Tigers arrested

aumd03

There is no rehabilitation for people who would take a gun, break in someone's home, and rob them. Those guys are going to jail for a very long time and they deserve it. Hard to believe people with no more character than that were a part of our team. I am really disappointed in the players involved and in our coaching staff for bringing such thugs into our family.

Idiot alert.

I sorry, but if you are around these guys every day you have to know by now which ones are thugs. Armed robbery is way over the line. This isn't getting drunk and making a fool out of yourself, getting in a fight or something else stupid like kids are prone to do because of lack of maturity. I don't recall ever having one of our players involved in such a thing and I go back into the 50's. For a whole group of them to be involved in this there is something very wrong with the oversight from the coaching staff who brought them in. No, the coaches can't watch them every minute, but they should be a better judge of character than that. Armed robbery is 20 years and using a firearm in the commission of a felony is 5 more mandatory. That is a very serious crime and don't think for a minute that the national news reporters are not going to make this into a story about how Auburn is out of control. Jim Tressel knocked us off the front page for a couple of days, but here we go again.

Unless they do a good job of hiding it. To my knowledge, none of these kids have been in any trouble before. Mike McNeil has been here four years without having any incidents that I can remember.

What the hell do you propose they do short of being mind readers? Dumbass.

I thought it was against board rules to call fellow posters idiots and dunb asses.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't remember anything like this happening under Tuberville. The last major thing that I can remember as an Auburn fan was Robert Baker getting arrested under Bowden. I was just a little kid when that happened.

Just since Chizik's been coach, the "Swag Team", Eric Smith thing TWICE, CamGate, then the UGA game brawl, and now armed robbery.

Are these people that they knew and are friends of,or total strangers.The whole situation just seems strange. I am not defending anyone just looking for more information.

I don't remember anything like this happening under Tuberville. The last major thing that I can remember as an Auburn fan was Robert Baker getting arrested under Bowden. I was just a little kid when that happened.

Just since Chizik's been coach, the "Swag Team", Eric Smith thing TWICE, CamGate, then the UGA game brawl, and now armed robbery.

Swag team? Refresh my memory on that one, if you will.

E.Smith ? Yeah, the dude just didn't 'get' it. Every team is gonna have one of those.

Thuga brawl ? Hey, uga has a history of such stuff. Remember the '86 game ? Or the Florida game stunt ? Or the brawl w/ GT ?

CamGate ? Hey, as far as AU's concerned, there's no story there.

Armed robbery. Well, UT had some punks try a similar thing. Not totally unheard of , but with this team... way out of the norm.

I'm sorry but with success comes these kind of situation. We're getting a lot of talented players these days. So are teams like Georgia, Florida, and Ohio State, and look what happens...

I don't know why, but it seems like the kids blessed with natural talent always seem to be a little less mature when it comes to decision making.

Before the Iron Bowl in 2009 when Eric Smith got in trouble the 1st time, some lawyer representing the person Smith beat up came on Finebaum and talked about there being a small group of players on the team that Smith was apart of called the "Swag Team".

There is no rehabilitation for people who would take a gun, break in someone's home, and rob them. Those guys are going to jail for a very long time and they deserve it. Hard to believe people with no more character than that were a part of our team. I am really disappointed in the players involved and in our coaching staff for bringing such thugs into our family.

Idiot alert.

I sorry, but if you are around these guys every day you have to know by now which ones are thugs. Armed robbery is way over the line. This isn't getting drunk and making a fool out of yourself, getting in a fight or something else stupid like kids are prone to do because of lack of maturity. I don't recall ever having one of our players involved in such a thing and I go back into the 50's. For a whole group of them to be involved in this there is something very wrong with the oversight from the coaching staff who brought them in. No, the coaches can't watch them every minute, but they should be a better judge of character than that. Armed robbery is 20 years and using a firearm in the commission of a felony is 5 more mandatory. That is a very serious crime and don't think for a minute that the national news reporters are not going to make this into a story about how Auburn is out of control. Jim Tressel knocked us off the front page for a couple of days, but here we go again.

Unless they do a good job of hiding it. To my knowledge, none of these kids have been in any trouble before. Mike McNeil has been here four years without having any incidents that I can remember.

What the hell do you propose they do short of being mind readers? Dumbass.

I thought it was against board rules to call fellow posters idiots and dunb asses.

It is generally speaking, Resident Pedant. However, sometimes someone says something so bats**t stupid that nothing else suffices. Sorry that I couldn't keep it in in the face of such mindnumbing nonsense.

