Saving seats in the student section

AUTigerCourt

The student section will never be expanded for the reasons mentioned...regular ticket prices mean too much.

As others stated, if the criteria for checking student IDs was enforced, there might be less students making it so cramped. Also, I have heard there are a lot of people getting student tickets who are no longer a student, but using their school ID because it has not expired. For example you have people that dropped out or graduated say a year ago or so, not currently enrolled, but are still somehow getting these tickets and then flash their unexpired ID when they are actually checked.

BTW...what is the actual number of student tickets sold for each home game? Why is the school selling more than the section can hold?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would they expand the student section? They get in for dirt cheap compared to Alumni. I'm not saying it shouldn't be expanded, but I imagine their revenues would go down if they did.

Exactly why it hasn't been done, and more than likely won't.

I disagree. The students are home field advantage defined. Why would you want more of them in the stadium? The better question is, why wouldn't you?

As to how you make the math work, the answer is you add more seats to the stadium. In fact, the need for more student tickets was a big reason cited in UAT's recent expansions.

Why would they expand the student section? They get in for dirt cheap compared to Alumni. I'm not saying it shouldn't be expanded, but I imagine their revenues would go down if they did.

I disagree. The students are home field advantage defined. Why would you want more of them in the stadium? The better question is, why wouldn't you?

As to how you make the math work, the answer is you add more seats to the stadium. In fact, the need for more student tickets was a big reason cited in UAT's recent expansions.

They only way this happens is to add upper deck all away around the stadium like Neylend.

If you go back to checking the photo on the ID you end up with a much emptier student section. The vast majority of people buying student tickets are still students, they just didn't get that game.

If you check the photo on the ID then you can't sell the tickets to others. So the students that are forced to try and scramble and scrape money to afford said student tickets will purchase them.

Kinda my point with doing that, no longer have students that buy student tickets for the sole purpose of selling them which there are alot that do that. Mean I've seen groups of 40 plus Georgia fans entering the AU student section before.

I think it sucks for students that didnt get tickets because they are freshmen and some grad student that doesn't care about football gets them and sells them for 100 plus a game.

Student section will never be empty. Except for some of the poorer games or blow outs in second half.

I'm part of a group that's guilty of this, and I feel bad about it and apologize to you. I am never the one they are being saved for, and feel extremely uncomfortable when asked to do it. I sit in a group of about 50 people and about 25 of us normally are there when the gates open, so it's not THAT bad. Add the fact that we are in the endzone and I don't think what we are doing is that terrible. I still wish people would get there on time though. It's not fair that some people have to wait 2 hours inside, and sometimes an hour outside, while others get to stroll in whenever they want. Really there just needs to be a better system for the SS. I honestly don't know what it is. I don't think we can expand it because for smaller games it's not even close to full. Maybe if we expanded and lowered ticket prices to 5 per game that would work, but they won't do this because we would lose a ton of money. The only other thing I can think of is assigned seats, or assigned sections. Or possibly opening the gates 30 minutes to an hour later. Then students could go to tiger walk!

Seeing that many opposing fans in the student section disheartens me as much as the next guy (last year I almost couldn't stand the Bama game) but by checking the pictures I feel like they'd need to sell games individually to keep the student section full. Things come up, people can't make games. That place needs to be as full as possible every game to keep the same intensity.

The only other thing I can think of is assigned seats, or assigned sections.

This was how it was done when I was in school ('87-'90) and it was ignored more often than not, although I made every effort to get to my particular seat. My freshman year we did get a book of individual tickets just like the ones that season ticket holders get...after that, we got season ticket cards that were hole-punched by the game. There were no names on them or anything.

The frats saving seats in blocks was a nuisance then and apparently it hasn't changed much. At $4/game, I wasn't complaining much one way or the other as long as I got in.

The stadium is the perfect size. No need for expansion. The Iron Bowl was the only sellout last season. The only games that sellout are big ones. Those two sections on either side of the east upper deck added before the 2004 season are rarely full. It would look foolish to expand to 100,000, then have half the games with 20,000 empty seats.

The money would be better spent remodeling. Bricking around the iron facade on the outside of each endzone would look so much better. Cleaning up the outside concrete and expanding the concourses would be a nice addition too.

I don't think we're ready to expand the stadium yet, but I think that with the increase in size of the student body, the student section should be expanded. I would be interested in seeing data comparing the size of the student section in other SEC stadiums compared to ours. Yes the alumni pay more money, as they should, but the students are the ones who are bringing most of the noise!

Get rid of "spirit point" sections. First come, first serve.

Problem solved.

If there was justice in this world, this would happen.

