Tommy Tuberville

aufan1984

As much as I liked Tommy Tuberville as a coach it always bothered me when he (and his agent) would act like at the end of every season that he was going to leave for another job. We would give him a raise and he would stay. I saw on ESPN that he has been contacted for the Miami job. Is it that time of year again for Tubs and Sexton to try to get more money out of Texas Tech?

Why would Miami want CTT? At 56 he is a bit long in the tooth. Recruiting wasn't his strong point late in his AU career. Can you duck hunt in the Everglades??? :blink:

Miami would be fortunate to get Tubs. He can't recruit? You better look at how mamy starters on our team were recruited by Tubs. You should get over the guy taking a hunnting trip every year during a dead time in recruiting. You seem to be as ignorant about the facts as the media is about Cam.

Why would Miami want CTT? At 56 he is a bit long in the tooth. Recruiting wasn't his strong point late in his AU career. Can you duck hunt in the Everglades??? :blink:

Miami would be fortunate to get Tubs. He can't recruit? You better look at how mamy starters on our team were recruited by Tubs. You should get over the guy taking a hunnting trip every year during a dead time in recruiting. You seem to be as ignorant about the facts as the media is about Cam.

Amen!! Thank you

Amen!! Thank you

I second that Amen!!! Good luck Tubbs. Hope you get the U job!!

Would he really want to coach in Miami? They have an awful fanbase and don't sell out games any more. If I were a coach, fan support would be a big priority for me.

As far as CTT's recruiting, isn't he a large part of why our incredible o line is heading to the BCSNG?

Tub is a great defensive coach, but I don't think he will be offered the job. Shannon was a defensive-minded coach. Tub is out of the same mold.

I think Miami goes for someone with more creative offensive ideas and younger because he will have to try to out-recruit Jimbo Fisher and whoever FLA hires (and you know it's going to be a big name, and I still think Stoops is the top candidate).

At this point, Miami is almost a lateral move from Lubbock. That's how far the U has fallen.

If I were the Miami AD, I'd go hard after Chris Petersen at Boise State.

Yep. That's the ticket. Knock a guy for trying to get paid as much as possible. :rolleyes: THAT is the free market goal. And, I am a big fan of a free market, so long as there is a level playing field. We owe much to CTT and I will be forever grateful to the man and all that he did for AU.

p.s. Raven, how in the world have you survived AU's success this year? I would have bet you and bg would have been hanging out on the same "ledge"! ! ! :roflol::roflol:

Texas Tech may be a lateral move in terms of current status of the program, but Texas Tech only dreams of where Miami has already been. If they're not getting good attendance, I suspect that has more to do with the fact that they haven't done much in quite awhile. However, I can remember a time when plenty of folks were clad in "U" gear all the way up here in southwest Georgia.

The only reason I could envision Tuberville passing on Miami, if they offer, is if he happens to like being closer to his home in Arkansas. He was a part of Miami in their heyday, surely he'd otherwise accept the challenge of getting their program back on track.

yawn. I'll take Chizik over Tubby any day. CTT is a perennial 7-5/8-4 coach...what is TT record this year? Chizik did what Tubby could only talked about(not the pinebox deal)...a MNC appearance. Right, 2004. If not for the colossal failure (read lack of consistency)in 2003, we may have had a shot at a MNC...but no. How many NFL players did we have on that team? First round picks??? And all we have to point at is the 2004 SECC and a Sugar Bowl win? I've stated all this before. Bottom line: I was not the only person who felt like CTT was underachieving that's why Jetgate occurred then CTT was replaced by Chizik. If that was not the case, then CTT would still be here. We are much better off right now. Any argument with that statement?

CTT ten year stint:

BCS bowl appearances: 1

SEC Championships: 1

Looks like Gene has him covered in his SECOND year... :thumbsup:

WDE

Yep. That's the ticket. Knock a guy for trying to get paid as much as possible. :rolleyes: THAT is the free market goal. And, I am a big fan of a free market, so long as there is a level playing field. We owe much to CTT and I will be forever grateful to the man and all that he did for AU.

p.s. Raven, how in the world have you survived AU's success this year? I would have bet you and bg would have been hanging out on the same "ledge"! ! ! :roflol::roflol:

Some people (me) expected more from the program...now it has been realized. Never settle for mediocrity.

