2009 Recruiting

BroncoAU

I'd love for Cotton to change his mind. But then again, we don't even know if he's the right QB for whatever system the OC will run. He's a spread QB, but if we're looking for more of an accurate, pocket-passer who can run if he has to, I'm not sure Cotton fits that bill. Maybe I'm wrong about that since I haven't actually watched the kid play.

Titan you are dead on. Cotton is not the qb for us. Raw talent like someone else we have been dealing with. We need someone more polished, pocket oriented that is a little bit mobile. Cotton to me is a project. Look for the battle in the spring to really heat up between Caudle and Trotter.

...For backup QB

So who'll start in your opinion and why?

As much as people have raved about Cotton, it's not as big of a loss to this class as some put it out to be. We have a full stable of quarterbacks, some capable... some not. I'd take a good OL or DL/DE over Cotton any day with this class.

I will be SHOCKED if KODI is not our starting QB in the fall.....

KODI haters really don't realize his UPSIDE....

there isnt too many QB's who can give you a 300 yd passing game and a 150 yd rushing game the next game

if we get the right OC/QB's coach KODI will be a star next year

I agree, Kodi haters make me wanna vomit.. It seems that people are forgetting that in the first 5-6 games of this year, whos ass got the majority of the snaps with the first team in practice?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd love for Cotton to change his mind. But then again, we don't even know if he's the right QB for whatever system the OC will run. He's a spread QB, but if we're looking for more of an accurate, pocket-passer who can run if he has to, I'm not sure Cotton fits that bill. Maybe I'm wrong about that since I haven't actually watched the kid play.

Titan you are dead on. Cotton is not the qb for us. Raw talent like someone else we have been dealing with. We need someone more polished, pocket oriented that is a little bit mobile. Cotton to me is a project. Look for the battle in the spring to really heat up between Caudle and Trotter.

...For backup QB

So who'll start in your opinion and why?

As much as people have raved about Cotton, it's not as big of a loss to this class as some put it out to be. We have a full stable of quarterbacks, some capable... some not. I'd take a good OL or DL/DE over Cotton any day with this class.

I will be SHOCKED if KODI is not our starting QB in the fall.....

KODI haters really don't realize his UPSIDE....

there isnt too many QB's who can give you a 300 yd passing game and a 150 yd rushing game the next game

if we get the right OC/QB's coach KODI will be a star next year

I'm not a Cody basher but he makes a lot of just dumb decisions. He looks to run to much,

Maybe its just me I just don't like a QB that looks to make plays with his feet. If we ran the wishbone fine ,

He's perfect. IMHO the QB is supposed to get the ball to someone who can make a play, Not do it himself.

I may be wrong it would not be a first trust me. If it work's so good why don't the pros do it?

What was Todd's Win pct ? And what was Cody's pct? not comparing just asking

First it is Kodi, not Cody so you fail at reading the posts before yours. He had to run because the o line sucked at blocking this year, ask Todd cause he ate dirt quite often. I like a qb that can make plays with his feet when the wideouts can't get open which is something that Auburn wrs have excelled at. The pros do it, watch any game because at least one qb will run out of the pocket and make a play. Todd's winning pct was better because he had the easier part of the schedule.

AND Todd had the majority of the snaps/reps with the 1st team in practice.

Everyone's favorite QB is usually playing 2nd string or for another team or is the next greatest HS phenom.

I agree totally.I'm just not a Kodi guy. And to make the analogy that somehow Kodi is like Tebow!

Kodi couldn't carry Tebow's jock. He's not as smart or strong or as good of a athlete as Super man.

Kodi may be able to out run him in foot race . But it wouldn't be by much. I think he should be moved to the slot. and use him in some king of wildcat scheme.

No one is comparing Kodi to Tim Tebow, and yes, TT is a freak, he is a one in a life time type of player, it would be interesting to see how Meyer does at UF once TT graduates.

Everyone's favorite QB is usually playing 2nd string or for another team or is the next greatest HS phenom.

I agree totally.I'm just not a Kodi guy. And to make the analogy that somehow Kodi is like Tebow!

Kodi couldn't carry Tebow's jock. He's not as smart or strong or as good of a athlete as Super man.

Kodi may be able to out run him in foot race . But it wouldn't be by much. I think he should be moved to the slot. and use him in some king of wildcat scheme.

No one is comparing Kodi to Tim Tebow, and yes, TT is a freak, he is a one in a life time type of player, it would be interesting to see how Meyer does at UF once TT graduates.

Wow I'm so glad you have decided on our QB next year coach Bronco, And the offensive scheme's Too!

And do you want to let us know now who you will have calling the Defence plays too Coach?

One more thing. If you don't get your way will you throw a bigger Hissy next time?