If someone wanted to go on an archeological hunt you could find my opinion on this from a few years back but I wholeheartedly disagree. Please keep in mind that maybe 50% of reserved seating actually goes to fraternities. If I remember correctly from back in 2004, there is also reserved seating for SGA, ROTC, and many other student organizations that are not greek.

The fraternities and organizations put in a lot of work to earn those seats that normal students don't. They go to sporting events other than football, they show up to pep rally's and they participate in parade's etc... These are all things that independent students could do, but they rarely do. There will be a few independent students at pep rallys and other sporting events (usually baseball and basketball don't count, just on one or two specific nights) but the greeks far outnumber them. If there were no spirit points, there would be no homecoming parade, and no pep rallies but student tickets would be first come first serve.

Secondly, there is nothing stopping other students from forming a group SOLELY for the purpose of getting reserved seating. If that many students are really that upset about this, surely they can go and earn spirit points themselves and force some of the smaller fraternities out. But they don't. They just sit at home and complain rather than taking an active role and participating. These people do not deserve reserved seating, I'm sorry.

Just as background, I am completely biased, I was the person responsible for my fraternity first earning spirit points back in 2004. I was also in the marching band and didn't even sit in the seats that I led them to earning. It takes a lot of effort to get people out to some of these events in any significant numbers and we were up against organizations much larger than our own.

Get rid of "spirit point" sections. First come, first serve.

Problem solved.

If there was justice in this world, this would happen.

If someone wanted to go on an archeological hunt you could find my opinion on this from a few years back but I wholeheartedly disagree. Please keep in mind that maybe 50% of reserved seating actually goes to fraternities. If I remember correctly from back in 2004, there is also reserved seating for SGA, ROTC, and many other student organizations that are not greek.

The fraternities and organizations put in a lot of work to earn those seats that normal students don't. They go to sporting events other than football, they show up to pep rally's and they participate in parade's etc... These are all things that independent students could do, but they rarely do. There will be a few independent students at pep rallys and other sporting events (usually baseball and basketball don't count, just on one or two specific nights) but the greeks far outnumber them. If there were no spirit points, there would be no homecoming parade, and no pep rallies but student tickets would be first come first serve.

Secondly, there is nothing stopping other students from forming a group SOLELY for the purpose of getting reserved seating. If that many students are really that upset about this, surely they can go and earn spirit points themselves and force some of the smaller fraternities out. But they don't. They just sit at home and complain rather than taking an active role and participating. These people do not deserve reserved seating, I'm sorry.

Just as background, I am completely biased, I was the person responsible for my fraternity first earning spirit points back in 2004. I was also in the marching band and didn't even sit in the seats that I led them to earning. It takes a lot of effort to get people out to some of these events in any significant numbers and we were up against organizations much larger than our own.

And these same people that attend events just for spirit points leave at halftime. It's so embarrassing and tacky to see huge groups of frats leave basketball games, volleyball games, etc. at the half after their spirit points have been counted. They should be required to check in at the beginning and end of an event to receive the points. I was a member of the marching and pep bands for the last several years. This is my first year not in band.

Oh, and it's been several years since there's been a parade on campus-- I want to say the 2005 Beat Bama Parade because I can't remember if there was a Burn the Bulldogs Parade in 2006 or not. There definitely hasn't been one since the 2007 season. This would be a great year to bring back the Burn the Bulldogs Parade! I'm not sure why the parades have disappeared the last several years. The 2005 Wreck Tech Parade was great!

Oh no, I would be all for expanding the student section!

And as far as checking the IDs, the university really helped the cause of selling your tickets because they started the Ignited cards which are now the student tickets which still have pictures but do not carry meal plans and momma and daddy's money.

Personally, I wouldn't want them checking IDs now that I've graduated that way I can still get in :thumbsup:

My daughter is a Freshman and tickets sold out in under 5 minutes the day they became available. Once she got to school she ended up paying a little under $400 to another student to use his card for the games. There were a ton of them advertised on Craigslist and Ebay. My suggestion is once the normal student section sells out make some of the tickets in the upper deck corners available to students at the student rate.

As freshmen with no prior hours at Auburn you get last pick of the tickets. I was lucky enough to get a full season my freshmen year and once you get beyond that every other year you're basically guaranteed the season.

If you(or your friends)are willing to sell your seat for 200+. Get off your butt and show up before kickoff!Instead of looking like my avatar!!!!

Sorry, but I don't buy the argument that the Greek organizations deserve those seats anymore than a student who decided to not go Greek. Sure, some of the frats do actually do some community work and other stuff for the school, but even of those frats that do that, how many of those members area actually contributing and "deserving" all those seats being reserved? You are also assuming that a non-Greek student does nothing for the community or the school on their own.

