Tide for Toomers / Designs

AU Lover

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My own judgment about what?

I was just surprised that a self-proclaimed Auburn fan was the one who created the red tree with the script A. Maybe I'm being too sensitive to stuff like that. The tree red tree offends me.

My own judgment about what?

I was just surprised that a self-proclaimed Auburn fan was the one who created the red tree with the script A. Maybe I'm being too sensitive to stuff like that. The tree red tree offends me.

The red tree offends me too.

Hi there. Yes, I'm the "self-proclaimed Auburn fan." I've been a fan since I was a kid...in a UGA household. When I was 5 years old, I wrote on a piece of paper that I wanted to go to Auburn University to be a Design Engineer. I lived the dream, and attended Auburn from 1998-2002. I graduated with a degree in Industrial Design and things came full circle. Since that time, I've been a mentor to young AU design students and represented my University as a leading professional in my field. Now, I'm a dad of a 2 year old little girl who knows that the AU logo is "Auburn", loves Aubie, and says "War Eagle" at the drop of a hat. On Thursday evening, after listening to sports talk in Birmingham all day and watching all the events of the Toomer's incident unfold, I was inspired to create a design that I could share with some friends as my own personal tribute. That design went viral and things went crazy from there. As a good Alum who's heart is right, I decided that all the hype about the designs could be put to good use if used for raising money to preserve our Toomer's tradtion. How amazing would it be to play a role in giving back to my alma mater for such a great cause. And so I contacted the University to show my designs, share my wishes and make sure this was handled properly in regards to licensing and fund raising. I still haven't heard back from them yet, but hope to by tomorrow

But back to Friday. While my designs were going viral, there was a bigger Facebook phenomenon growing. That was the Tide for Toomer's group, who in such a short amount of time has already raised almost $40K for our school as a sign of solidarity. In all the craziness of Friday, I was asked by a contributor if I had an Alabama version. I kept track of how the group was doing and decided that I would do my own part to support their cause by creating a modified version of my original Auburn Toomer's Oaks graphic. I chose to use the "A" as part of a tagline "Rise Above," which is exactly what that group and all the contributors were doing. At such an ugly time, and where our rivalry seemed to be headed to a dark place, the Alabama fans united to stand beside us instead of against us.

I say all of this to ask those to stand with me and that group. If your brother holds out his hand in a time in need, do you slap it away? We Auburn fans are better than that...at least I expect us to. Is my design really offensive now that you know the story? Is it still okay to question my loyalty to Auburn? I challenge you to search down deep, because a true Auburn man or woman lives by the Auburn Creed. This is bigger than the rivalry, and I hope if not now, someday you will have a change of heart. There, I've said my peace. The rest is up to you.

Hi there. Yes, I'm the "self-proclaimed Auburn fan." I've been a fan since I was a kid...in a UGA household. When I was 5 years old, I wrote on a piece of paper that I wanted to go to Auburn University to be a Design Engineer. I lived the dream, and attended Auburn from 1998-2002. I graduated with a degree in Industrial Design and things came full circle. Since that time, I've been a mentor to young AU design students and represented my University as a leading professional in my field. Now, I'm a dad of a 2 year old little girl who knows that the AU logo is "Auburn", loves Aubie, and says "War Eagle" at the drop of a hat. On Thursday evening, after listening to sports talk in Birmingham all day and watching all the events of the Toomer's incident unfold, I was inspired to create a design that I could share with some friends as my own personal tribute. That design went viral and things went crazy from there. As a good Alum who's heart is right, I decided that all the hype about the designs could be put to good use if used for raising money to preserve our Toomer's tradtion. How amazing would it be to play a role in giving back to my alma mater for such a great cause. And so I contacted the University to show my designs, share my wishes and make sure this was handled properly in regards to licensing and fund raising. I still haven't heard back from them yet, but hope to by tomorrow

But back to Friday. While my designs were going viral, there was a bigger Facebook phenomenon growing. That was the Tide for Toomer's group, who in such a short amount of time has already raised almost $40K for our school as a sign of solidarity. In all the craziness of Friday, I was asked by a contributor if I had an Alabama version. I kept track of how the group was doing and decided that I would do my own part to support their cause by creating a modified version of my original Auburn Toomer's Oaks graphic. I chose to use the "A" as part of a tagline "Rise Above," which is exactly what that group and all the contributors were doing. At such an ugly time, and where our rivalry seemed to be headed to a dark place, the Alabama fans united to stand beside us instead of against us.

