***AUBURN vs. Utah State -- Post Game Thread***

RunInRed

An ugly win is better than a loss! The country's longest winning streak remains intact at 16 games. War Eagle!

"Lean on Me" coming from locker room. That appears not to have graduated either.

AU ran for 78 yards. Didn't dip below 100 in any game last year.

Receiving standouts: Blake 3-95, TD; Stallworth 4-93, TD.

Gene Chizik: "I was pleased with a very young team fighting through adversity and persevering through times that didn't look very good."

Chizik: "just did not play well as a football team. There's no excuse for that. We did not play well."

Chizik praised special teams, naming Tre Mason and Cody Parkey.

Chizik: "I thought it was a very poor defensive performance. That is not acceptable at Auburn."

Chizik: "We're going to be happy to get Eltoro back next week. But that was not the issue (with the defense)."

@AUBlog

Chizik: "Anytime you get a win, no matter how you get it, you have to be pleased with that."

Chizik: "You never look at the clock and the scoreboard until the clock reads 0:00."

Chizik said the last quarter -- and last quarter only -- is when Auburn looked like a "college offense."

Chizik on Trotter: "I thought Barrett had his moments. He's going to see the film and know that he could play much better."

Chizik: "They've got to grow up. We'll get better. It's going to be a journey for those guys."

Chizik said Emory Blake was one of two designated catchers on the onside kick. Auburn works it several times a week.

Chizik said Tre Mason has shown "an incredible amount of savvy" on kick return. Shows a lot of "courage back there."

Chizik: "I'm not going to measure the magnitude of how far off we are. I know that that performance on off and def won't win us many games"

@wareagleextra

Chizik, "Offensively, defensively, we are a long way off from winning very many games."

@JHokanson

Auburn’s Gene Chizik: “We looked like a defense that was extremely young... We didn’t play well. No excuses.”

@AUGoldMine

Auburn's goal for offensive snaps is 80. How many did Auburn have Saturday? 54.

@HABOTN

Periods of brillance and also periods of looking really young... Offense got clickin but then went back into vanilla... looked like Molzahn was trying to hide most of the play book until 2nd half... Defense looks like early 2010 without the seasoned monsters on the D-line.

They played like a bunch of young guys and won at the end. That should give them some confidence. They will need some confidence and better play on both sides of the ball.

War Eagle

We are going to have to accept the growing pains this young, inexperienced team is going to go through. There's talent on the outside for sure, but the trenches are going to be a struggle for the Tigers.

Chizik: "I thought it was a very poor defensive performance. That is not acceptable at Auburn."

Here's looking at you Ted Roof. Learn to defend the quick screen, please.

War Eagle!

Heck of a comeback, it definitely showed that the team can get it done when it seems lost. Offense looked good when they opened up the playbook (passing freed up the running game, reverse of last year), special teams looked pretty good, great kickoff returns, Parkey has a monster leg. The D... yikes. I know they're young, but that looked *bad*. The passes in the flat were just not defended well, too many runs up the middle.

I'll tell you, though, I'll bet anything that we'll get better as the year progresses. A lot of potential out there on the field!

Not sure I can take many more games that close, but it's a win against what was obviously a very prepared (and good!) opponent. Hat's off to USU. And cheers to the Tigers!

Pleased with the win........there are plenty of positives to draw on, though. We have playmakers on offense( 85 especially) but defense looked as if someone were holding them back....I don't know WDE!!! anyway

Relieved to get the win but our team still looked awful for57 minutes, and there is no excuse for how pitiful they played today. Our D looked very poorly coached and it was clear that our rushing game wasn't working but still they would go to the pass and put that team away.

One positive: There are some REALLY pissed off bammers right now.

And several of us probably noted that the woman announcing the game kept mentioning the oaks by saying, "A MAN poisoned the trees." Why not admit that A BAMZO poisoned the trees?

Defense is going to have to be controlling those dump passes.

As I said after the Memphis game, msu showed their hand.

Offense looked great, questionable play calls a couple times, but overall trotter and company looked great.

That game was hard to watch. Easily one of Malzahn's worst called games since he has been here. I thought Trotter looked extremely well for his first start and leading some final drives to win the game. Our defense needs a LOT of work. I couldn't believe some of the holes that were opened up.... by Utah St...

Hats off to our WRs and special teams.

That game was hard to watch. Easily one of Malzahn's worst called games since he has been here. I thought Trotter looked extremely well for his first start and leading some final drives to win the game. Our defense needs a LOT of work. I couldn't believe some of the holes that were opened up.... by Utah St...

Hats off to our WRs and special teams.

Malzahn called plays like we had the same OL of last season. He will adjust, he always does.

I'm sure playing against our defense in practice has skewed his thoughts on our offense and messed with his play calling.

We have a long way to go on the OL and DL. Utah State controlled the line of scrimmage most of the day. On the other hand, Stallworth, Blake and Mason look like they are going to be studs.

Chizik needs to coach the defense and let Roof go. I've been criticalof Roof for 2 years now, his defensive style is readily recognizable...poor. Thanks to Gus for pulling out another game. 42pts needed to beat Utah State??? Come on.

And no matter how ugly it looked at times, the only thing that counts now is that Auburn has won 16 in a row, which remains the longest active winning streak among FBS teams.

Read more: http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/27127/tigers-fourth-quarter-magic-returns

11 players made their first career starts for AU today, 21 played in their first games and d16 freshmen -- true or redshirt -- played.

@AUBlog

Erique Florence, on his 1st game at JHS after many watching: "It went from me enjoying the game to me being a businessman."

Demetruce McNeal says he thinks the team started playing better defense in the fourth quarter because they switched to mostly man coverage.

Chris Brooks says he doesn't work the onside kick in practice often because it tweaks the muscles on the outside of his shin. But he also said it almost always works: "It's been three years in the making."

Tre Mason says he's now taken a kick return back to the house every year since the 7th grade.

DeAngelo Benton did not play today, just noticing. After all the building him up in camp, coincidence? Hurt? Trouble? Unclear.

@AUBlog

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: To the kicking teams.

Cody Parkey was booming the kickoffs. If every team has no chance of a return it is a plus for this young defense.

Kick returns were a big + instead of a shut your eyes and hope for the best. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I am hopeful next weeks return of Eltoro Freeman will be a big bonus for the defense.

The O line will get better.

The D line will get better.

It was a great win. Yes, our D looked completely overmatched. Yes, we realize that there is almost 0% chance on going 14-0 again. But this was likely the first time in history that we got to watch Auburn play on TV as the defending national champions. So enjoy watching these talented young guys grow up and...WAR EAGLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RB Robert Turbin: "I don’t think you understand how much this hurts to be up 10 with 4 minutes to go w/ the defending champs on the ropes."

<object id="flashObj" width="486" height="412" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,47,0"><param name="movie" value="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" /><param name="flashVars" value="videoId=1142310661001&playerID=648748947001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAQBxUKuk~,O7BxoSOXb6XQkA_b5L-4Vk5r4UUmQraR&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" /><param name="base" value="http://admin.brightcove.com" /><param name="seamlesstabbing" value="false" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="swLiveConnect" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=1142310661001&playerID=648748947001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAQBxUKuk~,O7BxoSOXb6XQkA_b5L-4Vk5r4UUmQraR&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="486" height="412" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" swLiveConnect="true" allowScriptAccess="always" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object>

@AUGoldMine

Archived