Updyke Allegedly Attacked

jaredm2012

What's so funny is how fast the Bamzos bought this story yesterday on the Finebaum Show. They had the word of Updyke, which most fans on both sides agree has mental problems, and the secondhand word of a lawyer (who loves the spot light). These folks are making fools of themselves.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's so funny is how fast the Bamzos bought this story yesterday on the Finebaum Show. They had the word of Updyke, which most fans on both sides agree has mental problems, and the secondhand word of a lawyer (who loves the spot light). These folks are making fools of themselves.

Not surprised; they bought the story of 13 NC's didn't they?

"In order for this man to receive a fair trial there should be a change of venue. In fairness to all parties the trial should be moved to Tuscaloosa."

Things must have changed a lot since graduated from AU in '85. Back then there was a LOT of animosity toward the university by locals, plenty of folks that would give this clown more than the benefit of the doubt.

I guess you missed the sarcasm in my comment. It was intended but maybe not obvious.

Well, according to Jay G. Tate, someone is lying. The gas station employee has no reason to lie and Updyke has already revealed his preference for going against social/moral norms. My vote goes with Hellboy's twin.

The news media has gone way over the top on this. In yesterday's Huntsville Slime, the story was in the sports section. Today, the non-attack was on the top of the fold on the front page. Is this the most important thing happening in Alabama ? Evan Woodbery, Times Auburn Bureau, says this "added another bizarre wrinkle to a case that has made national news and raised questions about the ferocity of one of the most celebrated football rivalries".

What Bravo Sierra ! It is the news media that has been and is now guilty of fanning the flames on this just to sell a paper or get air time. I'm ready to vomit when I hear an ESPN expert or Hey Paul say anything about the rivalry, this MINOR incident, or anything else about the state of Auburn athletics. WE Auburn fans and supporters "ain't " the problem here.

I'm going to send a very professional but stern email to the Huntsville Slime's editor. If he can't put some quality back into the local tabloid of his, then I will cancel my subscription, and I hope others will as well.

Have a great day you media pukes.

I knew the Toomer's Oaks took out a contract on Updyke! He was attacked behind the station by those oak trees back there. They were just carrying out the contract. If they look at the cut on his head there would probably be oak bark in it!!! :roflol:

Tiger Express on the corner of 700 Shelton Mill Road and US280 is at a very remote location.

He did make the mistake of not checking to see who was watching from the only house nearby just to the rear of the station.

Take a look on Google maps.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=700+shelton+mill+road,+auburn,+al&aq=&sll=32.653712,-85.451623&sspn=0.011888,0.031886&g=700+shelton+mill+road,+auburn,+al&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=700+Shelton+Mill+Rd,+Opelika,+Lee,+Alabama+36830&ll=32.654389,-85.450732&spn=0.002972,0.007972&t=h&z=18&lci=com.google.webcams

Updyke is on slimbaum. He has now said he sat in the car 20-30 minutes talking to a friend on the phone before going into the store.

Updyke is on slimbaum. He has now said he sat in the car 20-30 minutes talking to a friend on the phone before going into the store.

I call bull****...that guy can't possibly have friends.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and add my name to the growing list that places this "Attack" in the BS column.

IF I were to nail some bozo hard enough to knock him out, I guarrantee he would have a Hell of alot more damage that a "scratch" on his

retarded sloped Neanderthal forehead.

Just heard Updyke introduced on the Finebaum show to tell his story of what allegedly happened to him at the convenience store as he was leaving the Lee County Courthouse. he said before he got started that he wanted to apologize to those people who he had hurt most in this situation. So I am thinking that he is going to apologize to Auburn people for poisoning the Toomer's Corner Oaks. What proceeds to come out of Harvey's mouth is an apology to his family and to the University of Alabama. Give me a break. His lawyer stated that he was very remorseful for what he had done. Sounds like he is only remorseful because he got caught. I was leaning on the side of a light sentence, but not now. Throw the book at the guy and send him to jail for the full ten years. Maybe over that ten years he will develop some remorse toward the people he actually hurt most by this. I have come to the conclusion that most bammer fans are Updykers at heart.

Updyke's lawyer says his client didn't want any more publicity. So, of course, lawyer lets him go on Finebaum bc that's always stealthy.

@BFeldmanESPN

If Threatt thinks publicity hurts his client's case, why did he hold a press conference at the courthouse yesterday? #justsaying

@HABOTN

Recap of his PF interview...

AUBURN, Ala. -- Harvey Updyke, the man accused of poisoning the historic oak trees at Toomer's Corner in Auburn, said he expects to go to jail for his alleged crimes.

Speaking publicly for the first time in a rambling interview on the Paul Finebaum radio show Thursday, Updyke also reiterated his claim that he was attacked Wednesday in Opelika after a court hearing.

Updyke said he stopped to get a drink and was hit as he got out of his car.

"This is not a Charlie Sheen stunt," he said. "I'm not winning. I'm losing."

Updyke said he didn't blame an Auburn fan for his alleged assault.