I need more laughs :roflol:

I second that. And just because we do not support Kodi as next year's starting QB doesn't mean we are Kodi haters. We just prefer a different style of QB...one that can actually complete passes.

Wow I'm so glad you have decided on our QB next year coach Bronco, And the offensive scheme's Too!

And do you want to let us know now who you will have calling the Defence plays too Coach?

One more thing. If you don't get your way will you throw a bigger Hissy next time?

Better still we want to know who Bronco wants for the strength and conditioning coach. :big:

Hmmm, we shall see.. but I hate to go 5-7 again,, it would seriously disrupt your "laughter", but then again, you can just hold your breathe.... :moon:

Better still we want to know who Bronco wants for the strength and conditioning coach. :big:

hmmm, I haven't decided yet! B)

I know you think I'm being a ass I'm not We just disagree. No one is going to convince me Kodi is a good QB.

Sorry He's a great play maker not a good QB

Example# 1 V Young Great play maker not good QB Lots of highlights on ESPN but his team not so much!

Example# 2 C Collins. Good not great QB puts the ball in the right place at the right time. Checks to the right

Audible And they run the damn ball. And throw it when they need to, Not when they have to. Kodi will never be a great Quarterback in the SEC , He cant read defence's , Saban Don't spread s*** he pounds you.

And throws it 17 time's a game , Pete Carroll Dont spread s*** they run it right at you. The spread is a fad that will go away like the wishbone. Hard nosed football will always work. Period

I'm so glad you are an expert at grading qb's future results. I thought the whole point of the qb position was to make plays, either with their feet or arm. Yeah Bradford and Harrell are great pocket passers but look at the surrrounding talent and coaching, pretty steep upgrade over what Kodi had this year. I have faith in Burns if he gets a good qb coac and playcaller, look at Jason Campbell after he got one.

I know you think I'm being a ass I'm not We just disagree. No one is going to convince me Kodi is a good QB.

Example# 1 V Young Great play maker not good QB Lots of highlights on ESPN but his team not so much!

Example# 2 C Collins. Good not great QB puts the ball in the right place at the right time. Checks to the right

Audible And they run the damn ball. And throw it when they need to, Not when they have to. Kodi will never be a great Quarterback in the SEC , He cant read defence's , Saban Don't spread s*** he pounds you.

And throws it 17 time's a game , Pete Carroll Dont spread s*** they run it right at you. The spread is a fad that will go away like the wishbone. Hard nosed football will always work. Period

People said the same thing about Jason Campbell at one point then he got some coaching and improvement at WR and was a great QB.

Saban Don't spread s*** he pounds you.

And throws it 17 time's a game , Pete Carroll Dont spread s*** they run it right at you. The spread is a fad that will go away like the wishbone. Hard nosed football will always work.

And they both lost to teams that run the Spread. As you said, the Wishbone was a fad too. It did go away, after about 12 years. In the meantime a bunch of teams won NC's running the Wishbone. This year's NC will run the spread offense, we already know that.

I'm so glad you are an expert at grading qb's future results. I thought the whole point of the qb position was to make plays, either with their feet or arm. Yeah Bradford and Harrell are great pocket passers but look at the surrrounding talent and coaching, pretty steep upgrade over what Kodi had this year. I have faith in Burns if he gets a good qb coac and playcaller, look at Jason Campbell after he got one.

You know what your right. I'm not a expert and guess what neither are you! I have my opinion.

That's all. See the problem is that you think your opinion means more than mine. Look back though this thread, I'm not the only one. Why are you so enamored with him ? What has he done to prove that he is the man?. And again I'm not being a ass , I just want to know. Why do I have to justify why I don't want him?

But all you have to do is say I'm wrong. Give me something to change my mind. But remember Ive seen him play too.

I never said my opinion means more, and it doesn't. I know you aren't the only one on here that thinks this way but you are the one throwing around phrases such as "Kodi will never be a good qb". I'm enamoured with him because he threw for 300+ yards in one game and turned around and rushed for 150+ yards in another, if that doesn't show that he is a playmaker then I don't know what else can. So what if he isn't sack bait like Brandon Cox or Chris Todd. You are unfairly hammering the guy because he doesn't have the players around him or the coaches to polish and show off his talent. But you don't want him and that is fine, I guess Tubby and the coaches were fools to recruit the crummy player that he is. Show me why Kodi Burns is a terrible player and well never be a good qb in the SEC.

I never said my opinion means more, and it doesn't. I know you aren't the only one on here that thinks this way but you are the one throwing around phrases such as "Kodi will never be a good qb". I'm enamoured with him because he threw for 300+ yards in one game and turned around and rushed for 150+ yards in another, if that doesn't show that he is a playmaker then I don't know what else can. So what if he isn't sack bait like Brandon Cox or Chris Todd. You are unfairly hammering the guy because he doesn't have the players around him or the coaches to polish and show off his talent. But you don't want him and that is fine, I guess Tubby and the coaches were fools to recruit the crummy player that he is. Show me why Kodi Burns is a terrible player and well never be a good qb in the SEC.

