JaWuan James decommits from bammer

TitanTiger

Which is interesting since Rivals has a story from 8 days ago that says he's "solid with the Tide." He's no longer on bammer's commit list at Scout or Rivals.

I'm pretty sure this really means Sabear didn't want him anymore and they've got a 5* ready to take his place.

There have rumors about this one for quite some time. Odd to me to come out after all those rumors and "reaffirm" a commitment only to retract it again a week later, though my 19 yr old (whose at AU) changes his mind about what he wants to major in almost weekly...

He's a good player and will make a good addition to someone's roster

Did he give a reason for de-committing?

Not from him, but from his high school coach:

http://blog.al.com/tide-source/2009/09/why_did_jawuan_james_change_hi.html

You might have heard last week that a star high school football player from the Atlanta area has changed his mind about a commitment to Alabama.

JaWuan James, a 6-foot-6, 305-pound offensive lineman from North Gwinnett (Ga.) High School, committed to Alabama in May.

Why is he now reconsidering that decision?

According to a report on an AJC.com blog, North Gwinnett coach Bob Sphire suggested that Alabama's brush with the NCAA this summer regarding a textbook scandal is making James think twice.

"He did feel like when this thing came up with the text books and that kind of stuff, that kind of threw him into a tailspin," Sphire told Chip Towers.

"I think he's over-worried about the consequences if something else were to happen and that kind of got him thinking. But to be honest with you I'm not real sure."

Again, only the opinion of his coach who also admits he's "not real sure", but it does reflect what I've been thinking for some time:

If I'm a recruit, parent or fan, I'd have concerns about the overall reputation of the program at UAT--arrests/NCAA woes/fishing trips & laptops/departures/"thugism"--and what it portends for the future. Even if they're pure as the driven snow from here on out, it's got to give recruits and their families pause. JMHO

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly what do you think our chances are of getting this guy?

College Choices

School Interest

Alabama Medium

Auburn Medium

Clemson Medium

Florida Medium

Georgia Medium

Georgia Tech Medium

Oklahoma Medium

Oregon Mediume

South Carolina Medium

Tennessee Medium

The easy answer is 10%. The real answer is 50%. He either is or he isn't going to sign with us.

College Choices

School Interest

Alabama Medium

Auburn Medium

Clemson Medium

Florida Medium

Georgia Medium

Georgia Tech Medium

Oklahoma Medium

Oregon Mediume

South Carolina Medium

Tennessee Medium

The easy answer is 10%. The real answer is 50%. He either is or he isn't going to sign with us.

College Choices

School Interest

Alabama Medium

Auburn Medium

Clemson Medium

Florida Medium

Georgia Medium

Georgia Tech Medium

Oklahoma Medium

Oregon Mediume

South Carolina Medium

Tennessee Medium

I deserved that <_<

You might have heard last week that a star high school football player from the Atlanta area has changed his mind about a commitment to Alabama.

JaWuan James, a 6-foot-6, 305-pound offensive lineman from North Gwinnett (Ga.) High School, committed to Alabama in May.

According to a report on an AJC.com blog, North Gwinnett coach Bob Sphire suggested that Alabama's brush with the NCAA this summer regarding a textbook scandal is making James think twice.

"He did feel like when this thing came up with the text books and that kind of stuff, that kind of threw him into a tailspin," Sphire told Chip Towers.

"I think he's over-worried about the consequences if something else were to happen and that kind of got him thinking. But to be honest with you I'm not real sure."

Again, only the opinion of his coach who also admits he's "not real sure", but it does reflect what I've been thinking for some time:

If I'm a recruit, parent or fan, I'd have concerns about the overall reputation of the program at UAT--arrests/NCAA woes/fishing trips & laptops/departures/"thugism"--and what it portends for the future. Even if they're pure as the driven snow from here on out, it's got to give recruits and their families pause. JMHO

Now straight from him:

http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2009/09/29/ex-bama-commit-james-opens-up-about-opening-up-recruitment/?cxntfid=blogs_recruiting

Q: I hate to ask you to rehash, but just for the sake of clarity, why did you back off your commitment to Alabama?

A. “Well, back when I committed and the Alabama probation stuff came out, I expressed to them my concerns about it. I’ve talked to them about it since and they’ve been helping me throughout and trying to make me feel more comfortable. But I never felt the comfortability I felt back when I first committed to them. So there was that. But mostly I just felt like I needed to take a step back and just re-evaluate everything.”

Now straight from him:

http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2009/09/29/ex-bama-commit-james-opens-up-about-opening-up-recruitment/?cxntfid=blogs_recruiting

Q: I hate to ask you to rehash, but just for the sake of clarity, why did you back off your commitment to Alabama?

A. “Well, back when I committed and the Alabama probation stuff came out, I expressed to them my concerns about it. I’ve talked to them about it since and they’ve been helping me throughout and trying to make me feel more comfortable. But I never felt the comfortability I felt back when I first committed to them. So there was that. But mostly I just felt like I needed to take a step back and just re-evaluate everything.”

It's a big decision for him and it looks like he is trying to make the best decision he can. I can't fault a kid for trying to do what is right for his future.

It's a big decision for him and it looks like he is trying to make the best decision he can. I can't fault a kid for trying to do what is right for his future.

Find fault? I applaud the kid for thinking about it carefully even if he still ends up at UAT! :thumbsup:

I just find it amazing that so many Bammers refuse to even consider the possibility that their last decade or two of scandal and NCAA troubles might have tarnished their reputation. I thought "nobody cares about the textbook thing" and recruits would "crawl through broken glass" to play for the Tide and/or Nick Saban! :rolleyes:

Find fault? I applaud the kid for thinking about it carefully even if he still ends up at UAT! :thumbsup:

I just find it amazing that so many Bammers refuse to even consider the possibility that their last decade or two of scandal and NCAA troubles might have tarnished their reputation. I thought "nobody cares about the textbook thing" and recruits would "crawl through broken glass" to play for the Tide and/or Nick Saban! :rolleyes:

That was not meant as a jab at you. I was just referencing your info.

I probably should have just quoted this part:

That was not meant as a jab at you. I was just referencing your info.

No worries...I didn't take it as such. :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

It's official--at least until he changes his mind again:

http://blog.al.com/bamabeat/2009/11/wednesday_briefing_former_tide.html

Wednesday briefing: Former Tide commit winds up choosing Vols

By Gentry Estes, Mobile Press-Register

November 11, 2009, 10:23AM

It wasn't all that surprising to see North Gwinnett (Ga.) offensive lineman JaWuan James commit to Tennessee last night, almost two months to the day after his decommitment from Alabama.

James, who is No. 59 on the Press-Register's Super Southeast 120, has narrowed his new list to Georgia, Tennessee and UCLA. He broke the news to Vols assistant Ed Orgeron.

"It's a blessing to be recruited like I was," James said told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution's Chip Towers. "I really appreciated everything everybody did, and I have a lot of respect for Georgia and all the other teams that recruited me. They did a good job. But I just felt like I fit better at Tennessee. The coaches, the players, I like that new environment. I think Coach Kiffin is going to do big things and I want to be a big part of it.

Archived