Great pic from facebook...

Gray

Caption: Future...Present.

165352_139931606061699_100001345802411_201367_4703268_n.jpg

Here's hopin' Kiehl asked Cam to stay one more year to show him the ropes ;)

I'm also hearing that a multitude of recruits attended the banquet. Talk about one heck of a recruiting tool.

Great pic!

Now, that part about Cam staying another year: To do so would be insane on his part. Trotter is good enough to help us win a bunch of games. If the overhauled O and D lines can cut it, we'll be fine. If they can't, even Cam himself won't be much help.

Great pic!

Now, that part about Cam staying another year: To do so would be insane on his part. Trotter is good enough to help us win a bunch of games. If the overhauled O and D lines can cut it, we'll be fine. If they can't, even Cam himself won't be much help.

Why would that be insane. Even mel kiper jr says he should stay one more year

Great pic!

two words; NFL lockout.

Insane how? As referenced, Kiper is suggesting another year. He projects in the middle of the first round. If he comes back and shows more as a passer his stock goes through the roof. The signing bonus between the number 16 and a top 5 pick is vastly different. He needs another year to be drafted as anything but a developmental QB. He could make millions now or millions plus way more if he develops.

Why exactly would he be insane?

Great pic!

two words; NFL lockout.

Kickinwang wins!

The NFLPA told the players last week to prepare for a lockout because negotiations are not looking promising. Though there is still a current NFL season going on and a lot of time left before the next season starts, you have to remember that the the declaring deadline is just a month away (January 15), so Cam has to make his decision very much earlier than any negotiations that might keep a lockout from happening. There is a very good chance that by NFL draft time, in April, the NFLPA and the NFL owners will not even have come to any agreement yet, so it is highly doubtful that prospective underclassmen will have a good feel about what is going to happen with the 2011 NFL season year by January 15.

With such a question mark hanging over the NFL season, Cam might just think about coming back and doing something even bigger and harder to do...winning another Heisman and a repeat appearance at the BCS NC game.

Great pic!

two words; NFL lockout.

Kickinwang wins!

The NFLPA told the players last week to prepare for a lockout because negotiations are not looking promising. Though there is still a current NFL season going on and a lot of time left before the next season starts, you have to remember that the the declaring deadline is just a month away (January 15), so Cam has to make his decision very much earlier than any negotiations that might keep a lockout from happening. There is a very good chance that by NFL draft time, in April, the NFLPA and the NFL owners will not even have come to any agreement yet, so it is highly doubtful that prospective underclassmen will have a good feel about what is going to happen with the 2011 NFL season year by January 15.

With such a question mark hanging over the NFL season, Cam might just think about coming back and doing something even bigger and harder to do...winning another Heisman and a repeat appearance at the BCS NC game.

That repeat appearance in the BCSNC will be tough even if Cam stays...remember we have to replace 4 out of 5 O linemen. I would absolutely love it, but have to be a bit realistic. Realistically 8 maybe 9 wins next year, with Cam I would say 10. 24 seniors is a lot to lose plus our schedule does not stack up in our favor the way it did this year.

Caption: Future...Present.

165352_139931606061699_100001345802411_201367_4703268_n.jpg

Here's hopin' Kiehl asked Cam to stay one more year to show him the ropes ;)

I'm also hearing that a multitude of recruits attended the banquet. Talk about one heck of a recruiting tool.

CAM WILL RETURN!!!!!!

Kiehl is listed as 6'3 on most recruiting sites. Either Cam is standing on a pedestal or...

Cam is listed at 6'6", so it looks just about right to me.

Kiehl is listed as 6'3 on most recruiting sites. Either Cam is standing on a pedestal or...

Cam is a little closer to the camera. But.... he's a big dude....

Great pic!

two words; NFL lockout.

One sentence: Players must declare for the draft before the date the mythical lockout would be declared. In spite of all the posturing by both sides, too much money would be lost by all concerned in a lockout. In the immortal words of some gangster, "Lockout? fuggetaboutit".

Most analysts I've seen project Cam in the first half of the first round. That's several million dollars. Starting with the 2012 season there will in all probability be a rookie salary cap. He'd be better off going this year, even with a lockout.

