Pre-Oldschool-Aubie Aubie

War Eagle 96

As far back as I can remember, making trips to Andalusia from Tampa to see my Grandparents (now deceased) was filled with great memories. Among them was the fact that my sister and I got new Auburn jackets from my Grandmother every year and we got to hear stories about my dad heading off to Auburn as a freshman and the events surrounding my parents meeting in Auburn and stories about various Aunts and Uncles and Cousins that went to Auburn or attended school on the dark side. Anyway, trapped in my memory was a dresser and mirror that had made its way to the "front room" of my Grandparents house by the time I came around. Actually, it wasn't the dresser and mirror I remembered, but a decal image on the top center of the mirror. It was an Auburn sticker of Aubie. In my memory, it was the "old-school" Aubie we see today with the snarl and the hat cocked tilted to the side.

During the fuss and emotions surrounding my Grandmother's passing and services in Andalusia in the late 90's I lost track of what family member ended up with that dresser.

Last weekend I flew into Raliegh/Durham to meet my sister, my Aunt & my father to spend some time with my other Aunt that lives in the country northeast of town. She's been sick and we came in to see her for what may be the last time. Anyway, as I walked into her "front bedroom" there it was, smacked me right in the face, metaphorically. Take a look at the images, nothing like I remembered. This is a different Aubie. My other Aunt, to whom that bedroom furniture belonged as a child, says she remembers putting that sticker on that mirror in what must have been 1950. This looks nothing like any Aubie image I have seen. You can't see it in the picture, but in the clear margin of decal below the blue outline under the center of the bowtie is printed in small letters Johnston and Malone. So maybe this was J&M's own unoffical version of Aubie at that time?

Anyway, couple of questions/remarks:

Have any of you ever seen this version of Aubie before?

Is anybody out there good enough with photoshop or some program where you could take the wide shot and change the background to make it dark Navy Auburn Blue and format and size it so it can be used as an iPhone background or wallpaper?

Thanks!

Close Up

Wide Shot

As far back as I can remember, making trips to Andalusia from Tampa to see my Grandparents (now deceased) was filled with great memories. Among them was the fact that my sister and I got new Auburn jackets from my Grandmother every year and we got to hear stories about my dad heading off to Auburn as a freshman and the events surrounding my parents meeting in Auburn and stories about various Aunts and Uncles and Cousins that went to Auburn or attended school on the dark side. Anyway, trapped in my memory was a dresser and mirror that had made its way to the "front room" of my Grandparents house by the time I came around. Actually, it wasn't the dresser and mirror I remembered, but a decal image on the top center of the mirror. It was an Auburn sticker of Aubie. In my memory, it was the "old-school" Aubie we see today with the snarl and the hat cocked tilted to the side.

During the fuss and emotions surrounding my Grandmother's passing and services in Andalusia in the late 90's I lost track of what family member ended up with that dresser.

Last weekend I flew into Raliegh/Durham to meet my sister, my Aunt & my father to spend some time with my other Aunt that lives in the country northeast of town. She's been sick and we came in to see her for what may be the last time. Anyway, as I walked into her "front bedroom" there it was, smacked me right in the face, metaphorically. Take a look at the images, nothing like I remembered. This is a different Aubie. My other Aunt, to whom that bedroom furniture belonged as a child, says she remembers putting that sticker on that mirror in what must have been 1950. This looks nothing like any Aubie image I have seen. You can't see it in the picture, but in the clear margin of decal below the blue outline under the center of the bowtie is printed in small letters Johnston and Malone. So maybe this was J&M's own unoffical version of Aubie at that time?

Is anybody out there good enough with photoshop or some program where you could take the wide shot and change the background to make it dark Navy Auburn Blue and format and size it so it can be used as an iPhone background or wallpaper?

Thanks!

Close Up

Wide Shot

I think that is actually Aubie circa 1970's. Somebody must have removed the bloodshot lines from the eyes maybe. :poke:

That particular image of Aubie is a new one for me. I remember programs and posters from the late 50's with the "old school" Aubie and the only reference to that image I have been able to find is at http://www.ahsfhs.org/store/Auburn/Collectibles.asp where there appears to be a book of the old cartoons and such. However, that one picture of the book's cover is all I have been able to get to and that's all I can add to what you're after.

Good luck!

Editing to add: Here's another source for some old pictures of Aubie (among other mascots and such):

http://cecilbuffington.com/photo_78.html

I started being an Auburn fan in '63 and became a student in '65. I don't recall ever seeing that one before. He looks like a '60's Aubie that's been in the 'shroom patch. Stoned fer sho'.