Thanks Coach Chizik and Co. :thumbsup:

Chizik has been here two years. One year, we went 8-5. One year, we had a great season. You'd be hard pressed to find actual proof that Chizik is anything more than an 8-win coach having a great year.

Also, you'd be hard pressed to actually prove Tubs is a 7/8-win coach. In his time at Auburn, we won 9 or more games in 2000, 2002, 2004, 2005, and 2006. But hey, don't let facts get in the way of irrational dislike.

As for Tubs and the U, of course he'd want to coach there. It's a better gig than Tech, and he's got history with the place. In the last 20 years or so, only two coaches at the U failed to win a national title. Butch Davis and Randy Shannon. Davis would've won a title if he stayed to finish his work. It's a place you can win and win big. I can see why the U would want him. He's won and won big and won consistently every place he's been. He's coached there in the glory years. He's a better coach than Randy Shannon. It would be a good fit, but I don't expect it to happen.

You'd be hard pressed to find actual proof that Chizik is anything more than an 8-win coach having a great year.

That 8-win year came after inheriting a 5-win team.

The re-creation of history suggesting these negative angles for CTT is stunning. CTT was every bit as good a coach as e.g. Urban Meyer, difference is the media hype that got UF titles in 2 seasons where they were not undefeated in either...including losing to CTT... was media hypte missing for AU in 2004. CTT also inherited much more of a rebuilding situation post-tator tot than Meyer post zook @ UF.

IMO CTT also was kicked out by auburn for the same reasons the myth left UF...CTT just tried to hang on too long after the post-'04 burn out set in. Look for meyer to get back IN to coaching just as quickly as CTT too.

and anybody that doesn't think UM should be interested in CTT for his defensive and administrative "CEO" brilliance if nothing else blindly hates CTT. ironically I think CTT's worst coaching job as an assistant was his last year @ UM.

meta, you're absolutely right. My point was simple: we have no idea what Chizik is or is going to be. He's in his second year at Auburn. This might be a blip on the radar. It might be the norm. There's really no way to know.

As for the "he averaged blah, blah, blah" argument, that just further proves that he was NOT a 7/8 win coach. In his time at Auburn his win totals: 5, 9, 7, 9, 8, 13, 9, 11, 9 (I forgot we won 9 games in 2007), and 5. The average may be in the 8.5, but it's pretty clear from that list that the norm was not 7/8 wins. He had as many years with 5-wins (two) as he had in that 7/8-win window. He had as many double digit win seasons as well. Seems like the norm was 9 wins.

I'm not bashing Chizik at all. I just think the revisionist history on Tubs is... strange. And kind of inappropriate.

PS. I don't think Tubs is as good as Meyer. That's an overstatement. Meyer would be the best coach in Auburn history. Urban really is a legend. There are very, very few guys in his weight class when he fully engaged. That said, I think Tubs (in his best years) was a Top Ten coach in the entire country. If both guys are fully tuned in, I'd take him over Bob Stoops.

CTT was every bit as good a coach as e.g. Urban Meyer

You're high.

In face to face matchups Tubs has proven better than Myers or Saban. Who was the only team to beat Florida's last NC team?

I understand Myer's success but take Tim Tebow out of his time at Florida and tell me how much of a "legend" he would've been. I'm sure the same can be said for Chizik's time at AU as well.

What was Tubs record just in the SEC? My reason for asking is simple. Too many coaches inflate their W-L record by scheduling patsies every single year. Offhand, I do not know what Tubs record was in the SEC and would like to know.

Look, guys, Tub did a LOT of good for AU and deserves some credit for the success of this year. But, let's be honest...the embers within him were dimly lit toward the end. Be that as it may, I wish him well, as I am sure most AU fans do.

What was Tubs record just in the SEC? My reason for asking is simple. Too many coaches inflate their W-L record by scheduling patsies every single year. Offhand, I do not know what Tubs record was in the SEC and would like to know.

Look, guys, Tub did a LOT of good for AU and deserves some credit for the success of this year. But, let's be honest...the embers within him were dimly lit toward the end. Be that as it may, I wish him well, as I am sure most AU fans do.

12-20 at Ole miss

52-30 at Auburn, with 2-6 bookends

Archived