Well there it is again Why do I have to prove anything. You prove to me why he's the man

Whats is his Win loss record? I don't care if he throws for 300 yds If he makes a bad read in the 4th with the game on the line. Who cares. And you said that CTT was wrong about him. 5-7

Well most Qb's in high school are the best Play makers on there team's But they play somewhere else in collage Right?

It's up to him to prove himself . He has Failed to do that so far.

I maybe wrong if so it wont be the first time, And I hope I am. But here are the facts .

He's not a very accurate passer and he does not make good decisions with the ball.

Last Question. Did he move the ball at all against the better defence's in this conference? Answer NO

But if he was so great why are we home at bowl season? (Fact) He was the QB of the OLE MISS ARK WV AND BAMA game right. How many of those game's did he win. Wins not potential results not flash

Well there it is again Why do I have to prove anything. You prove to me why he's the man

Whats is his Win loss record? I don't care if he throws for 300 yds If he makes a bad read in the 4th with the game on the line. Who cares. And you said that CTT was wrong about him. 5-7

Well most Qb's in high school are the best Play makers on there team's But they play somewhere else in collage Right?

It's up to him to prove himself . He has Failed to do that so far.

I maybe wrong if so it wont be the first time, And I hope I am. But here are the facts .

He's not a very accurate passer and he does not make good decisions with the ball.

Last Question. Did he move the ball at all against the better defence's in this conference? Answer NO

But if he was so great why are we home at bowl season? (Fact) He was the QB of the OLE MISS ARK WV AND BAMA game right. How many of those game's did he win. Wins not potential results not flash

Kodi needs to be properly coached and trained and I seriously doubt he got that. Borges coached KB during his TF year and he showed signs of promise until Borges was let go and then thats when CTF was hired in Nov-Dec of last year, he already had in his mind that his loverboy Todd will be his man which resulted in, and this is just MHO, KB gets neglected.

Look who got the majority of reps/snaps with the first team in the first 5-6 games this season? And had CTF not get fired in the middle of the season, Kodi would still be in the same boat as he was during the first 5-6 games this past year..

He threw for 300 yards against one of the worst passing defenses in the SEC... and also threw like 3 interceptions to go along with it.

And his 150 yard rushing game was against a Division 2 team!!

I haven't seen anything out of him that makes me excited for next season. At first I thought it was just because he wasn't getting the playing time, but I have honestly lost faith in Kodi. His throws are kind of.. what do you say.. Terrible. Yes he can run the ball, but as you all have seen, when we go against a good defense (Alabama), he has no chance.

If you want to just resort to Kodi being the QB... thats fine. But expect BIG games against crappy teams, and terrible games against teams with a defense.

Maybe he will prove me wrong.

And I am kind of glad we have a whole new coaching staff.. Maybe they will give all the QBs a fair game. Tuberville and staff might have done that, but it didn't show on the field this year.

The example you chose to provide shows that you are making the mistake of taking a QB style to a higher level (the NFL) and seeing if it works there. This is a bad example because in college running QBs have success whereas in the NFL they do not, yet. I think that we can all agree that most QBs that have running as their major threat in college will not be successful in the NFL, but they can be very successful in college. Do you think anybody at Texas would have traded Vince Young for any other QB during their 2005 season? You say "his team, not so much". His COLLEGE team won it all.

Ronin wrote:

People said the same thing about Jason Campbell at one point then he got some coaching and improvement at WR and was a great QB.

With due respect, there are a couple of significant differences. Campbell broke through as a senior and was surrounded by bona-fide NFL talent. Campbell also had/has a "big arm" that is capable of throwing the deep-out with authority, bigger than any arm we currently have in the program.

IMHO, Auburn's mistake was in failing to prepare multiple quarterbacks. We assured ourselves of a single-threaded solution by giving the overwhelming majority of snaps to Cox in '07.

I witnessed several of the '08 practices and IMO Barrett Trotter will assume the reigns at QB in '09. Todd is doubtful to return to AU, and based on the way he was treated by the fanbase, I doubt anyone can blame him and still keep a straight face.

Despite Kodi's terrific scrambling abilities, AU is completely screwed if KB goes down with an injury. We have no backup with any experience, nor anyone that can emulate KB's running abilities. At least with Caudle/Trotter, you have a similarly-styled QB situation where one can backup the other without disrupting the entire offense.

