Mell Classroom Building

RunInRed

Mell Hall is no more...

9sxw14.jpg

@JohnCarvalhoAU

H/T @wareaglereader

According to the advertised bid, scope of work includes...

The general scope of the work includes but is not limited to: Complete demolition of building including removal of foundation walls, footings, and site utilities plus placement of structural fill in basement area. Project scope will also include new sidewalks and sod.

https://sites.auburn...ng/default.aspx

Background:

Campus buildings to be demolished

by Kristen Ferrell / CAMPUS EDITOR

Mell Hall, Sewell Hall and the Alpha Psi fraternity house are scheduled to be demolished in efforts to update and revitalize the image and character of campus.

“Every university—to stay modern—has construction programs, but you’ve also got to tear old stuff down. You just can’t accumulate old junky buildings,” said Dan King, assistant vice president for facilities. “A healthy campus has a construction program and also a demolition program, and that is the way it should work.”

Located closer to the center of campus, Mell Hall’s absence is going to be the most noticeable to students as well as tailgaters who take over the corner of Mell Street and Roosevelt Drive every year with tents and grills.

Built in 1920, Mell Hall was named in honor of Annie White Mell, a 20th-century campus and community leader. King said the building is not worth renovating.

“Mell Hall is in very poor condition,” King said. “If we had to renovate that building, you would have to gut and replace the roof and windows. It’s a great location, and the university will eventually do something better with it.”

Read more: http://issuu.com/the...docs/07142011/3

Never went in that building in my time (95-99) but had a class in Spidle next to it. They seemed to be similar in age and condition when I was there.

The other day my girlfriends father and I had a nostalgic conversation about classes we had in Parker hall and it ended with the both of us wondering when the hell they are going to tear down that eyesore of a torture chamber. If you're gonna put a kid through physics II it should at least be in a nice building. That lot has so much potential being adjacent to the amphitheater and the stadium and its all wasted on such an ugly building.

Edit: just read the other thread re: Haley et. al. Good riddance.

Parker and Allison are on the chopping block as we speak.....another 8-12 months before the get to it unless something changes.

I can't wait until Parker/Allison are gone, and hopefully something much more beautiful put in their place. That's a very heavily trafficked area of campus for both students and alumni/fans, and could really use a nice update.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I guess schools have to built cheap at times. Some building last a century or more and a few look bad after 30 years.

So, tearing down Mell Hall and building another addition to the Draughon Library for classrooms. Sounds like a good strategy.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I often thought they put all the tortuous classes in Parker so students would hate just one place. In any case, I suffered through my time there but I certainly won't be nostalgic if if gets "disappeared". It doesn't bring back happy memories.

I often thought they put all the tortuous classes in Parker so students would hate just one place. In any case, I suffered through my time there but I certainly won't be nostalgic if if gets "disappeared". It doesn't bring back happy memories.

Agreed.

Agreed.

You mean like open book test calculus? Sure, open book tests sound great...until you learn that it really means the test is going to have questions on it that aren't in the book and weren't covered in class... I'm a math person and that to this day still aggravates me lol.

I dread the increased traffic on college (detour) but it will be great when it's done.

• 2 weeks later...

I dread the increased traffic on college (detour) but it will be great when it's done.

:'(

LOL!

Archived