Thanks!

Close Up

Wide Shot

I think that is actually Aubie circa 1970's. Somebody must have removed the bloodshot lines from the eyes maybe. :poke:

I was at Auburn from 1971-1976. I don't remember it.

I traced it in photoshop, doesn't look to bad imo. Instead of tracing the Auburn font, I just used another one.

auburnlogo.png

Fan-Freaking-Tastic! Thanks!

War Eagle86......one problem here is you are assuming this is a version of Aubie. It probably isn't. I have copies of Auburn game programs as far back as 1941. Many of them have tiger cartoons similiar to this one but they are way before Aubie.

• 5 years later...
On 2/16/2011 at 11:45 AM, BigSammyK said:

I looked up Phil Neel and found this: http://www.weagleweagle.com/page5.html

Nothing that really looks like that logo though so dating it still seems to be a mystery.

He was a talent.  He did a special cartoon for a team I played for in HS.  Wish I still had it.  

Everyone remember the "First Time Ever" tickets?  Kept mine for years.  

He's credited with creating Aubie.

On 2/18/2011 at 0:17 PM, Proud Tiger said:

War Eagle86......one problem here is you are assuming this is a version of Aubie. It probably isn't. I have copies of Auburn game programs as far back as 1941. Many of them have tiger cartoons similiar to this one but they are way before Aubie.

If Auburn was API before 1960, would they have thought to call the tiger "Aubie?"

10 minutes ago, PatBoCamRob said:

He was a talent.  He did a special cartoon for a team I played for in HS.  Wish I still had it.  

If Auburn was API before 1960, would they have thought to call the tiger "Aubie?"

I think, even though it was officially API until 1960, it has been informally called 'Auburn' since long before that.

On 2/17/2011 at 11:57 AM, aub_jw said:

I traced it in photoshop, doesn't look to bad imo. Instead of tracing the Auburn font, I just used another one.

auburnlogo.png

............................this is one of the first images when you Google 'Auburn old school logo'

3 hours ago, PatBoCamRob said:

Even when it was API everybody called us Auburn in those days.

I honestly think my grandmother has an old AU jacket or T-shirt with the same logo.  I have seen the logo for sure in the past.  They did not really follow Auburn until my dad went to school there in '78-'81. Not sure where it came from. 

Yes, Phil Neel started calling his own version of an Auburn Tiger "Aubie" in 1969. He wrote it on the cover of this Clemson program (see photo). He wanted to make sure everybody knew which Tiger was Auburn's and which one belonged to Clemson. He often referred to Clemson's Tiger as "Cousin Clem".  Auburn decided to keep the name when they made the original Aubie costume years later.

Before that time, Auburn used a lot of different cartoon type Tigers, but none were "official". In the 1940s (possibly earlier) bookstores (like J&M) focused on a handful of cartoon Tigers created by Angelus Pacific Company (still in business today). They made decals and schedules and their art was used for other things, including pennants. They created the "sleepy" Tiger above as well as the most recognizable "snarling" Tiger that we have all seen for years and is still used today. 

Although Auburn was officially API until 1960, they were always referred to as "Auburn". Old programs, tickets, pennants, etc. all would say Auburn. Occasionally, you would see something that has API in addition to Auburn, but those things are rare.

I would love to see the photos of the original decal on the mirror that "War Eagle 96" spoke about in the first post. For some reason it won't load for me.

69_CLEMSON-small1.jpg

23 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

I honestly think my grandmother has an old AU jacket or T-shirt with the same logo.  I have seen the logo for sure in the past.  They did not really follow Auburn until my dad went to school there in '78-'81. Not sure where it came from.

I think I have patch that has this exact logo, I will check when I get to the house this evening.

i wonder if they were trying to chqnnel the inner cool of the old cartoon top cat? anyone remember that cartoon?  lol  yess i am warped......

Ha. He does have a Top Cat look, although Top Cat would have been a few years after the Tiger. I think War Eagle 96 was right when he said the decal would have been around 1950. Top Cat was created in the 60s.

I know the "snarling" tiger logo goes back to at least 1946.

This has been my avi for a while and it's one of my favorite Aubie renditions. It was my phone lock screen for a while too actually. I'd love to get a hat with this on it. Jive stick smokin' Aubie is the man

Slightly off topic, the Tigers Eyes logo is still really cool to me. I have a hat with that on it and I always get compliments on it from strangers (up here in NC), that ask what logo/team that is because they like it. I wish we would utilize it more, it's got a cool look to it IMO. I know it's been phased out though.

Archived