What is your favorite Iron Bowl memory?

RunInRed

Best memory being at the Iron Bowl would have to be the '02 Iron Bowl and Tre Smith running wild in T-Town. A close second (which I didn't get to see in person) would be the "Honk if you sacked Brodie" game.

WAR DAMN EAGLE!! This will be the first Iron Bowl I've been able to get back to since 2002 and I can't wait to make some new Iron Bowl memories, especially since my son is coming with me and this will be his first Auburn game!

Win or Lose, it is GREAT to be an Auburn Tiger!! :cheer:

No question the best Iron bowl memory was 72 it was my dad and I first Auburn game together in person we set in the end zone where David ran into, I will never forget the look on his face as jumped and down and yelled until we could not even talk. Then the Auburn and Penn State bowl game was are last game we seen together he died of a heart faller in February, I place one ticket of each game and his favorite Auburn hat with him to take a long, so one day when i join him in heaven we would be able talk about the games once again.

Watching Ed Sissium cough it up on the screen pass in 1997. If Bama had even punted on 3rd down we would not have won that game. Jarret Holmes kicks the field goal, we head to Atlanta, and Bama goes on probation. That season also started the coaches carousel at Bama. :au:

I am not one to post, but I do read the site every day and have been visiting the site since the days when the board was called War Eagle Nation. When I saw the topic, I had to post my favorite memory.

1997 Iron Bowl. First Iron Bowl I was able to attend in Jordan-Hare. I sat on the top row in the south end zone right under the scoreboard. I remember the first play of the game was Dameyune Craig and a variation of the Statue of Liberty play. Dameyune drops back and puts the ball behind his back and freezes while Alabama defenders run past him thinking the play is dead. He throws a bomb for a first down and the crowd goes wild. Towards the end of the game, I remember my roommate and I were cussing Terry Bowden for punting the ball away in the 4th quarter before Alabama's last series instead of going for it. I had a pair of binoculars with me and I remember seeing Ed Scissum catch the ball, turn and then get hit to fumble the ball and I saw Auburn recover. I remember screaming, "WE GOT THE BALL", "WE GOT THE BALL". People around me were screaming..."What happen? Who has the ball?" At that point you can hear the crowd screaming and the noise starts in the north end zone and is like a wave of sound that engulfs the whole stadium when people realize Auburn recovered the ball. Jarret Holmes kicks the field goal to win and it was like a bomb went off the crowd was so loud. I was hoarse for three days after the game. A few years later, I was at a game and I went into Hailey Center and saw where they were selling Auburn prints. I found one of the scoreboard of the 1997 game and I was able to find myself in the picture. Terry Bowden always had a catch phrase for the team. In 1997 it was W.I.N. (Whatever Is Necessary) In the picture I was in the top row of the south end zone at the end of the bleachers right under the W from the message that was on the score board. It is a picture I still have today and every time I look at it, it reminds me of my favorite Iron Bowl memory.

I am not one to post, but I do read the site every day and have been visiting the site since the days when the board was called War Eagle Nation. When I saw the topic, I had to post my favorite memory.

1997 Iron Bowl. First Iron Bowl I was able to attend in Jordan-Hare. I sat on the top row in the south end zone right under the scoreboard. I remember the first play of the game was Dameyune Craig and a variation of the Statue of Liberty play. Dameyune drops back and puts the ball behind his back and freezes while Alabama defenders run past him thinking the play is dead. He throws a bomb for a first down and the crowd goes wild. Towards the end of the game, I remember my roommate and I were cussing Terry Bowden for punting the ball away in the 4th quarter before Alabama's last series instead of going for it. I had a pair of binoculars with me and I remember seeing Ed Scissum catch the ball, turn and then get hit to fumble the ball and I saw Auburn recover. I remember screaming, "WE GOT THE BALL", "WE GOT THE BALL". People around me were screaming..."What happen? Who has the ball?" At that point you can hear the crowd screaming and the noise starts in the north end zone and is like a wave of sound that engulfs the whole stadium when people realize Auburn recovered the ball. Jarret Holmes kicks the field goal to win and it was like a bomb went off the crowd was so loud. I was hoarse for three days after the game. A few years later, I was at a game and I went into Hailey Center and saw where they were selling Auburn prints. I found one of the scoreboard of the 1997 game and I was able to find myself in the picture. Terry Bowden always had a catch phrase for the team. In 1997 it was W.I.N. (Whatever Is Necessary) In the picture I was in the top row of the south end zone at the end of the bleachers right under the W from the message that was on the score board. It is a picture I still have today and every time I look at it, it reminds me of my favorite Iron Bowl memory.

:Chills: Great story. Thanks for sharing.

The one that always sticks out for me is the 1986 game. Down 17-14 late in the 4th. Auburn gets the ball. On this drive we converted two fourth downs, one where Trey Gainous has to slide down and make the catch and the ball was thrown where only he could get it anyway. Then the famous reverse to Lawyer Tillman happens on a play where he wasn't even supposed to be in. Auburn is at the 7 yard line with time ticking under 40 seconds. Tillman's frantically trying to call time out when he realizes that the guy who normally runs it is on the sideline, but the refs don't see him. The ball's snapped and Tillman runs it to perfection, splashing into the rain soaked endzone with 32 seconds to play. Auburn wins 21-17.

1989. It was the epitome of what I never thought would happen to a kid growing up in the shadows of Memorial Stadium (Death Valley) in Clemson, S.C. during the Danny Ford years. Tagging along with my parents to all those games was very special. I never thought I'd be anything other than a Clemson Alum. during those years. But then there was a special running back from another team of Tigers that amazed me as a young football player (Bo Jackson). I would later wear the #34 in Jr. High as a fullback, and I made every attempt I could to find Auburn on T.V. against the SEC elites. That all came to a head that December day in Auburn, Alabama. I knew what it was like to be at a big time game with over 80,000 people in attendance. Clemson v/s Georgia, Clemson v/s Carolina, Clemson v/s FSU. Even a trip to the Orange Bowl in 1982 as the CU Tigers won the National Title over Nebraska couldn't prepare me for that special day. The paper shakers, the Tiger Walk, the pulse......and I mean it was as palpable as any I've ever felt. The emotion unleashed that day swept me up and carried me away, and I was forever transformed by it.

I'm not perfect, and I've made my share of mistakes along the path of life. But I know in my heart that being a part of the Auburn Family is something that I will always cherish. That one day forever changed this former Clemson Tiger and I've never looked back.

WAR EAGLE! BEAT BAMA................AGAIN!

I was an eighteen year old freshman in 1993. It was my first Iron Bowl in Auburn (although I had also been to the 1987 and 1988 wins in Birmingham). The team had started the season with a new coach and low expectations. We were on probation so the only people who saw us play that year were the ones in the stadium each week.

Many people just remember one play from this game, but the entire second half was exciting. Auburn was down 14-5 with 6:22 left in the third quarter. Our offense had not done much all day, but we were hoping senior quarterback Stan White would get something going. We were on the Alabama 29 and driving well when Stan White got sacked (loss of six yards) and was knocked out of the game. Enter reserve quarterback Patrick Nix with no time to warm up. It was fourth and fifteen on the Alabama 35. The play call was 278 Z Takeoff. Patrick threw it up, Frank Sanders made an amazing grab at the three then dove into the end-zone and the crowd went crazy. Add the PAT and we were only down by a pair. That is the play everyone always remember, even though it was in the third quarter and did not even give us the lead. It was, however, the classic example of a shift in momentum. A 26 yard field goal by Scott Etheridge gave us a 15-14 lead. Our defense made several big plays, including a Brian Robinson interception and a stop on fourth down as Alabama went for it to preserve the lead. With limited time in the fourth quarter, Auburn put together a good drive and got down to a first and goal from the Alabama three yard line. Three straight handoffs failed to get us in the endzone. Etheridge set up for a short field goal, but after the snap the holder tried to run it in but was stopped inches from the Alabama goal line. The score was still 15-14. Alabama began driving down the field until Dell McGhee intercepted the ball with 2:39 left in the game. The very next play was an amazing 70 yard touchdown run by James Bostic with 2:19 left. That put Auburn up 22-14. As time ticked away, Jim Fyffe yelled “Eleven and O, Eleven and O, Eleven and O” although of course I didn't hear it at the time since I was at the game.

The best defensive player of the game was Jason Miska, who recorded 12 tackles, including a pair of sacks. This victory was not an exciting last-minute-come-from-behind victory like some of the others, but this game was the cap on Auburn's 11-0 season my freshman year, and that, combined with a big play, gave it all the magic it needed. The 11-0 was the best we could do, because we were on probation, so there was no SEC Championship Game, no bowl game, no shot at a national title. Whatever else, the Tigers could say that no one beat them that season, and after the game, Terry said “Today I became an Auburn man.” There has been a lot of bad blood between Auburn and Terry since then, but whatever else people say, I believe that Terry truly loved Auburn that November day.

I have seen many that are memorable. The one that sticks out to me is the 1982 game. I suffered through nine years there there in Legion (Bama) field only to watch us lose. We came close on several occasions, but Alabama thought they just could not lose to Auburn. My wife and I had seats about 10 rows up in the north end zone. We were looking straight ahead when Bo went over the top to finally win after the long drought. You younger folks don't really understand just what the nature of the rivalry was in that era, or the arrogance of the Bama fans. After the game, when the field cleared slightly, and the south goal post had been passed up through the student section to the top of the south end zone, my wife and I walked quietly and calmly on the field and celebrated with our team and fans just soaking it all in. I have Daniel Moore's framed print in my office. It is erroneously titled "The Goal Line Dive" and looks like the Alabama defenders might stop Bo. As we and history know that didn't happen and a nine game losing streak came to an end. I find it ironic that Moore chronicled many of the great moments in Alabama football History, but in this print the perspective was from the same view that we had that day. War Eagle!! and Beat Bama!!

I have seen many that are memorable. The one that sticks out to me is the 1982 game. I suffered through nine years there there in Legion (Bama) field only to watch us lose. We came close on several occasions, but Alabama thought they just could not lose to Auburn. My wife and I had seats about 10 rows up in the north end zone. We were looking straight ahead when Bo went over the top to finally win after the long drought. You younger folks don't really understand just what the nature of the rivalry was in that era, or the arrogance of the Bama fans. After the game, when the field cleared slightly, and the south goal post had been passed up through the student section to the top of the south end zone, my wife and I walked quietly and calmly on the field and celebrated with our team and fans just soaking it all in. I have Daniel Moore's framed print in my office. It is erroneously titled "The Goal Line Dive" and looks like the Alabama defenders might stop Bo. As we and history know that didn't happen and a nine game losing streak came to an end. I find it ironic that Moore chronicled many of the great moments in Alabama football History, but in this print the perspective was from the same view that we had that day. War Eagle!! and Beat Bama!!

I watched that game just last night on ESPN Classic. That was before my time as an Auburn fan, but man, it was great to watch all these years later! WDE!!!

Aaahhhhh....Soooooo many.

brodie laying in the fetal position in a crumpled mass...over and OVER again.

jay barker laying safely in the arms of Jason Miska in the north end zone scoring a safety.

Beating the rednecks and forcing the oooooooold coach to hang it up....forever......

So so so many...........

WDE ! ! ! :cheer::au:

If you think we don't stand a chance Friday, let me tell you about my first Auburn-Alabama game. As an AU freshman in 1963, nobody thought we had a prayer (except Auburn people, Auburn coaches, and Auburn players). Alabama had shutout Auburn in winning four straight from 1959-1962. Quarterback Mailon Kent, taking the place of injured Jimmy Sidle, engineered an upset in a hard-hitting defensive struggle, 10-8.

Never give up! War Damn Eagle!!!

1822.png

artwork by Phil Neel provided by WeagleWeagle.com

Share your story or post a photo/video. The best contribution posted in this thread or on AUN's Facebook page wins a $25 Gift Card from one of our sponsors, Kinnucan's. A winner will be chosen Thursday.

Beat Bama and War Eagle!

d8db602207.jpg

Punt Bama, Punt...hands down.

AU Homer.

As a former AUMB member, I have to say the 2002 game, or the "Halftime of a Lifetime"...

The Million Dollar Band's director, Dr. Scott, was retiring after several years and this was her last home game. So they had a big tribute planned for her, and asked us to cut our halftime show a little short. Which we did - technically. What we also did was run over to the end zone in front of the Auburn section after our show and play the fight song and "Glory", completely on a whim. We climbed the steps back to our seats amongst the fans, high-fiving and cheering us all the way, and it's the closest I've ever felt to being a rock star. (That sweet 17-0 halftime lead helped, of course!)

Congratulations to WAR-GIGEM-EAGLE, who has won a $25 Kinnucan's gift card for his Iron Bowl story contribution. He is currently serving our country overseas. Click below to read his story and to see how he's supporting the Tigers as we head into the Iron Bowl.

http://www.aunation.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=62570

The 1989 game was an incredible experience. No one wanted to see Bama come into our house and win. The excitment was electric, I thought people were going to pass out, I've never been apart such an intense game.

I was an eighteen year old freshman in 1993. It was my first Iron Bowl in Auburn (although I had also been to the 1987 and 1988 wins in Birmingham). The team had started the season with a new coach and low expectations. We were on probation so the only people who saw us play that year were the ones in the stadium each week.

Many people just remember one play from this game, but the entire second half was exciting. Auburn was down 14-5 with 6:22 left in the third quarter. Our offense had not done much all day, but we were hoping senior quarterback Stan White would get something going. We were on the Alabama 29 and driving well when Stan White got sacked (loss of six yards) and was knocked out of the game. Enter reserve quarterback Patrick Nix with no time to warm up. It was fourth and fifteen on the Alabama 35. The play call was 278 Z Takeoff. Patrick threw it up, Frank Sanders made an amazing grab at the three then dove into the end-zone and the crowd went crazy. Add the PAT and we were only down by a pair. That is the play everyone always remember, even though it was in the third quarter and did not even give us the lead. It was, however, the classic example of a shift in momentum. A 26 yard field goal by Scott Etheridge gave us a 15-14 lead. Our defense made several big plays, including a Brian Robinson interception and a stop on fourth down as Alabama went for it to preserve the lead. With limited time in the fourth quarter, Auburn put together a good drive and got down to a first and goal from the Alabama three yard line. Three straight handoffs failed to get us in the endzone. Etheridge set up for a short field goal, but after the snap the holder tried to run it in but was stopped inches from the Alabama goal line. The score was still 15-14. Alabama began driving down the field until Dell McGhee intercepted the ball with 2:39 left in the game. The very next play was an amazing 70 yard touchdown run by James Bostic with 2:19 left. That put Auburn up 22-14. As time ticked away, Jim Fyffe yelled “Eleven and O, Eleven and O, Eleven and O†although of course I didn't hear it at the time since I was at the game.

The best defensive player of the game was Jason Miska, who recorded 12 tackles, including a pair of sacks. This victory was not an exciting last-minute-come-from-behind victory like some of the others, but this game was the cap on Auburn's 11-0 season my freshman year, and that, combined with a big play, gave it all the magic it needed. The 11-0 was the best we could do, because we were on probation, so there was no SEC Championship Game, no bowl game, no shot at a national title. Whatever else, the Tigers could say that no one beat them that season, and after the game, Terry said “Today I became an Auburn man.†There has been a lot of bad blood between Auburn and Terry since then, but whatever else people say, I believe that Terry truly loved Auburn that November day.

This is exactly what I was gonna write. Glad you did first, you did a better job. What a great year that was to be a freshman at Auburn.

Many people just remember one play from this game, but the entire second half was exciting. Auburn was down 14-5 with 6:22 left in the third quarter. Our offense had not done much all day, but we were hoping senior quarterback Stan White would get something going. We were on the Alabama 29 and driving well when Stan White got sacked (loss of six yards) and was knocked out of the game. Enter reserve quarterback Patrick Nix with no time to warm up. It was fourth and fifteen on the Alabama 35. The play call was 278 Z Takeoff. Patrick threw it up, Frank Sanders made an amazing grab at the three then dove into the end-zone and the crowd went crazy. Add the PAT and we were only down by a pair. That is the play everyone always remember, even though it was in the third quarter and did not even give us the lead. It was, however, the classic example of a shift in momentum. A 26 yard field goal by Scott Etheridge gave us a 15-14 lead. Our defense made several big plays, including a Brian Robinson interception and a stop on fourth down as Alabama went for it to preserve the lead. With limited time in the fourth quarter, Auburn put together a good drive and got down to a first and goal from the Alabama three yard line. Three straight handoffs failed to get us in the endzone. Etheridge set up for a short field goal, but after the snap the holder tried to run it in but was stopped inches from the Alabama goal line. The score was still 15-14. Alabama began driving down the field until Dell McGhee intercepted the ball with 2:39 left in the game. The very next play was an amazing 70 yard touchdown run by James Bostic with 2:19 left. That put Auburn up 22-14. As time ticked away, Jim Fyffe yelled “Eleven and O, Eleven and O, Eleven and O” although of course I didn't hear it at the time since I was at the game.

The best defensive player of the game was Jason Miska, who recorded 12 tackles, including a pair of sacks. This victory was not an exciting last-minute-come-from-behind victory like some of the others, but this game was the cap on Auburn's 11-0 season my freshman year, and that, combined with a big play, gave it all the magic it needed. The 11-0 was the best we could do, because we were on probation, so there was no SEC Championship Game, no bowl game, no shot at a national title. Whatever else, the Tigers could say that no one beat them that season, and after the game, Terry said “Today I became an Auburn man.” There has been a lot of bad blood between Auburn and Terry since then, but whatever else people say, I believe that Terry truly loved Auburn that November day.

This is exactly what I was gonna write. Glad you did first, you did a better job. What a great year that was to be a freshman at Auburn.

Yes, that had to be a special freshman year! And coming from 5-14 down at halftime to a 22-14 victory was especially sweet. We were at every home game that season, and for the away games, we saw it on the radio.

Archived