Ditto back to you. The coaches are responsible for recruiting the players to the program and the oversight of them when they get to school. Smith kicking the guy in the NC game, then Fairley hitting their RB in the face after the play. Acting like thugs in their finest hour with the whole country watching. Smith in trouble again a month later and kicked off the team. Now 4 other players involved in an armed robbery. Is that the image we want for Auburn football? I would defend the Cam thing from now on because I honestly think that is much ado about nothing, but the other stuff is over the line and certainly not the way we want Auburn football to be viewed by the rest of the world. This is another huge blow to the image of the program that is going to be difficult to overcome in the wake of all the other garbage, some of which was deserved and some not. I know Gene Chizik is a good Christian man and a great coach, but it is about time for him to have a good "come to jesus" discussion with his staff and team. Bottom line, act like thug on the field you are going home. Act like a thug off the field and you are still going home. No exceptions.

That's a whole of wasted keystrokes for not admitting that you can't read a kid's mind, that kids sometimes change over time from the person you first recruited, that you can't control them all the time and that they don't walk around with little red strobe lights warning you that they are about to do something stupid.

And for the record, this staff didn't recruit Eric Smith or Mike McNeil. And Fairley does not deserve to be lumped in with this group. We're going on year three with this staff and aside from Eric Smith's issues, there hasn't been some pattern of run-ins with the law. Issues that have come up have been handled privately and sternly whether it be Craig Stevens serving a 5 game suspension, Eric Smith being suspended or others being kicked off the team. That you could sit there with a straight face and act like the coaches should be clairvoyant or that they allow or encourage such behavior is just you being ridiculous in the quest for someone to blame. Blame the kids. They are old enough to know better and they made their own decisions. I have no doubts that Coach Chizik will have a "come to Jesus" talk with the team and staff over this. So stop pontificating as if you'd do any better or you know anything about what signs these guys gave off to indicate they were on the verge of something like this.

Stop saying dumb things.

I don't remember anything like this happening under Tuberville.

Right--Chizik is the root of all evil.

This is among the most ridiculous posts in this thread. Pure ignorance.

Pure ignorance, indeed.

First, say hi to Deandre Green. One of Tuberville's first prize recruits. He and another player were arrested in 2000 for discharging a handgun at a frat party.

Second, "CamGate" is not Chizik's fault. That you would say such a thing after all we know makes me question a lot about you.

Third, UGA started going after our guys from the opening whistle in that game, or do you not remember the personal foul they committed on the very first play from scrimmage?

Fourth, just because some lawyer angling for a lawsuit spouts something off doesn't mean it has credence.

The facts are we had a good run of time without incidents with the law and our players. But Eric Smith and Mike McNeil are xCTT recruits. McNeil in particular should have known better. He's a senior. Stop piling on nonsensical stuff to build a case you know doesn't hold water.

Right--Chizik is the root of all evil.

This is among the most ridiculous posts in this thread. Pure ignorance.

I was more saying that he looks like Marc Richt.

Pure ignorance, indeed.

First, say hi to Deandre Green. One of Tuberville's first prize recruits. He and another player were arrested in 2000 for discharging a handgun at a frat party.

Second, "CamGate" is not Chizik's fault. That you would say such a thing after all we know makes me question a lot about you.

Third, UGA started going after our guys from the opening whistle in that game, or do you not remember the personal foul they committed on the very first play from scrimmage?

Fourth, just because some lawyer angling for a lawsuit spouts something off doesn't mean it has credence.

The facts are we had a good run of time without incidents with the law and our players. But Eric Smith and Mike McNeil are xCTT recruits. McNeil in particular should have known better. He's a senior. Stop piling on nonsensical stuff to build a case you know doesn't hold water.

Tubby's finally gone and he's not coming back. Get over it.

Let me get this straight - are you trying to say this is CHIZIK's fault?

Are you really this clueless?? WOW....

You are going to reference some caller (I don't care what they say their title is) on finebaum as a credible source for information? Please. There are better sources of information at the local high school.

Chizik had nothing to do with Eric Smith being here. Every program has that 1 player that for whatever reason just can't seem to get a handle on their behavior. Chizik made him earn his way back ONCE....but after that he's done.

Camgate?? HUH?? Are you serious?? I guess you are yet another of the mindless drones that are buying in to what the Thamel, and Evan, and sportsbybrooks of the world are pimping. You do realize that absolute NONE of the stuff with Newton has ever had anything to do with Auburn, right? Wait, probably not.

UGA game? This is one of those many times I question if you have ever actually watched a football at all. Have you not seen UGA's recent history with on the field antics?

Armed robbery - Stupid mistake by 4 kids that should have known better and are paying the ultimate price for the mistake. I applaud chizik for the way he has swiftly handled this situation.

I was more saying that he looks like Marc Richt.

How is this anything like Mark Richt? Richt's problem is a complete inability to hand out stern punishment. Chizik has handed out stern punishment in numerous cases and has given out few "second chances".

I dont get what some of you are suggesting; that Chizik somehow suggested to these players that it would be OK to do this? I'm sorry, but there are some things a coach shouldn't need to "make clear" to his players. Armed robbery is one of them.

