MIS Job wanted

vatz22au

So I'm finally graduating in May of this year with a major in Management Information Systems. If anybody has any details that could lead me to a possible job or if any of you could float my resume around within your company I would greatly appreciate it!

So I'm finally graduating in May of this year with a major in Management Information Systems. If anybody has any details that could lead me to a possible job or if any of you could float my resume around within your company I would greatly appreciate it!

Do you have a specialty? Programming? Networking? Security? System Administration? Hardware?

And I imagine you mostly learned Microsoft Windows stuff, but do you also have any experience with Unix or Linux?

Do you have a specialty? Programming? Networking? Security? System Administration? Hardware?

And I imagine you mostly learned Microsoft Windows stuff, but do you also have any experience with Unix or Linux?

I have experience with Linux but it's somewhat vague. In terms of specialty, I have experience in the ones you have mentioned except for System Administration. Nothing too advanced in terms of programming... just basic java, sql, html, xml, etc. (although I loved the area). Right now I'm very interested in security as one of my classes this semester is Security Information & Assurance.

Are you tied to any certain geographic areas? I was already married when I graduated, so moving wasn't much of an option, but if you're not tied down, I would highly suggest talking to all of the companies that come to Auburn on a regular basis. Also, talk with some of the professors you are close with. I'm in grad school at Auburn on a distance learning program for my master's in MIS, so I know several of the professors and they are all approachable and willing to help. I'm assuming Dr. Cegielski is teaching the security class and he has a lot of contacts in several areas and would probably help you in at least getting your resume reviewed.

The state is usually hiring, but you need to be willing to start pretty low and take the time to work up. The plus of it is that you have great stability and benefits, but not quite the pay you would get in the private sector. If you're interested in that, you need to start with the application as soon as possible. Nothing moves quickly in that area.

Are you tied to any certain geographic areas? I was already married when I graduated, so moving wasn't much of an option, but if you're not tied down, I would highly suggest talking to all of the companies that come to Auburn on a regular basis. Also, talk with some of the professors you are close with. I'm in grad school at Auburn on a distance learning program for my master's in MIS, so I know several of the professors and they are all approachable and willing to help. I'm assuming Dr. Cegielski is teaching the security class and he has a lot of contacts in several areas and would probably help you in at least getting your resume reviewed.

The state is usually hiring, but you need to be willing to start pretty low and take the time to work up. The plus of it is that you have great stability and benefits, but not quite the pay you would get in the private sector. If you're interested in that, you need to start with the application as soon as possible. Nothing moves quickly in that area.

Dr. Cegielski is teaching that class and he has been very helpful. Also, in terms of the state, there are some openings in the field within the health care area... but from what I hear it's a confusing area to deal with. Kind of runs with what you said about the quickness of the state.

Dr. Cegielski is teaching that class and he has been very helpful. Also, in terms of the state, there are some openings in the field within the health care area... but from what I hear it's a confusing area to deal with. Kind of runs with what you said about the quickness of the state.

A list of complete job postings is at State Personnel Site most of the continuous jobs are available at multiple agencies within the state, not just limited to one. If you're interested in state government work, I would apply for every job you qualify for and can accept the minimum salary for. If you have any questions about any of it, feel free to PM me and I'll answer if I can. It can be a confusing process, but like I said, benefits, 13 paid holidays a year and the retirement system are pretty sweet.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived