Hernandez wasn't the only one getting high

BZ770

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college_uf/2010/04/former-gator-talks-about-changed-marijuana-culture-at-florida.html#more-4659

Pierre-Louis estimates about 75 percent of the 2006 team smoked marijuana based on internal talk among players and teammates posting positive tests.

I thought Urban was the Disciplinarian.

Sorry, that generalization is a load of crap. I would bet that Bama doesn't even have 75% of its players using drugs, and they had a guy slinging coke out of the AC no more than 3 years ago. First, I'm betting that estimate is high (pun intended) at UF, and I'd bet that MOST teams have a vast minority of guys smoking. If you polled the guys who had smoked at some point in their lives, I might buy the 75%, but no way do I buy that as a number for guys using regularly.

Sorry, that generalization is a load of crap. I would bet that Bama doesn't even have 75% of its players using drugs, and they had a guy slinging coke out of the AC no more than 3 years ago. First, I'm betting that estimate is high (pun intended) at UF, and I'd bet that MOST teams have a vast minority of guys smoking. If you polled the guys who had smoked at some point in their lives, I might buy the 75%, but no way do I buy that as a number for guys using regularly.

I think you would be surprised. I'm not going to name names, or anything, but as a current student I would say a majority of the players do and I agree that is probably at just about every campus.

Speaking as someone who's not that far removed from college and spent a lot of time around football players...I respectfully disagree with you.

I graduated in 2005, and I spent a lot of time with football players too. I'll disagree with you.

It's a culture thing and thus a high percentage of college football players do drugs. 75% might be slightly high because the sample he took was biased. And Alabama is known to be among the leaders in these statistics, period.

It's a culture thing and thus a high percentage of college football players do drugs. 75% might be slightly high because the sample he took was biased. And Alabama is known to be among the leaders in these statistics, period.

Huh? Sounds like you're the one who's biased.

The drug use among major D1 programs doesn't vary from team to team, I guarantee you. Some may get caught more than others, but there are plenty using who never get caught.

And to your point, I'm not even sure we've had that many caught either, so I don't know where that's coming from. We had Brandon Avalos and Juwan Simpson. And then Ray Hudson had some on him, he swears it wasn't his, and he passed a drug test administered immediately after he got caught.

Sounds like you're just throwing crap out there because you don't like the football team.

Huh? Sounds like you're the one who's biased.

The drug use among major D1 programs doesn't vary from team to team, I guarantee you. Some may get caught more than others, but there are plenty using who never get caught.

And to your point, I'm not even sure we've had that many caught either, so I don't know where that's coming from. We had Brandon Avalos and Juwan Simpson. And then Ray Hudson had some on him, he swears it wasn't his, and he passed a drug test administered immediately after he got caught.

Sounds like you're just throwing crap out there because you don't like the football team.

The thing about Hudson, if he is in possession of it, its a POM 2 charge. Reguardless of whose weed it is. Im not sure what happened, im just going by your statement.

The thing about Hudson, if he is in possession of it, its a POM 2 charge. Reguardless of whose weed it is. Im not sure what happened, im just going by your statement.

My point was that we've only had a few in recent years actually found guilty of smoking weed. So the previous posters suggestion that Alabama is this bastion of weed smoking unlike any other in college athletics is unfounded and idiotic.

I'm a current student and I can honestly tell all of you that my generations' use of weed and alchohol is pretty much out of control, and I would guess at least 75% of the players on any given college team smoke weed.

I graduated in 2005, and I spent a lot of time with football players too. I'll disagree with you.

What campus were you on? Auburn is known for it's weed (at least in comparison to bama)

I graduated in 2000 and there was lots of weed in Auburn when I was there. I was in a Fraternity and I'd only say maybe 40% smoked weed and not all of those were regular tokers, ie a puff off a joint at a party every once in a while. But to me People who I new in College that were everyday smokers, were really lazy when it came to class and priorities, like the 7 year plan. My thoughts are that with Football they are on a strict schedule of class, studying, practice, team meetings etc. When people have structure in their lives it's hard to smoke dope every day. When you say 75% of a team smokes, then their would be lots of lost focus, then you'd think that the coach would take notice and do something about it.

I graduated in 2000 and there was lots of weed in Auburn when I was there. I was in a Fraternity and I'd only say maybe 40% smoked weed and not all of those were regular tokers, ie a puff off a joint at a party every once in a while. But to me People who I new in College that were everyday smokers, were really lazy when it came to class and priorities, like the 7 year plan. My thoughts are that with Football they are on a strict schedule of class, studying, practice, team meetings etc. When people have structure in their lives it's hard to smoke dope every day. When you say 75% of a team smokes, then their would be lots of lost focus, then you'd think that the coach would take notice and do something about it.

Slight misconception. The guys who smoke weed EVERY DAY are the ones who lack focus etc.

I only knew a couple of guys on the football team who smoked every single day. But I knew a lot of guys who would smoke after games or in the off season.

I was in Auburn, and I grew up in Starkville. I maintain that 75% is an exaggeration by a player that wanted to get his boy's back.

Here's what I mean: there are 85 scholarship players on the team, and there are more on the team than that. The 75% number means you have only 20-25 clean players on the entire team. That's just not true for most teams. Weed is around, and plenty of people smoke. But most people I've seen smoke don't do it with any regularity. That's from 23 years of living in two college towns. So I could be wrong, but my experience tells me that's just an attention getter. Not a reality.

Considering it says smoked marijuana and not smoked it regularly I would say the 75% is fairly accurate. I would say at least half of our team smokes at least once a month and probably more during the off season.

I'd really like to see some statistics on USC's team. I bet they're the highest team in college football since they're in California. :P

My point was that we've only had a few in recent years actually found guilty of smoking weed. So the previous posters suggestion that Alabama is this bastion of weed smoking unlike any other in college athletics is unfounded and idiotic.

I guess you're right, since, off the top of your head you can only name "a few" incidents in "recent years" where they were found guilty beyond all reasonable doubt. I'm sure that is the extent of it. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I don't understand why any athlete that has a chance to get paid millions for playing a sport would drink alcohol or smoke marijuana while they are still "trying out" for the pros.

Bottom line, it happens. It happens alot, not just with players but with college students in general. I would say most of my friends from college either smoked, or tried a few times in school. As for 75% of players smoking, eh maybe not that much. Im sure 75% have at least tried it, but I think more around the 30% or 40% smoke often. Im sure it happens more often during the off season, mainly because they arent training everyday (at least not as hard as the regular season). Who knows, start a poll, ask random football players around the SEC. That would be an interesting article.

I guess you're right, since, off the top of your head you can only name "a few" incidents in "recent years" where they were found guilty beyond all reasonable doubt. I'm sure that is the extent of it. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Do you have any proof (besides your own blinding bias) to back up your original claim?

Of course you dont. You just hate Alabama...so of COURSE there must be something different about them than EVERY OTHER major D1 school in the country.

I don't understand why any athlete that has a chance to get paid millions for playing a sport would drink alcohol or smoke marijuana while they are still "trying out" for the pros.

I would think that on the Collegiate level you'd want to be at the top of your game with your body and Pot doesn't fit into that equation.

I would think that on the Collegiate level you'd want to be at the top of your game with your body and Pot doesn't fit into that equation.

Agreed! That's why I knew Ronnie and Cadillac would go far. I never saw them partying. I think, foe example, KI would have done better had he enjoyed college night life less, but I guess he still did pretty good for himself, that is after the coaches finally realized KI > Tre Smith :rolleyes:

Archived