I say all of this to ask those to stand with me and that group. If your brother holds out his hand in a time in need, do you slap it away? We Auburn fans are better than that...at least I expect us to. Is my design really offensive now that you know the story? Is it still okay to question my loyalty to Auburn? I challenge you to search down deep, because a true Auburn man or woman lives by the Auburn Creed. This is bigger than the rivalry, and I hope if not now, someday you will have a change of heart. There, I've said my peace. The rest is up to you.

First of all I was not questioning you being an Auburn fan. But since I don't know you, I could not say for certain that you are. Consequently the "self-proclaimed".

Secondly, yes the red tree with the bama A does still offend me. If they want/need a logo make them one that does not include an Auburn Oak and that resembles another design that you had already made for Auburn. If Auburn University had created that design it would still have offended me.

The red tree with the Alabama A offends me also. Why does there need to be a red tree? You can be assured the ones in Auburn aren't.

First, Welcome. Glad you found us.

Second, keep up the great work. Your designs are really good.

Lastly, if there's anything we can do to help in support of the cause, let us know.

WDE

Under no circumstances should our icons be splashed in blood red ( crimson ) and white. Artistically it may " look " neat or be a curious juxtaposition of colors and symbols, but in this case, it simply does not work. This is a case of over thinking an idea to the point that you've gone WAY off course. While not speaking to the idea behind the logo, in a practical and real world, the end result comes off as extremely offensive.

You can try to sell it any way you'd like, but in light of the events and and tensions, I'd strongly suggest retiring that logo.

Also, no money raised by that organization should ever find its way to the restoring of Toomer's corner. I suggest donating it to the Arbor Day Foundation.

http://www.arborday.org/

You make two mistakes:

1. bama is NOT my brother

2. We are not in need.

I ask you....how much money has bama really contributed?Pledging is one thing, sending in money as another? Can you tell me how much MONEY someone has actually received, who is the person to be held accountable, and how much is bama fans vs Auburn fans contributing?

Under no circumstances should our icons be splashed in blood red ( crimson ) and white. Artistically it may " look " neat or be a curious juxtaposition of colors and symbols, but in this case, it simply does not work. This is a case of over thinking an idea to the point that you've gone WAY off course. While not speaking to the idea behind the logo, in a practical and real world, the end result comes off as extremely offensive.

You can try to sell it any way you'd like, but in light of the events and and tensions, I'd strongly suggest retiring that logo.

Also, no money raised by that organization should ever find its way to the restoring of Toomer's corner. I suggest donating it to the Arbor Day Foundation.

http://www.arborday.org/

I'm sorry you feel that way. Unfortunately, we seem to look at the world through different lenses. So does all Alabama fans fit into the same mold as the infamous "Al form Daleville?" This world is a mighty big place, and small minded talk and actions only get you so far. Good luck with that.

You make two mistakes:

2. We are not in need.

I ask you....how much money has bama really contributed?Pledging is one thing, sending in money as another? Can you tell me how much MONEY someone has actually received, who is the person to be held accountable, and how much is bama fans vs Auburn fans contributing?

Since our own University has the Tide for Toomer's group bookmarked on the Auburn University Toomer's website, you tell me if you trust what is being done. Our own Univeristy supports them, so you may need to pass judgment beyond me.

http://ocm.auburn.edu/news/oaks_fund.html

I think you'll find that people, myself included, would prefer to distance ourselves away from them as much and as far as humanly possible.

