Greatest AU game ever

drewau02

I know that there are many, but what do you consider to be the greatest game in Auburn football history? Keep in mind that this discussion requires that you at least were alive and understood the magnitude of Auburn football when the Tigers achieved the great win. What great Auburn victory made you feel complete as an Auburn Tiger?

For me, it was a brisk November day back in 1993. Going into the game with a 10-0 record, the experts predicted that Auburn's immaculate and improbably season would come to an end with a loss to arch-rival Alabama. For 2 1/2 quarters, the experts were right. Sitting in my grandmother's living room and listening to an Alabama 14-5 lead over Auburn, I was suddenly rejuvinated on a fourth and fifteen play, a play that resembled our dream season. To quote the late great Jim Fyffe on this one, "Nix drops back to pass, he floats one up for Sanders, and Sanders, ohhhhhhhhhhh he caught it at the two, and he dives in, TOUCHDOWN AUBURN, TOUCHDOWN AUBURN, TOUCHDOWN AUBURN!!!!! Folks, Auburn's right back in the thick of it!!!"

The rest of the game was truly classic. James Bostic's long touchdown run sealed the deal and the 11-0 season. I was 14 at the time and I had witnessed SEC Championships and several victories over Alabama but never an undefeated season. The final victory over the defending national champions, and the team that we had not beaten in three years, to clinch an 11-0 season was truly a moment in my life that has not been replicated since. Actually, I don't know if I can ever feel as good about Auburn football as I felt on that November day. The feeling was truly that great! Maybe a national championship for Auburn would be a better moment but I don't know. There was just something special about that game, team, and season. It was just one of those once in a lifetime moments where the earth stood still and everything was good.

Feel free to share some of your favorite Auburn victories.

War Eagle!

Punt uat Punt was my FIRST AU game!

The win over FL in '93 was sweet!

EVERY win over the criminoles was fun!

drewauo2....there is a similar post just down the page with 4 pages of responses. You may want to read those.

Repeating myself form there but my #1 is 17-16, Punt Bama Punt

It was a mismatch, but the most ENJOYABLE game (not the greatest) was the 40-0 thrashing of Alabama to sew up the National Championship in 1957.

I knew a Bama basketball player who said he tried to pump the Tide football guys up (back in the days of athletic dorms) that week, going around saying, "You can do it! C'mon! Get in there and whip 'em!" What he said he got back was, "Are you crazy?"

The Greatest AU game ever was the Iron Bowl in 1989. Wish I could have been there!

I didn't see the other thread below, sorry! I don't look that far down sometimes. I saw a worst game threat below and that inspired me to post a best game thread. Oh well.

Archived