"I'm not saying it was an Auburn fan," he said. "There's a lot of Alabama people upset, too."

While not confessing to poisoning the trees, Updyke did acknowledge that he was "Al from Dadeville," the caller on the Finebaum show who bragged of the poisoning.

"I definitely called the show," he said. "I don't want my legacy to be the Auburn tree-poisoner...I guess it's too late now."

He apologized for embarrassing Alabama.

"Do I want the trees to die? No. I'd give anything in the world if this had never happened," he said.

Updyke spoke openly during the interview of his love for Crimson Tide football, even naming his children Bear Bryant and Crimson Tyde.

"Is it stupid? Yeah, looking back it's probably stupid," he said. "But Crimson likes her name and Bear likes his name."

Updyke said he understands why people are skeptical of his assault allegations, but insists his injuries were legitimate and he has no reason to make up the story.

"They didn't try to kill me," he said. "If they did, they would have hit me more than one time."

At the end of the interview, Updyke signed off in the same way he did as "Al from Dadeville."

"I've got to say one thing before I get off the air," he said. "Roll Damn Tide."

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/04/harvey_updyke_story.html

According to store employees, Updyke never went in the store. There is video surveillance at the gas pumps and at the entrance. No such person entered the store.

There is 0% chance that this guy was attacked. A pretty good chance he never even stopped at that store. In another interview, he said he sat in his car out back behind the store for 30 to 45 minutes talking on the phone and watching people enter and leave the restrooms. The restrooms at that store aren't outside, they are inside.

"Updykes" is getting to be an even bigger insult as the days pass.

Latest from JGT:

Hey everyone.

So Harvey Updyke, who has been charged with poisoning the Toomer’s Corner oaks, appeared on Paul Finebaum’s radio program this afternoon. If that sounds like a train wreck, well, that doesn’t do it justice.

There were too many great lines to write a story. I’d prefer to just list them:

• Updyke admits to being Al From Dadeville, who made the initial call to Finebaum earlier this year to announce the poisoning.

• “It’s one of the biggest mistakes I’ve made. My wives said I am a crowd-stirrer. I was just trying to upset the AU nation.”

• If that sounds like a confession, you’re right. Updyke’s attorney quickly reminded Updyke to avoid confessing on the air.

• “Really and truly, I’m not a bad person. I’m an Alabama fan.”

• “I really think they’re going to put me in prison. I really do.”

• Updyke said he wasn’t getting gas at the Tiger Express station yesterday. He was getting some green tea — after sitting in the parking lot for 25 minutes while talking to a friend on the phone. “Everybody knows I have real bad diabetes. I was thirsty.”

• “Somebody hit me. Both of my eyebrows are bruised.”

• On the store clerk, who said she never saw Updyke yesterday: “Why they said I didn’t (walk inside the store), I don’t know.”

• “I apologize to what I’ve done to the University (of Alabama). I know I have not helped.”

• “I’ve hurt the University of Alabama. That’s the last thing I wanted to do. It started out as a prank.”

• Updyke never apologized to Auburn University.

• “I don’t want to cry. It’s my own fault.”

• “To the Auburn people, I don’t blame them (for being mad). I’m gonna get what I deserve.”

• “If they put me in (jail), it’s going to be rough. I don’t want to go to my grave being Harvey The Tree Poisoner. I’ve done a lot of good things. That wasn’t one of them. I would’ve been remembered as a great father, great grandfather.”

• “The judge won’t let me go to Texas to see my grandchildren. I’ve got either 15 or 16 grandchildren in Texas.”

• On the possibility of going on the lam: “Where am I gonna go? I don’t have the money to go to Australia or someplace. I’ll have to face the music.”

• Updyke’s final statement of the day: “This is going to make people mad, but I’ve got do it. Roll damn Tide.”

http://madvertiserblogs.com/HABOTN/2011/04/21/updyke-expects-to-go-to-jail/

Add me to the group that calls this story BS. This whole story doesn’t make any sense. First he’s supposedly concerned for his safety but stops at “The Tiger Express” in the heart of Auburn Country. Concerned for his safety he parks behind the station. After he exits his vehicle he’s attacked but doesn’t see his attackers. That’s right a man that’s so concerned for his safety and parks in the rear of a convenient store doesn’t check his surrounding when exiting his vehicle. I don’t know about any of you but if I were concerned for my safety my head would be on a swivel checking out my surroundings. On top of that the wounds he received seem to be very superficial

Add me to the group that calls this story BS. This whole story doesn’t make any sense. First he’s supposedly concerned for his safety but stops at “The Tiger Express” in the heart of Auburn Country. Concerned for his safety he parks behind the station. After he exits his vehicle he’s attacked but doesn’t see his attackers. That’s right a man that’s so concerned for his safety and parks in the rear of a convenient store doesn’t check his surrounding when exiting his vehicle. I don’t know about any of you but if I were concerned for my safety my head would be on a swivel checking out my surroundings. On top of that the wounds he received seem to be very superficial

Interesting point I saw in a tweet: in an NRA state second only to Texas, Harvey only got a scratch on his forehead?

Archived