I like the Auburn design a lot, but I'm not a fan of throwing bama colors on there. I understand your reasoning behind it, but I can't subscribe to it.

And a sidenote: Matt, I sent you a PM. Check your inbox whenever it's convenient, please sir.

You make two mistakes:

2. We are not in need.

Since our own University has the Tide for Toomer's group bookmarked on the Auburn University Toomer's website, you tell me if you trust what is being done. Our own Univeristy supports them, so you may need to pass judgment beyond me.

http://ocm.auburn.edu/news/oaks_fund.html

What I'm trying to say is that you and lots of other folks are assuming that the money being pledged to this site is from bama fans. Not true. Do you know know what the breakdonw bis between Auburn pledges and bama pledges. Our own university has a fund thru the Auburn Alumni Assn. Which one would you donate to?

Here! Here! Very nice design work, by the way. I've always preferred orange and blue to crimson, but with the tagline "Rise Above", I can see where you're coming from. I take it to mean rise above the bile, and find that to be a healthier attitude.... for myself and for others of the crimson persuasion. Updyke and his dastardly actions need to be condemned. However, I refuse to allow myself to be pulled down to his level of hatred. No chance. My Auburn Family has taught me better than that. As to how others feel or act, that's beyond my control.

War Eagle!

Expanding on my position (and points already raised by others)...

I think we all ought to strive to overcome the nastiness of the rivalry.

To me, TfT appears to be a genuine effort by decent alabama fans who are putting their money where there mouth is in condemning a hateful act.

So, I conclude that alabama fans trying to raise money for the cause -- especially since it appears to be AU approved (i.e., all the money will be going to the AU-controlled fund that has been established) -- is a good thing.

Just my two cents.

Congratulations for using your talent and ingenuity towards a worthy cause. I applaud your efforts.

I think what the others are saying is that they don't want a UA scent mark on the Auburn campus.

For the UA supporters that want to make a contribution I would recommend scrapping the Red color and UA offical logo (which you can't use without permission). Make the tree green the roots brown and call it Alabamians for Toomers Corner.

Little Doc

NEWS FLASH

We (BAMA) didn't kill anything! Some nut job did this act. I especially had nothing to do with it.

I think you were the ring leader. :rolleyes:

:poke:

NOTE: For any who would take that as fact - it was a joke. That's why these :rolleyes:

:poke: were posted.

NEWS FLASH

We (BAMA) didn't kill anything! Some nut job did this act. I especially had nothing to do with it.

Don't ' News flash " me. Bama did this. Bama fans, save for a tiny handful ( and I'm even suspect of their motives ) are laughing and having a field day over this.

This is a writer for the Times Dailys posts about this subject "FREAKING DANG"!

Lisa Singleton-Rickman it's the general consenus in this newsroom that once again alabama has saved au from themselves---1,000 roles of toilet paper is the equivalent of one tree---I'd dare say those fools have used much more than 1,000 rolls of paper covering their own two oaks!!

previously the day before, this sidewalk alum filth worshipper posted this about the wider coverage the story was receiving:

Lisa Singleton-Rickman there is apparently going to be news coverage from national news outlets about the barn's freaking trees. I am sure that these will be about how ridiculous it is that a dang university in Alabama throws freaking toilet paper into trees making the state look bad

( No ma'am, it was about your inbred,unemployed sidewalk trash of a fan , who named his kids Crimson Tide and Bear Braynt, couldn't stand the fact that his beloved team was spotted 24 pts , in their own stadium, ended up getting punked by the eventual National Champion Auburn Tigers. THAT, you witless ' newsie ', is what the coverage was all about. Bimbo )

and, from bama mag.com...

zlw2188

'Bama Hall of Fame

14882 posts this site

Ignore this Member

WL1iu.gif

and ...

Untitled-1-1.jpg?t=1298070718

HEHE! Makes me mad that it was done so forgive me if I get a little offended by someone saying I had anything to do with it. And yes I know what he meant but we didn't do this. A lone "wolf" so to speak is responsible and should be held very accountable!

Archived