Any way you slice it, Auburn is shafted with a young, inexperienced, questionable QB in '09 and that spells problems in the SEC. The SEC teams with solid QB's fared well in '08 (UGA, UF, Ole Miss, Bama) while teams with younger, inexperienced QB's struggled greatly (AU, LSU, USC, UT).

jasoncampbellUT.jpg

He threw for 300 yards against one of the worst passing defenses in the SEC... and also threw like 3 interceptions to go along with it.

And his 150 yard rushing game was against a Division 2 team!!

I haven't seen anything out of him that makes me excited for next season. At first I thought it was just because he wasn't getting the playing time, but I have honestly lost faith in Kodi. His throws are kind of.. what do you say.. Terrible. Yes he can run the ball, but as you all have seen, when we go against a good defense (Alabama), he has no chance.

If you want to just resort to Kodi being the QB... thats fine. But expect BIG games against crappy teams, and terrible games against teams with a defense.

Maybe he will prove me wrong.

And I am kind of glad we have a whole new coaching staff.. Maybe they will give all the QBs a fair game. Tuberville and staff might have done that, but it didn't show on the field this year.

It was obvious that Kodi received zero coaching last year. First, he had Franklin ignore him all spring, summer, and fall. Then, he had basically no QB coach.

It was obvious that Kodi received zero coaching last year. First, he had Franklin ignore him all spring, summer, and fall. Then, he had basically no QB coach.

That's a complete myth. Zero coaching? Phhfttttt.

During the practices and scrimmages that I witnessed, Kodi received the same instruction and opportunity as all of the other QB's. I suspect that if Burns had dedicated himself to the filmroom and the summer skellys at the same level that Todd demonstrated, then we wouldn't have been debating which guy was the better QB.

During the practices and scrimmages that I witnessed, Kodi received the same instruction and opportunity as all of the other QB's. I suspect that if Burns had dedicated himself to the filmroom and the summer skellys at the same level that Todd demonstrated, then we wouldn't have been debating which guy was the better QB.

I couldn't agree more. I doubt the coaches said "We are talking football here Burns, no get outta here". I was a big fan of Kodi last year and part of this year. I think he has a ton of talent. But he hasnt shown that on the field when it matters. Now he may come out this year and look like a different person, with a different system, and new coaches. That would be great, I'm sure we can all agree on that. Since this is all speculation, I speculate he won't. Like Caddyattack said, Campell was surrounded by talent. There are a ton of other reasons to, some only God could explain. But that doesn't happen quit often.

Hinging your season on a running QB is dangerous. Bottom line. Ask any Oregon fan what happened when Dennis Dixon got hurt. They were number 2 in the nation when it happened, and barley finished in the top 25. Thats happens more often than not. So do I want to put my offensive promise and glory in the hands of a QB that MIGHT break through this year? I don't.

I do think Burns was better for us this year than Todd because the line did break down a lot and we kept running that glaring obvious QB option. Todd couldn't break a 4.7 if he was running from the devil himself, so atleast Kodi could break a few from those types of plays.

Last but not least. For all of the "forum spell checkers" out there, grow up. All you do is make yourself look like a pompus a**hole when you do it. You can obviously read and understand what the person means because you reply to it. Calling someone ignorant of a topic because they miss spell a players name reveals your own IQ and maturity. This is a football forum, not ENG 101. So when the moderators start locking down threads for misspelling, will we ever care about your arrogant corrections.

I couldn't agree more. I doubt the coaches said "We are talking football here Burns, no get outta here". I was a big fan of Kodi last year and part of this year. I think he has a ton of talent. But he hasnt shown that on the field when it matters. Now he may come out this year and look like a different person, with a different system, and new coaches. That would be great, I'm sure we can all agree on that. Since this is all speculation, I speculate he won't. Like Caddyattack said, Campell was surrounded by talent. There are a ton of other reasons to, some only God could explain. But that doesn't happen quit often.

Hinging your season on a running QB is dangerous. Bottom line. Ask any Oregon fan what happened when Dennis Dixon got hurt. They were number 2 in the nation when it happened, and barley finished in the top 25. Thats happens more often than not. So do I want to put my offensive promise and glory in the hands of a QB that MIGHT break through this year? I don't.

I do think Burns was better for us this year than Todd because the line did break down a lot and we kept running that glaring obvious QB option. Todd couldn't break a 4.7 if he was running from the devil himself, so atleast Kodi could break a few from those types of plays.

Last but not least. For all of the "forum spell checkers" out there, grow up. All you do is make yourself look like a pompus a**hole when you do it. You can obviously read and understand what the person means because you reply to it. Calling someone ignorant of a topic because they miss spell a players name reveals your own IQ and maturity. This is a football forum, not ENG 101. So when the moderators start locking down threads for misspelling, will we ever care about your arrogant corrections.

Yeah thats what i was about to say. :)

His performance on the field this year proves its not a "myth"..

Archived