I don't see where any AU student is more important than another, regardless of what organization they choose to be a part of or not.

I am an Army veteran, and I don't go around saying I deserve preferential treatment over somebody that never served, even if some government organizations say I do.

Agree with you buddy, you got there in plenty of time to get the best student seats in the house...

Question to the current students...

If you are a Freshmen can you get season tickets?

Because it would seriously bother me if Freshmen can't get tickets, but a foreign grad student that has no interest in the game can get them just to sell them for an outrageous profit to opposing fans.

Sorry, but I don't buy the argument that the Greek organizations deserve those seats anymore than a student who decided to not go Greek. Sure, some of the frats do actually do some community work and other stuff for the school, but even of those frats that do that, how many of those members area actually contributing and "deserving" all those seats being reserved? You are also assuming that a non-Greek student does nothing for the community or the school on their own.

I don't see where any AU student is more important than another, regardless of what organization they choose to be a part of or not.

I am an Army veteran, and I don't go around saying I deserve preferential treatment over somebody that never served, even if some government organizations say I do.

So, do I deserve VA benefits since I never severed in the Army? Should I be allowed to shop in the PX? Of course not. Is it preferential treatment that you get these benefits? Of course not, you earned them.

The reserved seating isn't just for Greeks, it is for all student organizations, so to say "You are also assuming that a non-Greek student does nothing for the community or the school on their own." is highly inaccurate. Since Greeks participate in this program more than other student organizations, it is unfair to may them the poster child for your frustrations.

So, do I deserve VA benefits since I never severed in the Army? Should I be allowed to shop in the PX? Of course not. Is it preferential treatment that you get these benefits? Of course not, you earned them.

The reserved seating isn't just for Greeks, it is for all student organizations, so to say "You are also assuming that a non-Greek student does nothing for the community or the school on their own." is highly inaccurate. Since Greeks participate in this program more than other student organizations, it is unfair to may them the poster child for your frustrations.

Exactly, you first need to understand, Ranger, that the greeks don't get preferential treatment, any group of students can earn spirit points and reserved seating, the greeks are just the ones that put in the work to actually do it.

Question to the current students...

If you are a Freshmen can you get season tickets?

Because it would seriously bother me if Freshmen can't get tickets, but a foreign grad student that has no interest in the game can get them just to sell them for an outrageous profit to opposing fans.

The system is based on hours earned at Auburn, so foreign grads, transfers, and incoming freshmen get the same treatment. However, 2 hours earned will get you ordering 13 days prior and 1 hour 12 days prior.

Day Date Earned Hours

Tue June 22 120

Wed June 23 101

Thurs June 24 89

Mon June 28 75

Wed June 30 68

Thurs July 1 59

Tue July 6 46

Wed July 7 41

Thurs July 8 37

Tue July 13 27

Wed July 14 2

Thurs July 15 1

Tue July 27 Incoming Freshmen and Transfer Students

Very few people actually realize this, but the best chance for freshmen or transfers is not only try on the 27th, but also check on the 18th, 19th, and 20th of August because alot of people order them on their day but release them if they cant sell them to unlucky freshmen before having the bill put on their bursar account. Trust me, I used this method to get my fiancee tickets when she transferred.

Exactly, you first need to understand, Ranger, that the greeks don't get preferential treatment, any group of students can earn spirit points and reserved seating, the greeks are just the ones that put in the work to actually do it.

I think it's more due to the number of greeks that they just stand out more. There are plenty of other organizations that do put in work and get their spots, they just aren't as obvious (due to no pledges, lower numbers, dress). And all these organizations have their traditional spots that they get every year regardless of the number of points they get.

I've done both sides of the coin in the stadium and never had a issue with seating ever but it has gotten worse over the years. But I would go early cause I knew that seating would be a pain in the ass especially for certain games. So if going over 2 hours early was what it took, then I did it and with the understanding that by kickoff it was gonna be a squeeze no matter where I was.

Well that's just it. Who said the Greeks (and whomever else) have actually earned it anymore than the rest of us? Why should a student have to join (or start) an organization in order to even have the right to try to have a good reserved seat? Sorry but I'll take NOT joining a frat to study and actually do what we at Auburn ought to be doing, rather than joining an organization that boasts average GPA's that are often well south of a 3.0. Are Greeks the only ones that go to other sporting events? As someone noted, they get their points halfway through the event. Maybe if regular students had such a ridiculous standard for "earning" preferential treatment they would do that too.

The system is based on hours earned at Auburn, so foreign grads, transfers, and incoming freshmen get the same treatment....

Thanks ValleyTiger, that's good information. I never knew that in all my time on the Plains.

Archived