who I would say were around 17 came over to where me & my friends were at the stadium, and they were talkin all kinda smack & one kept tryin to pick a fight w/ everyone. He even went as far as to sexually assault a drunken Auburn girl!!! When Auburn scored the 3rd touchdown we were finally able to run them off, only to see them come back until Auburn scored yet another TD!

Back on topic.....yes I have experienced plenty of 'Big-Headed' UGA fans.

Go :au: roast the Piggies!!!

That's why I hate UGA soooo much.They know nothing about football and now they're coming out of the wood work.Bama is lucky they only have them twice every 4 years.The UGA and Auburn game is probably the third biggest rivalry game in the SEC going UA and AU then Tenn. and FLA. then UGA and AU.We will always have one of the toughest schedules in the SEC because of this.

I think I'm in a pretty good position to add to this as I also live in Athens. I didn't get to go the game on saturday. (wife works at one of the schools on campus and is involved in alumni affairs, and so organizes and attends the tailgates for that school; I get to go along as part of the deal and help and usually get to go the games, but so many alumni this week no available tickets and couldn't go; have decided in the future that i'll need to go find a seat with auburn people at the au/ga game b/c the last two years au played at jordan-hare east i almost caused a riot up in the club section with predominantly ga alumni fans; but I must admit it was fun.) But I took my kids (5 & 3) over to the tailgate on campus about game time (about a 25 minute walk fron the stadium) and watched the game on the satellite dish that was hooked up there. I can tell you without a doubt I saw no one giving ua fans a hard time, they were just making tracks for their cars and looking for the quickest way out. But there was some very respectable back and forth as you might expect. However, that's not to say that closer to the stadium where there are more students they could have given the ua folks a hard time. That's usually where a lot of that happens. I can also say without a doubt ga fans can be some of the most obnoxious & fair weather fans around (no offense SL3 ;, I know, we've all got them). I can easily remember some absolutely horrendous and inexcusable acts and comments that made me feel sorry for the ga players in the past. Granted, every fan base has their group that make it unpleasant for all concerned. Hope this make small addition makes it clear as mud. ;)

:au: , WDE!

The Georgia fans I encountered at Auburn last year were rowdy, but generally well-behaved. They were yapping early, quiet most of the rest of the game until the big catch, then gracious in winning afterward.

That said, I went to the 1983 AU-GA game in Athens when we won the SEC title by beating them 13-7. They were pretty bad. I was only like 12 years old and they were cursing at us, flipping us off...the works.

So, I guess I have a mixed reaction to them.

Yeah, I'd say UF-UGA and AU-LSU is bigger than UF-UT. Hell, how many years has UF-UGA been playing a a neutral site (except those two years they remodeled the stadium for the Jaguars)? JMO.

Well from my past 6 trips to athens i think i can add my 2 cents here. I ahve encountered the good the bad and the ugly. I do have have to say that ive experienced more of the bad than good.The rude fans are the ones between the ages of 5-35, they get more tame above the age of 35. I have been astonished at the the profanities that have come out of the mouths of children who havent even reached their teen years......UGA is not as bad as LSU but each year i go over there they get closer and closer to each other.....

whenever I got to Athens, I have problems with all the LSU fans. . in fact, the typically follow me to work and throw urine filled ballons at my car.

silly corndogs . .

Oh give me a break if anyone is going to say Athens is any worse then anyone other place. I know tons of people treated horrible at Bama last year, at Auburn last year, at Clemson this year, and Knoxville 2 years ago, Baton Rouge this year......every fan base will have lots of people SO MAD at losing that they will take anything as being horrid. Having been to other places, Athens is no worse then any other SEC Town. I have seen plenty of "I had such an awesome time" threads and other "I hated it" ones...

whenever I got to Athens, I have problems with all the LSU fans. . in fact, the typically follow me to work and throw urine filled ballons at my car.

silly corndogs . .

chuck have i missed something????? cause your post makes absolutely no sense!

I can also say without a doubt ga fans can be some of the most obnoxious & fair weather fans around (no offense SL3 ;, I know, we've all got them).

I would somewhat agree. But I think this off-season has also shown that Auburn has many of them as well.

