Tommy Tuberville

aufan1984

I understand Myer's success but take Tim Tebow out of his time at Florida and tell me how much of a "legend" he would've been. I'm sure the same can be said for Chizik's time at AU as well.

Florida was loaded on Defense so I wouldn't sell them short on their records if they would not of had Tebow.

Look at what Urban did every stop along the way. He won a conference title at Bowling Green. He went undefeated at Utah (and had the number one pick in the NFL draft). Then he won a national title at UF with Chris freaking Leak as his starting QB (not Tebow, he was just a role player on that team). Then he won another national title and coaced a Heisman winner. Um, he's a legend with or without Tebow. Also, I think it's silly to say "yeah but he had this guy!" He recruited Tebow (part of coaching). He developed Tebow (part of coaching). He tailored his offense to Tebow (part of coaching). And he won with Tebow (part of coaching).

As for Tubs, 30 games over .500 in the SEC during his middle years at Auburn (neither coming in or going out). That's impressive.

Can we not refer to Chaz Ramsey as "chop block" or say that a guy who had to give up football for health reasons "lost it"? That's a little harsh. I'm not sure who the other stud OL were supposed to be. Jermaine Johnson signed like 10 more times but never qualified. Jared Cooper will probably start next year. Nick Fairley went to Junior College, went defense full-time, came back, and won the Lombardi award. Wait, you knew that already? Oh, okay.

According to the stats posted above, Tub's winning percentage in the SEC, while at AU, was 63%. I'm not dogging Tub, seriously, but I want more than that for AU. But, as I have already said, I wish him well. He is a good guy and did a lot of good for AU.

Pat Dye's record at Auburn 99-39-4 (71.1% wins)

Tommy Tuberville's record at Auburn 85-40 (68.0% wins)

# of times on probation during Pat Dye's tenure =1

# of times on probation during Tommy Tuberville's tenure =0

# of times Pat Dye was involved with trying to oust AU's coach after he left =1

# of times Tommy Tuberville was involved with trying to oust AU's coach after he left =0

So Pat Dye had a 3.1% higher winning percentage but got us put on probation and then helped to orchestrate Jetgate and yet many of you people like him and hate CTT. Whatever. Personally, I am embarrassed that we named the field after Pat Dye.

So I guess just like Bama fans we're capable of eating our own as well.

Tuberville took over a program that was as bad as I have ever seen it and turned it around. Sure the wheels fell off during his final year, something that still baffles me to this day, but he was a great coach for Auburn. For that I thank him and wish no ill of him.

Oh and it wasn't always Tuberville acting like he was leaving for another job. Bama fans (led by Finebaum usually) were the driving force on all those rumors.

For me, the problem with Tuberville is that there were problems brewing with some of the coaches performance and recruiting in the same areas for several years and he didn't make any changes, so performance and recruiting got worse. If he had replaced Hugh Nall with someone like Jeff Grimes, Terry Price with someone like Trooper Taylor, and Al Borges with someone like Gus Malzahn, then Tuberville would probably still be coaching Auburn. Firing someone is never easy, but it was Tuberville's responsibility to do what was best for the program above personal loyalty and that is where he failed Auburn. He was a success in every other regard.

For me, the problem with Tuberville is that there were problems brewing with some of the coaches performance and recruiting in the same areas for several years and he didn't make any changes, so performance and recruiting got worse. If he had replaced Hugh Nall with someone like Jeff Grimes, Terry Price with someone like Trooper Taylor, and Al Borges with someone like Gus Malzahn, then Tuberville would probably still be coaching Auburn. Firing someone is never easy, but it was Tuberville's responsibility to do what was best for the program above personal loyalty and that is where he failed Auburn. He was a success in every other regard.

Your larger point may be correct that Tub held on to his position coaches so long. However I think your specifics are a bit off. Hugh Nall was a very good line coach (terrible OC, but good line coach) and Al Borges was a good OC. IMO, Tub should have been more loyal to Borges, who repeatedly did a fantastic job, then had one bad season and Tubs fired him. I think Greg Knox (WRs and recruiting) was the most underachieving of the bunch.

Archived