How is this anything like Mark Richt? Richt's problem is a complete inability to hand out stern punishment. Chizik has handed out stern punishment in numerous cases and has given out few "second chances".

The fact that Smith got a second chance at all makes me skeptical. Even before Smith was kicked off the team he still showed that he couldn't handle his anger. He kicked the Oregon player in the NC game. He didn't get kicked off the team until he was arrested a 2nd time.

Armed robbery is a no brainer. There's no 2nd chance for that.

The fact that Smith got a second chance at all makes me skeptical. Even before Smith was kicked off the team he still showed that he couldn't handle his anger. He kicked the Oregon player in the NC game. He didn't get kicked off the team until he was arrested a 2nd time.

His first arrest he knocked some drunk guy out...he absolutely deserved a second chance for that. The on-field stuff was thuggish but hardly enough to warrant dismissal. He kneed the Oregon guy in the ass BTW...I'm tired of people saying "kicked", and I still see people saying that he "kicked him in the head" which is blatantly wrong.

He got one benefit of the doubt mulligan and would have been kicked off for any petty secondary event; which is exactly what happened.

Armed robbery is a no brainer. There's no 2nd chance for that.

Not even Vandy kicks a player off the team for an angry outburst in a game. Stop acting like some mortal sin was committed here. He got in serious trouble again and his chances were over.

Who said they broke in to someones home. This sounds to me without more information a case where every body knew each other. Armed robbers do not leave people behind to call the police and arrest them a mile down the road. I do not agree coach Chizik and the staff can not be fortune tellers, so I am not disappointed in them. WAR EAGLE!

Mike McNeil was a Tubby recruit, so lets throw that out the window first thing.

Wow, it took 77 posts before someone blames at least part of our problem on Tubs. Wake up folks and stop drinking the orange koolaid. I admire Coach Chizik for his swift action here and the pictures of him show how hurt he is by this. But no matter how hard you try to recruit kids with high character and coach them to be good team members, there is always going to be some bad apples in the crowd. It's time we got realistic, quit being so naive, and quit our sometimes sanctimonious finger pointing at other schools. Our players are not all perfect citizens and no Auburn coach I know of should be

blamed for that more than any other.

Mike McNeil was a Tubby recruit, so lets throw that out the window first thing.

Wow, it took 77 posts before someone blames at least part of our problem on Tubs. Wake up folks and stop drinking the orange koolaid. I admire Coach Chizik for his swift action here and the pictures of him show how hurt he is by this. But no matter how hard you try to recruit kids with high character and coach them to be good team members, there is always going to be some bad apples in the crowd. It's time we got realistic, quit being so naive, and quit our sometimes sanctimonious finger pointing at other schools. Our players are not all perfect citizens and no Auburn coach I know of should be

blamed for that more than any other.

No one blamed Tubs. It was in response to a couple of people making stupid accusations of Chizik and the current staff for recruiting guys like this. Two of the five guys who have gotten in trouble with the law the last week or two and been kicked off the team were players Chizik had no hand in recruiting whatsoever. That's all that's being said.

And I agree with the rest of your post for the record. You can't always predict or prevent what a short sighted kid will do. You do the best you can trying to recruit kids you think have the right attitude and character and you try to give them proper oversight. But coaches aren't omniscient nor omnipresent.

Who said they broke in to someones home. This sounds to me without more information a case where every body knew each other. Armed robbers do not leave people behind to call the police and arrest them a mile down the road. I do not agree coach Chizik and the staff can not be fortune tellers, so I am not disappointed in them. WAR EAGLE!

They were charged with first degree burglary. That is by definition the unlawful breaking and entering into someone's home.

Concerning the "fight" at the end of the thUGA game. If there was an on field AU team discipline problem there would have been other fights. The only other attempt at a fight was with Arky, and the Arky players stopped their own player who tried to start one. The fight with thUGA was their fault. If any thing our guys got suckered and the refs lost control of the game.

The coaches seem to keep tight control on the players during the season, they cannot watch them the entire year with that much oversight.

These guys are not adults yet. They make mistakes and some make very bad mistakes. Their maturity and playing skills are not well developed in many cases. Some never develop the playing skills and some never mature either. Many players never meet the coaches expectations and may even really go to the dark side. Look at the NBA and NFL for the lack of maturity there too.

Before the Iron Bowl in 2009 when Eric Smith got in trouble the 1st time, some lawyer representing the person Smith beat up came on Finebaum and talked about there being a small group of players on the team that Smith was apart of called the "Swag Team".

K. First I'd heard of that term. As I recall, Smith got into a tussle w/ 1 guy who was jealous of an ex g/f or some such... it sounded like E.S was sucker punched, and then put the sucker on the ground. As was the case w/ the uga game and the BCS game, his retaliation is what got him into trouble.

Archived