How does this off-season prove that we have fair weather fans? Yes, we were all pumped for the season, and we were down after the USC loss, but that doesn't mean we didn't stick by our team after that. Sure, we have them. But for the most part we have stuck by our Tigers.

How does this off-season prove that we have fair weather fans? Yes, we were all pumped for the season, and we were down after the USC loss, but that doesn't mean we didn't stick by our team after that. Sure, we have them. But for the most part we have stuck by our Tigers.

Oh no, I meant to say that during the first few weeks, people were calling to fire Tubby, bench Campbell, quit supporting unless this or that happens.....which is quite fair-weather. But, it's not a ditch to Auburn. Georgia has them too as I agree with the other guy.

Guest AuNuma1
chuck have i missed something????? cause your post makes absolutely no sense!

I think that was the point...he was kidding.

chuck have i missed something?????  cause your post makes absolutely no sense!

I think that was the point...he was kidding.

ahhhh lol you have to excuse me sometimes i am ..blonde...<sgh>

In my personal experience....

Year round, dealing with UAT fans has been the most difficult. Just for day in and day out arrogance and condescension.

On game days, LSU has been the worst, although UGA has really made up the ground. That damn barking they do right up in your face before the game and sets the tone. God help you if UGA manages to win. They clear out really fast if they lose, though.

Funny story told to me today by a friend (UT fan).

My friend and her husband went to the game in Auburn Saturday. I invited them to tailgate with us and they met my group in Auburn. Neither had ever been to the campus before and they spent a couple of hours touring the campus. Now, these are two of the nicest, most low-key people you'd ever meet.

After the game, they were naturally disappointed. They didn't hang around too long but tried to get on the road as soon as they could since it was so late.

I talked to her at length today. She went on and on about how nice everyone was that they ran into. People walking up to them to welcome them to Auburn, stopping to talk to them, give them directions, etc. They sat about 20 rows up on the 50 yard line, and said that FOR THE MOST PART, the Auburn fans sitting around them were extremely nice. Except for one guy and his girlfriend (both drunk) two rows above them. The guy kept making snide comments all game long and had written his own version of "Rocky Top" with some more colorful verses than the original songwriters thought of.

Anyway, every time the UT band would play "Rocky Top," he would join in, bellowing and adding in his version as loud as he could. One time he knocked his sunglasses off (yes, he was wearing them at night), which went flying and hit my friend in the head. She picked them up and gave the glasses back, with the guy making yet another comment about UT. The lady sitting in the row immediately between them apologized for the guy, and said.....

direct quote.....

"Sorry about that. All of us have just learned to tolerate him. He just gets that way. He graduated from Alabama."

She got a kick out of that. Her husband couldn't stop laughing.

However, you could tell that that one person left a significant impression on them and probably undid a lot of good impressions that Auburn fans had exhibited during the day.

They clear out really fast if they lose, though

Right. And AU fans don't. According to 5 different friends, AU did a good job against USC this year. Give a cheap shot, get one. :rolleyes:

Numa and Southlink...the reason i started this thread was because I heard an unusually high number of stories about people being treated poorly in athens.

I have friends that went...and have been to away games at every sec school...and said this was the worst theyve ever been treated...

I'm not accusing UGA fans of anything...i just wanted other perspectives

I have been to several AU / UGA games and even a UT / UGA game (when UGA won for the first time in forever in the mid 90's) and have always had a totally awesome time. Honestly, other than Auburn, it is the best atmosphere I have ever seen for a college football game. But, I usally hang out with my little brother, who is UGA alum, nor do I get rowdy myself - I cheer for my team obviously but don't get obnoxious about it - and I have never had anything negative said to me at all. At most sporting events I have been to the Golden Rule usually applies and UGA is no different. Then again I am also 6'1" and about 215 pounds so that my weigh in a bit.

One thing that I saw about the "fair weather fans" that I must comment on though. My brother has had season tickets at UGA for several years, and after they won the SECCG last year he couldn't even afford to make the minimu donation to keep his tickets - makes you wonder about where alot of these new season ticket holders were a few years back. but I am also sure this happens at alot of other schools too.

Archived