'60 Minutes' piece on Judge Pickering

TitanTiger

This was an excellent piece on '60 Minutes' last night. You really should follow the link and read the entire thing. It really makes the Dems look stupid. I did want to reprint this key section though. It's a conversation between Charles Evers, brother of slain civil rights leader Medgar Evers, and the president of the Mississippi NAACP. Talk about having your ass handed to you:

Several past presidents of the NAACP in Mississippi support Pickering. But today's NAACP leaders do not. Some feel the seat should go to a black judge. The national NAACP issued a statement, calling Pickering hostile to its priorities, and all its branches in Mississippi oppose the judge.

But when Clarence McGee, who heads the NAACP in Hattiesburg, sat down for 60 Minutes with a Pickering supporter, Charles Evers, brother of murdered civil rights leader Medgar Evers, the NAACP president got an earful:

Charles Evers: You know, maybe you don't know, you know that Charles Pickering is a man helped us to break the Ku Klux Klan.  Did you know that?

Clarence McGee:  I heard that statement made.

Charles Evers:  I mean, I know that.  Do you know that?

Clarence McGee:  I don't know that. 

Charles Evers:  I know that.   Do you know about the young black man that was accused of  robbing the young white woman.  You know about that?

Clarence McGee:  Nope.

Charles Evers:  So Charles Pickering took the case.  Came to trial and won the case and the young man became free.

Clarence McGee:  I don't know about that.

Charles Evers:  But did you also know that Charles Pickering is the man who helped integrate his churches. You know about that?

Clarence McGee: No.

Charles Evers:  Well, you don't know a thing about Charles Pickering.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/03/25/...ain608667.shtml

bump. I'd like for some of the resident Dems to offer some explanation as to why they think Judge Pickering should still be blocked in light of what we know and what was brought out in this 60 Minutes piece.

Honestly, I always thought blocking the judges was a stupid political game that can be easily turned around someday.

Archived