Great pic!

two words; NFL lockout.

One sentence: Players must declare for the draft before the date the mythical lockout would be declared. In spite of all the posturing by both sides, too much money would be lost by all concerned in a lockout. In the immortal words of some gangster, "Lockout? fuggetaboutit".

Most analysts I've seen project Cam in the first half of the first round. That's several million dollars. Starting with the 2012 season there will in all probability be a rookie salary cap. He'd be better off going this year, even with a lockout.

Yes they do declare before a lock out would happen but if it ain't fixed by the time players declare its likely it will happen. Sounds to me like you are rooting hard for cam to leave

I guess I am missing your point with your "one sentence". The lockout is more than mythical if you ask me and I bet if you ask current NFL players or owners, they would agree. Like I said, the union has told the players to be saving money because it is looking very unlikely that anything will be resolved before an official lockout can be declared, which would be in March by everything I have read. That means no draft either. So with that looming, I would think it would be reasonable for any underclassmen thinking about coming out early to be considering the possibility of a lockout when decided to declare or not. The fact that having to declare earlier only makes that decision harder not easier. If they did not have to declare until February or March, it would be easier because they would have more of an idea of what was going to happen with the 2011 NFL season.

Now, with that said, I wonder if there is something the NCAA would do to reinstate those that declare if there is a lockout? The problem with that may be that players usually hire an agent after declaring. They only have a 72 hour window to withdraw their declaration as long as they have not signed with an agent. Maybe the NCAA could come up with a temporary rule saying that players could declare, disregard the 72 hour withdrawal window and instead extending it until March, as long as the player waits until then to sign with an agent. Asking too much from the NCAA?

I don't know what Cam and Nick will decide to do as far as the NFL is concerned. Lots of concerns are up in the air. But, I'm really glad they have sound minds on our coaching staff to depend upon giving them thoughtful advice. It was humorous during the Heisman Dinner when Coach Chizik spoke (paraphrasing) that he told Cam that he wasn't so sure if Cam could win another Heisman next year or not. Reminded me of when people used to tell Bo that he couldn't do something. :)

Quoting Ranger12: "I guess I am missing your point with your "one sentence"" It was in response to the the "Two words, NFL lockout" that kickinwang had posted earlier.

Quoting tigertail07: "Sounds to me like you are rooting hard for cam to leave". Why would I do that? Being realistic does not mean someone wants the worst. Back in the summer I was accused of being a hater because I said Fannin didn't have the knack for being a running back and he'd either wind up back at H-back or 3rd team RB. How did that turn out? I didn't wish anything bad for Fannin, but the writing was on the wall for anyone that would open their eyes and look.

If Cam Newton turns down a couple million dollars to play another year of college football, he's plumb crazy. If the lockout should happen, which is doubtful, he'd have to look at the specifics of the situation. Can he still pick up $2 million plus to go in the draft? If so, he should take it.

It's well and good for us to hope he'll return to play another year for Auburn, but as with many things, life intervenes. People of modest means cannot, in good conscience, turn down that kind of money.

If he stays in college another year he MIGHT get more money the next year. Again, he might not. Have none of you heard that a rookie salary cap starting in the 2012 season is part of the pending agreement? He's not gambling with play money here, his whole financial future is at stake.

As much as I love Auburn, were I Cam's financial adviser I'd advise him to announce for the draft. It's the only sane thing to do.

Quoting Ranger12: "I guess I am missing your point with your "one sentence"" It was in response to the the "Two words, NFL lockout" that kickinwang had posted earlier.

Quoting tigertail07: "Sounds to me like you are rooting hard for cam to leave". Why would I do that? Being realistic does not mean someone wants the worst. Back in the summer I was accused of being a hater because I said Fannin didn't have the knack for being a running back and he'd either wind up back at H-back or 3rd team RB. How did that turn out? I didn't wish anything bad for Fannin, but the writing was on the wall for anyone that would open their eyes and look.

If Cam Newton turns down a couple million dollars to play another year of college football, he's plumb crazy. If the lockout should happen, which is doubtful, he'd have to look at the specifics of the situation. Can he still pick up $2 million plus to go in the draft? If so, he should take it.

