Cecil Newton issues statement re: Heisman ceremony

TitanTiger

I think it will still be a distraction when the ESPN jackwagons won't stop asking him about his father.

Well, some distraction is inevitable. But Cecil being there would make is a bonafide three-ring circus. And that fat sack of crap Shane would probably cash in all his Keystone Light cans and sell his trailer to be up there and ask him some asinine question to embarrass him publicly.

It'll be interesting to see if there's a big bush moving from one part of the room to the next like in a cartoon.

:roflol:

That'd be pretty funny.

Maybe I'm the only one who thinks this way but Cecil burned his right to be there when he shopped his son around. No one should feel bad that he doesn't get to be there.

Maybe I'm the only one who thinks this way but Cecil burned his right to be there when he shopped his son around. No one should feel bad that he doesn't get to be there.

My thoughts on that are that we have no right to say what Cecil's rights are in regard to his son. I feel like it is Cecil's right to be there should Cam wish him to be.

For what it's worth, here's the statement from Cecil Newton through his attourney:

"The events to take place in New York at the Heisman Trophy ceremony this weekend will serve as a crowning moment for the athletes and their families alike.

"For all of my fifty years of life, coupled with 25 years of marriage, I have made an exhausting attempt to be a good husband, father, and generally a good person of integrity. The past 60 days have caused all that my family worked to accomplish to come into question."

"So that my son Cam Newton can receive all the honors and congratulations that he has worked so hard to accomplish and without distraction, I have decided not to be in attendance at the Heisman ceremony, as it will perhaps rob Cam and the event of a sacred moment."

With Deepest Respect,

Cecil Newton

Found at al.com / Birmingham news: http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2010/12/cam_newtons_father_says_he_won.html

Save yourselves the cerebral pain of reading any of the comments at that link. Or, for that matter, any link at al.com

In my opinion, which admittedly counts for naught, I think this is a good move. The media feeding frenzy would be extraordinarily distracting on an otherwise outstanding night.

He didn't "shop his son around." He discussed accepting money from one program: Mississippi State...likely because a crook like Kenny Rogers suggested it to him. That doesn't burn your right to be with your son at an award presentation.

Very sad indeed, but, God teaches us to LOVE the "sinner" and hate the SIN. He has already been "punished" and I imagine will live with it the rest of his life. I pray he and his son can work through this and go on with their lives. I wish that family only good things.:au:

Very sad indeed, but, God teaches us to LOVE the "sinner" and hate the SIN. He has already been "punished" and I imagine will live with it the rest of his life. I pray he and his son can work through this and go on with their lives. I wish that family only good things.:au:

Cam spoke very highly of his father despite all the mess in his ESPN interview.

From Phillip, public content.

THE EVENTS TO TAKE PLACE IN NEW YORK AT THE HEISMAN TROPHY CEREMONY THIS WEEKEND SERVE AS A CROWNING MOMENT FOR THE ATHELETS AND THEIR FAMILIES ALIKE.

FOR ALL OF MY FIFTY YEARS OF LIFE, COUPLED WITH 25 YEARS OF MARRIAGE, I HAVE MADE AN EXHAUSTING ATTEMPT TO BE A GOOD HUSBAND, FATHER, AND GENERALLY A GOOD PERSON OF INTEGRITY. THE PAST 60 DAYS HAVE CAUSED ALL THAT MY FAMILY WORKED TO ACCOMPLISH TO COME INTO QUESTION.

SO THAT MY SON CAM NEWTON CAN RECEIVE ALL THE HONORS AND CONGRAGULATIONS THAT HE HAS WORKED SO HARD TO ACCOMPLISH WIHTOUT DISTRACTION, I HAVE DECIDED NOT TO BE IN ATTENDANCE AT THE HEISMAN CEREMONY; AS IT WILL PERHAPS ROB CAM AND THE EVENT OF A SACRED MOMENT.

WITH DEEPEST RESPECT,

CECIL NEWTON

He didn't "shop his son around." He discussed accepting money from one program: Mississippi State...likely because a crook like Kenny Rogers suggested it to him. That doesn't burn your right to be with your son at an award presentation.

AMEN!!!

Very sad indeed, but, God teaches us to LOVE the "sinner" and hate the SIN. He has already been "punished" and I imagine will live with it the rest of his life. I pray he and his son can work through this and go on with their lives. I wish that family only good things.au2.gif

and AMEN!!

Though it is sad that his dad will not be in attendance, I think it is a good decision given the media circus.

I think it is short-sighted to say that Cam's dad doesn't deserve to see his son recognized with one of the highest honors in college football.

The fact that his family is sticking together is the most important thing. You don't turn your back on family no matter what. They will come through this and be much stronger.

Archived