It's well and good for us to hope he'll return to play another year for Auburn, but as with many things, life intervenes. People of modest means cannot, in good conscience, turn down that kind of money.

If he stays in college another year he MIGHT get more money the next year. Again, he might not. Have none of you heard that a rookie salary cap starting in the 2012 season is part of the pending agreement? He's not gambling with play money here, his whole financial future is at stake.

As much as I love Auburn, were I Cam's financial adviser I'd advise him to announce for the draft. It's the only sane thing to do.

To do so would be insane on his part.

I still dont see how its insane. i see how if you were his financial adviser you would say so but you speak like there is not going to be a lockout and you know for a fact. Even Coach Saban said he has told his players if they aren't a lock for a first round pick then its not a good year to declare early. You said that there will be no lockout, but you do know that with the labor talks not going well that there will be a significant decrease in camps and nfl work outs for the guys that declare. that along with the possibility of a lockout is a pretty big turnoff to a lot of players especially for a QB like Cam who is going to need some work.

Now with those few things out there someone who only has one year as a starter ( albeit a good year ) still has a lot of work to do to be ready to be a NFL ready prospect. You statement about rookie salary caps are correct they are a huge topic in these discussions but let me ask you just one thing. Do you think Cam is really worried about the money? Or do you think he aspires to be the best, to be a legend in all levels? I personally dont think Cam is worried about how much money between this year and next. I think he will make a decision based on if he thinks he is personally ready because he seems to have a good head on his shoulders. I honestly dont know or have any idea what he is going to do. I hope he stays, I want someone like him to stick around for himself, and for his auburn family. I know Cam is an auburn man but i dont want another rudi johnson season

I think both the owners and players can see the carnage that happened to baseball and basketball with lockouts. Everybody, on both sides, loses. I expect them to pound their chests and make big threats until the last day, then sign something.

The reasons you give for Cam returning are altruistic. All that is very fine until it comes down to being able to afford a TV set or not being able to afford one. Then reality inserts its ugly self.

I'd love for him to stay, but I simply don't see it.

Still waiting on a valid reason that he would be "plumb crazy" to come back another year. Probable lockout, not a lock to be drafted high enough to command a huge salary, won't see the field for a year or two at best. Or come back, develop as a passer, increase his draft status--bigger salary and signing bonus.

And don't give me the injury crap. He could blow out a knee at the combine or training camp and still lose his money.

Unless he just blows people away at the pre draft workouts and tests and such he isn't playing his odds well. Another year could benefit him tens of millions of dollars.

He'd be plumb crazy because playing another year of college ball is a gamble. Cam Newton is in no financial position to gamble with a couple million dollars. If he develops as an NFL QB as there is every reason to expect, the tens of millions will come. In the meantime, he can sign a few papers this winter and be financially secure for life.

I know what I'd do, and any adviser with Cam's best interest at heart will tell him the same thing. "Enter the draft this year".

How will he develop as a passer? He's already set an all-time record for passing efficiency. Not much room for upside there.

Gil Brandt thinks he'll get drafted in the top half of the first round. How much higher can he reasonably expect to go?

Injury crap: Sure he can blow out a knee at a tryout. A few tryouts are a lot less risk than spring practice, summer two-a-days and a 13 or 14 game season. Then the same tryouts next year. That angle is all with coming out this time.

I believe that some of us are wanting him to stay at AU so badly that our reason is getting clouded.

Kiper has him in the middle of the first round. He can take a lot of money now or a lot more in one year. Most of his necessary expenses now are taken care of.

Passing efficiency can be misleading when discussing NFL potential. The knock on him from the NFL will be reading coverages and such. Another year, especially one where he will have to throw more, makes a huge difference in earning potential. The money will be there in a year, and in much larger sums than what he would currently get.

Think my desire to have him back is clouding my judgement if you will. He will make a ton more dough with another year as a starter under his belt. A financial advisor would look at long-term possibilities. Sure he can make money right now, or he can work and make more. I'm curious what financial straits you think a kid on a full ride that had a brother in the NFL would find themselves in.

I realize you think he's gone and you're entitled to your opinion. But you're kidding yourself if you dont think he could benefit from another year.

Archived